• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Does anyone know the MP lead's gamertag? How many games of online Halo has he played? Just curious.

Designers never play the games lol.

ibgRS9dgiQon1e.gif

Interesting that the grenades are in the top right on this, but in the DMR screenshot, they are on the top left.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Its funny, because one explanation/justification for armor abilities in Reach was because new players didn't really understand when and how to use equipment in Halo 3.

Now, the justification for moving away from static, timed power weapons is because new players don't know where power weapons are, or when they will appear. Now you don't need to watch the clock or learn the map.. who cares! Wait for the blinking light to tell you where to pile-on.

Maybe it will be a good thing.. its not like more experienced players will just camp the power weapon and grenade the hell out of it while Command Derp and his split screen buddies make a dash for rockets.

You need to learn the map. They do not spawn in random places, or times. There are systems within systems for time. They can be learned. And there will be new strategies for drops.

What makes Halo feel like Halo is going to be a moving target for anyone regardless of what they say.

Before Reach I would've said that sprint doesn't belong in Halo, but now I'm pretty well adjusted to it so in a sense Reach changed my mind on what is "Halo".

On the other hand I also would've said "slow strafing speed is not something that belongs in Halo" and Reach actually verified that rather nicely.

So to me Halo is going to be an ever-evolving experience with some things being less likely to "feel like Halo" than other things. I happen to think a lot of the ideas in Reach could've worked if they had another layer or two of polish. Armor lock was an awful idea from day one (a mechanic that effectively stops combat for both players involved in a 1v1 conflict? Really? I have over 2,000 Rejection medals and none of them were fun). Camo and jetpack both could've been fun with some tweaks/nerfing, so I can imagine a Halo 4 that has all of these things and remains competitive and fun.

That being the case, right now I tend to relate to kylej's posts more than Hydra's, but that could be reversed by something as simple as a 5 minute gameplay video.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You need to learn the map. They do not spawn in random places, or times. There are systems within systems for time. They can be learned. And there will be new strategies for drops.

How hard is this to do? High level stuff or what? Just a matter or memorization?

Tunavi

Banned
BSangel said:
A glance to the right, however, reveals space as far as the eye can see.
lol space is infinite, so of course it's as far as the eye can see.

and why does that gif look like its above 30 FPS?

kylej

Banned

Sounds like a perfectly inuitive design choice that's sure to be a hit with new and lesser skilled players. Good change from the old imo.

Not falling for the "trust us" again. Is there a single person at 343 outside of some old Bungie holdovers and David Ellis who have played more than 1000 games of Halo in their life? Anyone play even remotely competitively? Ever? It's all fine to say it's balanced and works great in an environment of relatively unskilled people, the problem is this stuff never gets played and tested by "skilled" members of the community. I mean, Bungie told people to trust them, and they didn't realize the space section of Zealot with no kill timer would be exploited.

Halo 4 looks like another weak swipe at COD - just like Reach - only more disjointed and disastrous. X-ray vision, camo, all this stuff is nonsense. I want to time weapons, force spawns, grab map control, and out think & out play the other team, not run around in an FFA bonanza of randomized armor abilities that were fun to a guy who has played 3 hours of Halo in his life.

V0muF.gif

Competitive players new anthem

Condemned is one of those maps that is designed for 6v6 play, which is terrible because that doesn't really have much of a place in matchmaking. Games are overwhelmingly 8 players or 16, and a map like Condemned is too large for 4v4 and too small for 8v8.

Damn it, just explain how it works lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How hard is this to do? High level stuff or what? Just a matter or memorization?

Um, I can sort of do it, but not execute on the information. Or panic. Or forget. You've all played against me, take that for what it's worth. Although I did score a one handed triple in Swat while talking to Lars about going to see Cabin in the Woods about twenty five minutes ago. ONE HANDED.

lol space is infinite, so of course it's as far as the eye can see.

and why does that gif look like its above 30 FPS?

They haven't added MechaKyle yet

Sounds good to me. That's what I was starting to think was going to be the case.

Considering its his job and supposedly he.she should be passionate about also. I would say at least 5000 games played (diverse across playlists/gametypes) in every Halo game. Plus whatever isn't on his gamertags. Possibly extensive FPS and other game knowledge on a computer and other systems as well.
I'm not sure it has to be that high. If someone played a few thousand games each of Marathon, Quake, and Unreal in High School/College and then went into game development would they really need to play 20,000 games of Halo (5k of each game) to understand how to make a good Halo game? Maybe several hundred to a thousand of each Halo, at most.

If you have an understanding of what makes FPS's fun in general then it probably wouldn't take long to figure out Halo's relationship to--and unique charm within--the genre.

So sexy (the AR and the animation).
Yeah, the game looks good and the audio sounds good, but I'm still super nervous. WHY DO I CARE SO MUCH ABOUT A GAME THAT IS IN DEVELOPMENT!!????!!!

EDIT:

Um, I can sort of do it, but not execute on the information. Or panic. Or forget. You've all played against me, take that for what it's worth. Although I did score a one handed triple in Swat while talking to Lars about going to see Cabin in the Woods about twenty five minutes ago. ONE HANDED.
If Frankie is playing against other Halo 4 devs, please ignore everything I said above.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

It is interesting though. We'll just see how it pans out for each map.

daedalius

I'm not sure it has to be that high. If someone played a few thousand games each of Marathon, Quake, and Unreal in High School/College and then went into game development would they really need to play 20,000 games of Halo (5k of each game) to understand how to make a good Halo game? Maybe several hundred to a thousand of each Halo, at most.

Oh man, so much Quake 2/3 rocket arena...

Blueblur1

I imagine it'll be similar to how Gears 3 cycles weapon spawns with system layered on top of it that has the weapon spawn affected by whether or not there is a player within a certain radius of the spawn point. I mean, if I wanted to enhancing the spawn systems that's what I would do.

It looks like more than 30 FPS, am I right? Would the off-screen have anything to do with it?

It really does though. But I seriously can't believe it.
The amazing lighting, the 720p resolution.
How could they pull that off?
First party Microsoft exclusive + one of largest IPs in video games = hundreds of millions of budget = makes the impossible, possible

But maybe it only looks so good on Wraparound because it doesn't have MechKyle butchering framerates! :)

I go trout fishing today and come back to both epic news and drama, all of which made a fun read. Halo 4 news tomorrow on Conan? This should be really, really fun. I wonder if they will show anything new, or just go over things that we already know and throw the release date at us.

Also, if Nov. 6th is the date it will be interesting to see how they plan to market Halo 4 during prime CoD time.

Eddie Smith put some of his CEA art back up on his site, and there are two pieces I hadn't seen before
My god, the art is amazing.. I wish they would have been able to fully realize it in the game.

That gif fills me with glee and disappointment- The lighting looks godly, but the AR looks straight out of Halo 3. If it weren't for the amazing lighting I would almost think it was off screen footage of narrows.

If Frankie is playing against other Halo 4 devs, please ignore everything I said above.

Thats pretty much my past besides Marathon is replaced with lots and lots of Doom.

I went Doom > UT > Quake3 > Goldeneye > Halo > COD > Halo Basically.

I guess past games can pass for experience but I'd like them to have a really good handle on whats worked and what doesn't work in Halo. Like the people working on the playlists still have very little knowledge of proper map/playlist control. Especially size related to weaponry and player count. This has been an issue since Halo 2 but it got real bad in 3 since the individual was so limited from the overbalancing.

feel

It looks like more than 30 FPS, am I right? Would the off-screen have anything to do with it?
Whatever framerate the actual game has, the video probably changed it and the gif changed it again.

That gif fills me with glee and disappointment- The lighting looks godly, but the AR looks straight out of Halo 3. If it weren't for the amazing lighting I would almost think it was off screen footage of narrows.
The part surrounding the display and huge chunks on the rest of the weapon are now black. That's as different as I want them to make it. <3

Top Bottom