• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best roguelike on the DS - New official thread of you will buy Shiren DS

Shinblade

Banned
Haunted One said:
Great thread.

Although the US cover is one of the worst I've ever seen, especially considering the original.

610jTpo6PwL._SS500_.jpg

Oh sega...

:lol :lol :lol

Sega sega sega.... sigh.

lyre

TheExodu5 said:
Probably Pokemon D/P and Etrian Odyssey would be named. Also, a bunch of SNES RPG ports for the GBA. RPGs on the DS aren't that great otherwise.
Pokymanz is a quality RPG but nowhere near the top. Otherwise, you shut your whore mouth, whore!

Calen

GreenNight said:
If you guys like this game, try Nethack. Hardcore+++ and free.
Seconded. I've been playing Nethack off and on for more time than I am willing to admit...

In addition to Nethack, Angband and it's bajillion variants are also hugely fun. They are a bit different in tone - less of a "hey let's figure out every possible item interaction" and more crawling through hundreds of levels of huge dungeons slaughtering thousands of monsters.

They're all freakishly hard, too. I think I've won maybe five games of Nethack and ten or so of Angband + variants the entire time I've been playing them.

All that said I am picking up Shiren as soon as I can find a copy. Sounds freaking awesome.

Johnas

So is this gonna be Etrian Odyssey rare, where I need to pick it up ASAP or risk having to resort to Ebay to get a new copy?

I first learned of this yesterday by reading the new copy of EGM of all things, they had a small blurb on it. I like the screens and the general look of the game, and I love Sugiyama's stuff. I hadn't really even heard the term "roguelike" until a few years ago, but this game sounds old-school and hardcore enough to be lots of fun.

Does Shiren suffer from only being able to see a tiny number of squares at once? I found it really annoying on Izuna, trying to aim missile attacks at enemies that are off-screen...

In traditional (ASCII) roguelikes, this was never an issue.

DarkKyo

Wow, honestly, I was pretty interested in getting this until I saw the US boxart.

Massive failure there. Massive, massive failure.

LordGek

TreeFrog78 said:
Does Shiren suffer from only being able to see a tiny number of squares at once? I found it really annoying on Izuna, trying to aim missile attacks at enemies that are off-screen...

In traditional (ASCII) roguelikes, this was never an issue.

Enh, its a decent compromise, I think. The main screen appears to show about 9x9 spaces but the upper screen can show the map of the entire level and with the red little dots on the overhead map its easy enough to at least determine cardinal direction lineups for your wands and arrows even if out of sight but still within range (about ten spaces for most wands and arrows).

LordGek

lyre said:
Yes, indeed.

Buy Shiren DS so we get Shiren iii for Wiii, you *expletive*!

Hell yeah!! I love Shiren DS but, damn, I want the LATEST evolution of the series (i.e. the sequel to the DC/PC Shiren)!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
lyre said:
Yes, indeed.

Buy Shiren DS so we get Shiren iii for Wiii, you *expletive*!
i'm afraid it may not be sufficient - we need to buy shiren ds _and_ storm sega HQ with pitch forks.

keanerie

Grimm Fandango said:
Good score from 1up, not so good ones from IGN and Nintendo Power.

When it comes to niche titles like this, I tend to trust reviewers with somewhat niche-y taste like Parish.

Anyhow, NP probably doesn't want this to cannibalize Pokemon Mystery Dungeon sales, so there that explains that score without resorting to conspiracy theories, and IGN probably didn't want to give Shiren a good score cause the review would draw traffic away from their Brawl coverage. There, discrepancies explained, we can all return to buying this game.

The Hermit

One of the best hype-driven OP I have ever seen! Never heard before and now I would consider buying
If I hadn´t given my DS to my brother :(

Also that US cover is Snes Goemon bad...

Darkpen

Banned
lyre said:
You, your avatar and all of your kind, are the plague to good gaming and are the not only part of the problem but the source of it.
you can take that statement and burn yourself with fire.

Persona 3 says hi.

inthegray

great score from parish. guess he doesn't mind extremely difficult games, after all. eat that, UGNG whiners!

like Nintendo Power, IGN gave Shiren a 6.5.

i'm adding as many of you as possible to my friends list once i pick this up so you can all save my constantly dying ass.

oh hi IGN

Far too often the dungeon's exit would appear in the same room we started (or even in the very next space), thus negating any need to explore that floor, unless we wanted some items that may or may not be there. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to program the exit to not be in the room Shiren starts in, so that we were guaranteed to at least walk through a little bit of dungeon.

Concept eluded: risk versus reward

Of course, the fun of the game is dungeon exploring, so we ought to be motivated to trek through each floor, regardless of exit location. Problem is, after the first time through a dungeon, items never appear there again unless you die or return to the first town.

Concept eluded: Basic fucking gameplay mechanic

Maybe if the battle system was exciting it would be more fun to play dungeons multiple times. However, due to the turn-based nature of the game, the entire experience feels stop-and-go. Attacking enemies is a quick, no frills affair with only the minimal amount of animations. Granted, this is a port of a Super Nintendo game, but even other SNES RPGs managed to have a little more pizzazz. When we bust out a Lightning Staff or breathe fire thanks to Dragon Herb, we certainly wouldn't mind a smidge more style. We just lit some undead soldier on fire after all, give us something to "ooh and ah" over!

Concept eluded: Simplicity over frills

There is little motivation to level up by going into the dungeon again because it's at the expense of our items and money that we weren't even earning back by going through the floors.

Concept eluded: Monster drops, shops, monster houses

The brutal punishment system has a very obvious chilling effect on the player. We quickly lost any motivation to experiment or even do much exploring in the game, for fear of death. For instance, players can actually steal from the various shops in the game, but have to battle the crazy strong shopkeeper, then escape guards and attack dogs. There are a number of cool and interesting ways to do it, but the risk of dying is enough to scare us out of attempting it more than a couple times. Plus, we found that getting killed outside of a dungeon means that we could not be rescued by another player.

Concept eluded: Trial and error as a necessary gameplay mechanic

Also, I think there's like one time you can get hurt outside of a dungeon, and it's early in the game. Certainly not anything to get upset about.

I realize I'm ranting over an IGN review, but seriously, I have to say this again so everyone understands:

You are supposed to die in this game. Over and over and over again. The gameplay revolves around dying, because you are supposed to learn from your mistakes.

If I could change the size of the font, this would be in the biggest font possible.

I cannot overstate this enough: Death is not the game saying "fuck you". It's the game saying "pay more attention next time". Death is not the end. Death is not all your progress reset to zero, because unless you're a moron, you are smarter for your death.

Anyway, props to Mr. Parish for really understanding the game. I'll add both reviews to the opening and hope people choose the "right" one to believe.

lyre said:
Yes, indeed.

Buy Shiren DS so we get Shiren iii for Wiii and the Koppa Wiimote stand, you *expletive*!

Edit: stupid tags

Added a crucial point. I am not cool enough for roguelikes, but I really want the silly Wiimote stand.

edit: Give the OP an award for posting.

Is this the same as the SNES game of the same name that came out about 12 years ago? I've played that game (as well as it's prequel, Torneko's Mysterious Dungeon) and it's a decent Roguelike but it is a Roguelike. However, OP is a lame continuation of the "my opinion is right you are wrong" trend that's been on the internet since Maddox got popular a while ago.

Synth_floyd said:
Is this the same as the SNES game of the same name that came out about 12 years ago? I've played that game (as well as it's prequel, Torneko's Mysterious Dungeon) and it's a decent Roguelike but it is a Roguelike. However, OP is a lame continuation of the "my opinion is right you are wrong" trend that's been on the internet since Maddox got popular a while ago.

Well, uh, I'm not exactly going to argue your point that it is a roguelike, even if it's a specialized and refined one.

Believe me, I didn't make this topic the way I did in order to force the game on others - just to get attention for a game that will likely languish on store shelves due to bad box art and inherent niche appeal. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't anticipating a backlash of people who are upset with my saying this is the best RPG on the DS and then it turns out that they don't like and/or get it. I've sown the seeds of hype, if they grow to become an army of Audrey IIs, that is my fate.

Luckily, I don't have a reputation to throw away - aside from topics like this, I'm mainly at NeoGAF to ask questions and hopefully net a wide range of answers. To give you my life story: I'm an amateur game researcher (I'm not exactly the GDRI, but I tend to accumulate odd trivia and knowledge in the back of my brain and I sometimes find reasons to share) and dream of being a game developer some day. So topics like this are really the exception for me, and mainly trying to make sure that the talent that goes into underdogs is recognized - I don't want ChunSoft to be known in the US as "that Japanese company that made that Pokemon dungeon crawler".

Even if you were to forcibly strip away every bit of hyperbole, I believe that pretty much any gamer with patience and an open mind will find an interesting and challenging experience in Shiren - and if they enjoy it, they will most certainly get their money's worth. This is a card I don't usually play, but when you consider some of the fare that that is being sold at $30 and above on store shelves, even and especially among DS games....Shiren is a damn good deal.

Actually my main argument was about the cliched rhetorial device you used rather than anything about the actual game. I checked Wikipedia and it says the DS version is a "port" of the SNES version (originally from 1995) which I assume means they didn't really change much. You don't really need to worry about Chunsoft though. They are known as the "company who made Dragon Quests 1-5."

Sadly, there's no good footage of Shiren out there. I'm thinking of emailing some sites that review it to request footage, but who knows how that may go over.

Synth_floyd said:
Actually my main argument was about the cliched rhetorial device you used rather than anything about the actual game. I checked Wikipedia and it says the DS version is a "port" of the SNES version (originally from 1995) which I assume means they didn't really change much. You don't really need to worry about Chunsoft though. They are known as the "company who made Dragon Quests 1-5."

Cliches work, as this topic has displayed. Whether they should is a matter left for places other than this...

The changes to the DS version of Shiren are quite numberable, while it isn't a complete overhaul, the game itself has been enhanced in many gameplay areas. It's less of a port and more of a "Director's Cut".

As for ChunSoft, I doubt many western gamers realize that they were heavily involved in the Dragon Quest series. I'm fairly sure quite a number wouldn't even care....

bigswords said:
No CO-op? no sale.

Not many turn-based RPGs support co-op....however, the game does have a rescue mode, where you can rescue a friend from death and reap a reward or two. I believe it works basically the same as the mode in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
dark steve said:
oh hi IGN

Jack DeVries@IGN said:
Far too often the dungeon's exit would appear in the same room we started (or even in the very next space), thus negating any need to explore that floor, unless we wanted some items that may or may not be there. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to program the exit to not be in the room Shiren starts in, so that we were guaranteed to at least walk through a little bit of dungeon.

Concept eluded: risk versus reward

risk vs reward? he missed the whole mother-effin concept of dungeons in those games, for christ sake!

Teasel

well jeremy parish review sums the game in a pretty good manner
i'll try to summarize ign review by translating a single passage
And here lies another problem with the game: you have to go back through the dungeons. Despite Shiren the Wanderer's quite literally linear design, players will not be able to plow, or even trod, through the game because it is so unforgiving. Leveling up Shiren is not the best way to progress, though it certainly doesn't hurt. Instead, upgrading weapons and shields is the key to success. It's a strategy that we find intriguing and has the potential to be fun, but the way the game is set up forces players to backtrack and handicap themselves. Mystery Dungeon practically requires the player to trudge through dungeons, spend money upgrading a weapon, then turn around and trudge back to the very first town (which incidentally reduces you to level one). It is the very definition of "slow and steady wins the race."
WAAAHHH WAAAHHH I CAN'T BEAT THIS ONE! 6.5 :'(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this is why you people shouldnt really pay attention to the media at all.

lolz @ ign review just lolz

ign said:
Maybe if the battle system was exciting it would be more fun to play dungeons multiple times. However, due to the turn-based nature of the game, the entire experience feels stop-and-go. Attacking enemies is a quick, no frills affair with only the minimal amount of animations. Granted, this is a port of a Super Nintendo game, but even other SNES RPGs managed to have a little more pizzazz. When we bust out a Lightning Staff or breathe fire thanks to Dragon Herb, we certainly wouldn't mind a smidge more style. We just lit some undead soldier on fire after all, give us something to "ooh and ah" over!
huahauhauahua

Davidion

You know, this game is almost beginning to sound like a Rogue/Nethack "clone".

Edit: nevermind, comparisons made a million times over.

LordGek

Davidion said:
You know, this game is almost beginning to sound like a Rogue/Nethack "clone".

Edit: nevermind, comparisons made a million times over.

It does take a LOT from the original Rogue/Nethack (I mean the way the shops work complete with the keystone kops and secret gold vaults is RIGHT out of Nethack), but the concept of pots, monster meat, wands of swap spaces, and most of the weirder monster abilities (a tough brute that when damaged enough turns into a chicken, literally, or a scruffy looking guy that turns any item he steps on into a useless weed) are pretty unique to the Mystery Dungeon series of games.

LordGek

Error said:
this is why you people shouldnt really pay attention to the media at all.

lolz @ ign review just lolz

Yeah, he has a point, why can't we get one of those Final Fantasy Summon animations everytime we use a wand? Oh sure they're annoying, break up the gameplay flow, and would always be skipped if possible...but golly they would make the game much more snazzy!

LordGek

2DMention said:
Another dungeon game? Pass.

Power to you, 2DMention, if not a big fan of repetitive crawling around through randomly generated dungeons, you should avoid this one like the plague.

sk3tch

I pre-ordered this yesterday from my local Game Crazy. The store manager said it was a "quick turn" game which means they may not get it in immediately since I pre-ordered it so late (they get copies purely based on pre-orders when they're quick turn, I guess). He said it'd hopefully be Friday.

Here's hoping. :)

LordGek

I too have now received my Physical Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer English Language Update from Gamestop!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mejilan said:
Until tomorrow, my only goal in life is to walk into a Gamestop with cash in my fists, and walk out with Anno 1701 and Shiren the Wanderer in each hand, instead.

DS DUAL WIELDING FTMFW!!!

Quoting myself from another thread, but I wound up walking into a GS today and snapping up the last (only?) copies of both of these games during my lunch break! :D

Proven

dark steve said:
Think of me as the guy standing on the street corner and waving a sign for a nearby business.

Also I'm thinking of updating this topic with the very real, very true stories of my epic adventures in this game.

Popping in to say: Please do this.

Although I like difficulty if a game gets me to put it down because of these days, I'll often take a loooooong break from it. Push me off the fence.

Top Bottom