• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Vita screens

Though Inifinity Blade is made by Epic isn't it? Gears 1 looked a lot better than most Unreal Engine 3 games back in the early days of the 360, i'm guesing they would have better understanding on how to use it, maybe?

Is there any other Unreal Engine games on Vita for comparison?

Nope. I'd naturally assume bioshock vita will be U3 based off history.

hmmm... google tells me that batman arkham city lockdown game for ios is also U3 based.

lockdown1.jpg
I do wonder if porting infinity blade 1-2 to vita would require much work.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
]never really been a fan of wacking AI in fighters, so pretty much the only fighting portable game I have is Tekken Advance.

Will check it out whenever it's on sale though... or I probably can find the console versions for cheap if I must.

not really a fan of Arc engine stuff.

Er...SSF4 and Tekken on 3DS have online play. UMvC3, BlazBlue, and MK on Vita have online play. You don't have to play the CPU.

Nisa65

It is good for a portable game. Again, reduced level of detail, but everything is intact and matches go at 60fps. If you want a portable system with graphics truly on the level of a console, I suggest you get an Alienware M11X. :p

It's a hell of a lot easier playing a Vita game on the go than it is to lug around a 360, a TV/monitor, and a stick. If you only play video games at home and in your living room, why the hell would you buy any portable version of a console game?

What "technically superior game of the year edition?" The Vita version of MK has more content than the console versions of MK. The GOTY version you're talking about is MK Komplete and it came out in February. The Vita version has additional play modes and extra costumes. All of the characters being available also means that the four extra characters will always be selectable when you play online, too.

Maybe I'm blinded by the hype Sony created pre-launch but I expected the Vita to compare favourably to the PS3/360 Versions

I live in a shoebox sized apartment in Japan where it's easier to kick back in my bed with a handheld than it is to hunch over a TV on an uncomfortable as hell chair with my arcade stick in order to play what in the opinion of many is a supposedly casual fighting game.

I freely admit that I'm a tad out of touch with regard to what's available in terms of content since launch. I wrongly assumed that there would be a console edition that would offer what's available on the Vita edition, not knowing that there was a "Komplete Edition" already available on PS3/350. I think my money would be better spent on that version than the Vita version to be perfectly honest.

Lyte Edge

I'm guessing this is the difference between 30 and 60FPS for UE3 on Vita, at least for now. Maybe they should have chosen 30FPS so people wouldn't bitch so much. LOL GDGF, if you think they would have this running at 60FPS on 3D on UE3 on a 3DS you're crazy.

Then people would have just bitched about the framerate. :)

Thanks for the impressions, Lyte Edge. I'm a huge fan of this MK, so I may pick it up for Vita.

Sure...the TL;DR version is basically that this is the exact same game as the console versions, with extra content, but a noticeable visual downgrade.

fernoca

Plus this is their first game on Vita (and using Unreal Engine 3..and at 60fps).

Their first UE3 game (MKvsDCU) wasn't that great looking (in most areas) and yet with the experience and more time, they were able to do an even better looking game and with more content for the 2011 game.

Lyte Edge

I'm trying story mode now.

It looks like all the cut scenes are FMV. High quality video and it transitions smoothly into the game play, but it doesn't look real time to me.

OmegaZero

Wait... you mean to say that SF vs Tekken looks about on par with anything on the 3DS, because if so, you need glasses pronto!

51Zzz6VEMzL.jpg

Street-Fighter-IV-3DS-review-screenshot-4.jpg

It's definitely better then SSFIV, but not by much imo.

EDIT: Should probably mention that I'm focusing on character models. The backgrounds in SFxTekken are probably way better, and I'm hoping that MK's backgrounds are at least more animated then most of Capcom's recent portable releases.

impact

Banned
Yo lyte, can you confirm the mastery of all characters trophy is still in? I'd check your trophies myself but I forgot my Vita at the other apartment. And you have like 4 PSN accounts

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
And before anyone says "something".. :p
There' no character damage (or fatalities for that matter) in Story Mode.
It was the same in consoles...So that's why the models don't show damage/torn clothes/etc. in that clip :p

I played the whole story mode on consoles and never realized there wasn't any character damage. Huh.

Thanks for the impressions folks, keep em' comin!

Raytow

It's definitely better then SSFIV, but not by much imo.

EDIT: Should probably mention that I'm focusing on character models. The backgrounds in SFxTekken are probably way better, and I'm hoping that MK's backgrounds are at least more animated then most of Capcom's recent portable releases.

Oh sure disregard resolution as well, shaders, aliasing and other effects.

Lyte Edge

Here's some screenshots, resized to match the Vita's screen. It's hard to take good screenshots without a clean pause feature in a fighting game, but I tried to focus on the lack of detail so people can get an idea of what was scaled down.

GJwJT.jpg
WYOyD.jpg

l18lx.jpg
BVhuB.jpg

rRxzB.jpg
hKpLS.jpg

UJAVA.jpg
OWnvE.jpg

ywrqT.jpg
U5lGr.jpg

Lyte Edge

Even in those small screens I can still tell that it is quite big of a downgrade. A shame really.

The thing to keep in mind, however, is that all the animation (including clothing physics) is intact. It plays very smoothly.

Yo lyte, can you confirm the mastery of all characters trophy is still in? I'd check your trophies myself but I forgot my Vita at the other apartment. And you have like 4 PSN accounts

LOL, my account for fighting games/Vita account is lyteedge2. It's all I really use anymore.

"My Kung Fu Is Stronger - Gain Mastery Of All Fighters" is showing in the trophy list.

Lyte Edge

I'd probably be trashing the game's visuals too -if it didn't look good in motion- but animation quality and framerate should be equally as important here.

Shinobido 2 is another Vita game that doesn't exactly have the greatest of graphics. Didn't stop me from having a lot of fun playing it.

Can you take more pictures of Kratos, Lyte Edge? Not resized if possible.

PS1 Kratos as requested!

o5J6E.jpg

FOQdv.jpg

31sdN.jpg

lVHBU.jpg

rOagc.jpg

ASfSb.jpg

QWmvD.jpg

xTZwd.jpg

mo3nP.jpg

People literally expect all Vita games to look PS3 quality visuals on the go are just kidding themselves

The level of detail is pretty lacking when you compare the game to UMvC3 and even to SSF4 on 3DS, although the latter obviously has nothing going on in the backgrounds. MK has more stuff going on its backgrounds than UMvC3 does.

Lyte Edge

Wasn't asking for screenshots of the psp version. Was wondering how they look in motion with the filters or w/e on a vita.

They look sharper and you can improve the colors with the filtering options. Tekken 6 is lacking a large number of stages when you play multi and has framerate problems, IIRC, and Soul Calibur Broken Destiny does not have an arcade mode. Just quick battle.

Spiegel

PS1 Kratos as requested!

The level of detail is pretty lacking when you compare the game to UMvC3 and even to SSF4 on 3DS, although the latter obviously has nothing going on in the backgrounds. MK has more stuff going on its backgrounds than UMvC3 does.

Thanks.

If you told me this was an upscaled psp game with some hi-res texture pack (and not even that hi-res) I would believe you.

antonz

I am guessing early on games are gonna suffer from Card size. It cost alot to jump to the larger cards when buying them from Sony or Nintendo. Tekken suffered with overall stages etc due to the small card and the fact half the card is probably taken up by the packed in movie.

Developers may feel pressured to stick with a smaller card size if costs are too out of line with projected sales and I am guessing publishers are gonna be extra cautious with Vita til proven otherwise

Raonak

Banned
probably looks good on vita, just like uncharted, and most other vita games- their screens look bad on PC due to pixel density. but when viewed on vita they look good.

regardess, it's quite odd that this is low res. uncharted made sense, due to the scale. but this is probably less powerful than MvC3. which was full resolution and 60fps. with up to 6 character models on stage. :/

Lyte Edge

Thanks.

If you told me this was an upscaled psp game with some hi-res texture pack (and not even that hi-res) I would believe you.

Yup, but I can't stress enough that the framerate and animation is what keeps the game from looking like total shit in motion. The backgrounds, too- on the subway stage, for example, trains still go by on both sides of the platform with paper blowing behind them and the lighting reflecting on the stages/characters. It looks good and I can't think of another fighting game on a portable that has that level of background detail intact.

It seems like too many people are blowing this game off because of how it looks in still screen captures. If you're all about graphics, it's understandable, but this game isn't shit. Shit is something like Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus with its glitches and asstastic framerate.

The only reason I'd get rid of this game and not recommend it is if the online turns out to be awful.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Is there a tech reason why devs don't always render their UI at 960x544 but keep the game engine at a lower resolution?

EA's MMA, while looking like complete total garbage, at least had the UI at the proper res.

CFhD6.jpg

Sylver

Banned
It really looks terrible but I remember those uncharted screenshots and the game didn't looked like them. I understand why Capcom don't let you to take screenshots from Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. I think my game will arrive this thursday :S.

vg260

Yup, but I can't stress enough that the framerate and animation is what keeps the game from looking like total shit in motion. The backgrounds, too- on the subway stage, for example, trains still go by on both sides of the platform with paper blowing behind them and the lighting reflecting on the stages/characters. It looks good and I can't think of another fighting game on a portable that has that level of background detail intact.

It seems like too many people are blowing this game off because of how it looks in still screen captures. If you're all about graphics, it's understandable, but this game isn't shit. Shit is something like Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus with its glitches at asstastic framerate.

I think I'd take a background hit rather than a model hit. But maybe that wouldn't have made a difference in this case.

I'm not going to cry and whine about the visuals if I can play the game at a steady 60 frames and have essentially the exact same gameplay experience I could with the console versions. I love my quality visuals and I know the Vita can do better, but I'm getting the entire Mortal Kombat game on the Vita at an uncompromising frame-rate.

I simply think that this all the hoopla over the visuals is because Netherrealm probably didn't have much in terms of time to make the game and basically ported over the PS3 version and then scaled everything down from that. I think if more time was spent on it, they could make it look much, much better.

I'm still buying it day one and I will enjoy it when I'm laying in my bed not giving a fuck about the outside world on a random Saturday morning.

Can't wait.

Top Bottom