• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

JimPanzer

some questions regarding the german version:
are only symbols and nazi references censored? or is violence as a whole reduced?
is the english audio dub avaible with the german version?

Gangxxter

I live in Austria and I want to get the uncut US version of Wolfenstein for PC.

My question is: Could I get bannend on Steam if I activate the US version with an US VPN connection? Do I have to activate each time I want to re-install the game or is this a one-time-only thingy?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

My question is: Could I get bannend on Steam if I activate the US version with an US VPN connection? Do I have to activate each time I want to re-install the game or is this a one-time-only thingy?

It's not just a matter of using a VPN to activate the game:

For consoles, yes; for the PC, no. All of the rest-of-world subs on Steam are set to disallow running the game if you have a German IP, and while it is possible to get around this by running the game with a VPN (switching to Offline Mode thereafter if you'd prefer to not have the VPN active longer than absolutely necessary) or using the app id trick*, either scenario is far from ideal.

* Only works if the game in question uses Custom Executable Generation/"Steam DRM", plus it breaks Steamworks integration since Steam thinks you're actually playing a different game.

Theoretically using a VPN at all is discouraged as per the SSA, but to date there are no verified or reputable reports of Valve restricting the accounts of those who just use one to unlock a game early or activate a region-locked key; it's using one to skirt region-specific pricing on the store itself that Valve takes issue with.

Justinsimonin

Neo Member
I was an oddly avid fan of "Return to Wolfenstein" back in the day, although I haven't played that in years and years and kind of doubt it still holds up? But even that being said when this was first announced/ shown I couldn't have been any less interested, and there were definitely times during the last year or so it completely forgot that this was coming out at all! However, trailers and gameplay footage in the last few months actually have thinking this may actually be a good game, just trying to keep my hype in check until reviews start hitting

Gangxxter

It's not just a matter of using a VPN to activate the game:

Theoretically using a VPN at all is discouraged as per the SSA, but to date there are no verified or reputable reports of Valve restricting the accounts of those who just use one to unlock a game early or activate a region-locked key; it's using one to skirt region-specific pricing on the store itself that Valve takes issue with.
Thanks for your help.

Awww well that sounds terrible. I guess I'll skip Wolfenstein then, too much of a hassle to get through that.
Too bad, was really looking forward to it after I've seen this OT popping up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nope. It can't be far off, though. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the flip were switched within the next 10-12 hours.

Thank you. That would be great. I'll call Bethesda.

G_Berry

Banned
For anyone in Australia;

EB just sent me and e-mail saying you can get Wolfenstein free (on PS4/X1) if you trade in any*** 2 PS4 or X1 games.

Edit: *The following titles are not eligible for this trade-in offer: Angry Birds Star Wars, Trials Fusion, Metal Gear Solid Ground Zero, Pinball Arcade, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, Putty Squad, Rayman Legends and Fighter Within. Only valid when preordering or purchasing Wolfenstein: The New Order on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. Not to be combined with any other offer.
I got this too!

Peace out infamous and titanfall.

ekim

There will be a stream of the game today at 10:30 on Twitch done by Gametrailers. Just as a heads up. :)

And the gore/blood isn't censored in the german version and it did get a 18+ rating. Color me surprised.

geordiemp

That thread title...

Reminds me of a classic English spoof newspaper
sunday sport
headline "world war 2 bomber found on moon"..

I know its sad but as a young lad our football team used to read out a story from that newspaper every sunday each before a match.

I don't think I have cried so hard when I had to read that story.

Usually UK versions work without a problem, don't they? I'm in Switzerland and plan to get the UK version.

Metal-Geo

Ohoohohoh so close. Here's hoping they'll flip the switch for preloading soon. I want to play this as soon as I get home on May 20th.

Get Psyched!

Edit: Btw, great OT title <3

are only symbols and nazi references censored? or is violence as a whole reduced?

Only Swastikas and other Nazi symbols are removed/replaced.
Violence, according to Bethesda, is the same as the other versions.
Only the German dub seems to be available for the game according to the Steam Store page. But seeing as the file size is the same as the international versions I wouldn't be sursprised if the English dub is burried in there only waiting to be unlocked by modding the game.

T.O.P

Banned
Excited as fuck for this

Just waiting to know if the X1 version is on par with Ps4 before deciding wich to buy

Xater

Violence is untouched. The symbols are removed and the audio is censored. No mentioning of Nazis, aryans and all that jazz. That's why there is also no English dub available.

I'll probably just buy the US version from US PSN if the reviews are good.

Mein Körper ist fertig.

It should be "Mein Körper is bereit."

Fedele

Preordered at simplygames as the price was really good, hopefully I'll get it by the 20th.

REALLY excited for this game, I finished the OG Wolfenstein yesterday!

The only downside is not having the good ol' multiplayer I fell in love with on the OG Xbox. Even without any progression system or anything like that, I spent so many nights playing with my friends... Those were good times.

SCEE better put a pre load up for this game prior to release. I'm not sure how often SCEE do preloads compared to SCEA.

Also really hoping that the secret unlockable mode is worthwhile.

d00d3n

I am really looking forward to this. Preordered some time age, but didn't keep track of the exact release date.

I am a bit worried about the "adventure element" in the game, considering the pre-release information which has focused on dual wielding big guns and linear story bits. Does the game use a hub based progression system like Riddick and The Darkness? Are there sidequests in the game? Dialogue trees? Non-hostile npcs that can be killed? Progression and finding secrets locked away by items/powers? (the last part may be partially confirmed with the laser cutter thingy)

If the only thing that is left from the Riddick/Darkness days is great characters/story, that would be quite disappointing ... But hopefully they want to surprise us with some of this stuff in the game. I can understand that nazi mechs and decapitations make sense to emphasize from a PR standpoint, but I am trying to have faith in the intentions of the ex Starbreeze guys.

bidguy

Banned
I am really looking forward to this. Preordered some time age, but didn't keep track of the exact release date.

I am a bit worried about the "adventure element" in the game, considering the pre-release information which has focused on dual wielding big guns and linear story bits. Does the game use a hub based progression system like Riddick and The Darkness? Are there sidequests in the game? Dialogue trees? Non-hostile npcs that can be killed? Progression and finding secrets locked away by items/powers? (the last part may be partially confirmed with the laser cutter thingy)

If the only thing that is left from the Riddick/Darkness days is great characters/story, that would be quite disappointing ... But hopefully they want to surprise us with some of this stuff in the game. I can understand that nazi mechs and decapitations make sense to emphasize from a PR standpoint, but I am trying to have faith in the intentions of the ex Starbreeze guys.

no hub world, secret rooms and corridors with weapons and upgrades are in. dont know about the other stuff but ill remain optimistic

So conflicted.

Love Wolf games.
No multiplayer.
Have a PS4 backlog already.
SHOOTING NAZIS IS THE MOST FUN EVER.
The vids have looked so fun.
Not sure full price is worth it.
Want to play Doom!

Have they mentioned the inclusion of secret doors? I worship that part of the first game so much!

DieH@rd

Banned
So conflicted.

Love Wolf games.
No multiplayer.
Have a PS4 backlog already.
SHOOTING NAZIS IS THE MOST FUN EVER.
The vids have looked so fun.
Not sure full price is worth it.
Want to play Doom!

Have they mentioned the inclusion of secret doors? I worship that part of the first game so much!

Yup, they are in. :D

d00d3n

no hub world, secret rooms and corridors with weapons and upgrades are in. dont know about the other stuff but ill remain optimistic

Ahhh, didn't know it was confirmed. Sad to see them leave this aspect behind ... Well, I guess the main point of having a hub world is to increase the consistency and immersion in a game world by enforcing some logical structure in how areas are connected, but there are other ways of doing that successfully (for example, HL2 or Metro: Last Light), so maybe they will come up with something good.

Izcarielo

Banned
As a german, can i order this game from amazon.co.uk without problems?

The laws in Germany are fucking insane, I mean, how longer will this last? Wont people EVER forget about the nazis & that fucking stigma and let games and whatnot to be published?

DieH@rd

Banned
Can I already Preload the damn game on the PS4? Or is there any word out there when it starts?

Supposedly it will start few days before launch.

Hopefully Bethesda will reveal beforehand how large their first PlayGo chunk is, so that people know how much time they will have to wait before they can start playing the game while it is downloading.

Top Bottom