• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreupp

I think it would be a huge mistake not to include a motion control from the start. It is very hard to establish something with a system if it isn't launched with it and Kinect is about the only example I can think of. I think Nintendo will lose a lot of what worked this generation if they don't include motion controls from the start.

I think it would be a huge mistake not to include a motion control from the start. It is very hard to establish something with a system if it isn't launched with it and Kinect is about the only example I can think of. I think Nintendo will lose a lot of what worked this generation if they don't include motion controls from the start.
but the motion controls aren't what need establishing, the upad is what needs it.

EDarkness

well there is a fucking huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge market of gamers who will buy shooters without motion controls. See battlefield 3 and COD games on the ps360. So "what gamers want" isn't the best defense for it, it would have to be some massive campaign, operation rainfallx100.

Anyway I'm standing by it, will it continue to be supported, I say yes, to an extent. Will it come in the box? I doubt it because of the many reasons I mentioned. I'd be surprised.

Sure, but there was no other way to play those shooters on those systems. Considering how many players actually purchased CoD on the Wii when they had the option to play better supported versions, I'd say there's also a huge market out there who want IR shooting. However, it's pretty safe to say that if they don't include a remote in the box, the amount of support will definitely drop. And the likelihood of there being remote only games drops to almost zero. Including the remote in the box gives developers tons of control options and means they can make pretty much any kind of game they want.

Again, it really comes down to gamers, but they'll be more likely to get what they want if the remote is in the box than not.

Sure, but there was no other way to play those shooters on those systems. Considering how many players actually purchased CoD on the Wii when they had the option to play better supported versions, I'd say there's also a huge market out there who want IR shooting. However, it's pretty safe to say that if they don't include a remote in the box, the amount of support will definitely drop. And the likelihood of there being remote only games drops to almost zero. Including the remote in the box gives developers tons of control options and means they can make pretty much any kind of game they want.

Again, it really comes down to gamers, but they'll be more likely to get what they want if the remote is in the box than not.
I want the console to be as cheap as possible at launch. If that means they have to omit a wiimote and nunchuk then I am downnn. That's just me though, like I said, I only enjoy motion in very rare circumstances.

But yes, support will probably drop if it's not included. But I think it'll be easy to implement as secondary controls. I could see devs adding them in to appease whoever. Just about everyone that wants motion to live on the wiiU like it did on the Wii, already have the controllers.

I want the console to be as cheap as possible at launch. If that means they have to omit a wiimote and nunchuk then I am downnn. That's just me though, like I said, I only enjoy motion in very rare circumstances.

But yes, support will probably drop if it's not included. But I think it'll be easy to implement as secondary controls. I could see devs adding them in to appease whoever. Just about everyone that wants motion to live on the wiiU like it did on the Wii, already have the controllers.
And remember in the Ghost Recon Online WiiU promo vid, they showed the girl using the Wii remote in an online game. So we at least know that it's on the minds of devs.

Roo

I dont think wii u will include a Wiimote and a Nunchuk because most people already have a Wii with controller. You just need to get your old wiimotes and use them for the wii u. If you need one, just buy one.

1. This is more about a business perspective than what I want/need
2. Yeah, the Wii U controller is the new main one BUT you have to consider that the console likely (if ever) won't support more than two. So there's no option and makes it mandatory for multiplayer gameplay.
3. You have to remember that Nintendo stated they're trying to embrace the "hardcore" crowd that overlooked the Wii for it's kiddy image and underwhelming graphics, hence don't have a Wiimote/Nunchuk. If they already bought a brand new system and an expensive game more than likely they won't buy a new controller in the go just to play with someone else. ie brother, sister, boyfriend or girlfriend.
4. We all know how poor support turns out when a peripheral doesn't come packed in with the system, besides wiimotes and nunchuks are old technology so that makes it even harder to support.
5. I read somewhere they're really cheap to make now, so it wouldn't hurt them at all to include both in the box.

If it's not in the box, it's effectively dead as an input method to most software developers. Doesn't matter how many are out there.

If you want support for IR and wand-motion gaming (I know I do.. who the hell wants to play Tennis or Golf or FPS/TPS with that dual-analog monstrosity?) then you'd better hope they're in the box. Even if they're *in* the box they'll struggle to get support outside of first party. 3rd parties have a dual-analog controller, you'd better believe many of them will be continuing their trend of creative bankruptcy in regards to input and game design.

Thanks =P

antonz

I would prefer they not include the wiimote etc because costs are costs and that $4-5 BOM is better spent on the console itself. Especially Since Nintendo is banking on people already owning the Wii prior

Even specialguy, and luckyman et all have their place. It can't just be one huge circle jerk.

Nothing personal and I know your intent (I hope) wasn't to be like luckyman, but I really wish people wouldn't use that phrase in the context that they do.

From every gaf member that's been verified by a mod who works for a video game company and have actually seen real WiiU dev kit and have said it's either slightly below or on par with current PS360 tech vs random non verified dev comments on the interweb.

I know which one I trust more.

The only verified person that fits your description is lherre. At least that's posted and willingly given info.

And remember in the Ghost Recon Online WiiU promo vid, they showed the girl using the Wii remote in an online game. So we at least know that it's on the minds of devs.
indeed, that's a perfect example of what I said, they can use it as a marketing point. "use the wiimote you already own with your new system!!". Added value incentive for people to move from wii to wiiU.

lednerg

They could just include a bunch of videos with the system that explain which controllers you need to get for multiplayer and all that. Plus, it's not like retail stores aren't going to be reminding people as well. If a Wiimote+ isn't in the same box as the console, that doesn't mean 3rd parties will act like it doesn't exist. As long as everything is available in stores on day one, I don't think it'll be a problem.

They could just include a bunch of videos with the system that explain which controllers you need to get for multiplayer and all that. Plus, it's not like retail stores aren't going to be reminding people as well. If a Wiimote+ isn't in the same box as the console, that doesn't mean 3rd parties will act like it doesn't exist. As long as everything is available in stores on day one, I don't think it'll be a problem.
werddd

EDarkness

Sure, they can do that, but we all know the fate of peripherals that don't get included in the box. It's really as simple as that. Some games will support the remote/nunchuck as an option, that's also a given. However, it will not be considered a main control scheme by most developers if it's not included in the box.

I don't care if the system costs $5-10 more. I just want all the bases covered and it would make the most business sense to have them packed in so as to keep remotes relevant over the course of the next generation. It would be crazy to spend all this time building up remotes only to throw them to the curb next generation. Which is why I'm going in with the assumption they'll include it in the box.

Precisely, we need to stop thinking of a non-packed-in Wii Remote as an "optional accessory" like Move and more like an "extra controller" which we're all used to buying in order to enjoy mp. Only diffrence is this time it's a completely different control scheme. It is an unprecedented move and comparisons to other past scenarios are invalid.

If a Wiimote+ isn't in the same box as the console, that doesn't mean 3rd parties will act like it doesn't exist. As long as everything is available in stores on day one, I don't think it'll be a problem.

If a peripheral is not included in the box, it implies that most probably said peripheral is not going to be supported as a standard: it would mean you should ask customers to purchase separetely something else in order to play a game they're actually paying for, and that's not a smart move.

For any evidence, we may look at:

* Guitar hero series(as much as I loved GH3 I for one was not willing to purchase a new guitar-peripheral for each new iteration at full price and we all know how it ended up like)
* Games supporting Wii Balance-board as-a-standard being near to zero(although Wii-fit sold quite a bunch it apparently didn't help)
* Playstation Move(it was not in the box and it did poorly)
* WiiMotion+(how many - me included - have hold off so far buying Skyward sword just because they owned only a plain WiiRemote and didn't feel like to pay more just for one game?)
* Majora's mask(Memory add-on required, game deserved better sales, whereas Donkey Kong 64 - that bundled with the memory-expansion's add-on - sold decently AFAIK)

I suppose I could keep going on, but I think I have made my point quite clear.

Regardless of what your personal expectations are some of the reactions to Arkam's comments have been pretty puerile. It reminds me of that old Zelda thread where many enraged fans were calling the reviewer a fatass for giving the game a lower than expected score. Turns out he was pretty accurate with his review too.

Stay classy.

fernoca

If a peripheral is not included in the box, it implies that most probably said peripheral is not going to be supported as a standard: it would mean you should ask customers to purchase separetely something else in order to play a game they're actually paying for, and that's not a smart move.

* Guitar hero series(as much as I loved GH3 I for one was not willing to purchase a new guitar-peripheral for each new iteration at full price and we all know how it ended up like)
* Games supporting Wii Balance-board as-a-standard being near to zero(although Wii-fit sold quite a bunch it apparently didn't help)
* WiiMotion+(how many - me included - have hold off so far buying Skyward sword just because they owned only a plain WiiRemote and didn't feel like to pay more just for one game?)
* Majora's mask(Memory add-on required, game deserved better sales, whereas Donkey Kong 64 - that bundled with the memory-expansion's add-on - sold decently AFAIK)

But you didn't needed to buy a guitar for every Guitar Hero game. I played all games from GH3 to Rock Band 3 with the Les Paul. The only exception was Rock Band (1) on Wii, which didn't recognized it, but that port was so badly done ..and still sold so much. Still have a GHIII LesPaul for PS3 in the closet that I used to play The Beatles.

And Wii Motion Plus can be acquired for dirt cheap, heck multiple times they gave away one with the purchase of of one. :p

PS Move has been bundled with the PS3-hardware since the release of Move.

But yeah, in general..I agree. Though if anything, I guess accessories need to be bundled from day one with the hardware in order to get attention; more than anything. Accessories that are released as just that, additional/optional don't get much interest by developers; unless it's bundled from day one with the cosnole. Not even bundling Motion Plus for over 2 years, made developers jump into Motion Plus.

In addition to my previous point about the unparalleled nature of the situation, with millions of controllers already in the homes of consumers, there is the inconvenient fact of the Classic Controller. This controller was available on Day 1 and has seen a satisfactory level of support among developers when they felt their games would benefit from a different control scheme.

Edit: As for one controller being the "standard," that is unavoidable. The U Pad will be the standard and the Wii Remote will be secondary, but still very relevant.

the difference is hundreds of millions of wiimotes already out there.

Hundreds of millions Wiimotes? I don't think so, it seems to me quite far-fetched honestly, although we all are aware the Wii has been a huge success worldwide.

Also, WiiRemotes or WiiMote+?
It does make quite a difference, by the way even if we had to assume there were dozens of millions of WiiMote+ around - which I don't think it's the case - it wouldn't make much sense anyway to me.

Let's put it like that, how many PS2 have been sold around the world in years? So PS3 should not have been including at least a DualShock controller in the box? It would have been a poor call in my opinion.

Unai

And like I said, I think it'll be supported wherever it makes sense (assuming devs do so, which I think they will), BUT it will remain an optional accessory. It'll be just like the Move is right now I think. Games will have it as a secondary controls option for whenever the opportunity calls, but you'll have to buy the accessory yourself. I think Nintendo would prefer selling it optionally as well because a ton of people already have it so they can use the whole "use what you already got!" for marketing, also like I said, they're considering selling at a loss so they probably won't include something that would add to it when it's not 100% necessary to do so, from a business standpoint I mean. And also, they could use the selling of accessories to recoup any losses they do take if they decide to sell at one, or sell at break even.

I just don't see them coming in the box. They could, but I'd be pretty damn surprised.

I don't think so. Look at Donkey Kong Country Returns with the classic controller.

Jarsonot

I think the vast majority of wii u purchasers have a wii. Those that don't will have to make do with the bajillion cheap used wii remotes available out there.

I don't think they'll include it, you already have it.

Also, most game systems come with one controller when the companies know damn well you're going to want at least two. They expect you to buy another.

lednerg

Forth Storm is right about the Classic Controller. It had plenty of 3rd party support for something that wasn't included in the box, or barely even advertised. Millions of WM+ are already out in the wild and they're most likely going to be required for multiplayer, so it's safe to assume that not including one wouldn't make an impact on 3rd parties.

royalan

I still think Nintendo will develop some sort of Wii U specific secondary controller. They'll need a way to offer local multiplayer, and it might be a bit risky to just count on people already having wiimotes lying around.

It'll be a redesigned wiimote to match Wii U. Slimmer, WM+ built in, cheaper components so it costs less to produce...maybe slightly different shape and more buttons.

I still think Nintendo will develop some sort of Wii U specific secondary controller. They'll need a way to offer local multiplayer, and it might be a bit risky to just count on people already having wiimotes lying around.

It'll be a redesigned wiimote to match Wii U. Slimmer, WM+ built in, cheaper components so it costs less to produce...maybe slightly different shape and more buttons.

They'll just make a wireless CCPro.
Easy peasy.

Jarsonot

They'll just make a wireless CCPro.
Easy peasy.

I agree. It seems they're somewhat caving in on the dual-analog setup with the subscreen, so developers will take advantage of that. I think CCpro will be the solution for 4-player games, since the wii u will not be able to handle 4 subscreens.

(as far as we know)

3WtUB.jpg

So not this then I guess......

fernoca

A Wireless Nunchuck (an official one) would be nice too.
In some games, like punch Out sometimes I had to fight more with the capable than with the characters in the game. :p

Jarsonot

In some games, like punch Out sometimes I had to fight more with the capable than with the characters in the game. :p

I agree. And they should throw in a nice recharging stand that holds and charges the subscreen, a couple of remotes, and a couple of nunchucks. =)

(goes out and buys a shit ton of double As)

QFT: There's a much greater need for an upgraded nunchuck. The Wii Remote is perfect in design. The whole point of the damn thing is to eliminate the need for buttons.

The nunchuck, on the other hand, could use:

-wireless
-gyro and accelerometer equal to WiiMotion+
-rumble
-more sturdy design. The plastic in the current nunchuck feels cheap and the triggers are often loose right out of the box. It's definitely not in the same quality league as the Wii Remote or CC.

guek

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/3WtUB.jpg[IMG]

So not this then I guess......[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? That last slight boost in the recent dev kits was the wii u going maijin! It's primed to force MS to fight head on for next generation dominance. Of course the wii u is going to have to kill a few hundred civilians to make it happen, but hey, whatever it takes to get the 720 to come up to bat.

nordique

There's been only one real problem with everything. People for whatever reason have interpreted the early dev kits to be a 100% representation of the final hardware. That just doesn't happen. Even some of Wii's early kits were modified Gamecubes (insert jokes about Wii still being a modified Gamecube).

With Arkam I believed him from the beginning, but some things weren't sitting right with what he was saying and I said as much. Now I understand why and that's because he doesn't have direct access to the kit and is instead passing on what he was told. The fact (and I do believe him on that as well) that they had to scale their games back though isn't something I can attribute to the hardware as that is way more likely due to how they were designing their game(s) for PS360 hardware. Too many have already said otherwise to believe it's the dev kit's fault they had to scale back the game. However Arkam has been very clear in multiple posts that he was talking about the earlier dev kit.

Going back to what I was saying I don't see how people can say some of things they have in regards to expecting the early kit to be like final. Let's look at all the info we have been given.

This is going to revolve around the GPU and memory. First is that we've had multiple, yet consistent, indications that the GPU in the dev kit was an RV770 though which one has been tough to pin down. This means that the GPU in the case is on a 55nm process which fully clocked is going to be hot. Not long after E3 we learned that the GPU had been underclocked. Lherre also told us that anytime they pushed the GPU it would freeze. I believe one or two others on the board that know someone mentioned that as well around that time. There is a very good chance that the GPU was underclocked under 500Mhz for stability. And when I say under I don't mean barely under.

We also have to acknowledge that this was most likely an "off-the-shelf" part. What does this mean? It means the dev kit most likely does not have the eDRAM that Nintendo is saying it will have. The lack of that would cause a big deficiency when developing. Look at the Zelda demo. The lighting and textures were beautiful, but that thing was so jaggy you could cut your hand if you touched the screen. Arkam's post also has backed that up with his comment on the memory being slow. It's obvious the system memory even in the final won't have some huge bandwidth or else they wouldn't need the eDRAM in the first place. But with the dev kit not having that eDRAM leaving the BW-hungry things like AA to depend on the slower system memory, then you can understand why we saw what we did in the Zelda demo. But I also attribute that to the amount of time they had to create it while also focusing on controller interaction.

Going to the memory what we know is that dev kits tend to have twice the memory of what the final would have. We know that like past Nintendo consoles there is the early kit that looks like a plain black (or grey for the GC if I remember correctly) case, and also in the last thread lherre said he had the "ugly, retail version". That alone indicated that there were two aesthetically different dev kits in the wild. And it's plausible that the black Wii U kit has less memory on top of other things that were an issue back then. It may very well have only had 1GB while lherre's "newer" kit has way more. So we have to wonder that if there are actual differences then which one does Arkam's company have? We also know thanks to lherre that there had been no "real" changes in "ugly, retail version" for a good while. Considering the GPU in the dev kit, the memory was most likely GDDR3. With the 4830/4850 that memory is, according to Wikipedia, clocked at 900/993Mhz so it's not like that is dramatically more than the 700Mhz GDDR3 in the 360. And even then we don't know if that was underclocked either. We also know that the kit has at least 2GB and most likely has the max amount. Considering the target max for the retail console is 1.5GB, that would put the dev kit at 3GB.

Personally when I look at all the info, as of now I think the GPU in the dev kit looks something like this. When looking at the amount of memory, the GPU in the kit is most likely a 4850 due to the bus because they would need a larger bus for the extra memory as the 4830 has a 128-bit bus. But at the same time they probably disabled a couple SIMDs to help reduce heat making it more comparable to the 4830 from a power perspective. The latter of course not including the underclocking on top of that to reduce heat. After all as we know that's a 55nm GPU and they probably did as much as they could to get the heat down till the final GPU is ready on what is pretty much guaranteed to be a smaller process and probably 32nm.

So for me as I said before my expectations have not changed. My guesstimated specs are the same barring certain, yet small, things that may have changed in the final hardware. Miyamoto said Wii U won't dramatically outperform PS360 and I agree with that. At the same time it's not going to be blown away by Xbox 3 and PS4 like Wii was, which was intentional on Nintendo's part.

I've seen no reason to get upset with anything that was said recently. The info was consistent with what we have heard. And while the opinion on that info was not consistent, that doesn't degrade the info itself. That's what some need to understand instead of getting so riled up. Separate the opinion from the facts that were given.

just wanted to say this is an excellent post; cheers

nordique

I am assuming his info (and likely everyone elses who has made a point to give there 2 cents) comes from someone actually working on the system and I would hope he isn't simply assuming specs based off what he saw on paper simply to make a point. There is a big difference between relaying what he has heard directly from a dev and what he saw on a spec sheet.

lttp, but yes this is very true

I should have clarified that I believe Arkam was not necessarily privy to first hand information; was mostly second hand information.

bg's post reasoning out what exactly may be the case with the Wii U kits, especially not being optimized, is huge.

I think it was blu who a long time ago pointed out that it doesn't matter how much raw muscle something may have; if its not optimized it will be a chore to get any game functioning adequately

EDarkness

But yeah, in general..I agree. Though if anything, I guess accessories need to be bundled from day one with the hardware in order to get attention; more than anything. Accessories that are released as just that, additional/optional don't get much interest by developers; unless it's bundled from day one with the cosnole. Not even bundling Motion Plus for over 2 years, made developers jump into Motion Plus.

Wii Motion Plus may be in the box now, but it really arrived too late. Companies didn't know if every user had a Wii Motion Plus so they didn't really support it. There were a few who tried, and Tiger Woods was awesome on the Wii with Wii Motion Plus. Just goes to show that if something isn't in the box when the system goes live it generally won't get supported even if they add it later. There's still all those people who didn't have one because they bought the system before the accessory was in the box.

This will be true with the remote if it's not in the box. You can bet the main reason the Wii got games like House of the Dead and Overkill is because there was a remote in every box so they knew everyone could play it if they owned a Wii. If the Wii U doesn't come with a remote in the box, you can bet that there won't be many games like that for the simple fact the developer won't know if people will have access to a remote. Not saying there won't be some companies who won't try to make games like this for the system, but there will be a certain level of uncertainty about who has the correct peripherals to play the game. Will someone who didn't own a Wii last generation go out and buy one? How many people who owned a Wii before sold it and all of their accessories? If the remote is in every box from the beginning, then there would be no doubt about who could play their game.

Really, even Kinect isn't supported all that well, but Microsoft is trying to integrate it into the system culture. You can bet the next system will have it packed in so as to guarantee everyone has one and that should lead to much better support all around.

I can't beleive there has been so much commotion in the last 24 hours over one or two speculations from a person who already stated thew saw an older dev kit.

We are definitely going to see a nintendo console being released at between $299-$349. at $299 I can see nintendo losing maybe $10 per console and the retailer breaking even which is not unheard of in this current climate. at $329 I can see Nintendo breaking even and the retailer making $20 per unit which I can see nintendo going for to make the retailer happy. at $349 nintendo can make a modest profit of $18 and the retailer making $21 per unit which is a probable scenario given what I think the power of the WiiU to become and the selling power of that tablet and the pack in software.

Let's look at a possible bill of materials for the console. I will make a small estimate that I will pull out of my butt and people in the know can fill in the outlandish prices. if they think my estimates are too high or too low. we can then speculate on what possible candidates for GPU and CPU based on this to have a semi realistic view of what kind of power we will see in the console.

Manufacturing cost. $9
Box Pack in game $9

SUB TOTAL $18

Console
Memory 16GB nand flash $10
DRAM GDDR5 or DDR 3 1.5GB $10
Processsor (SOI) $40
GPU $50
Blue Laser Drive Proprietry $19
Wireless Module a/b/g/n/proprietry $19
Wireless BB/RF/PA/NFC $15
Power Supply $9
Buttons Case Fans cooling mechanical electrical $10
Sensor bar $1
Sound IC $2
Cables $2
USB $1
SD $1

SUB TOTAL $189

Subscreen
Wireless Module $1
Gyro $1
Accel $1
Magnet $1
Speaker $1
Microphone $1
Touch panel $10
Touch Panel Controller/memory IC $5
LCD $21
Charger$2
Battery $20
Camera/sensor bar $5
Case buttons analog sticks stylus $8

SUB TOTAL $77

BOM+ manufacturing $283 which leaves $17 for freight and marketing materials.

Any other costs that go into it that I am missing out on?

If we are looking at a $50 GPU wholesale, what would be some affordable baseline candidates that can we look at assuming wholsale volume prices.?

if this pricing is way off please feel free to change so that we may get a better understanding at what nintendo can afford to pay for when it comes to GPU CPU RAM or other parts.

personally I don't think you can go past a HD6770 wholesale in terms of pricing for $50 maybe even less that than that since I don't have a clue what wholesale prices are for these things.
Maybe Nintendo might only be able to afford 4x-5x max and a minimum of maybe a GPU 2x the power compared to a xbox360 gpu.

If we look at gamecube and what should have been a proper generational upgrade path for wii which should have been around 3x-5x the power of GC gpu plus modern shaders then an upgrade path five years from that date (plus the extra time this generation has already had), then a GPU around 2x-3x the power of the xbox 360 is what we should be expecting from nintendo. What most people would want is of course 5x the power to take us into 720p samaritan territory and maybe close enough to parity with xbox3 and PS4 which may or may not be possible depending on the costs of other parts.

Wii Motion Plus may be in the box now, but it really arrived too late. Companies didn't know if every user had a Wii Motion Plus so they didn't really support it. There were a few who tried, and Tiger Woods was awesome on the Wii with Wii Motion Plus. Just goes to show that if something isn't in the box when the system goes live it generally won't get supported even if they add it later. There's still all those people who didn't have one because they bought the system before the accessory was in the box.

This will be true with the remote if it's not in the box. You can bet the main reason the Wii got games like House of the Dead and Overkill is because there was a remote in every box so they knew everyone could play it if they owned a Wii. If the Wii U doesn't come with a remote in the box, you can bet that there won't be many games like that for the simple fact the developer won't know if people will have access to a remote. Not saying there won't be some companies who won't try to make games like this for the system, but there will be a certain level of uncertainty about who has the correct peripherals to play the game. Will someone who didn't own a Wii last generation go out and buy one? How many people who owned a Wii before sold it and all of their accessories? If the remote is in every box from the beginning, then there would be no doubt about who could play their game.

Really, even Kinect isn't supported all that well, but Microsoft is trying to integrate it into the system culture. You can bet the next system will have it packed in so as to guarantee everyone has one and that should lead to much better support all around.

Such a scenario is plausible and worth assessing, but I think when it comes down to costs and the reality of it, Nintendo will bank on the opposite. Namely, almost all Wii U early adopters will also own a Wii and numerous remotes/peripherals. It was a hugely successful platform. And let's be honest here: Wii U, while reaching out more to the hardcore audience, is not in any way focused on it - not if last E3's concept video was any indicator. Though you can bet that the here-and-there cases of the "converted dudebro" will be headline fodder for some of the sites out there.

And if there is a former PS360 gamer, or any consumer who did not own a Wii, buying a Wii Remote will be their only choice for the surely substantial amount of multiplayer titles. Until they say otherwise, Nintendo are not selling that controller separately - not at first. The system itself is costly. In this economy, an expensive controller on top of it would completely alienate their core audience of kids and parents. If they do price the system at $299 bare bones, as PS1 and PS2 did, they have a great chance at penetrating the mass market. Extra Wii Remotes (identical but perhaps w/ Wii U compatible branding) sold besides this modestly priced console will help add to their profit whereas selling the tablet at cost for $100 or so will not. It's actually quite devious if they do support two tablets in games (Madden is essentially a lock for this) and the only chance to experience this awesome concept is if 2 people own the system. More systems sold = a happier Nintendo and deeper third party support.

just wanted to say this is an excellent post; cheers

Thank you for all the compliments. :)

Let's look at a possible bill of materials for the console. I will make a small estimate that I will pull out of my butt and people in the know can fill in the outlandish prices. if they think my estimates are too high or too low.

IMO your console cost is too low and the controller cost is kind of high. I don't see the controller costing Nintendo more than $50. One way to bring down the cost in your estimate would be the battery. I don't see them using a battery that costs that much. And some of the other components may not cost a whole dollar, but I'm assuming you did that to make the math easier.

With the console I believe your system memory, GPU, and CPU costs are too low. It would be nice, but I doubt they can get the memory for $10 (no Newegg references please :p). The GPU will most likely include the eDRAM increasing its cost. I also have a tough time seeing the CPU only being $40. You also must remember that it will have an ARM core(s) so that's another cost. And the accessories including the cables will more than likely be more than $2.

My guesstimate has been that the console will cost them around $300 and the controller around $50. And because it falls around $350, that's why they have to decide if they will sell it for a loss or not.

Vinci

Danish
Addressing some points in this thread made over the last few pages:

1) It is strategically impossible for the Wii U to be equivalent to the 360 and PS3. It has to be stronger. Nintendo is stubborn but it's not stupid; it is quite aware of why the Wii ran out of steam and how much more having 3rd party support could have impacted its lifespan. They also know 3rd party support and online network are the only two things their competitors have on them. It is ridiculous to state that they have an intention of dealing with the latter (online) and not the former.

2) It would be wise of Nintendo to include a Remote U alongside the uPad with every console sold. Yes, there are a shit-ton of remotes out there, but it's better to have a certain baseline standard for the local multi than have variability amongst those available.

Addressing some points in this thread made over the last few pages:

1) It is strategically impossible for the Wii U to be equivalent to the 360 and PS3. It has to be stronger. Nintendo is stubborn but it's not stupid; it is quite aware of why the Wii ran out of steam and how much more having 3rd party support could have impacted its lifespan. They also know 3rd party support and online network are the only two things their competitors have on them. It is ridiculous to state that they have an intention of dealing with the latter (online) and not the former.

2) It would be wise of Nintendo to include a Remote U alongside the uPad with every console sold. Yes, there are a shit-ton of remotes out there, but it's better to have a certain baseline standard for the local multi than have variability amongst those available.

I agree, it would help with market saturation as well as encourage control option diversity for dev's to work into production. Otherwise we'll see a lot less emphasis on control options and almost no emphasis on dev's being able to pick and choose the most viable control option for X game, and instead force the Upad into every game. I'm still holding out for a next gen gamepad though, would really round out all possible preferred methods. It's really long overdue for consoles to have similar control options that we PC gamers have always enjoyed.

Wolfie5

Probably it has been said already, but I just realized something regarding Wii U pricing.

Iwata had previously said:
"The Wii U will "likely" cost more than ¥20,000 ($250/£150), Nintendo leader Satoru Iwata has revealed. "
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-08-iwata-wii-u-price-likely-over-USD250

And Reggie had a few months ago made that weird comment about disposable income:
"AllThingsD: Does that change as we get closer to the next-generation console, the Wii U?

Reggie: The market is going to continue to differentiate based on the types of experiences that consumers want. As an example, if I’m the head of a household of a family of four, and my disposable income is $50,000 to $60,000, I’m going to continue to look at the Wii because of the software, and it’s a great entertainment device. For consumers who want to have the latest gadgets and have a higher disposable income, that’s for the Wii U."
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456595

Now, maybe I am reading too much into it, but when has Nintendo ever implied what their next console will cost so far ahead before release?
They are pretty much early on giving signals (a heads up if you will) that the Wii U will cost more than expected. And I don´t think 50 USD more, as in $299. If it was going to cost $299, do you guys think Nintendo would bother saying anything about pricing so early on?
Therefore I am thinking at least 100 USD more, as in $349 (max $399). Even including the tablet, I hardly think the power level of the Wii U would be that low(considering the price).

I agree with bgassassins awesome post on what to expect.

All that matters is that the Wii U is fully capable of handling ports of the PS4/nextBox and doing so without that much of a drop off. What's required to get to that point doesn't matter in the least. If it's able to handle ports of the two other next gen systems with being 1.5x that of the Xbox than thats fine. No matter how powerful the Wii U is or isn't, Nintendo will be able to make amazing looking games. That isn't the concern. The concern is if it will handle PS4/NextBox ports.

This point is not very relevant, no one is gonna buy the Wii U just to play Xbox360/PS4 ports people is gonna buy the Wii U for the exclusive games. The GFX on the Wii U will be great enough in my opinion to also please people who love great GFX, if you will not want to play stripped down ports on the Wii U then you will buy an xboxnext or a PS4.

Because Nintendo releasing an Xbox 360 in 2012 is not an acceptable advancement. Nintendo til the Wii did not cut corners and play the innovation over horsepower line. They innovated and brought the power.

Nintendo will have to go way out of its way to deliver an Xbox 360 in 2012 and if they go that far out of their way to do so then they dont deserve my money or anyone elses.

The Wii had a DX7 GPU and the first XBOX had a DX8.1 GPU so i don't get why it was fine for the Wii to have outdated hw but it's such a tragedy if the Wii U will came out with a decent current gen DX10 hw...

ReyVGM

Probably it has been said already, but I just realized something regarding Wii U pricing.

Reggie: The market is going to continue to differentiate based on the types of experiences that consumers want. As an example, if I’m the head of a household of a family of four, and my disposable income is $50,000 to $60,000, I’m going to continue to look at the Wii because of the software, and it’s a great entertainment device. For consumers who want to have the latest gadgets and have a higher disposable income, that’s for the Wii U."
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456595

Now, maybe I am reading too much into it, but when has Nintendo ever implied what their next console will cost so far ahead before release?
They are pretty much early on giving signals (a heads up if you will) that the Wii U will cost more. And I don´t think 50 USD more, as in $299. If it was going to cost $299, do you guys think Nintendo would bother saying anything about pricing so early on?
Therefore I am thinking at least 100 USD more, as in $349 (max $399). Even including the tablet, I hardly think the power level of the Wii U would be that low(considering the price).

I agree with bgassassins awesome post on what to expect.

Yeah, what I got from that quote back then was that if you are poor/cheap/casual, then get the Wii. If you have cash to spend on tech and are hardcore/dudebro, then get the Wii U.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This point is not very relevant, no one is gonna buy the Wii U just to play Xbox360/PS4 ports people is gonna buy the Wii U for the exclusive games. The GFX on the Wii U will be great enough in my opinion to also please people who love great GFX, if you will not want to play stripped down ports on the Wii U then you will buy an xboxnext or a PS4.

The point is relevant if Nintendo is serious about receiving 3rd party support. Most families won't want to buy a new system for an upgraded version of a game and because the wii U will still be able to scale for downports they won't need to.

The point is relevant if Nintendo is serious about receiving 3rd party support. Most families won't want to buy a new system for an upgraded version of a game and because the wii U will still be able to scale for downports they won't need to.

If the Wii U will have great sales it will receive 3rd party support with exclusive games which is much betten than playing ports, you act like Nintendo is doing something different than what they did till now.

Oddduck

I want superior ports of RE6 and GTA5 that take advantage of the Wii U's strengths.

But if third party support is going to be mostly 360/PS3 ports, I think most people will be disappointed. People aren't buying a new console to get ports of current gen games. That isn't opinion. That is fact. And third parties will be disappointed when they see how bad their ports will sell on Wii U compared to 360/PS3, and then Wii U will end up in the same third party situation.

People only buy Nintendo systems for the exclusives they can't get on Xbox and Playstation and PC.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hollywood is rated about 12 billion FLOPS and Xenos is rated about 240 billion FLOPS, but these are manufacturers' numbers so sprinkle some salt.
You're comparing Hollywood's fixed-function TCL flops* to Xenos' unified-shader programmable flops. This comparison is as meaningless as they come.

* Flipper does not rely on floating-point for pixel shading, except possibly for tex-addressing, and I have doubts about that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom