• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake coming to Steam? [Steam registry entry appears]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

;_;

I'm too big of a remedy fan, double dipping if truth

Amen, brother.

Was just about to play through AW for a second time with all the news of the sequel going about, but I guess I'll hold off on that now.
Glad Remedy came to their senses, but some of the negative comments in this thread are quite unnecessary.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I called the shit out of this.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS gave the A-OK for Alan Wake to release on the PC given its relatively lukewarm reception on the X360. We know that the PC version existed until MS put a pin in it last February - mere months before release - so it's not as though finishing said version would be overly time-consuming.

Jtrizzy

This should look really, really nice in 1080p60 DX9. Of course there will be a broken DX11 mode that crushes performance and gets patched weeks later.

Erasus

Awesome. Its one game I have been concidering getting a 360 for. But if its for PC then I´ll get that version. A Quad core+4830 should run it at 1080p/No AA, I hope.

On the xbox it was what, 540p? :lol Though it was 4xAA.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Glad I held off on playing it, although I heard mixed reception

Lets see how much it sells on PC first before we get the developer all settled in again

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As a new release, I wouldn't pay more than 30 so I hope they price it accordingly. This type of game deserves at least HD visuals. At the very least, we should get that.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't like this at all, feels like mockery since we're getting the below average game that came out and not the awesome sandbox game that was supposed to be made for PC.

I don't like this at all, feels like mockery since we're getting the below average game that came out and not the awesome sandbox game that was supposed to be made for PC.

Remedy gave their arguements to why they think the lineair design was better for the game, now let and it go and live with it. Sheesh.. Oh and below average? Play the game.

derFeef

The awesome sandbox game that was hardly a game at all. It was a prototype, an idea, a tech demo. And it did not work well enough for what they had in mind with the game. Luckily they made an awesome story driven game out of it. Plus - the technology is still there, the engine is capable of everything what you saw and you will see it in the Alan Wake game that we know today.

I should stop responding to this, maybe....

JaseC

Remedy gave their arguements to why they think the lineair design was better for the game, now let and it go and live with it. Sheesh..

Remedy's arguments being "It's a narrative experience!" and "We never promised a PC version!" - both of which occurred after MS signed on as publisher; not to mention the latter is utterly false. There's no denying MS wanted - or rather, attempted - to capitalise on the Remedy brand by tying Alan Wake to the X360.

Edit: Clarity.

Their arguments being "It's a narrative experience!" and "We never promised a PC version!" - both of which occurred after MS signed on as publisher; not to mention the latter is utterly false. There's no denying MS wanted - or rather, attempted - to capitalise on the Remedy brand by tying their next IP to their console.

Yet on 360 it is rendering unused areas were we do not go to explore.
Just read the digital foundry analysis.

Derrick01

Banned
I just don't see how anyone could say it was below average. You make it seem like it was worse than Two Worlds 1

What? No two worlds is like bottom of the barrel awful garbage. 0/10.

Below average is like a 4/10. Still a ways ahead of shit like that but not a good game.

Dabanton

Even if it stayed PC or not Remedy themselves said that going full sandbox made no sense narratively.

They tried it and it didn't work for them, the 'levels' are absolutely huge anyway.

EDIT: Found the quote from Sam Lake

"Certainly, there were prototypes we tested and were not happy with that didn't end up as part of what Alan Wake is.

"For example, early on we tried out sandbox elements. With them we were constantly running into situations where we had to [endure] big compromises in our thriller pacing and our thriller storytelling. At the end of they day we decided it wasn't worth it. We wanted to do a story-driven game - that's what we feel Remedy games are supposed to be.

"[Sandbox] was one thing we decided to abandon and go in a different direction. Some of these things look good on paper, and then when you try them out they don't work as well."

Their arguments being "It's a narrative experience!" and "We never promised a PC version!" - both of which occurred after MS signed on as publisher.

What does 'we never have promised a pc version' have to do with the nature of the game. I simply don't see the link. Same hoes for 'It's a narrative experience'. Why is that such an unbeleivable thing? They are the developers, they create and test the game. If they think that having an open world is nice, but makes no sense, why wouldn't they change it? If anything, console gamers tend to like open world (GTA, Saints Row, Just Cause) better than or just as much as lineair games. So it's not like the decision was made to serve the console crowd. If you know something I don't, please enlighten me (pun intended :p).

JaseC

What does 'we never have promised a pc version' have to do with the nature of the game. I simply don't see the link. Same hoes for 'It's a narrative experience'. Why is that such an unbeleivable thing? They are the developers, they create and test the game. If they think that having an open world is nice, but makes no sense, why wouldn't they change it? If anything, console gamers tend to like open world (GTA, Saints Row, Just Cause) better than or just as much as lineair games. So it's not like the decision was made to serve the console crowd. If you know something I don't, please enlighten me (pun intended :p).

Are you daft? The game changing to a linear title happened years after the game was announced and demoed. Forgive me, but when Remedy say "we only lost months of development when removing the open-world element" yet mention with the same breath that "we never promised a PC version", I'm nothing but sceptical.

I think he means that if they would have wanted to make it open world, it would be fairly easy and has nothing to do with the game's platform exclusivity.

That doesn't fly when the focus of the game shifted alongside the announcement that it became exclusive to a relatively underpowered platform.

derFeef

Are you daft? The game changing to a linear title happened years after the game was announced.

That doesn't fly when the focus of the game shifted alongside the announcement that it became exclusive to a relatively underpowered platform.

Coincidence, or not. Whatever - the game would have been the same on PC as it was on 360.

JaseC

Coincidence, or not. Whatever - the game would have been the same on PC as it was on 360.

Given the circumstance surrounding the game becoming X360 exclusive, I sincerely doubt it. Do I care? No, not at all - I loved the game. Do I think MS forcing their hand as publisher impacted the creative vision? Absolutely. I can't prove it, and I make no pretence to the contrary, but given the development history of the game, I can't help but believe it.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying the game would have been better had it released to the PC; rather, I find it too coincidental that Remedy began singing a different tune after MS jumped on board. That's all.

derFeef

Given the circumstance surrounding the game becoming X360 exclusive, I sincerely doubt it. Do I care? No, not at all - I loved the game. Do I think MS forcing their hand as publisher impacted the creative vision? Absolutely.

That's a bit naive I think, I did not expect that view from you. :)

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying the game would been better had it released to the PC; rather, I find it too coincidental that Remedy began signing a different tune after MS jumped on board. That's all.

Partly redeemed ;)

JaseC

That's a bit naive I think, I did not expect that view from you. :)

Partly redeemed ;)

Haha. :p The point I'm trying to make is that I believe the scope - not the quality - of the game was lessened when it became an X360 exclusive.

Edit: I'll happily eat crow if Remedy come out and delineate why they changed the focus of the game and explained Microsoft's lack of creative pressure, but until then I'm filing it under "too coincidental to be coincidence". Is that naive? Perhaps. But when an open-world title becomes a linear (or "closed-world") game in addition to a console exclusive, that - to me - raises some flags. I will not argue nor pretend that Alan Wake would have been superior as an open-world title, but until proven otherwise I will believe that the game changing focus to an X360 exclusive was at least partly responsible for the game becoming less ambitious in scope.

Edit 2: Again, for clarity, do I care? No. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. And before somebody pegs me as one of those blokes who considers open-world titles a touch above everything else, let it be known that Portal 2 and Alice: Madness Returns are my two nods for GoTY. I hope fellow GAFers understand where I'm coming from when utilising the admittedly crude formula of (PC flagship title - PC release) / (X360 exclusive) = final scope of project.

This needs to be a good port, and at $40. A full priced mediocre port 2 years too late is not going to do them any good.

Worst case scenario:

dx9
no aa (deferred engine you see)
16:9 locked aspect ratio
30 fps cap... but it dips!
graphics options: vsync, brightness
the same crappy bik cutscenes
360 textures
mouse lag

:O

derFeef

Btw. I still think it's just going to be American Nightmare somehow. It's an original story, only with references to the happenings in the first game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! Now I will be able to play it on Steam!

Now I just need a way to purchase things off Steam. Dammit. So close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom