• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

My thoughts go out to everyone in PR. I feel selfish for bringing this up but my honeymoon is at the end of October-first week in November at El Conquistador resort in Fajardo. Should I be looking into alternatives?

Ricky_R

My thoughts go out to everyone in PR. I feel selfish for bringing this up but my honeymoon is at the end of October-first week in November at El Conquistador resort in Fajardo. Should I be looking into alternatives?

Hmm, hard to say, but it wouldn't hurt. I would say 50/50.

It's approximately a month away, so it should be good, but I would at least look for alternatives just in case.

Holy shit at that drop. I'm afraid for the people in the path of this, but at the same time I can't help being in awe at the raw power of nature that we're seeing.

Vestal

Gold Member
The next 48hrs for me will be gut wrenching. Have my folks, grandmother, 3 sisters, and 5 nephews back in the island..

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Snaku

Banned
Hoping for the best but fearing the worst for PR. GF and I visited last summer, and fell in love with the island. All of the people were so kind, and helpful.

GYODX

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that our infrastructure is going to be fucked beyond relief and am at the point where I'm honestly pretty scared for my life.

175 mph and still climbing... Will concrete even hold up to this shit? Full-blown anxiety attack over here...

Alebrije

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that our infrastructure is going to be fucked beyond relief and am at the point where I'm honestly pretty scared for my life.

175 mph and still climbing... Will concrete even hold up to this shit? Full-blown anxiety attack over here...

Concrete will do good but depends your location and surrounds , if there is a shelter is better to go.

No change or just didn't update?

SUMMARY OF 800 PM AST...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.0N 64.2W
ABOUT 60 MI...100 KM SE OF ST. CROIX
ABOUT 160 MI...255 KM SE OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...175 MPH...280 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...909 MB...26.84 INCHES

It's a change from the 5pm update. Still rapidly intensifying

Griss

I know all thoughts are rightly with Puerto Rico right now - good luck guys - but on a personal level the strength of the storm has me just a bit nervous now. I've been so sure it would miss us that I haven't prepared at all - totally unlike with Irma where I spent three days getting ready.

Looking at the 8pm update:

dXXKaXVl.jpg

...it's crazy how reliant we are on that final turn north on Thursday we are. According to this it's going to come right at my location (second blue dot) until just about 12 to 16 hours before it's due to pass, and then veer sharply north. When it was a Cat 3, that was whatever. The weak side of a smallish Cat 3 passing 100 miles away... pssh. No worries.

But when it's one of the most intense storms on record.... they had better be right about this. I think I'll get someone to help board me up again tomorrow just in case. Luckily I kept my boards and sandbags so there's much less to do this time around.

MaulerX

SUMMARY OF 800 PM AST...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.0N 64.2W
ABOUT 60 MI...100 KM SE OF ST. CROIX
ABOUT 160 MI...255 KM SE OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...175 MPH...280 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...909 MB...26.84 INCHES

It's a change from the 5pm update. Still rapidly intensifying

Thanks. Just bonkers what this storm is doing. ☹

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm in St. Croix and we are getting battered right now. The worst is yet to come but I'm shocked At&t has kept it's network up. Kudos to them, I'm glad to give them my business. Kinda scary right now with all the noise.

gdt

I know all thoughts are rightly with Puerto Rico right now - good luck guys - but on a personal level the strength of the storm has me just a bit nervous now. I've been so sure it would miss us that I haven't prepared at all - totally unlike with Irma where I spent three days getting ready.

Looking at the 8pm update:

dXXKaXVl.jpg

...it's crazy how reliant we are on that final turn north on Thursday we are. According to this it's going to come right at my location (second blue dot) until just about 12 to 16 hours before it's due to pass, and then veer sharply north. When it was a Cat 3, that was whatever. The weak side of a smallish Cat 3 passing 100 miles away... pssh. No worries.

But when it's one of the most intense storms on record.... they had better be right about this. I think I'll get someone to help board me up again tomorrow just in case. Luckily I kept my boards and sandbags so there's much less to do this time around.

It's make me feel so powerless and I'm not even there. Nothing to do but hope these people have it right and it will turn.

Someday hopefully we learn how to lessen the damage these things can cause. Whether it's pointing them in a harmless direction or force fields or something!

Seems like stopping them completely could have environmental consequences.

Vestal

Gold Member
I'm in St. Croix and we are getting battered right now. The worst is yet to come but I'm shocked At&t has kept it's network up. Kudos to them, I'm glad to give them my business. Kinda scary right now with all the noise.

Stay safe sir. My thoughts are with your island...

Don't give ATT credit yet... They really screwed up here in FL last week.

Vestal

Gold Member
It's make me feel so powerless and I'm not even there. Nothing to do but hope these people have it right and it will turn.

Someday hopefully we learn how to lessen the damage these things can cause. Whether it's pointing them in a harmless direction or force fields or something!

Seems like stopping them completely could have environmental consequences.

This is a sad part of mother nature just like earthquakes and tornados. All we can do is improve how we build structures, and how we alert the population and protect them.

Liberty is down in my area (northwest Puerto Rico). No TV or Internet services for the ONLY provider in the island of Puerto Rico. Let the fuckery begin.

MrJames

No change at 9PM. Probably leave it until recon gets back into the eye.

9:00 PM AST Tue Sep 19
Moving: WNW at 10 mph
Min pressure: 909 mb
Max sustained: 175 mph

Top Bottom