• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 TV commercial "In those days, we were heroes" is super nostalgic

ranmafan

Thought the office guys boss was Yuji Horii for a second, but nope :(

EDIT: For those of you who enjoyed the style/angle, here's my favourite take on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdvu8ZMXos. It's the awesome 20th anniversary Winning Eleven advert.

That winning eleven one was good too. There really seems to be a lot of these types of cams these days in Japan. Here's another one in a similar fashion from last year for the Last Guardian. I really loved this cm for similar reasons.

https://youtu.be/Dq55qc-2DnA

My family got me DW1 when it came out for my birthday, and I could not get far in it at all. I was way too young to figure it out, I think... Any time I got a little ambitious and went somewhere I shouldn't have gone, I'd get wiped out by really scary monsters.

Never touched another one until DQ8.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
An American version would be a bunch of super cuts of people talking about how boring the series is to their friends. First on the school playground, then on USEnet, then on AIM and GameFAQs, and finally on 4chan. Fade to black, "Dragon Quest. Yeah, we still make those."

I think it would be a few people mailing in a registration card to Nintendo Power and getting DQ1 in the mail, followed by a bunch of silence, followed by people buying DQ8 for the FFXII demo, followed by more silence.

The problem with DQ for most people (aside from your typical western/xbox game player who is averse to anything Japanese) is that those that may have been casual fans of the games in the past aren't aware of new ones. I remember at my first job, I became friends with someone who didn't play games AT ALL. But back in the day he loved 2 games - Punch Out and Dragon Warrior. He was shocked there were 8 (at the time) games in the series, in fact he didn't even know there was a sequel back when he was little and still played games.

My personal commercial would be - being 6 and renting Dragon Warrior from a mom-and-pop video store, struggling for an hour to get out of the throne room, fighting slimes and leveling up, renting 2 later and not liking it, waiting for what seemed like an eternity for 3 to come out, surprised that 4 came out pretty quickly after 3, beating it and letting my new friend (to this day my best friend who is also a big series fan) borrow it in exchange for BOF1, then silence for a while. Till I decided to import 5 and 6. More silence, then getting 7 and my friend's girlfriend saying to me "oh wow I didn't know they still made those games, I loved 4 when I was little!), then loving 8, then disappointed at 9 at both a gameplay and choice of platform perspective, then getting so pissed at how SE constantly mismanages the series, then starting a new job working with a bunch of Japanese people who like the series and telling them about the (imo shitty) localization changes we get.

18-Volt

I'd have been nostalgic too if someone had thought of bringing the games over here to Europe. I can't believe DQ8 was the first game Europe got.

TEJ

I don't understand much Japanese but that trailer still made me super emotional.

Definitely buying it if it gets an american release.

ajjow

It's perfect.

The moment the girl cries, it's just that tiny moment that some games moves in a way you would never expect.

Amazing way to describe how emotional some games can be.

Even when you leave your job or school so you can play more!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I always feel bad that I was never able to get into this series.

Should I pick up VII or VIII for 3DS? IV, V or VI for DS?

Arkeband

Banned
All 11 needs to have is...

The heart of 5
The tone of 6
(Half) the length of 7
The polish of 8
The item variety and build customization of 9

And I'll be happy

Philippo

I only played VIII so far (tried a few others but never completed them), but i was 12 when that came out so i know very well too what being a kid and have all of your attention towards the adventure that is waiting for you back at home feels like.

10/10 ad.

Lothar

Banned
I also got DQ1 in the mail with Nintendo Power. I tried so hard to make the game sound good to other kids in 3rd and 4th grade. I was not successful.

I always feel bad that I was never able to get into this series.

Should I pick up VII or VIII for 3DS? IV, V or VI for DS?

V for DS. It's one of the most well liked in the series as well as being extremely short in just 25 hours. Great story, characters, and charm.

IV is best played on phone because the DS version is missing features.

aceface

I think it would be a few people mailing in a registration card to Nintendo Power and getting DQ1 in the mail, followed by a bunch of silence, followed by people buying DQ8 for the FFXII demo,

This was exactly my experience, heh. But I got hooked on DQ8 and went back and played all the re-releases on 3ds. Can't wait for the next one!

Berordn

I also got DQ1 in the mail with Nintendo Power. I tried so hard to make the game sound good to other kids in 3rd and 4th grade. I was not successful.

V for DS. It's one of the most well liked in the series as well as being extremely short in just 25 hours. Great story, characters, and charm.

IV is best played on phone because the DS version is missing features.

IV DS is really just missing Party Chat, right? It's preferable to have for sure, but if you really prefer to play with buttons it could be overlooked I think.

IV DS is really just missing Party Chat, right? It's preferable to have for sure, but if you really prefer to play with buttons it could be overlooked I think.

It add a lot of Charm and personality to the party. I like to switch party around just to find out their view on everything.

Off topic, DQ 8 3DS chat was disappointing since its almost the same as the PS2's and not like the others where the party comment on almost every single NPC.......

Bitanator

I'm getting so hyped for this, anybody thinking of importing the game when it comes out? I'm thinking of doing so because I want to play it so bad I don't care if I cannot read or understand shit

Linkura

Have to start with a bunch of kids getting it for free with Nintendo Power.

Then have them hunt really hard for copies of Dragon Warrior 4. Then again for whichever one was rare in the US on the DS (V, I think?) Then show them buying DQ VIII for the FF XII demo before throwing it away. Then show them watching the Seth Green commercial for IX.

I had no idea those Seth Green ads existed until you mentioned them. Thanks a LOT. :'(

sibarraz

Banned
Depends on your gaming background, your grind tolerance, patience, etc...
They're all worth it (even the old Famicom ones).

Except VII. Fuck VII.

I only played the first game on mobile, and I lovd it for what it was.

My problem now is that I don't have a lot of time to play long rpgs, less an entire series, so at least I want to know which one are considered the best in the series

Bitanator

I had no idea those Seth Green ads existed until you mentioned them. Thanks a LOT. :'(

They actually marketed IX quite a bit, commercials were pretty good, I wish they tried marketing Joker better, maybe we would be getting those instead of Fossil Fighters trash

jph139

Even as someone that's never played a Dragon Quest game (well, I got a hand-me-down Dragon Warrior Monsters copy that I played around with a bit), but there's something about the series that just feels so classic and nostalgic. When that theme song kicks in? Always gives me chills.

Steiner

Banned
Didn't understand a damn word. Cried anyway. I've only played Dragon Warrior and DW II (and the first heroes) but this landed a critical blow right to my feels.

Prophane33

Awesome CM. Really brings back memories, I still have a lot of my old DQ guides (both official Enix and V-Jump Day 1 guides); I can't believe I'll be playing DQ XI in a mere two months, even though I still haven't 100% decided on which one to get (leaning towards 3DS).

Also, speaking of nostalgia, who could forget the horrifying curse sound-effect when your save battery got old and the save corrupted!

Meffer

Which are the dragon quest games that are must play?

It depends what you want but if you want to start at a good one, 8 on the 3DS is a good choice. And if you really want to appreciate where JPGs really started, I suggest 3. It's a good adventure with a story to prevent evil.

Meffer

Yeah, still shit compared to DQM

Oh for sure but SE has such cold feet when it comes to DQ outside Japan. Nintendo really has to carry most load to bring them over but they can only do so much and with 11 being across not only two Nintendo systems but also the PS4 I don't think Nintendo can work on this one.

Bitanator

Oh for sure but SE has such cold feet when it comes to DQ outside Japan. Nintendo really has to carry most load to bring them over but they can only do so much and with 11 being across not only two Nintendo systems but also the PS4 I don't think Nintendo can work on this one.

The terrible sales of Joker 2 might be the most depressing thing to happen to DQM fans, they sent that out to die, could have waited to localize the professional version out, market it well and sell enough get the remakes and joker 3 in our greasy american hands.

Meffer

The terrible sales of Joker 2 might be the most depressing thing to happen to DQM fans, they sent that out to die, could have waited to localize the professional version out, market it well and sell enough get the remakes and joker 3 in our greasy american hands.

I think I know why that happened with Joker 2. SE didn't mention the Pro version when Nintendo was localizing the standard version. By the time SE announced it, it was too late for Nintendo (because they would have to localize the new text, work on the new ROM file and abandon all the work on original one and the I bet the cart had to have bigger memory, increasing the cost of manufacturing them) and then fans got super pissy and decided to not buy it, which in turn caused it to bomb. If anything it's SE fault.

PsionBolt

The world could use a few more heroes, these days. The kids of today will benefit from Dragon Quest just as much as those of yesterday, and I pray those of tomorrow will get the same chance.
I should play Dragon Quest V already.
Yes, you should. It's a wonderful, emotional game.
I can't really think of any video game series that would get a commercial like that in the US.
Pokemon could pull it off.

I can't really think of any video game series that would get a commercial like that in the US.
Are you kidding? An American tv ad like that for the mainline Mario and Zelda games would utterly destroy me to tears. Unlike DQ I did grew up with all of those.

With the exception of FF3 and 5 skipping the west I could also see Final Fantasy being able to pull it off too.

Top Bottom