• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiko |OT| Hyper Light Zelda. The Best $5 You Can Spend on Switch!

E-flux

16:51 with Uzume is impressive! As you say, she is really slow. I'm pretty confident you'll definitely be able to break 15:00 with Yamato.

uyP7Lts.png

It's definitely happening, i can easily shave that 30 seconds off, Yamato is so fast that you can just blaze through everything. I tried a few runs with Hitome but i just don't like that throwing arc at all, i only got a few seconds better time with her, but if i get sub 15 i'll need to try to get her down there too.

Mandelbo

Beat the game in about 55 minutes or so - it's quite a steal for the price, although it's definitely not perfect. It has a nasty habit of spawning enemies literally immediately in front of you, which is frustrating anyway, but it's made worse when you're carrying an orb or a key, since that makes you drop it and forces you to go all the way back and pick up another one. If enemies *always* spawned closer to the edges of the screen, or even off the screen entirely, it'd be much less irritating. Also I really feel like a map would be useful, since the areas are fairly large and I sometimes found myself forgetting which routes I hadn't fully explored yet - but that's not quite as annoying as the enemy spawns!

Robin64

Beat the game in about 55 minutes or so - it's quite a steal for the price, although it's definitely not perfect. It has a nasty habit of spawning enemies literally immediately in front of you, which is frustrating anyway, but it's made worse when you're carrying an orb or a key, since that makes you drop it and forces you to go all the way back and pick up another one. If enemies *always* spawned closer to the edges of the screen, or even off the screen entirely, it'd be much less irritating. Also I really feel like a map would be useful, since the areas are fairly large and I sometimes found myself forgetting which routes I hadn't fully explored yet - but that's not quite as annoying as the enemy spawns!

Here's a trick: When you know about a route that you need to carry an orb/key and enemies spawn on it before you have the orb/key, kill all but one. A new pack won't spawn if you left one alive.

Stencil

Hyper Light Zelda? $5? Sold.

when i buy a switch, which i've been more and more tempted to do as time goes on.

That water area in the arrow GIF is, in fact, the East quadrant from Hyper Light Drifter.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
played a bit last night.

I mean.. this game is fantastic for $5. Everything about the aesthetics are outstanding, and it's mobile game pricing and replayability with console-quality controls.

game deserves tons of success. hats off to the dev team.

Game looks fun AND it's only $5? Sold.

That said, it's going to have to wait until June. MK8D and PPT will keep me busy all May.

LayLa

Just played though this in one sitting, was a fan of Fairune but this was even better. Look forward to playing through with the other characters.

kevin1025

Banned
Crazy how I'm having more fun in a $7.90 CDN (taxes and all) price than some full priced games, haha. Really liking this! Uzume is always the way to go.

E-flux

Hah, i fucking did it!

For some reason i really like the feeling of dancing around monsters while carrying stuff, squeezing through the smallest crack feels so good.

If anybody wants to see what it looks like when you go fast.
Link

Evilmaus

Just completed my first run. 48:23, 1 sitting, 0 deaths.

As someone who played the absolute fuck out of Hyper Light Drifter, this game is WAY too easy.

That being said, I really rate this game and think it's a great addition to the Switch library at it's current price tag. Graphics are nice, music is good, combat is incredibly simple but still very fun. Has plenty of replay value through the other characters (and a game mode I've not unlocked yet?), and it's just long enough for what it is. Doesn't overstay it's welcome at all.

Absolute steal. Money well spent. Encourage everyone to give it a go!

Hero

Hah, i fucking did it!

For some reason i really like the feeling of dancing around monsters while carrying stuff, squeezing through the smallest crack feels so good.

If anybody wants to see what it looks like when you go fast.
Link

I just beat it for the first time on my lunch break at 48 minutes. Your time is insane.

Cerium

I'm stuck trying to get to the last gate on the second level lol.

How do I press both switches at the same time?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Have to say, this game is a lot of fun to play on lunch break, love the art style and there's way more exploration than I thought there be

BizzyBum

Well, all done with the three characters.

Favorites in order were probably Hinome > Yamato > Uzume. A nice 2 hour (I'm slow) break from your current game rotation. The BGM's are excellent and having 12 in this small title is really nice plus built-in timers for speedrunning is a cool feature.

Definitely recommended. Make sure to play it on the tablet, looks way better than on a TV.

D.Lo

Yup, They're not even trying on the second level, it's borderline assets stealing. It might be stupid but it bothers me too much...
it's a direct evolution of designs from the same developer's game Fairune, which was originally released on iPhone in April 2013, months before even the kickstarter for HLD, let alone release.

Yup, They're not even trying on the second level, it's borderline assets stealing. It might be stupid but it bothers me too much...
It's not asset stealing, it's following the same sources of inspiration. This developer has two previous titles released before HLD, with a similar art style. No one is accusing Heart Machine of stealing, why would you accuse them of something like that?

Top Bottom