• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ivanka Trump to get access to classified information for... reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the cognitive dissonance is reaching any of those "I'm voting Trump because I'm sick of Clinton / Bush political dynasties" voters yet.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm not really sure it does...

I makes sense for their to be another, informal position to help with State ceremonial business, but why that couldn't be a daughter instead of a wife I don't know.

I'm not sure why she would need classified access for that.

jelly

So where the fuck is the ethics committee? Nepotism doesn't matter I guess.

Didn't they get rid of that in the first week.

I've got feeling these aren't actual laws but merely guidelines that a good gentlemen would follow so they never needed to make it tough. How else could he skirt it?

ZOONAMI

Didn't they get rid of that in the first week.

I've got feeling these aren't actual laws but merely guidelines that a good gentlemen would follow so they never needed to make it tough. How else could he skirt it?

I don't think they actually went through with gutting it. Iirc there are actual laws on nepotism.

Rembrandt

Banned
I'm not really sure it does...

I makes sense for their to be another, informal position to help with State ceremonial business, but why that couldn't be a daughter instead of a wife I don't know.

i guess i'm going off distance. flotus seems like the best person to be in that informal position considering the closeness to the president.

I'm not sure why she would need classified access for that.

also this.

her husband's a senior advisor; i don't see why she should get access to materials while still being able to distance herself from the white house/presidency.

Matt

i guess i'm going off distance. flotus seems like the best person to be in that informal position considering the closeness to the president.

also this.

her husband's a senior advisor; i don't see why she should get access to materials while still being able to distance herself from the white house/presidency.
The actual First Lady doesn't seem interested in doing this job, so the daughter could be filling the position instead.

Having other family members fill in for the First Lady for various reasons actually isn't uncommon.

Now, obviously none of this is to defend Trump or the administration, just pointing out that Ivanka having an office or working in the White House isn't a scandalous thing in and of itself.

Her getting security clearance? That's much more rare, but on the other hand FLOTUS has often been privy to classified information without ever actually getting clearance.

johnsmith

remember me
Plot twist: she's behind half the leaks, just to get rid of the insufferable men in her life.

giphy.gif

The definition for Nepotism should just feature a picture of Trump and his spawn, no need for words.

I wish some government official could stop this.

i-Lo

Presumably, she isn't party to an emolument clause and that means having unprecedented access to most sensitive economic and political information will give her immense opportunities to make substantial amounts of money from her future business dealings.

Ploid 3.0

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you our first female president. Cats out of the bag. Trump is her puppet, he's so many people's puppet. Who will be the final president though?

It seems you Americans lack a whole lot of actual laws and rules surrounding these things and just relied on tradition and informal agreements. No way she should have access to things like this.

It seems you Americans lack a whole lot of actual laws and rules surrounding these things and just relied on tradition and informal agreements. No way she should have access to things like this.

It's not that we don't have rules or formal agreements but that people with money and power are more free to skirt around those obstacles

wildfire

Banned
To be fair, the First Lady is also not an official position, and they get an office and staff in the White House.

Exactly.

Ivanka is the First Daughter because the First Lady is far less capable.

Personally I don't mind the security clearance being granted but it is unusual.

Exactly.

Normally anyone that close to the President also rids themselves of conflicts of interest. There is no indication at all that Ivanka plans to do that--or even that Trump has actually followed through with doing that.

Culex

Banned
Exactly.

Pretty sure it's unprecedented. There is zero reason she should have access to confidential or classified into, unless she is holding an actual white house position.

ZOONAMI

Pretty sure it's unprecedented. There is zero reason she should have access to confidential or classified into, unless she is holding an actual white house position.

She is an official advisor? Aka we don't give a fuck about nepotism. She probably has a salary and is getting our tax $.

wildfire

Banned

It is unprecedented.

I would bet they are doing this because the admin is so corrupt and incompetent they felt the need to protect her by granting jet officially the clearance to hear things that will get most of them in trouble once Trump is impeached.

It's also important to note that while FLOTUS tends to have a role and Ivanka is allegedly filling such a role, the Office of the First Lady is in the East Wing of the White House. The West Wing is traditionally (and exclusively) close advisers and people who work directly for the President. This is an unorthodox move. I imagine it's because they cannot legally make her a salaried adviser to the President without violating Nepotism laws.

If Ivanka becomes the first female president, that'll be a real knife in the heart to Hillary

Republicans will never elect a woman. Not as it stands right now. A lot of Republicans (especially Evangelicals) would rather abstain from voting than give a woman the highest office in the land. Also, I don't think Ivanka is actually a Republican at heart. She may be going along with her father for personal benefit but reports point to her and Jared being a lot more moderate than Trump/Bannon.

Ivanka feels like the kid who agrees to move back to their parents town to take care of them so they don't have to be put in a nursing home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom