• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Seik

Banned
fFV9HM7.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
There are only two ways to rip your DC games:
Using a broadband adapter and transfer the disc's data to your computer via internet. You don't want to use the default line connection, it'll go at 40k/sec and it'll make your Dreamcast work for way too long (24h a game compared to 20 minutes with the BBA.).
-You'll have to use a program httpd-ack (Click here to download) and burn the CDI file on a CD-ROM
-You'll need an official (or burned CD) version a DC Web Browser to configure your DC's static IP. XDP recommended, this is the one I used and I didn't had any problems.
-You'll need CDMage as well to verify if you data are correct. (Click here to download)
Click here for the complete tutorial for the Broadband adapter method.

You will also be able to get the DC_BOOT and DC_FLASH files you need to run NullDC with the BBA method. These are available to take from your console each time you're ripping a game.

There is also the SD card ripping method, with which you will need an SD card adapter that will go in the back of the dreamcast. You can easily find those on Ebay for 10 times cheaper than the BBA.

iYDJt13hhUnd4.png

Seik

Banned
Emulation? Boo.

Console + Original discs + VGA. That's what real DC fans use.

'Real DC fans', like you said, will have loads of fun testing/playing their games again.

http://i.imgur.com/ayhsf.png

Well, I mentioned my reasons for using emulators guys. Those are FROM the original discs btw. I have a VGA box as well and it is just great, but if its possible, I don't mind having a superior resolution, its always welcomed as long as everything works fine imho. I understand what you mean though, but in my case, I'm the kind of guy who wants things to go to the next level. When I see a Dreamcast game that works perfectly on this emulator and looks quite better than anything a VGA box would ever be able to deliver, I see it as playing the game at its full potential.

I consider computers and emulators as the future of the DC just like any old consoles that exists. We'll have to rely on these in a not so far future, that's why I'm so enthusiastic about the whole emulation thing. Say boo all you want, that won't change anything. :)

Emulation? Boo.

Console + Original discs + VGA. That's what real DC fans use.

Except realER DC fans who use dummied and file re-ordered burned versions of the games they have still in shrink wrap, so as to lessen the work needed to be done by the laser, keep the original safe and sound, and also speed up load times.
like me

Say, are Dreamcasts capable of outputting 240p? I'm thinking about buying an RGB cable for mine and adding it to my SD setup. VGA is quite wonderful and all, but I can't play games like Mars Matrix and Bangai-O since they're not compatible.

Seik

Banned
Say, are Dreamcasts capable of outputting 240p? I'm thinking about buying an RGB cable for mine and adding it to my SD setup. VGA is quite wonderful and all, but I can't play games like Mars Matrix and Bangai-O since they're not compatible.

Well if you're in Europe and you have a SCART compatible TV, the Dreamcast have its own SCART cable which provides 240p. If not you could still get the SCART cable, plus a converter box but that would cost a lot.

AFgs8.jpg

Did some more tests todays. ^^

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Works great!

Sonic Adventure

Syriel

The Dreamcast renders at 480p internally by default for most software.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Can't you rip and patch them to be 480p compatible? You'd have to burn a new copy of it, but I think you can do it...

Edit: I guess some games can't be patched, like Bangai-O...

Edit2: I think the last Utopia Boot Disc allows VGA for everything.

Sophia

Ever since I found a Dreamcast, two VMUs, and two controllers for cheap at a flea market, hunting for used Dreamcast games has become somewhat of a hobby. I love this system, it's a shame it wasn't on market for as long as it's competitors :(

Tankshell

I still break out the Dreamcast occasionally to play Jap Ikaruga... imo the best home version.

Might look into emulating it as my Dreamcast has seen better days.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have fond memories of the time when the official dreamcast magazine (I think?) gave away a demo of a disc which lets you play any region games, but by accident it was the full version. Good times

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Dreamcast is definitely my favorite console of all time. I'm actually getting really close to finishing off my collection. A couple years ago I made a list of every DC game I had basically any interest in, and I've got all but 13. Though I'd be interested in adding stuff that's cool that I don't have on my list.

PowderedToast

it's my main console. hook it up via VGA and you can do no wrong (apart from a few incompatible games)

i've never seriously researched this but DC surely has the most 60fps titles of any console, right? it's astounding how many there are

Theonik

Tbh, DC emulation is still not good enough to be worth the effort. With VGA out and a CRT monitor it's also largely not a big deal.

DonMigs85

Ugh, Dreamcast fans out in force again...
While it was a good system, the GameCube was far better.
Even the N64 was better IMO. Far more classic games on there.
And it's silly to even compare it to PS1 and its library.
:p

Coin Return

Loose Slot
My launch DC is still kicking. It remains the only console I've ever installed a mod chip in, back when importing games was worthwhile.

stuminus3

I used to have a rather large network of friends. I convinced them ALL to buy a Dreamcast. Two weeks later, Sega pulled the plug. Now I have no friends.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I think the GameCube is a very underrated system, but its lineup is nowhere near as awesome as the Dreamcast lineup. The N64 had a handful of all-time awesome games, but it's not even as good as the GameCube lineup. I know a lot of people prefer the PSOne lineup, but eh. My gaming tastes trend way more towards arcade-style games. The only console close in my mind is SNES.

rbenchley

What are you doing in this thread than? The title of the thread indicates that it's for fans of the system to discuss their favorite games for the platform and emulating the system, and you thought it was a good idea to come in here and rain on everyone's parade? Don't act like a jackass.

Theonik

i7zGBvgemgseR.jpg

I like the NGC but seriously what the hell are you doing in this thread? Also the DC had a lot more interesting games in a shorter timespan.

Seik

Banned
Tbh, DC emulation is still not good enough to be worth the effort. With VGA out and a CRT monitor it's also largely not a big deal.

Did you tried it to say this? Because so far every games I tried worked perfectly, in fact I'm surprised at how the thing is stable. Only a few games had some very minor graphical bugs that disappeared after half a second. So far I'm very satisfied with this version of NullDC.

Theonik

Did you tried it to say this? Because so far every games I tried worked perfectly, in fact I'm surprised at how the thing is stable. Only a few games had some very minor graphical bugs that disappeared after half a second. So far I'm very satisfied with this version of NullDC.
Yes, I have used NullDC very extensively. There are several graphical bugs in some games. Also don't even think about playing Shenmue/2 on it.
Edit: Mind you I sorta stopped using it since I got a new DC last year.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Just wanted to chime in and say how much I love the DC. Launch was awesome.

I still almost monthly bust it out to play Tennis 2k2 with my buddies once everyone has hit a certain drunk point. So much fun.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

Way to largely miss the point of the thread. And troll.

IrishNinja

ya'll need to quit giving attention to trolls

goddamn, those SCART shots look amazing. i gotta get around to buying a VGA to HDMI converter already.

much love to the DC, one of my all-time favorites.

Does ShenMue work properly now? Last i check I could see through Ryu's head

This is the most up to date list available that I could find in 2 minutes.

• 90 Minutes Football= Playable but have graphic glitches (flashes, object disappear etc...)
  • 102 Dalmatians= Perfect
  • Aqua GT= Perfect
  • Army Men Sarge's Heroes= Perfect
  • Blue Stinger= Playable but have graphic glitches (flashes, object disappear etc...)
  • Carrier= Perfect
  • Crazy Taxi= Perfect
  • Crazy Taxi 2= Perfect
  • Dave Mirra Freestyle Bmx= Not Playable "Gives '8bit vram writes are not possible' error but it works perfectly under "nulldc 100b 1.6"
  • Dead Or Alive= Perfect
  • Draconus Cult Of The Wrym= Playable but have graphic glitches (sky flashes, object disappear etc...)
  • Dragon Riders Chronicle Of Pern= Perfect
  • Elemental Gimmick Gear= Perfect
  • Evil Twin Cyprien'S Chronicles= Playable but have unimportant graphic glitches (flashes etc...)
  • Evolution world of sacred device= Playable "some graphic flashes"
  • Fatal Fury Mark Of The Wolves= Perfect
  • Frogger Swampy's Revenge= Perfect
  • Gauntlet Legends= Perfect
  • Grandia 2= Perfect
  • Grinch,The= Perfect
  • Head Hunter= Perfect
  • Illbleed= Perfect
  • Jetset Radio= Perfect
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventures= Perfect
  • King Of Fighters 2000= Perfect
  • King Of Fighters 2001= Perfect
  • King Of Fighters 2002= Perfect
  • King Of Fighters Evolution= Perfect
  • Legacy Of Kain Soul Reaver= Perfect "but dynarec must be enabled otherwise can be slow"
  • Looney Tunes Space Race= Playable except sound problem (sometimes voice stick and repeat background during menu and race)
  • Marvel vs Capcom= Perfect
  • Mdk 2= Perfect
  • Omikron Nomad Soul= Not Playable "Gives '8bit vram writes are not possible' error but it works perfectly under "nulldc 100b 1.6"
  • Phantasy star online= Barely in game "Serious graphic flashes but playable"
  • Prince Of Persia Arabian Nights= Not Playable "Gives 'implemented opcode: 0 : unknown opcode @ 8C004000' "
  • Project Justice= Perfect
  • Propeller Arena= Perfect
  • Psychic Force 2012= Perfect
  • Rayman 2= Playable but have unimportant graphic glitches
  • Record Of Lodoss War= Perfect
  • Resident Evil Code Veronica= Perfect
  • Rez= Perfect
  • Rippin' Riders= Perfect
  • Sega Extreme Sports= Playable but have unimportant graphic glitches (flashes etc...)
  • Shadowman= Perfect
  • Shenmue= Playable but have unimportant graphic glitches (transparent hair etc...)
  • Shenmue 2= Playable but have unimportant graphic glitches (object disappear etc...)
  • Silver= Perfect
  • Skies Of Arcadia= Playable but have unimportant graphic glitches (flashes etc...)
  • Soul Calibur= Perfect
  • Soul Fighter= Perfect
  • Star Wars Episode 1 Racer= Not Playable "Gives '8bit vram writes are not possible' error but it works perfectly under "nulldc 100b 1.6"
  • Street Fighter Third Strike= Perfect
  • Street Fighter 3 Double Impact= Perfect
  • Sword Of Berserk Gut's Rage= Perfect
  • Tokyo bus guide= Perfect
  • Urban Chaos= Not Playable "Gives 'not implemented opcode: 38 : ldtlb @ 8C01257E' "
  • Virtua Fighter 3tb= Perfect
  • Virtua Striker 2= Perfect

ya'll need to quit giving attention to trolls

goddamn, those SCART shots look amazing. i gotta get around to buying a VGA to HDMI converter already.

much love to the DC, one of my all-time favorites.

Those are not SCART shots...

Seik

Banned
Yes, I have used NullDC very extensively. There are several graphical bugs in some games. Also don't even think about playing Shenmue/2 on it.
Edit: Mind you I sorta stopped using it since I got a new DC last year.

For the moment I can't say, the only one I tried are those which I posted screenshots from and most of them were quite good imo.

I have Shenmue though, I'll rip it tonight to try it. I was just feeling lazy because its four discs but I'll just rip the first one to test it.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
For the moment I can't say, the only one I tried are those which I posted screenshots from and most of them were quite good imo.

I have Shenmue though, I'll rip it tonight to try it. I was just feeling lazy because its four discs but I'll just rip the first one to test it.

I meant to say also, kick ass thread man. I love the DC with a passion.

I took this pick on the the DC birthday.

Miss the days when DC was the king of the hill.

Seik

Banned
I meant to say also, kick ass thread man. I love the DC with a passion.

I took this pick on the the DC birthday.

Miss the days when DC was the king of the hill.

Haha thanks!

Nice pick-up man! :D

(Nice setup as well!)

I remember back in the days when it just came out, how mindblown I was just to play Sonic Adventure for the first time, when the two last consoles I played massively were the N64 and the PSX, plus the fact that I was a fan of everything SEGA...it was just too perfect.

Just tried this:

-Expandable- Works quite well too, holy shit this game is fun!

EDIT:
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventures= Perfect

Hmmmm, I'll hunt this one soon! :p

EDIT2:
Done aaaand done. DAT IMPULSE.

RMXhp.png

Dreamcast first party line up > Gamecube first party line up
Though, a lot of Sega's first party Dreamcast games ended up on the Gamecube anyway, so this kind of invalidates the whole argument :p

But seriously, Sega's first party teams were amazing during the Dreamcast era. It's amazing how many new and original franchises they produced in the short lifespan of the console. The Dreamcast is just one of those consoles for me that was very hard to hate.

Also, the Dreamcast fishing controller doubled as a pretty decent tennis racket in Virtua Tennis.

Man, we almost had to wait a year from the Japanese release to get a Dreamcast?

As crazy as it sounds, this use to be the norm for console releases. :p

DonMigs85

Dreamcast first party line up > Gamecube first party line up

Gasp
Gasp
Gasp
Anyway, good thing Pen Pen TriIceLon remained DC-exclusive, it's the one thing that makes the actual hardware worth owning since almost every other good game migrated to some other platform.

Top Bottom