• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

I cringe so hard every time people use vaseline, vaseline filter etc. when talking about graphics.

Funnily enough, I cringe when people gush about mistaking GTS for real life. Some of you need to get your eyes tested. It looks great in places for a videogame running on relatively weak hardware, but it never ever looks like it could be mistaken for real life. Same goes for Forza.

Is this baked selfshadowing?
0y23Pmh.jpg

RtQtlD9.jpg

Like in the corner where the window + frame meet? Yeah, looks like it. Faked direction AO painted into the texture by the looks of it. If you turn the car in a circle you should be able to tell (as it would not change directions).

TBiddy

No not from gameplay camera angles

That's new for me. I swear I read somewhere that replays were running at 30 FPS with some extra stuff added on. Motion blur, I think.

But if not, I stand corrected. That doesn't change the fact, that the image I was commenting on didn't look all that impressive. I've seen GTS look much better.

Sini

Like in the corner where the window + frame meet? Yeah, looks like it. Faked direction AO painted into the texture by the looks of it. If you turn the car in a circle you should be able to tell (as it would not change directions).

Do you know that during overcast, sometimes shadows are barely visible IRL ?
The steering wheel... You two are looking at completely wrong areas.
Why else would he have two otherwise identical images?

Gestault

Why does it matter then if you never noticed it before? Whatever it's doing it must be real effective at doing it.

We're in a thread discussing the visuals in racing titles. If I were driving one of those cars in cockpit view (which isn't uncommon), it would be an obvious visual quirk.

shandy706

After putting time into both games it's pretty much this.

GT has amazing non-gameplay (although..it's still technically the game..so that term feels weird) moments visually. Scapes, good DOF on replays putting the focus on the cars, the way the cars are lit, the general lighting of some tracks. Other cars look nice during a race. At certain time settings the game can look really good in motion (see low sun, long shadow, high contrast moments).

Forza 7 has the better graphics during actual gameplay across the board in my experience. Textures are much nicer/cleaner during a race, LOD is better, IQ is better, the environments as a whole look much better during an actual race (especially on a 4k screen). Forza 7's replays suck (why can't Turn 10 get this right!!...I think it's worse than 5 and 6). Maple Valley, trees wise is disappointing....really disappointing.

Forza 7 seems to use DOF or something during races too. The way fog/smoke/haze fades into the distance creates a real...Idk....depth, I guess is the right word. GT in what I played..everything is just sort of "there" visually. Things are janky looking in the distance, textures are really blurry more than 20 yards from the car, some backgrounds are too low-res to be on a big screen (the screenshots look nice on small screens, especially a phone). The trees in GT, while I find the way they are lit to be nicer, they're often a mess anywhere more than 50 yards away visually.

The skies in Forza 7 are a different beast altogether. They're dreary at times (purposefully), they're dark and menacing, they're absolutely breathtaking at times (thanks Horizon 3). Are GT's static?...they all looked static while I was playing. The backgrounds (like distant mountains) often looked like static (not 3D) textures when in the distance too.

Anyway, I think both games are worth buying for their own unique things and they both seem to be really good games.

This is a graphics thread, so for me I guess this is my general thought right now:

In-race graphics (on an actual TV/Big Screen) overall = Forza 7 Wins

Car details/Photomode/Scapes/Car Materials/Replays = GT:S Wins

Neither one is the hands down, owns everything, winner...not close on either side.

Thank you telling us which plateforms are yours my friend...

Do huh?

dr guildo

GT has amazing non-gameplay (although..it's still technically the game..so that term feels weird) moments visually. Scapes, good DOF on replays putting the focus on the cars, the way the cars are lit, the general lighting of some tracks. Other cars look nice during a race. At certain time settings the game can look really good in motion (see low sun, long shadow, high contrast moments).

Forza 7 has the better graphics during actual gameplay across the board in my experience. Textures are much nicer/cleaner during a race, LOD is better, IQ is better, the environments as a whole look much better during an actual race (especially on a 4k screen). Forza 7's replays suck (why can't Turn 10 get this right!!...I think it's worse than 5 and 6). Maple Valley, trees wise is disappointing....really disappointing.

Forza 7 seems to use DOF or something during races too. The way fog/smoke/haze fades into the distance creates a real...Idk....depth, I guess is the right word. GT in what I played..everything is just sort of "there" visually. Things are janky looking in the distance, textures are really blurry more than 20 yards from the car, some backgrounds are too low-res to be on a big screen (the screenshots look nice on small screens, especially a phone). The trees in GT, while I find the way they are lit to be nicer, they're often a mess anywhere more than 50 yards away visually.

The skies in Forza 7 are a different beast altogether. They're dreary at times (purposefully), they're dark and menacing, they're absolutely breathtaking at times (thanks Horizon 3). Are GT's static?...they all looked static while I was playing. The backgrounds (like distant mountains) often looked like static (not 3D) textures when in the distance too.

Anyway, I think both games are worth buying for their own unique things and they both seem to be really good games.

This is a graphics thread, so for me I guess this is my general thought right now:

Neither one is the hands down, owns everything, winner...not close on either side.

Thank you telling us which plateforms are yours my friend...

bombshell

shandy, just for context that is based on the PC version of Forza 7, right? As I remember that is what you tend to play. Textures, LOD and IQ being better in that should be a given.

Also, did you fix your overscan TV situation on PS4? Otherwise you're not looking at a natively scaled image.

dr guildo

What about their takeaway seems to off-base to you that you're accusing them of...what are you accusing them of, exactly?

I don't get the problem with my previous sentence, I just ask to name the platforms (PC, Xone, PS4) which was used to drive his testings.

shandy706

shandy, just for context that is based on the PC version of Forza 7, right? As I remember that is what you tend to play. Textures, LOD and IQ being better in that should be a given.

Also, did you fix your overscan TV situation on PS4? Otherwise you're not looking at a natively scaled image.

The overscan was just my 1080p screen. Didn't have that problem on my 4k for some reason.

I don't get the problem with my previous sentence, I just ask to name the platforms (PC, Xone, PS4) which was used to drive his testings.

Ah, didn't understand what you were saying.

PS4/XBO/PC

I'm playing FM7 on X1 and PC. Mostly PC.

GT:S is on my PS4 (obviously, lol).

I've played both on a 1080p screen and a 4k Screen.

I've not played PCars2 yet...so I don't have much input there.

Gestault

The English you're using made it a very good impression of someone accusing him of a platform bias. If English isn't your native language, and you want to know if the Forza impressions are from PC or Xbox One, ask that question rather than a half-sarcastic quip.

Synth

Well, the problem was that you didn't actually ask anything, which is what caused you statement to be read wrong.

Do huh?

Thank you. Would you mind telling us which platform you're playing Forza on? my friend.

Forza 7 seems to use DOF or something during races too. The way fog/smoke/haze fades into the distance creates a real...Idk....depth, I guess is the right word.

Could be Rayleigh scattering and atmosphere simulation. Playground worked on this stuff for Horizon 3 and it's likely it came over to Forza 7 just as the dynamic skies did.

after looking at all the media of the last several pages, for me its still

gt>>>forza>>>>>>>>>>>>>pcars for the 60 fps racers even tho pcars is only 60 on a pro or pc

Do huh?
Is there much difference between the XBO and PC version of FM7? If so, do you feel FM7 still looks better in-game than GTS in-game?

John Wick

Do huh?

But what are you comparing??? PC version or Xbox One version? It's easy saying Forza 7 is better when using the PC version with a £500+ graphics card.

Wow, lighting wise, the gap is quite obvious ! You can mistake GTS ingame shots with reality, not the case with F7.

I looked at this comparison on my 27" monitor and the Forza shots looked almost like a generation ahead. I just viewed on my phone (lg g6) and the smaller screen size makes the GT shots seem as nice if not nicer. You really miss alot of detail if you are viewing on a small mobile screen.

Also on the forza shot, its about to rain so clouds coming in overhead make everything darker on that section of the track.

Synth

But what are you comparing??? PC version or Xbox One version? It's easy saying Forza 7 is better when using the PC version with a £500+ graphics card.

To be honest, I don't think it makes a huge difference to the conversation, as the discussion is between games, and isn't (or at least it shouldn't be) about the consoles or PC running them. A lot of the pics people are posting for Gran Turismo Sport come from a PS4 Pro, and these have been getting thrown against shots of Forza Motorsport 7 taken from a stock Xbox One.

Plus, there's not actually a lot that the PC version has to gain over the impending Xbox One X version, which would be the most natural comparison against GTS on a PS4 Pro anyhow.

Gestault

I've played on both high-end PC and XB1, and aside from things you'd expect like aliasing and some sub-pixel crawl on complex surfaces (and some distant LoD elements), they're effectively the same. DF did an in-depth on the demo comparing standard XB1 to 1X to high-end PC, if you're curious.

I had expected less from the standard XB1.

Head.spawn

Ehhhh... sometimes.

GwVM8RO.jpg

KZ4khjp.jpg

i5uLBTN.jpg

There's quite a few graphical glitches I'm seeing from time to time I don't see mentioned here.

shandy706

I'm using a PC/PS4/Xbox One.

The Xbox One in race on track on average still looks better in motion on a 4k screen than GT:S. Sport's textures/LOD get really rough sometimes. FM7's use of some kind of DOF or "atmosphere" seems to help the IQ/look of the game during actual races quite a bit. It makes a lot of distant objects...blend...I guess is the best way to say it.

The PC version is another step up.

Until one sees both in motion at 4k I guess it's hard to explain. Small screen-shots, stills, and gifs don't tell the story of a 50"+ 4k screen in the middle of a race. I'm not sure how else I can explain things on here.

There's quite a few graphical glitches I'm seeing from time to time I don't see mentioned here.

Haha, well they can't always be perfect.

GT:S's replays kill the competition though. They're so well done.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

A £500 card can make the game looks like that. Hardware price is irrelevant for the quality the game can have.

I've played on both high-end PC and XB1, and aside from things you'd expect like aliasing and some sub-pixel crawl on complex surfaces (and some distant LoD elements), they're effectively the same. DF did an in-depth on the demo comparing standard XB1 to 1X to high-end PC, if you're curious.

I had expected less from the standard XB1.

Shadows, car models, reflections also are not the same on both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IaZSBNUd9k

Gestault

A £500 card can make the game looks like that. Hardware price is irrelevant for the quality the game can have.

Shadows, car models, reflections also are not the same on both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IaZSBNUd9k

I wouldn't assume this was necessary, but I guess it is: I'm not saying the visual output is literally the same.

If you think the video you added shows a significant difference, I would disagree, but I'd invite others to actually watch it to get the sense of the level of difference each of us is talking about.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I wouldn't assume this was necessary, but I guess it is: I'm not saying the visual output is literally the same.

If you think the video you added shows a significant difference, I would disagree, but I'd invite others to actually watch it to get the sense of the level of difference each of us is talking about.

Shadows not so much, but reflections and polycount on cars are very significant. We can see tons of edges on the Porsche on X1.

Top Bottom