• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
"fun" fact: Red Bull Racing is currently the team with the least amount of completed race laps.

Laps per team:
1. Force India- 956
2. Mercedes- 946
3. Ferrari- 903
4. Sauber- 829
5. Haas F1- 809
6. Toro Rosso- 749
7. Williams- 745
8. Renault- 738
9. McLaren- 716
10. Red Bull- 685

Wow. Ties into exactly what I said a page ago.

-Absolute biggest losers over the last few weeks, IMO, are Red Bull. Max was completely killing it this whole weekend and was doing well during the race only to DNF. So that is a brake failure in Bahrain, engine problem in Canada, and now yesterday's issue, not even counting the crash in Spain. I'd argue he would have very easily taken 1st yesterday considering all what happened and could have definitely hit 2nd in Canada, even with that 1/2 finish over those two races, that's an additional 43 points to RBs bottom line bringing them to 180 and possibly higher with even a 1 thru 6 finish for him in Bahrain. RB would be a serious threat in the constructors considering the recent 4/7 finishes for both Ferrari and MB, then the results of this race, and the Kimi DNF yesterday. They need to figure out what is going on with that car, and fast.

Red Bull should be threatening in the constructors.

dl77

Then shouldn't Hamilton have done it a lap earlier when he would have had the whole straight?

There could have been a number of reasons why it happened on the last lap:

• Vettel didn't push as hard thinking that there was no chance to overtake.
  • They may only be allowed to use maximum engine power for very short periods of time.
  • Hamilton got closer on the last lap.
  • Vettel came out of the final corner badly.
I mean there are various circumstances that can occur in a lap that can make a huge difference. I don't work for Mercedes but given the huge amount of manpower and analysis they have in the strategy team I'm sure there must have been a valid reason why he only caught up at the finish line.

DBT85

In a bid to improve reliability, Mclaren are swapping to an additive block manufacturing technique.
https://twitter.com/mclarenauto/status/879696659265069056
DDVPFJJWsAASOO1.jpg

Yagami_Sama

But McLaren problem is not the engine, is the gear box. Gear Box causes too much vibration and the engine can't handle too much vibration. Just wait, Sauber Honda will be a beast and if Williams Honda happens, they will dominate the season and force Mercedes to quit.

/s

Anyway, I think that things between Hamilton and Vettel will be salty from now on.

But McLaren problem is not the engine, is the gear box. Gear Box causes too much vibration and the engine can't handle too much vibration. Just wait, Sauber Honda will be a beast and if Williams Honda happens, they will dominate the season and force Mercedes to quit.

The gearbox is only vibrating because Vandoorne is bouncing up and down in his seat, he's the real problem, replace him immediately, etc.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The gearbox is only vibrating because Vandoorne is bouncing up and down in his seat, he's the real problem, replace him immediately, etc.

I worked at a non-F1 race team for a while a couple of years ago. I still go on their Christmas karting events, which some of them take very seriously.

One of the techniques some of the better drivers use is to bounce in the seat at the start to gain more traction.

Scottify

This whole VET/HAM thing has got me wondering; who, if any, are the real likable drivers left in F1? Have there ever been truly likable drivers? I find neither VET nor HAM very likable regardless of this particular situation.

For me, I like RIC a lot, he seems genuine and enjoys what he does. MAS maybe too but he's a bit bland for me. What say you?

Zaru

This whole VET/HAM thing has got me wondering; who, if any, are the real likable drivers left in F1? Have there ever been truly likable drivers? I find neither VET nor HAM very likable regardless of this particular situation.

For me, I like RIC a lot, he seems genuine and enjoys what he does. MAS maybe too but he's a bit bland for me. What say you?

The thing is that most drivers outside of a top team don't get much spotlight shone on their personality.

Lima

Danny of course. I mean how can you not like the guy? You can have the shittiest day but once you see that smile everything is okay.

Before that it was Webber. Both from Australia. Coincidence? I think not.

Danny of course. I mean how can you not like the guy? You can have the shittiest day but once you see that smile everything is okay.

You do realize that Danny isn't infallible when it comes to throwing toys out of a pram right? They ALL do it.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I don't find many of the F1 drivers particularly interesting personality-wise in comparison to those in other series. Formula 1 seems to want to maintain an image of professionalism and classiness but that often just translates to blandness.

The only time we've really seen it was Monaco 2016 right? And who can blame him for being unhappy that day...
There's definitely this and I think it was when he kept complaining about the team giving Verstappen better treatment or something. I know Ricciardo said some stuff for a bit after Verstappen won Spain. My specifics aren't 100% but I know he said some stuff.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
"fun" fact: Red Bull Racing is currently the team with the least amount of completed race laps.

Laps per team:
1. Force India- 956
2. Mercedes- 946
3. Ferrari- 903
4. Sauber- 829
5. Haas F1- 809
6. Toro Rosso- 749
7. Williams- 745
8. Renault- 738
9. McLaren- 716
10. Red Bull- 685

Motorsport has now picked up on it as well:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-mileage-mclaren-f1-2017-924077/

The scale of Red Bull’s problems has been highlighted by the fact that Verstappen’s latest stoppage means he is the full-time driver who has completed the fewest race laps all season – just 277 in total. Only temporary stand-ins Antonio Giovinazzi and Jenson Button are behind him.

In team terms, Red Bull has now dropped behind McLaren – which has been beset by Honda reliability problems but managed to get both Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne home in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Over the first eight races of the year, Red Bull has managed to complete just 685 race laps – which is 31 fewer than McLaren has done. In comparison, Force India (956 laps) and Mercedes (946) are the two teams that have completed the most laps.

Although not all of Red Bull’s retirements were down to car or engine failures - Verstappen exited at Turn 1 in Spain after a clash with Kimi Raikkonen - it is clear that recent engine issues have left the team a bit frustrated.

f1-azerbaijan-gp-2017-race-mileage-by-teams-laps.jpg

Max has even less laps than Stroll and Vandoorne. Even less than Alonso who has memes of him all over the place. That is incredible to me.

Grug

Isn't this a bit subjective since this hinges on Verstappen not finishing his damn races?

How is a factual tally of points in any way "subjective"? Any why is Verstappen of particular relevance, and not all the performances and scenarios involving other drivers that have led to the current standings. Kimi has had some bad luck too, as have others. That's racing.

How is a factual tally of points in any way "subjective"? Any why is Verstappen of particular relevance, and not all the performances and scenarios involving other drivers that have led to the current standings. Kimi has had some bad luck too, as have others. That's racing.
Pretty much I'm just asking if Ricciardo would've scored 70 points if Verstappen's car actually worked. I could've asked the very same question if Hamilton's head rest worked by I didn't.

Grug

Pretty much I'm just asking if Ricciardo would've scored 70 points if Verstappen's car actually worked. I could've asked the very same question if Hamilton's head rest worked by I didn't.

It's just an odd way to look at racing where, since the very beginning, it's been about what order you finish the race in. If you dont finish, you are irrelevant.

You could come up with "what ifs" for every race, and every season.

And to call the points standings "subjective" is bizarre.

It's like saying "the result of the superbowl is subjective because it hinged on our quarterback not throwing that interception".

Fox Mulder

He's doing his job. The redbull is underpowered, but has at least often been the first to scoop up wins or podiums from Ferrari and Mercedes stumbles.

It's just an odd way to look at racing where, since the very beginning, it's been about what order you finish the race in. If you dont finish, you are irrelevant.

You could come up with "what ifs" for every race, and every season.

And to call the points standings "subjective" is bizarre.

It's like saying "the result of the superbowl is subjective because it hinged on our quarterback not throwing that interception".
F1 is IF spelled backwards yes I know. I guess I'm just asking a question that isn't going to be answered.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

zeshakag

I gained an appreciation for F1 recently.

I bought Project Cars GOTY edition from the steam sale.

It seems the consensus among the more knowledgeable community is the actual driving model of Project Cars is sim-Arcady. Anyway, this my first racing game since playing F1 on Saturn with my dad growing up.

I turned off all assists and loaded up a Renault 3.5. Couldn't even accelerate out of the auto start without spinning out. Slowly learned how to feather the throttle instead of stomping on it. I'm used to my slow Chevy Cruze, and arcade games. Tons of slipping, skipping and under steering. But slowly I began to learn how to stay on the track. I chose the short Nurburgring circuit and kept practicing on it.

Over the weekend I got a thrustmaster TX to get a better feel of wheel slip and to better control acceleration. I moved up to Formula A (PCars non-licensed version of F1). Wow. Slowly learned how to keep things under control after a couple hours of constant restarts.

I decided I wanted to really learn a track so I chose Monaco (looked cool on Archer). Slowly learned the track and during work studied this video of someone going through the track and pointing out cornering speeds and gears, landmarks and where to hit and come out of the corners. After hours of practicing just the first half, I'm starting to really nail the first 6 turns of Monaco, and I'm just thinking to myself "I feel like I'm being too aggressive on these corners, it's almost suicidal", especially when attacking the first turn, cutting across the bumper and shooting to the opposite left wall. I always slip there but I've learned to manage.

So finally, on to the point of this post. I went and watched real life F1 onboards at Monaco, and I'm just in fucking awe. F1 racers are madmen. I watched Kimi's 2017 pole lap and he slips on the first corner too, but he doesn't give a fuck, he just recovers and fucking SCREAMS through the track.

TL;DR discovered a love for F1. Might actually book a trip to catch a race next year. Gonna keep playing and get better too.

Razgreez

So finally, on to the point of this post. I went and watched real life F1 onboards at Monaco, and I'm just in fucking awe. F1 racers are madmen. I watched Kimi's 2017 pole lap and he slips on the first corner too, but he doesn't give a fuck, he just recovers and fucking SCREAMS through the track.

TL;DR discovered a love for F1. Might actually book a trip to catch a race next year. Gonna keep playing and get better too.

This is something that happens in any high risk or high performance activity. Sky have been playing segments during the race weekends in which Hamilton is interviewed by Hill and, I paraphrase, Hamilton referred to instances where you suddenly realise during a race or lap "Hey what I'm doing here is crazy. I'm on the limit. Am I actually in control?" It's as though you lose yourself for a moment and then you have to just push that aside and take control again.

I've experience that while racing and cliff diving where I will have dived off a 15m jump 20 times before but then suddenly look down and the distance seems much further than before, my knees go weak and I question the sanity of my actions. Have to just push it aside, say funk-it and dive down anyway knowing the difference between a broken back, leg, arm, neck etc. and a "fun" splash may feel like meters to me but in reality, is mere millimeters. Helps one appreciate exactly what these drivers are accomplishing

M52B28

Banned
I learned that feeling while on a grassroots track in Texas in my friend's crazy modded Miata. I was setting crazy lap times in his division and I wasn't exactly aware of how fast I was going because my mind started to ignore the times and just push.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Ric is too happy. It just doesn't feel natural at all to me, all made up "hey I am happy".

DieH@rd

Banned
Next season of Premier League will be accessible online in the US for $50 [130 games + other stuff].

When is the realistic timing for arrival of similar F1 online subscription? Few years?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I gained an appreciation for F1 recently.

I bought Project Cars GOTY edition from the steam sale.

It seems the consensus among the more knowledgeable community is the actual driving model of Project Cars is sim-Arcady. Anyway, this my first racing game since playing F1 on Saturn with my dad growing up.

I turned off all assists and loaded up a Renault 3.5. Couldn't even accelerate out of the auto start without spinning out. Slowly learned how to feather the throttle instead of stomping on it. I'm used to my slow Chevy Cruze, and arcade games. Tons of slipping, skipping and under steering. But slowly I began to learn how to stay on the track. I chose the short Nurburgring circuit and kept practicing on it.

Over the weekend I got a thrustmaster TX to get a better feel of wheel slip and to better control acceleration. I moved up to Formula A (PCars non-licensed version of F1). Wow. Slowly learned how to keep things under control after a couple hours of constant restarts.

I decided I wanted to really learn a track so I chose Monaco (looked cool on Archer). Slowly learned the track and during work studied this video of someone going through the track and pointing out cornering speeds and gears, landmarks and where to hit and come out of the corners. After hours of practicing just the first half, I'm starting to really nail the first 6 turns of Monaco, and I'm just thinking to myself "I feel like I'm being too aggressive on these corners, it's almost suicidal", especially when attacking the first turn, cutting across the bumper and shooting to the opposite left wall. I always slip there but I've learned to manage.

If you think F1 drivers are crazy with their near indestructible cockpits and typically 100 m safe zones I am interested in your reaction after watching your first onboard WRC race.

Zeknurn

Next season of Premier League will be accessible online in the US for $50 [130 games + other stuff].

When is the realistic timing for arrival of similar F1 online subscription? Few years?

A global service? Probably 5 or so years when the current cycle of TV deals have been cycled through.

Per country? Check when the deal with TV broadcaster in your country is up for renewal.

If you think F1 drivers are crazy with their near indestructible cockpits and typically 100 m safe zones I am interested in your reaction after watching your first onboard WRC race.

Indeed. Still amazes me to this day that something like it is allowed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That will be interesting when he won't even admit to doing anything.

I suspect this won't come to anything. Just like during the race, they'll pussy out for fear of interfering with the show.

taking him to court is part of the show. If there was a public reaction to his behaviour then this is also good business

And why does he need to admit to anything? He collided with Hamilton. Either he deliberately drove into him, or he let go of the wheel in anger, lost control of his car and drove into him. Either way is clearly dangerous driving. And his post-race interviews strongly suggest he did it deliberately and/or had absolutely no regrets (would have been a good place to try and diffuse the situation)

Aiii

So not worth it
Ric is awesome. Wish he could put a better fight against Max. I still hope RBR can up their game and make this a 3 teams fight.

Despite his results, he has really been on the back foot this year compared to Max, I hope he turns that around soon, because if Max wasn't retiring all the time he'd be pretty much doing to RIC what RIC did to Vettel in 2014 and that would be a crying shame. We need him legitimately in the WDC mix in the future and not end up a Kimi or Button, having to luck into a championship.

hamchan

Isn't this a bit subjective since this hinges on Verstappen not finishing his damn races?

Really weird to think about a list of earned points as "subjective". Plus Ricciardo is just doing his job and getting points for the team. Don't blame him for Verstappen's misfortunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom