• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

WoolyNinja

Here's a few pics I snapped earlier of my new guitar. I used my wife's fancy ass camera that I have no clue how to use, probably should've just used my cell.

Ibanez RG1070PBZ Cerulean Blue Burst

Ooooh, great looking guitar! I had my eye on that for a while but decided I didn't want a tremelo so went with a similar priced fixed bridge white RG652FX Prestige which I love.

How's the RG1070PBZ play?

What's my best bet for selling a guitar? Craigslist? eBay? I'd guess probably not a Guitar Center. I've got a 7-String Schecter I've been meaning to get rid of but the thought of having it to ship it on eBay is giving me pause.

As the other poster said Reverb.com is a good option. Their seller fees are much lower than eBay and reverb attracts serious gear heads. But yeah, you would have to send the guitar. Of course, Craigslist would be the easiest option but the process can be slow, especially if you are aiming for max $$. People want deals on craigslist, not "fair" prices.

As for Guitar Center. They will offer you 60% of what the guitar sells on eBay (they are very upfront about this). However, if you trade in the guitar for new gear, they will take 10% off the new gear. Sometimes they will do a special at 15% off for new gear. The best time to go is during one of their giant sales weekends, like Labor Day, when things are 30-40% off in store. During that time, you could almost make it out even and make up for that 40% loss. But yeah, for cash only you will get screwed straight up.

As the other poster said Reverb.com is a good option. Their seller fees are much lower than eBay and reverb attracts serious gear heads. But yeah, you would have to send the guitar. Of course, Craigslist would be the easiest option but the process can be slow, especially if you are aiming for max $$. People want deals on craigslist, not "fair" prices.

As for Guitar Center. They will offer you 60% of what the guitar sells on eBay (they are very upfront about this). However, if you trade in the guitar for new gear, they will take 10% off the new gear. Sometimes they will do a special at 15% off for new gear. The best time to go is during one of their giant sales weekends, like Labor Day, when things are 30-40% off in store. During that time, you could almost make it out even and make up for that 40% loss. But yeah, for cash only you will get screwed straight up.

Yeah, I traded in my ibanez 7 string to guitar center to buy my gibson explorer. I waited until a sale when it was marked down to $999 from 1299, then I got 10% off, plus got $150 for the ibanez, which I only paid $150 for. So I paid $820 after tax on something that was originally $1299

Basically, guitar center can be worth it, but rarely. If you just want money, I'd say sell it on your own and don't trade it in to a store. A craigslist lowballer will still pay more than guitar center.

I submitted to temptation. I caved in to desire. Just ordered an RG1070PBZ in Charcoal Black. Should be coming Tuesday.
RG1070PBZ_CKB_1P_01.png
It'll be my second RG after my RGIX27FEQM. Think I'm growing to like them more now.

I submitted to temptation. I caved in to desire. Just ordered an RG1070PBZ in Charcoal Black. Should be coming Tuesday.

It'll be my second RG after my RGIX27FEQM. Think I'm growing to like them more now.

Hot damn that's a nice axe! At that price point I would've gone Made in Japan Prestige, but Premiums are nice.
Post pics when it comes in!

Hot damn that's a nice axe! At that price point I would've gone Made in Japan Prestige, but Premiums are nice.
Post pics when it comes in!
It's £1099 in the UK and the price reflects the fact it's a 2017 guitar that literally just came into the country this week. Most Prestige guitars are £1300 or more like the Ibanez S5521-BRB Prestige HH Gibraltar II Blaze Red Burst
But as you can see that still has Ibanez pick ups where-as the RG1070PBZ has Di Marzio's. There are cheaper older models but none as striking as this one. Really aesthetics almost tops everything for me, except playability. But I've played a few RG's before and they're good so it was a no brainer.

It's £1099 in the UK and the price reflects the fact it's a 2017 guitar that literally just came into the country this week. Most Prestige guitars are £1300 or more like the Ibanez S5521-BRB Prestige HH Gibraltar II Blaze Red Burst But as you can see that still has Ibanez pick ups where-as the RG1070PBZ has Di Marzio's. There are cheaper older models but none as striking as this one. Really aesthetics almost tops everything for me, except playability. But I've played a few RG's before and they're good so it was a no brainer.

The premium's are still made in Indonesia right? My $400 ibanez RG was made there and it was still pretty good. I imagine the premium line is probably somewhat close in quality to the Japan made guitars.

The premium's are still made in Indonesia right? My $400 ibanez RG was made there and it was still pretty good. I imagine the premium line is probably somewhat close in quality to the Japan made guitars.
I think so. But yeah, they're good quality. I have a JS24p which is made in Indonesia and it's very good. I also have a Jem 505 which is made in Japan and is of a similar quality. Obviously the very best are Japan made but Indonesia make some really good guitars.

Yeah the Premiums are made in Indonesia which is Ibanez's #2 factory, but Ibanez has really been pushing Indonesia as a premiere crafter, thus the Premium line. In fact they seem to be reducing the Prestige line altogether and focusing on increasing productions on the Premium line.

Ibanez also just announced new colors for the JEM Jr. line (made in Indonesia) to add to the white one. These are gonna sell like hotcakes:

Some pics of my new RG1070PBZ in Charcoal Black -

A few things. It's fairly light. The wood is gorgeous, particularly on the fingerboard. The neck is very thin and pretty wide (I think I need to lower string height - in fact the strings need adjusting throughout). The neck heel could have done with being a tad thinner though there is some relief. The jack input is very solid. No chance of the cable coming out though I would have preferred an angled jack input like the one on the JS24p. The tremolo is typical Ibanez but I would have preferred a push in not a screw in as they always get loose.
The 5 way switch is firm and the Di Marzio pups (in the few minutes I played) offer a wide range of tones. The humbuckers are pretty fat whilst the centre pup is nice and twangy which also gives the 2nd and 4th positions a nice bright sound. I would have preferred the Di Marzio writing on the pups to be more visible rather than in relief.

So I've only just got it and this is my early opinion. Though I am still a Fender fan at heart (and super strats in general - and I guess the RG is almost like the original Super Strat) I like these a lot, particularly now I've found one with a tasty look (too many RG's are a bit too garish for me). Yeah. I'm going to have fun with this (once it's set up nice).

Beautiful man! The woodgrain on the fingerboard is incredible!! Yeah I'm not to keen on the look of the Edge 3 tremolo, but it's a solid trem. Apparently Ibanez can no longer create trems under the Floyd Rose license in western territories since last year so they're slightly different in specs but basically the same. I think the side/angled jack input is only on the S-series (which includes the Satch JS guitar). All RGs are regular input on the side. I used to have an RG450DX but it really wasn't my style so I sold it, but I really dig this more classy look you got there. If I were to get back into RGs I would definitely look into something like that.

So taking a closer look and the guitar needs to be completely re-strung as the strings aren't tightened around the tuning pegs at all. Literally through and cut with what looks like barely a turn. No surprise the tuning was awful. I realised when the high e popped out whilst tuning!. Whoever signs these off as ok needs to pay closer attention. It's also a shame that stringing and tuning guitars is a paid for service in most shops. Shame they don't do it on all guitar sales or at least those of a certain value. Oh well.

Er... pardon my ignorance, but why do you need more than a minimum of wraps on the tuning peg if you have a locking nut?
Well, the guitar was hideously out of tune and the fine tuners on a floyd rose type guitar aren't really designed for major tuning, such as tuning the D string from C up-to D. And also in this case the high E string literally came out of the peg as I was tuning it. There was NO wire wrapped around the pegs at all. Okay if the guitar was in tune and held by the locking nut. But it wasn't and during tuning *ping* went the E string.
The locking nut is there to keep the strings in tune once the guitar has been correctly tuned and to make fine adjustments where needed.
This explains better - https://floydrose.com/blogs/tech-talk/string-tuning-instructions

Well, the guitar was hideously out of tune and the fine tuners on a floyd rose type guitar aren't really designed for major tuning, such as tuning the D string from C up-to D. And also in this case the high E string literally came out of the peg as I was tuning it. There was NO wire wrapped around the pegs at all. Okay if the guitar was in tune and held by the locking nut. But it wasn't and during tuning *ping* went the E string.
The locking nut is there to keep the strings in tune once the guitar has been correctly tuned and to make fine adjustments where needed.
This explains better - https://floydrose.com/blogs/tech-talk/string-tuning-instructions

Where did you buy the guitar from? Was it direct from Ibanez?

Where did you buy the guitar from? Was it direct from Ibanez?
Online from a British retailer called GAK (Guitar, Amps and Keyboards who I don't normally order from but where the first out of the 5 I usually peruse that had it in stock). Like I said guitar set ups are usually paid for services. Sometimes a retailer may offer a guitar set up for, say £25. Usually they don't even mention the service.
Probably the first time in a long time where the guitar I ordered needed a dramatic set up adjustment. They're usually fine. A bit out of tune but playable. I am surprised it left the Indonesian factory like that. My JS24p is Indonesian made and that was fine.

Online from a British retailer called GAK (Guitar, Amps and Keyboards who I don't normally order from but where the first out of the 5 I usually peruse that had it in stock). Like I said guitar set ups are usually paid for services. Sometimes a retailer may offer a guitar set up for, say £25. Usually they don't even mention the service.
Probably the first time in a long time where the guitar I ordered needed a dramatic set up adjustment. They're usually fine. A bit out of tune but playable. I am surprised it left the Indonesian factory like that. My JS24p is Indonesian made and that was fine.

Doesn't the RG1070 have locking tuners though? With locking tuners you shouldn't have any wrap around the pegs. Just string through and lock.

So, here's something funny. This is a used Digi 003 that I bought from guitar center. I returned it because the right plastic piece is broken at the top. I should have taken a picture, because it is pretty bent and instantly noticeable. The tab that the screw goes in is physically broken, so there's no fixing it, it will stay forever popped up. There is also a good scratch on the back around that area, probably related, and a chunk of plastic missing from the front left.

I returned it yesterday, and it is right back up for sale today with the original picture, so they didn't take new photos, and no mention of the physical damage. Guitar Center is funny.

Revoh

Today marks my 6 month guitar anniversary, it's been one hell of a ride but lately I'm feeling I'm not progressing that much, I've been studying theory, and practicing chord changes, I'm also learning the minor pentatonic scale.

About songs, I'm still tackling Back in Black and Stairway to Heaven, and also learning Wish you were here by PF. I can't play whole songs yet but I didn't really planned for that yet. I want to be technically proficient first but I'm starting to notice it's like a catch 22 thing where you need technique to play songs and you need songs to discover those techniques, I discovered I need to focus on legato, which I barely practiced, if I want to play the solo of Stairway at full speed.

Anything you guys would recommended me? What is something I should be familiar with by now?

Today marks my 6 month guitar anniversary, it's been one hell of a ride but lately I'm feeling I'm not progressing that much, I've been studying theory, and practicing chord changes, I'm also learning the minor pentatonic scale.

About songs, I'm still tackling Back in Black and Stairway to Heaven, and also learning Wish you were here by PF. I can't play whole songs yet but I didn't really planned for that yet. I want to be technically proficient first but I'm starting to notice it's like a catch 22 thing where you need technique to play songs and you need songs to discover those techniques, I discovered I need to focus on legato, which I barely practiced, if I want to play the solo of Stairway at full speed.

Anything you guys would recommended me? What is something I should be familiar with by now?

what are some songs you can comfortably play now?

those songs aren't beginner songs, even if back in black is mostly power chords getting the nuances right demands some experience. go look up 'easy guitar song' lists and try to make your way through several of them start-to-finish. technical proficiency is built on the back of learning songs first and foremost.

Yeah I agree with Red Blaster. Mastering songs is really the best way to get technical proficiency. Plus working on songs is the best way to train your ear. Too many guitarists focus on technique alone which makes them great shredders, but makes them lacking as a rounded musician.

I would learn easier material along with harder material. It will give you a sense of progress, expose you to different progressions, and something to play when warming up, noodling, and playing with others.

NEO0MJ

Don't repeat the same song, or songs that rely on similar techniques/notes too much. You don't want to get caught in a repetition trap, that doesn't help you learn at all.

Scottify

My 2 cents is to also try and learn songs from different genres even if you aren't a fan.

I've never been a fan of rockabilly, old country or early rock n' roll, but I had to learn some songs for a jam group I am in and learning those different styles of playing really has helped me progress.

Nipo

Guitar Gaf i'm looking to pick up a first guitar to learn on and had two conflicting thoughts in mind.

1. I was debating getting the Martin Backpacker because it is small enough to bring hiking/camping with me, not terribly expensive, and the smaller size should make it less loud when practicing at night.

2. I was also looking at the Yamaha silent because it would make practicing easier in my apartment and is less likely to drive partner/neighbors crazy.

Anyone have any experience with either? Is my thinking off track?

Guitar Gaf i'm looking to pick up a first guitar to learn on and had two conflicting thoughts in mind.

1. I was debating getting the Martin Backpacker because it is small enough to bring hiking/camping with me, not terribly expensive, and the smaller size should make it less loud when practicing at night.

2. I was also looking at the Yamaha silent because it would make practicing easier in my apartment and is less likely to drive partner/neighbors crazy.

Anyone have any experience with either? Is my thinking off track?

I wouldn't go with either of those, get a small body acoustic, easy to transport and volume isn't going to bother your neighbours.

[first guitar:] [Martin Backpacker] or [Yamaha silent]

I don't think either is a great first guitar. The Martin Backpacker does not sound great due to the concession to its size and weight. How much do you hike? Unless it's multiple times a month you can probably keep your hobbies separate until the guitar becomes an addiction you can't escape.

The Silent Guitars sound like middling acoustic-electric guitars— I don't think that's from any design compromises but is just because acoustic-electrics sound bad. Unless you also get an amplifier you lose the ability to play with others.

For the cost of a silent guitar you can get a perfectly decent traditional acoustic guitar. Is your apartment poorly sound proofed or will you only be able to play overnight?

Nipo

I wouldn't go with either of those, get a small body acoustic, easy to transport and volume isn't going to bother your neighbours.

Thanks for the quick response! How small is ok before it starts being too small? is something like the Taylor BT2 Baby Taylor Acoustic Guitar, ok?

I don't think either is a great first guitar. The Martin Backpacker does not sound great due to the concession to its size and weight. How much do you hike? Unless it's multiple times a month you can probably keep your hobbies separate until the guitar becomes an addiction you can't escape.

The Silent Guitars sound like middling acoustic-electric guitars— I don't think that's from any design compromises but is just because acoustic-electrics sound bad. Unless you also get an amplifier you lose the ability to play with others.

For the cost of a silent guitar you can get a perfectly decent traditional acoustic guitar. Is your apartment poorly sound proofed or will you only be able to play overnight?

I go backpacking 2-3 times a month for at least the weekend and generally go for a 3 week trip once a year. There is a lot of downtime since i'm usually at camp by 2-3 pm then just reading/relaxing until 8-9pm when i get ready for bed. I thought it might be a nice time to practice.

I considered the silent because i know the time i'd end up practicing is around 6am when i'm up but no one else in my house is. I liked the idea of being able to plug in headphone and practice without disturbing anyone. The house isn't terribly soundproofed though so i could probably get away with a standard acoustic and playing quietly if that is definitely a superior choice.

Pricewise I'd like to keep it under $500 and am not opposed to looking for something used.

I thought it might be a nice time to practice.

Probably! I meant to include in my reply that "any guitar is better than no guitar", and your own considerations should outstrip my taste. I have a small parlour guitar I've taken camping, but that's always been drive-to-tenting-site camping.

The backpacker is almost certainly going to be quiet enough.

Revoh

Thanks for the help guys, I'll look for some easy beginner songs to learn alongside the 3 I'm already working on, my boss also lend me his acoustic guitar today so everything is lining up perfectly, lol

Nipo, I wouldn't get a Martin Backpacker as a first guitar. I think it would be very awkward to learn on. Baby Taylors are very nice and fun to play (try Nashville tuning), but being nice I wouldn't take them backpacking, just the temperature/barometer changes alone. Buy an old beater acoustic for that. For home use, an unplugged or headphone-amped electric will be quieter than anything but a nylon-stringed acoustic.

In new-gear-to-me news, I picked up Fender Greta 2W tube amp from eBay. I'm running it here through my Super Champ 1x12 cab. The stock speaker is very fuzzy-sounding, which isn't a bad thing, but kind of limiting. I'm going to swap the speaker and tubes to get some clean headroom. My wife gave it her highest praise, calling it "pretty."

6ft59dJ.jpg

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Nipo, I wouldn't get a Martin Backpacker as a first guitar. I think it would be very awkward to learn on. Baby Taylors are very nice and fun to play (try Nashville tuning), but being nice I wouldn't take them backpacking, just the temperature/barometer changes alone. Buy an old beater acoustic for that. For home use, an unplugged or headphone-amped electric will be quieter than anything but a nylon-stringed acoustic.

In new-gear-to-me news, I picked up Fender Greta 2W tube amp from eBay. I'm running it here through my Super Champ 1x12 cab. The stock speaker is very fuzzy-sounding, which isn't a bad thing, but kind of limiting. I'm going to swap the speaker and tubes to get some clean headroom. My wife gave it her highest praise, calling it "pretty."

6ft59dJ.jpg

Those Martin backpacker guitars looks cool as fuck imo, but damn do they sound shitty! Just played one a few days ago. Was pretty disappointed. I want a guitar I can take with me backpacking sometime tho. Would be tight.

I bought a used Taylor 114e last year for about 400 last year and it sounds absolutely amazing. I recently bought a Martin X series acoustic and I like it but I think the Taylor still sounds a bit better. Both lower end Taylors and Martins but those are definitely some good starter Guitars if you can afford to spend 400-600 bucks on one

Yen

Don't repeat the same song, or songs that rely on similar techniques/notes too much. You don't want to get caught in a repetition trap, that doesn't help you learn at all.
I can attest to this. Resuming regular play after a few years of neglecting guitar and with hindsight my playing limitations are clear. Spent my teens playing Pixies and QotSA songs, so power chords and fairly easy solos is all I had really learnt.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Thanks for the help guys, I'll look for some easy beginner songs to learn alongside the 3 I'm already working on, my boss also lend me his acoustic guitar today so everything is lining up perfectly, lol

If you're looking for a good finger picking song give Dust in the Wind a shot. That song has a lot of fun changes but keeps a solid finger picking pattern pretty much all the way through. When I started to teach myself how to play guitar 5 or so years ago that was one of the first songs I tried to master and practiced daily. I felt like it helped me out big time. Gets you familiar with a decent amount of chords fairly quickly.

Nipo

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to forgo the backpacker and ordered a Yamaha silent guitar that i found on discount. If i really feel the need to play while camping i'll pick up something Fall before our longer trip.

Super excited to start playing now.

So I've decided to buy a strat, but I want to assemble my own, which I though would be fun. I recently ordered a custom warmoth neck, which with everything ended up costing more than I originally intended to spend, as in I've bought whole guitars for less than what I spent on this neck, but oh well. Now I just need to decide on pickups/electronics.

Anyone else ever do this? If so how did it go?

So I've decided to buy a strat, but I want to assemble my own, which I though would be fun. I recently ordered a custom warmoth neck, which with everything ended up costing more than I originally intended to spend, as in I've bought whole guitars for less than what I spent on this neck, but oh well. Now I just need to decide on pickups/electronics.

Anyone else ever do this? If so how did it go?

I built this Flying V from a kit. And yes the costs start to add up big time, but it was a great learning experience. The kit was $150, but the electronics/pickups were garbage so I purchased higher grade electronics/pickups/hardware. Then there's paint, sandpaper, clear coat, etc. I sank maybe $450-$500 total into the guitar when all is said and done, but that doesn't even include tools like soldering iron, fretwork materials, nut file, etc. There were definitely many frustrating moments, especially during painting, clear coating, wet-sanding and buffing stages. It requires LOTS of patience. Anytime I fucked up it was because I tried to rush it, like not letting coats dry properly, etc.

Would I do it again? Probably not. Although there is a certain satisfaction to building your own guitar, ultimately the cost factor just doesn't pan out. These days I much rather buy a beater for $100-$150 and restore it. You already bought the Warmoth neck, but personally I would start with something cheaper if it's your first time. Messing up on cheaper parts is a lot less painful than screwing up on high quality materials. After some experience then I would move on to high end stuff when you have more confidence. Just my personal take.

Revoh

If you're looking for a good finger picking song give Dust in the Wind a shot. That song has a lot of fun changes but keeps a solid finger picking pattern pretty much all the way through. When I started to teach myself how to play guitar 5 or so years ago that was one of the first songs I tried to master and practiced daily. I felt like it helped me out big time. Gets you familiar with a decent amount of chords fairly quickly.

Thank you for this. I started learning it yesterday and today the picking pattern is already in my muscle memory. It's so fun to play!

Decided I needed (i.e wanted) some new pedals. So I've ordered the Mooer Devin Townsend Ocean Machine. Nice collection of delays and reverb that can be mixed together for some real out-of-this-world ambient sounds (which I love). And a Robert Keeley D+M Drive (That Pedal Show). Overdrive and Drive which can switched from one going into the other.
I like to collect pedals where possible. I must have around 20 by now including multi-effect units like the GR55. All fun.

Top Bottom