• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

Tesser

I understand that having a crowd cheering is kinda cool, but with that also comes those annoying ones that spend the entire fucking conference screaming for god knows what.

I suspect this is the new/latest standard or staple all the major conferences will have. I wonder if Bethesda have given that one screaming girl - present in their last conference - a full-time position...if they haven't already.

If anyone's deserving of a permanent spot this year, it's the T-Shirt guy

Just to echo the many sentiments already expressed: I really like Nintendo's style when it comes to releasing info to the public. I don't personally believe every company should hold their events in a similar style, I just simply think that Nintendo is quite effective at the style they pursue with their Directs, and I personally appreciate it. Not every single one is a knock out of the park or anything, but since they basically exist in their own ecosystem nowadays, it's always nice to just have a nice chunk of Nintendo-only product reveals delivered in a usually playful style. I'm also in love with my Switch, the hybrid setup has been doing me wonders with my lifestyle (I'm able to play it at work during downtime!), I really just can't wait for anything that Nintendo puts out in relation to the platform. :D

Good on them for sticking with it this E3. I am willing to bet that means 3rd party support still isn't at ideal levels since the benefit of showing up at the shows is having your corporate partners there with you, but nonetheless, I do still expect Nintendo to surprise me with their own software, and -- who knows -- maybe I'm completely wrong on the third party support and Nintendo's just gonna do it their own way anyway.

Expected. To be fair directs have the possibility of being better edited than your average E3 press conference however directs can never match the fanfare and hype of an exception e3 press conference, especially if you are part of the audience.

Nerokis

Nintendo Direct presentation + Treehouse Live + some sort of presence on the E3 floor has been a winning formula much more often than not.

Going back to a live E3 conference would feel like a regression.

Eliseo

Expected. To be fair directs have the possibility of being better edited than your average E3 press conference however directs can never match the fanfare and hype of an exception e3 press conference, especially if you are part of the audience.

You mean journalist, investors or high ranking exes?Do we have to be excited if they clap or scream? We should only care about the games.

You mean journalist, investors or high ranking exes?Do we have to be excited if they clap or scream? We should only care about the games.

Acting like fans don't get to go and also appreciate the live on stage aspects. Sony's E3 2015 is an outstanding reminder of this and will continue to be.

Eliseo

Acting like fans don't get to go and also appreciate the live on stage aspects. Sony's E3 2015 is an outstanding reminder of this and will continue to be.

Sony's 2015 presentation was good because of the games they showed, the games are what make it or break it, not the people in there clapping like mindless seals. if it was a pre recorded show and had the same games the impact would have been the same.

3 minutes of people sucking kojima's balls is EXACTLY the kind of thing that makes me want that everyone did Directs.

They are not cheering for any game, they are just happy that a celebrity is in the same room as them. A celebrity that is famous because people think BIG COMPANY games are actually small paintings made by just one guy

Give me 3 minutes of random indies that are coming instead please, beacause THOSE are actualy made by just one guy =P

Dunno. Sometimes it's good that hype is created by persons rather than games.

It's not like people didn't clap like crazy after god of war was shown or when shenmue 3/FF7 remake was annonced.
Feeling the hype , expressing your hype is a great feelign.. and this can't occur the same way with a direct.

Remember when nintendo annonced twilight princess and everyone in the room went crazy ? I do , many people still do. Those are events that stick into the collective minds for years . i regret that nintendo with the directs have no opportunity to do the same anymore..

Eliseo

It's not like people didn't clap like crazy after god of war was shown or when shenmue 3/FF7 remake was annonced.
Feeling the hype , expressing your hype is a great feelign.. and this can't occur the same way with a direct.

Remember when nintendo annonced twilight princess and everyone in the room went crazy ? I do , many people still do. Those are events that stick into the collective minds for years . i regret that nintendo with the directs have no opportunity to do the same anymore..

THE people in there, not us nor the general public, regular people would find out later thanks to an article on IGN or some other videogame website.

atr0cious

The Iwata/Reggie fight was just as good, same for the puppet show and the robot chicken skits. We don't need a Toadstoolboner hashtag(lame crowd engagement) though the thought of Miyamato saying that outloud might change my mind.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Eh i don't see how. Why do you think there's a few hundred million views for videos of people reacting to shit. People like to see other people reacting to shit.

There's no other logical reason to describe it. If not that popularity wouldn't occur

atr0cious

Eh i don't see how. Why do you think there's a few hundred million views for videos of people reacting to shit. People like to see other people reacting to shit.

There's no other logical reason to describe it.
You say this like Nintendo doesn't have some of the most watched e3 videos of late.

THE people in there, not us nor the general public, regular people would find out later thanks to an article on IGN or some other videogame website.

People intrested in videogames will use the internet to get the information.
Articles are great , but even if you find out that way , any user , any potential buyer will see that hype video on top of their search engines.

Now , information is shared.. a hype video will help to get more people to talk about the game. You think people ignore videos of hype shared on social media ? everyone want an event like this shared on twitter , facebook and so on.. this is like , the best way to spread info about your game these days , not some article on a website. Those are fine , but not sufficient in this day and age.

The Iwata/Reggie fight was just as good, same for the puppet show and the robot chicken skits. We don't need a Toadstoolboner hashtag(lame crowd engagement) though the thought of Miyamato saying that outloud might change my mind.

This didn't have nearly the same impact imo.

Yes, paid shills and piped audio are always a good indicator of hype.

Eliseo

There's no other logical reason to describe it. If not that popularity wouldn't occur

ou mean the videos of people reacting to THE GAMES, it doesnt matter if they were on stage or pre recorded, once again, it's the games that make people react which make videos about them reacting to those games,live or pre recorded means jack shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK5gdf5cMPM

Osiris397

Banned
Even though this is no big deal to the Nintendo faithful I kind of think it may be a critical error for Switch keeping the userbase expanding momentum they have now later in 2017 and into 2018. Sony's E3 is probably going to be bonkers and that's not great for switch right now. I'm specifically comparing this to how many people are playing Pokemon Go right now.

Eliseo

People intrested in videogames will use the internet to get the information.
Articles are great , but even if you find out that way , any user , any potential buyer will see that hype video on top of their search engines.

Now , information is shared.. a hype video will help to get more people to talk about the game. You think people ignore videos of hype shared on social media ? everyone want an event like this shared on twitter , facebook and so on.. this is like , the best way to spread info about your game these days , not some article on a website. Those are fine , but not sufficient in this day and age.

I think you missed my point and we are actually sharing the same sentiment, the hype videos and the reactions videos are caused by one single thing: GAMES, it does not matter if the game announcement was pre recorded or live on stage.

Sony's 2015 presentation was good because of the games they showed, the games are what make it or break it, not the people in there clapping like mindless seals. if it was a pre recorded show and had the same games the impact would have been the same.

Now you're just lying to yourself. As if FF7R reaction would be anywhere near the same without the troll conference attempt prior, the stage silence with the life force on the screen and the crowd reactions. Same with Shenmue 3, with the creator walking on stage for a standing ovation.

its fine if you don't feel like it, but don't try and ignore the hype such live conferences garner with on stage reactions.

atr0cious

Even though this is no big deal to the Nintendo faithful I kind of think it may be a critical error for Switch keeping the userbase expanding momentum they have now later in 2017 and into 2018. Sony's E3 is probably going to be bonkers and that's not great for switch right now. I'm specifically comparing this to how many people are playing Pokemon Go right now.
Folks, Nintendo is covered just as much as the other two, especially because Nintendo gives the press their own personal conference.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You say this like Nintendo doesn't have some of the most watched e3 videos of late.

There's irrelevant to the point. People arguing to not watch some that's off interest to them just because there isn't a large audience there but to some people the experience can be improved by a large audience that's why this is even a discussion in the first place. You see those tournaments with audiences Nintendo hosts instead, why do you think they're there. Nintendo generally replaces the conference with tournaments for specific games or a more general overview. Very rarely do they just leave it as a direct if they're taking the e3 seriously. Those tournaments aren't cheap.

Regiruler

I think it's 0% we see Kimishima in any skit at E3 or any type of "gimmick". He's not that type of person.

I don't think Kimishima has any bearing on whether there will be a skit or not. We pretty much had one in Koizumi's magic show during the Switch presentation.
Rockstar doesn't go to E3, and they do just fine. They're too good for E3 and so is Nintendo.

They're still going to E3.

phanphare

Banned
Now you're just lying to yourself. As if FF7R reaction would be anywhere near the same without the troll conference attempt prior, the stage silence with the life force on the screen and the crowd reactions. Same with Shenmue 3, with the creator walking on stage for a standing ovation.

its fine if you don't feel like it, but don't try and ignore the hype such live conferences garner with on stage reactions.

setups and payoffs are not bound by a live audience, in regards to the ff7 troll and then legit remake announcement

and the reactions will always scale with the weight of what's being announced or shown

you're going to get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY1p8ZgvqYM

regardless of whether there were none, 10, or 100 people in that room

I think you missed my point and we are actually sharing the same sentiment, the hype videos and the reactions videos are caused by one single thing: GAMES, it does not matter if the game announcement was pre recorded or live on stage.

I agree with you and i disagree with the bolded.
You cannot just ignore the impact of hype in a video and how it helps it to go viral.

Evo moment #33 without the crowd going crazy at the end is the same event with much less impact.

When you're watching an event with a crowd, the reaction of the crowd add MUCH , so much to the event. Do you watch sports ? How the public cheers and get crazy when their team wins ? when something amazing is happenning ? It's an added effect that changes EVERYTHING.

Watch a soccer game without the public and it's night and day.
It's the same with video games ..... public reaction matters

atr0cious

There's irrelevant to the point. People arguing to not watch some that's off interest to them just because there isn't a large audience there but to some people the experience can be improved by a large audience that's why this is even a discussion in the first place. You see those tournaments with audiences Nintendo hosts instead, why do you think they're there. Nintendo generally replaces the conference with tournaments for specific games or a more general overview. Very rarely do they just leave it as a direct if they're taking the e3 seriously. Those tournaments aren't cheap.
It's exactly the point when you're talking about reaction videos.
ou mean the videos of people reacting to THE GAMES, it doesnt matter if they were on stage or pre recorded, once again, it's the games that make people react which make videos about them reacting to those games,live or pre recorded means jack shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK5gdf5cMPM
Does this not count? And we keep talking about reactions like the text chat in streams isn't the new community, especially with twitch and emotes blowing up. And this makes no sense. So someone won't watch something unless it has crowd reactions in it? The crowds are there because it's a tourney and they have many fans. Are you saying evo only allowed people to watch fights for publicity of the tourney? Not to cheer on their friends or just enjoy a great exhibition of a game they like? The theater rental is a write off for advertising in itself, the tourney is a creative way to engage the customer.

No one is saying an audience can't be good, I like going to comedies in the theater for the crowd interactions, but as a fan of video games, live conferences have always sucked and dragged on needlessly as the script tries to fill dead air or evoke something similar to humor and it almost never works out; not to mention the crowd noise is usually piped in from the employee seats. The direct fixes this, especially for an insular Japanese company like Nintendo, and we actually get to see other Dev personalities besides Miyamato (Koizumi,Nogami etc) now because they're not standing stiff reciting lines from a lame script just so the translator can keep up. On top of this, we get 3 days of unscripted gameplay, and developers get to come in and discuss their work as it's being played.

If you don't like that, it's cool, but don't act like it's crazy that people have a preference to that over 15cgi trailers with 3 scripted demos and a multitude of devs not knowing what to do with their hands.
This didn't have nearly the same impact imo.
Splatoon 1 and ARMS have almost the exact same marketing plan, your opinion isn't fact.

setups and payoffs are not bound by a live audience, in regards to the ff7 troll and then legit remake announcement

and the reactions will always scale with the weight of what's being announced or shown

Well , this is again a great exemple. That video went viral , because reactions to an annoncement matters.

Great annoncement => people getting crazy => people watching people getting crazy => more wide spread diffusion of said information.=> positive buzz

That video just made an echo of the people in the room at E3 doing the same thing.
What do you think happens , when you've ever played a shenmue game in your life , yet see people getting crazy about it ? you wonder why they are excited ... and that's how you spread hype and awareness.

The same thing , the same video , without suzuki on stage , without others getting crazy get much much less

Splatoon 1 and ARMS have almost the exact same marketing plan, your opinion isn't fact.

Lol , i said "IMO" ..I never passed that as a fact.
And your argument isn't tight either ... what you've stated doesn't prove AT ALL that both approaches have the same impact

Watch a soccer game without the public and it's night and day.
It's the same with video games ..... public reaction matters

That's because fuck all happens 99% of the time in soccer. Directs are fine without audiences because in (a good) direct there aren't very many points in time where nothing is happening.

Beartruck

Live press conferences always have flubs and wasted time with people walking on/off stage and transitions to video. I'll take a direct anyday.

Just no. There are certain things done on stage that amplify the reveal. That troll announcement would not nearly be as notorious if it was some pre-recorded message, heck its the very reason we got this reaction from the presenter:

HashimotoPSX_FFVII.gif

That Shenmue 3 announcement is a clear example as well.

You're never going to get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EV9zDHletk

Watching a conference with a live audience gives that inclusive affects a pre-recorded stream can never give.

That's because fuck all happens 99% of the time in soccer. Directs are fine without audiences because in (a good) direct there aren't very many points in time where nothing is happening.

It's ok to praise directs but let's not speak nonsense. fuck all happens 99% of the time ?
Well nevermind.

The point is the effect when something is happenning.

Like , as if sony and microsoft haven't already proved that you can make a live presentation where things are happenning all the time.

3 minutes of people sucking kojima's balls is EXACTLY the kind of thing that makes me want that everyone did Directs.

They are not cheering for any game, they are just happy that a celebrity is in the same room as them. A celebrity that is famous because people think BIG COMPANY games are actually small paintings made by just one guy

Give me 3 minutes of random indies that are coming instead please, beacause THOSE are actualy made by just one guy =P

A certain group of Nintendo fans suck Miyamoto's and Reggie's balls on a daily basis. Well, maybe those got stale, so I guess Koizumi has come to their rescue.

I agree with your overall sentiment, but I take issue with the Kojima part. Not because I give a shit about Kojima (I don't), but from what I've seen in this forum, there's -- by far-- a bigger cult of personality around Nintendo "celebrities" than anyone else.

Fraeon

Great annoncement => people getting crazy => people watching people getting crazy => more wide spread diffusion of said information.=> positive buzz

Sure. But as the customer I feel like it isn't my job to worry about a company's hype cycle.

Just give me the info. The Directs do that well.

A direct-style presentation would have never given us last year's incredible orchestra leading into the God of War reveal. Sony has mastered the live E3 conference, and they should keep doing it. On the other hand, Nintendo's last live conferences have been complete buzzkills, so they're better suited doing directs.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Perfectly okay with this. Direct and Treehouse has been a winning combination.

I don't think Kimishima has any bearing on whether there will be a skit or not. We pretty much had one in Koizumi's magic show during the Switch presentation.

They're still going to E3.

When did I say Kimishima has any bearings on skits? Lol

I said I don't expect Kimishima is any skit because he's not that type of person.

Torokil

Live shows have their place but for E3 all I care about are new game trailers and reveals. Having a crowd fake applauding does nothing to me. Its like saying a comedy needs a laugh track in order to be funny.

That's the hilarious part the crowds reaction for FFVIIR did nothing for me. I didn't have a damn about their reaction. My OWN reaction was off the charts to see a video of it playing.

If FFVIIR was announced during a Direct I would have the same reaction. FFVIIR would have the same coverage as it would get if it were announced live.

Personally I like the live stage presentations better. It's feels more real somehow idk how to explain. As for the trees houses, I don't like the people hosting it they feel like non gamers actors hired to do that.

Top Bottom