• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Teknoman

About two years ago there was another Neo Geo thread, and this was posted:

CMVS.jpg

i've posted my unit here several times :D and as others have also suggested, get one of these consolized MVS units. It's an arcade board built in a convenient shell with proper input/output options.

Runs for about 300$ as a plug&play unit. Much cheaper if you get just a board and build it yourself.

Games are 10$-300$. Thats cheap compared to AES home console games, 50$-1000$

Looks like a NGCD just gutted and turned into a CMVS, actually looks pretty nice.

IrishNinja

damn...i lean heavily towards omegas/stuff that looks like an AES but for $300, i don't think i'd turn that down. wonder where he got it?

Teknoman

damn...i lean heavily towards omegas/stuff that looks like an AES but for $300, i don't think i'd turn that down. wonder where he got it?

Sent him a PM. I know work goes into making shells and soldering stuff for video inputs and whatnot...but seeing an AES itself cost about 2-300 bucks, or a MVS board like 50-100...you'd think these things would at least be 250-300 max. Looking at the prices makes me want to just be happy with my Neo Geo CD and other stuff lol.

well i did post this in page 2 of this thread ;D

probably been said but you CAN play MVS games on an AES console if you get a converter.

I'm currently using this consolized NeoGeo CD as an MVS machine:
CMVS.jpg

Recently installed a Unibios in it too, its a beast with RGB scart signal going to the TV and a separate speaker hooked up to it :D
CMVS2.jpg

i also have 2 Playstation controller adapters in it so its easy to play at events with a variety of joysticks/pads.

Bought it from a neo-geo.com forum user Macck who lives in Brazil.

He is quite controversial as some say he destroys Neogeo hardware to make these "frankensteins". But he himself claims he only uses dead systems he buys for cheap online.
you can see the handmade quality of the second picture with the top cover off. I love how its made and shows that its truly craftsmanship :D

Neo-geo.com forums are a good and trustworthy place to do neogeo trading, Macck was not the only Consolized MVS builder there. Xian Xi used to make them for around 325$ too i think. Prices vary based on features. Those 500$ machines usually have Universe Bios installed and all kinds of modifications to AV connections. The system i have was something like 400$ with shipping though.

The Universe bios required heavy soldering or just this Neobiosmasta breakout board i got, so this particular MVS board does require some work to make it do everything you want :D
nbm.jpg

Pricing wise if you are handy with a soldering iron / working with electronics, this is the cheapest route. As a Neogeo CD shell is big enough to hold everything and has controller ports, power and AV outputs already there. The toploader MVS Motherboard fits in nicely and you only cut the top off behind the CD-tray for the carts. In this CMVS by Macck the CD-tray still opens and it has a switch inside where you can access dipswitches.

Dunno what he is up to nowadays. Hope this answers your PM too Teknoman :D

Does anyone know what sorts of prices the Neo Geo (both the consoles and the games) commands over in Tokyo these days (this year, if I'm being a bit more specific)? Am I likely to be paying way over the odds if I walk into one of the stores there and grab some stuff, versus buying from eBay and getting it shipped to me in the UK? Yes, I know I can look at some Japan-based store prices online, and yes I know Super Potato is expensive. But I'm just talking in broad strokes here, what's the trend, the scene for Neo Geo in The East?

My best guess is that both hardware and software is just more plentiful over there, and with other types of gaming being on the rise in Japan for the past half a decade or so, there might be more/cheaper stock floating around in the second hand market than we see in Europe or America.

My penis is twitching rather heavily for a Black Label though.

Heavily.

Does anyone know what sorts of prices the Neo Geo (both the consoles and the games) commands over in Tokyo these days

i dont have any hard numbers but from experience the consoles can be as expensive as any off of ebay. And you need a power converter brick if you want to use it in another country.

games should be in ok prices as japanese versions usually are the cheaper ones anyways. quality wise japanese game stores tend to sell only premium so if you want just games in playable condition instead of collectible items you might be better off trying to get them online in either, again your own ebay or japanese auction sites.

I dont think i've seen a single AES unit in Osaka game stores on my travels either. The arcade scene is still alive so finding those warehouse sales of MVS hardware and carts ought to be a better investment.

hopefully we have some gaffers in japan that might now better :D

Teknoman

Now im curious...

Also cant beleive i didnt just search earlier pages lol, thanks for the info.

How do you know if an mvs cart bootleg?

pixlexic

Banned
I can not help but feel the neogeo could have been much more than a fighting game platform.

A lot of the earlier games were a hell of a lot of fun. And the few cd home exclusives showed promise.

jbueno

I can not help but feel the neogeo could have been much more than a fighting game platform.

A lot of the earlier games were a hell of a lot of fun. And the few cd home exclusives showed promise.

It´s also a fantastic Quiz and Mahjong game platform too, you know.

How do you know if an mvs cart bootleg?

you won't really be able to tell before buying unless the seller opens the cart up and shows you the chips. Match them with known original scans:

http://mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

also this is a neat thread I came across that goes much more into the specifics:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?120255-The-MVS-Bootleg-Forensic-Thread

I think about this pretty much all the time, but in reality all I wanted was more shooters! I wish, for example, they remade the Gunforce (pre-Metal Slug, Irem/Nazca) series on the Neo. I also think the Neo could have put out more shmups. When I look at what they tried to do with Strikers 1945 II, I can only image what could have happened if some of the Raizing/8ing or Seibu guys tried to bring stuff over. The system was more than capable.

Hey...that hurts

Yeah, I guess that makes me a card-carrying member of the asshole club. It's as if people take exception to the way we act all superior and entitled or something.

My cab...

rEJarObl.jpg

And my MVS carts, which really need organising...

yANeHQal.jpg

EDIT: and one AES cart, which I won on neo-geo.com (also won a VW Beetle*). Say what you like about neo-geo.com, there were some great guys there.

still awaiting prize after about 10 years

Teknoman

Yeah, I guess that makes me a card-carrying member of the asshole club. It's as if people take exception to the way we act all superior and entitled or something.

My cab...

rEJarObl.jpg

And my MVS carts, which really need organising...

yANeHQal.jpg

EDIT: and one AES cart, which I won on neo-geo.com (also won a VW Beetle*). Say what you like about neo-geo.com, there were some great guys there.

still awaiting prize after about 10 years

Man that makes me want one of those Terry chibis.

UK...Electrocoin is like the big red over here. It was the cab I played on as a kid so it was the one I wanted most.

To be honest it is a bit long in the tooth now and I'm not sure how long the monitor will last, but I still love it.

I love the art on it. I played on a big red as a kid so that's what I found first. The weird slant on the control panel hurt my wrists made me decide to track down a candy cab. Shortly after that the monitor died on the big red so I gave it to a friend. This was my setup at my old apartment.

Here's the big red and my old Blast City which I wasn't very happy with due to monitor related issues. This shit can be exciting at first, but it turns into such a pain.

Sure does look beautiful in that picture though.

Man that makes me want one of those Terry chibis.

Ha...they're really bad bootlegs to be honest, but they kind of look at home there.

I love the art on it. I played on a big red as a kid so that's what I found first. The weird slant on the control panel hurt my wrists made me decide to track down a candy cab. Shortly after that the monitor died on the big red so I gave it to a friend. This was my setup at my old apartment.

Here's the big red and my old Blast City which I wasn't very happy with due to monitor related issues. This shit can be exciting at first, but it turns into such a pain.

Sure does look beautiful in that picture though.
Those look awesome man! I'd love a candy cab but I don't think I have the space (or money).

But yeah, owning a cab can be a pain. Nothing is ever straightforward. Worth the effort IMO though...just.

Here's my MVS collection:

The game in the white shell is Blazing Star. The two Japanese titles in the middle are Last Blade 1 and 2. The Japanese game on the right is Samsho IV.

And my NGPC collection (my first SNK product!):

That's about it as far as my SNK stuff not counting PS2 games and things like that.

spoonman

Banned
I love my AES, but Neo•Geo Station games are worth buying even just for the extra touches M2 added. The music jukebox showing levels for all of the 15 sound channels, the ability to play Neo games online with voice chat, recording/playback, JPN/USA switch, emulated scanlines, 1:1 pixel perfect at 1080p, 24Hz overclocking for Metal Slug games, the instruction manuals with hidden Easter eggs of animation, etc..
M2 has done an incredible job with it! Playmore is dumb for only releasing 16 games in it.

The scanline emulation is among the best too. They look awesome on a large HDTV
581558_423359637711345_1210980173_n.jpg

556152_426028277444481_2069576102_n.jpg

Here's my MVS collection:

The game in the white shell is Blazing Star. The two Japanese titles in the middle are Last Blade 1 and 2. The Japanese game on the right is Samsho IV.
I see Waku Waku 7. And Blazing Star...excellent taste my man. Two of the games I bought my cab for.

And my NGPC collection (my first SNK product!):

That's about it as far as my SNK stuff not counting PS2 games and things like that.
Yeah, my NGPC was the reason I picked up my cab. Here's my collection:
oA1FCkFl.jpg

Not shown, 1 silver NGPC and 1 graphite NGP (also won on neo-geo.com). Ironically that copy of Feselei is probably worth more than any of my MVS carts.

EDIT: forgot about the typo in Dynamite Slugger. Always cracks me up.

My favorite game on the Neo•Geo (Metal Slug 3 USA/AES)
MetalSlugAES-USA-vgo-02.jpg

*drool* I think I decided collecting for AES was futile as soon as I discovered that I'd never be able to own Metal Slug 1/X/3. I love those games so much and it kinda kills me not to be able to add them to my collection. Oh well...

spoonman

Banned
Animationbaseballstars2.gif

I bought my system back in December of 1990 when there were no fighting games and to be honest I'm not really into fighting games as much as some Neo players. The best games IMO are Baseball Stars Professional, Metal Slug 1-3, League Bowling, NAM-1975, Magician Lord, Ninja Commando, Cyber-Lip, Top Player's Golf, Neo-Turf Masters, Thrash Rally, Ninja Combat, Sengoku 1-3, Windjammers, Last Resort, Baseball Stars 2

My AES cart collection.
neogeo_aes_carts_02-2008.jpg

My Neo•Geo AES (Svideo/stereo/arcade debug modded by Jeff Kurtz)
System-NeoGeo01.jpg

More pictures...http://videogameobsession.com/videogame/neogeo-system

A very merry 1990 Christmas! :)
Neo-Geo_Unwrapping_Xmas_1990.jpg

IrishNinja

UMFF this page just got SEXY

for real, i hope my setup looks half as good as these last 2 ones, even if im gonna have to sell a kidney in '15 or so. also spoonman that's an impressive gaming mag collection youv'e got back behind your games man!

Teknoman

That must've been one action packed Christmas lol.

I think I like the Omega more than the Analogue appearance.

EDIT: Looking at Jamma Nation X site store, you can get a "Panda" CMVS RGB only version for $349.99
All video inputs aside from RGB, $424.99

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/store.html

weq-cmvs1.jpg

weq-cmvs2.jpg

Doesnt have a cartridge slot flap, so not sure if dust would eventually be a problem.

I guess if I got one eventually, it would be an Omega or something like that.

Did SNK ever release official home console MVS hardware like Capcom did with the CPS2? I can't imagine they would as it would probably cannibalize AES sales.

IrishNinja

see, $350 is better (and i'd only need RGB anyway) but then i'd have to know for another $150 i coulda had an Omega instead of a tupperware system. really am gonna look into that latest MVS converter thing for AES as my other option later on.

shuri

Banned
If you want to get into the Neo-Geo, the time is NOW.

AES Prices are insane due to hoarding, collectors being idiots with their money and there is an insane problem with counterfeiting. And the people making those fakes are pros. It's just not worth it. You have people charging premium if the carts don't have insertion marks, for god's sake.

MVS is where its at, but you need to get into it RIGHT NOW because games prices are starting to rise really fast due to lots of big names youtubers doing vids about certain games. That's why titles like WindJammers used to be 20$ and is now 100+ for a cart that reeks of smoke and may contain trace of human fluids on the case.

If you buy MVS carts, don't be afraid to go for loose carts. MVS Kits are nice and everything, but the cheesy cardboard boxes look like crap. You can store games in super cool and well made cases called 'shockboxes' that you can buy on ebay or simply from southtown-homebrew; you can get those pro-made insert that looks amazing; all my carts are protected by this and they look amazing.

Ebay deals can still be had but you must be very careful when reading the descriptions, lots of sellers will give hints that the game is a bootleg. The best deals for neo-geo stuff are from forums but it can be hard to get started as the neo-geo scene is small and INSANE about resellers and scammers, newcomers are always considered to be suspect at first.

I'm not joking when I'm saying when it's time to jump now; mvs prices are starting to go up VERY fast.

IrishNinja

^can you give other examples beyond WindJammers? i thought that one blew up cause of Giant Bomb or something. not that i need to be convinced to get MVS stuff, just not seeing where that scene is gonna explore (more so) in the near future alla sudden.

Teknoman

I'm seeing that too. Already took a step off into the abyss by snagging Metal Slug 2 MVS for 50 bucks a few days ago (I dont really like the boss and layout changes in X). Like any game, you can find deals, just have to be patient. This actually marks the first time i've ever bought a game for a system I didnt own yet.

I have seen some good deals at neo-geo.com forums, but i've also seen people charging too much for common fighting game MVS titles on ebay, just being too sarcastic towards buyers.

Like this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMURAI-SHO...873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23350b27b9

Is it really that hard to unscrew the cart and post a pic with the normal closed cart pic? At any rate, i'm not worried about getting complete kits at all, since I just want to play the games on the actual hardware.

^can you give other examples beyond WindJammers? i thought that one blew up cause of Giant Bomb or something. not that i need to be convinced to get MVS stuff, just not seeing where that scene is gonna explore (more so) in the near future alla sudden.

Man it's Mike Matei all over again :p It would be cool if you could talk small corner store/washateria owners into selling whatever carts they have in arcade machines stashed in the corner.

jRW8g1Ol1CAyl.jpg

EDIT: There was an official CPS home console?

Teknoman

Apparently you have to be careful about Korean MVS carts too. Some have differences like:

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Lack of voice clips
No blood (set to white), lacks ability to set blood to "ON" in softdips even tho the Blood option is there!
(P1 rom is only difference on the boards)

Or would Unibios take care of that?

baphomet

Apparently you have to be careful about Korean MVS carts too. Some have differences like:

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Lack of voice clips
No blood (set to white), lacks ability to set blood to "ON" in softdips even tho the Blood option is there!
(P1 rom is only difference on the boards)

Or would Unibios take care of that?

Yup, you could set the region to japan mvs and use softdips to set blood to on.

Also, you probably bought metal slug 2 from me.

Teknoman

Yup, you could set the region to japan mvs and use softdips to set blood to on.

Also, you probably bought metal slug 2 from me.

Looking at the rest of the stuff for sale, yup seems that way :p

Figured i'd grab a couple games that I know i'd want early on before going after a CMVS. Most reasonably priced stuff i've seen / detailed listing.

EDIT: I must be blind...I cant for the life of me, figure out how to PM someone on Neo-Geo.com forums...

I guess it has something to do with post count? Guy is offering a good deal on a CMVS...I posted in the thread, but of course i'd have to PM him to get the sales talks rolling.

EDIT 2: We ended up working it out via email, so crisis averted.

Looking at the rest of the stuff for sale, yup seems that way :p

Figured i'd grab a couple games that I know i'd want early on before going after a CMVS. Most reasonably priced stuff i've seen / detailed listing.

EDIT: I must be blind...I cant for the life of me, figure out how to PM someone on Neo-Geo.com forums...

I guess it has something to do with post count? Guy is offering a good deal on a CMVS...I posted in the thread, but of course i'd have to PM him to get the sales talks rolling.

EDIT 2: We ended up working it out via email, so crisis averted.

I almost bought it but the guy sounded kind of shady with how he wanted to do the paypal transaction (especially for $400). Went with a new one instead.

Teknoman

Yeah the whole gift payment thing? I figure worst comes to worst, since I paid directly through credit card, i'll have some recourse there.

Top Bottom