• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

For those that played throught Mass effect andromeda or gotten dozens of hours in, is the frame rate any better on the pro? because it's shitty on the base system, actually shitty is an understatement.

I think the game has a lot of frame rate problems on the Pro as well. It was a shit Bioware port as usual

Was Everybody's Golf confirmed to be native 4K?

To me it has the most jaggies and shimmering I've seen in a Pro resolution enhanced game. (Still looks great otherwise).

JP

I'm totally with you. My TV isn't one of the best when it comes to hdr Sony xd83 but it has changed everything for me. I often find myself skipping games that don't have hdr as they just look so flat and lifeless in comparison.

Be sure to check out horizon!
I have tried Horizon and it's another one that looks fantastic, I've worked my way through all the listed HDR games so I'm wanting more now.

EDIT:
I'm really hoping that the Witcher 3 patch also includes HDR optimisation, I think it would really add to some of the environments.

EDIT 2:
I've started checking a few games for HDR. If there's no HDR switch then I play them in AUTO mode and see what picture format it's using then switch manually between the GAME and HDR GAME modes to compare them.

• Project Cars 2 (Automatic HDR)
  • Redout: Lightspeed Edition (Automatic HDR)
  • Knack 2 (Selectable HDR)

philm87

Was Everybody's Golf confirmed to be native 4K?

To me it has the most jaggies and shimmering I've seen in a Pro resolution enhanced game. (Still looks great otherwise).

Looks great on my TV, no jaggies at all. Try turning the sharpness setting down as this can sometimes have that effect,

Doombear

Can't vouch for PS4 vanilla but P.Cars 2 on PS4 Pro has HDR I can confirm 100%

I just returned PC2 myself, so can't look in to this more... but the opening video and in game 'cutscenes' were horribly gray looking to me on my Pro/KS9000. Did you notice anything at all like that in your experience with it? I found it so odd. Thought I had messed up some TV settings or something. During actual races, though, it looked fine!

Prepare to be surprised.

Thanks so much! I wish every game produced screens that were this easily countable. Both Danganronpa V3 and Ys VIII are 1800p, with only a very little uncertainty. The buffer size for both (3200x1800) is pretty sure, and Dangonronpa seems to be standard rendering, but Ys VIII has a small twist. Some of its edges have dithery artifacting. Potentially, this could be due to checkerboard rendering. However, the patterns of the artifacts are not in a regular grid. Therefore, I don't think CBR is being used. Rather, I believe this is from temporal anti-aliasing, perhaps using jittered samples; the artifacts seem to repeat gnarly shapes at very small scale. This is speculative, though, and I can't rule out weird-looking CBR artifacting.

Note that DOF in the game seems to use quarter-resolution, so this can also give the impression of lower resolution than it's actually running. It's still fundamentally a remastered Vita game, and though the models and textures are actually noticeably improved from the original, limitations are visible all over the place.

In addition to these games, I made the changes discussed earlier to several supported and Boosted titles. I also expanded the checklist from the OP. There have been multiple smaller games recently which claim Pro enhancements, but for which good analysis material is very hard to find. If anyone can contribute anything on the games listed, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks so much, and let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

That gets me kinda annoyed about YS.

It was advertised as 4k for months. 1800p is great and all - it's not a huge difference at the end of the day - but I'm getting annoyed with how often I have to check threads like this to see if something is actually 4k.

JP

I just returned PC2 myself, so can't look in to this more... but the opening video and in game 'cutscenes' were horribly gray looking to me on my Pro/KS9000. Did you notice anything at all like that in your experience with it? I found it so odd. Thought I had messed up some TV settings or something. During actual races, though, it looked fine!
I was the one who mentioned HDR support in the game earlier in the thread.

I've not actually played the game properly, it's more that I've tested it by racing in different conditions. What I have found is that the HDR isn't particularly strong in this game and I've tried to test things like lighting but I'm only seeing a moderate change between when I run it in SDR and HDR.

For me, both SDR and HDR versions look fine though but it doesn't seem to be a particularly well-implemented application of HDR.

Is that something you feel yourself? Did you find the HDR while racing to be pretty mild?

Maybe there's actually a bug with the HDR implementation for you and me.

Tyaren

Still no info/news about the Witcher 3 Pro patch? Even after it was supposed to come out in "a few days"? ;)
I hope whatever they are doing, there will be downsampling on 1080p TVs...

belvedere

Junior Butler
Still no info/news about the Witcher 3 Pro patch? Even after it was supposed to come out in "a few days"? ;)
I hope whatever they are doing, there will be downsampling on 1080p TVs...

I'm wondering too as I've been holding off on playing the game. I'm betting they won't release it until the XoX update is rolled out.

Any word yet on what the Pro enhancements are for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen?

I suspect it's already done, but they won't release it until the xb1x patch is out.

BigEmil

Witcher 3 PS4 Pro patch released!

I got an update 1.50 right now on my Witcher 3 GOTY edition

It just says

- PS4tm Pro Suppoet

Necro900

Witcher 3 PS4 Pro patch released!

I got an update 1.50 right now on my Witcher 3 GOTY edition

It just says

- PS4tm Pro Suppoet

That's way sooner than I expected! Can anyone provide screens?

I expect 1440p tops with no other techniques applied, but I guess we'll see

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some quick n dirty snaps from the first 5 mins of the game with the Pro patch, hopefully Liabe Brave can help:

1080p PNG's

thewitcher3_wildhuntcbjr14.png

thewitcher3_wildhuntci3qhr.png

thewitcher3_wildhuntc9frpj.png

4k JPG's for helping with pixel count if there's a resolution bump:

Some quick n dirty snaps from the first 5 mins of the game with the Pro patch, hopefully Liabe Brave can help:

1080p PNG's

4k JPG's for helping with pixel count if there's a resolution bump:
I can't pixel count, but those 4K screens look really damn nice. There's a definitely a res bump in sight.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I cannot! That takes a super trained eye! All I did was follow DF's guide on how to pixel count.

That's still good enough and thanks for the quick pixel count :)

1080p to 1800p for a complex game like The Witcher 3 is an incredible bump. Good job CDPR.

Update! I received some great screenshots of the Witcher 3!

I can now say, 100% sure, that the game is running at 2160p (on the edges)!

Whether or not it is just on the edges is not for me to discern!

YsuJfWh.png

Here is an image if you want to count yourself!

4k with share button

1zMYD.png

Thanks for the screens!

Did one last pixel count on the pic I quoted

MM02GH5.png

That's 2160p right there, yesssss sirrrr

Just keep in mind that it only applies to the edges of the geo (or at least that's what it appears to be)

Very pleased with the efforts from CDPR!

Right now we have 1440p x 30 FPS unconfirmed
I can confirm that Dark Arisen is 1440p.

Did one last pixel count on the pic I quoted

That's 2160p right there, yesssss sirrrr

Just keep in mind that it only applies to the edges of the geo (or at least that's what it appears to be)
I believe the game is native 4K, not using "geometry rendering" or CBR. For the latter, there are no speckle artifacts as typical (though there is a faint solid halo around some objects, leading me to believe some temporal effect may be in place). EDIT: Looking at NXGamer's video, his shots do seem to show CBR artifacts, even though I've not seen any of these in the shots posted to GAF. I stand by my belief that it's not geometry rendering (as detailed below), but it may be 2160c instead of 2160p.

As for the former, yes many of the textures don't appear very sharp, as we might expect if they were being shaded at a lower resolution. But at the very least, some textures are really being rendered at native 4K. Here's a massive zoom of one, showing that there are single-pixel details. This would be impossible if geometry rendering was used.

detailuek62.png

That said, I expect there's a mixture of techniques here, including some onscreen elements that are not full resolution. In addition to the textures, some foliage sprites seem to be anamorphic. In the below zoom, note in the tan grass how there are vertical details only a pixel tall, but all horizontal detail is two pixels wide.

detail247uls.png

However, this doesn't apply to all foliage. In another crop from the same screenshot, tree leaves do have details both one pixel wide and one pixel tall.

detail317ul0.png

Differences may be due to very aggressive mipmap levels at the high framebuffer size. In any case, it's consonant with common efficiency methods in many games, where individual effects like shadows and particles are lower resolution than the overall image. As far as I can see, none of it points to The Witcher III actually running at something other than native 4K.

Top Bottom