• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
wish this team would of done like the terraria team and just release what they got and add more with updates later wanna play real bad

Nohar

Still awfully impatient.

But, still, I'd rather wait for a "complete" release. Terraria's release was... Well, it was a good release, but the game seriously needed some polishing. I'm willing to wait for a polished Starbound (though, I'm sad that it probably won't be released before sping 2013).

Also : OMG PRINNY IN UFO !!! Gosh, I wouldn't mind those little guys to make a cameo, though sadly it's obvious that they don't own the characters and thus can't use them outside of an easter egg.

Edit:

From Tiyuri's Twitter: There will be more races post release :)

Penguins. We want explosive penguins. PENGUINS ! PRINNIES ! AAAAARRRRRG.

This game better be good, been hyping it up for too long not to be. I would hope they'd be at a point by now where they could give some semblance of a timetable, so people don't think it's on the order of months if it's still on the order of a year and a half or more. I understand it's an indie game, but come on, there has to be SOME kind of schedule. /rant

Everything released so far look phenomenal, an improvement on Terraria in every way imaginable. I just hope they make the multiplayer a bit more user friendly to set up this time around without dealing with the woeful in-game UI or jumping through hoops with Hamachi. Steamworks, pl0x?

charsace

Edge of space has an open beta going on if you buy the game you can play it now.

This game is like Exile on roids. The wait is killing me.

Retro

From Twitter:
As promised, here's a sneak peek of a Floran village:
ZRhUK.png

So many furniture and tile options. Florians seem to have a tribal aesthetic; the bed, chair, wall decor and hanging... thing.... are bone/tusk, the table and stool are stone. I see drums, bones, furs, tribal symbols. Will be very neat.

Retro

Damn, I like that furniture... Most of all the lamp.

Edit:Also glad there will be more styles than just the space lab stuff.

Yeah, that is a sexy lamp. I can see that getting a lot of use in forest-y areas.

I think those hanging things are called pelts.

Also I want this game inside me.

No, the thing hanging over the table, just above and to the left of the Florian. It looks like a bunch of teeth strung between two tusks.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I like that furniture... Most of all the lamp.

Edit:Also glad there will be more styles than just the space lab stuff.

It was mentioned that the initial "style" of the items you craft is based on race, but you can learn the other styles later.

With that being said, probably safe to assume there's at least 6 variations/styles of the items we can get to make.

Retro

New Article: Meet the Florans
http://playstarbound.com/meet-the-florans/

floranvillage2.png

floranvillage3.png

One would expect a race of sentient humanoid plants to be peaceful, nature-loving environmentalists – that presumption is what allows this hyper-aggressive tribal civilization to thrive. Unwitting explorers are prey of choice to the carnivorous Florans, who frequently salvage or reverse engineer the technology they bring to enable their colonization of the stars.

The undesirable effect of introducing space travel to a primitive species results in the strange phenomena of primitive Floran colonies spanning across star systems, each with their own customs and levels of aggression. Despite this, individual Florans have been known to split apart from their society to lead their own lives in isolation or in the solace of other races, at the cost of being cut off from the collective and considered enemies of all flora for good.

Though a unisex race, Floran culture values survival through reproduction and expansion over environmentalism or any percieved bond to Mother Nature. Cannibalism during funeral rituals and wars with rival factions are commonplace, though it remains unclear whether it’s out of conservation or simple tradition.

Their aggressive nature appears to be borne of a lack of concept for non-plant life as opposed to outright contempt. Owing to their relatively young age as a species, this tenet dominates their culture and justifies their treatment of visiting races, though there are signs of some beginning to question this, implying that Floran individuals might not be inherently “evil” as previously thought.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Another teaser. From twitter.

And a reminder from twitter, for those who'd like to support the game early (as opposed to supporting the game by buying it when it finally comes out), Wanderlust is on sale in Steam.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh heeeeeey, another teaser. Puuuuurty.

This reminds me, in Terraria, wasn't there a way to turn off the HUD so that you could take clean screenshots?

Did you guys notice the robot in the floran village?

God I'm going blind, I spent 5 minutes looking, and failed to noticed the stupid red box which clearly indicates where the "robot" is.
Is it a robot? I can't really tell. Again, blind.

Now for the weekly random bump.

Levitating Monster:
BaAh6.png

Also they apparently have started a very private beta and there was another live stream the other day, looking for a recording now. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Edit: And here is the video.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
It was tweeted a few minutes ago, looks like there is now cooking in the game.

The glorious magical food, bacon, was mentioned.

Retro

Twitter said:
We built a little castle! Capes are cool.
RhVek.png
Getting some serious Super Castlevania IV vibes, I think it's the brick texture.

So, from left to right, we've got;
Hanging lantern, small blue bricks, grey bricks, red doors, wood floors torches, upholstered chairs, really nice looking tables, real-world paintings in game (we knew about Starry Night, first time seeing the Mona Lisa), nice looking bed and wardrobe, long tables, lots of dishes/food items as props, Lantern chandelier, a china cabinet, and chains (which we've seen before but look really good). Also, capes ARE cool.

Edit: Weathervane on top of the smaller roof too. Definitely going to be spending all of my time building, or hunting for stuff to build with.

Retro

It's gonna be weird when you're not playing GW2 for however long when this game drops, Retro. :p

I'd pitch in for a server, if that's how it went last time. I did the Hamachi thing to play previously, and I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

They've said that networking will be much easier than Terraria, so I don't think we'll need Hamachi. One thing is for sure though, it's gonna be busy as hell. A lot of people didn't jump aboard Terraria until late, so we never really had a TON of people right at the beginning. People played a lot when there were updates, but then fell off, but the hype was never quite as strong as it should have been because people just didn't know about it or didn't understand what it entailed.

With Starbound, we know what we're getting. We know exactly what to expect, roughly. Whoever's hosting that server is gonna have a ton of people on there.

And yeah, I'm worried about my GW2 playtime too. My thinking is that the people I play GW2 with (my wife included) work days... so I'll play that during the day and then Starbound all night. Who needs sleep, right?

Luckily, there's no subscription so I can take a hiatus and come back for events and such.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'd pitch in for a server, if that's how it went last time. I did the Hamachi thing to play previously, and I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

We're still not sure how the whole server thing works with this game, honestly. The main Terraria server that we had ran on my computer at home. If we could rent a server out, that would be great, but if not, I'll probably run the server for this game too, at least.

demolitio

Wow, I'm finally catching up on media for this and now I can't wait. It's been a very long time since I played Terraria but I can't wait to play this with some of you guys again. Good times.

Mandoric

Banned
We're still not sure how the whole server thing works with this game, honestly. The main Terraria server that we had ran on my computer at home. If we could rent a server out, that would be great, but if not, I'll probably run the server for this game too, at least.

I'll probably have a VPS spare around that time, but I'm waiting to play around with the actual game a bit and get a feel for the relative importance of RAM/HDD/latency.

IceMarker

I look forward to playing this with Retro and Harlan especially. I loved the hell out of Terraria, but after how support just dropped like a rock for it... I hope Starbound becomes what Terraria could have and more!

In that castle pic the blue bricks above the left door seem kind of off. They seem like they have perfectly straight edges and they don't really gel with the rest of the bricks. Different than the other blue bricks in the image...

Just ocd nitpicking...

duckroll

I will preorder for alpha access. I will preorder for a working title screen and options menu. I don't care. JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING TO PAY FOR! Lol.

vareon

Ah, the last beacon of hope after that Sim City shenanigans. Will pay good dollars for this, Tiyuri, just give me the option!

Top Bottom