• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo to keep making video games, Switch will get titles that help it sell

I had this discussion with a friend this week.

Do you think Bayonetta 3 would be published by Nintendo with the very suspicious fact that Sega ported the first game to PC out of nowhere?

For me it seemed obvious if anyone is publishing the game it'd be Sega, rereleasing the first game to build up some hype. For him not.

By 'very suspicious' and 'out of nowhere', do you mean paying attention to the online campaign that's been going on for years now and paying for an easy port of an old game? If you think that means Sega would be willing to fund and publish a third entry...your friend is probably right.

Peltz

A lot of teams have been silent for years so I'm sure they're itching to present some of their new projects.

Valahart

By 'very suspicious' and 'out of nowhere', do you mean paying attention to the online campaign that's been going on for years now and paying for an easy port of an old game? If you think that means Sega would be willing to fund and publish a third entry...your friend is probably right.

If it has been going on for years and it's that easy and cheap to port why would they only do that now instead of years ago?

I truly do think they should avoid Wii U ports at all cost for several reasons. First, the systems are simply too close in power. This is not a Wii to Switch scenario where things like resolution, textures, etc. can all be noticeably boosted.

Yes it is. WiiU visuals on the handheld would be fine especially considering Smash is 1080p so it could be downsampled in handheld mode which is already better than the WiiU.

In docked mode there are tons of improvements they can crank out with the better CPU and GPU which in raw power alone is 2.25x stronger.

The Switch isnt a powerhouse but its a fairly big step over WiiU frankly.

Banned
Smash Deluxe
Animal Crossing
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pikmin 4
Retro title
Pokémon Stars

Let's go! Choo Choo!

Presumably this is referring to the next fiscal year. Pokemon Stars and some form of Smash Bros are the obvious picks, but we still don't know what Retro is working on and I'd say there's an outside chance of Animal Crossing.

Yeah, I think E3 is going to be lighter on big new game announcements for the Switch than many think. I see a lot of ports and remasters of mostly WiiU games and I see them detailing their online service. Maybe we'll get some announcements from them about some big new games whose release dates are way off in the horizon but I honestly don't see a lot of big game announcements until 2018 and I definitely don't see big game announcements from western 3rd party dev teams until at least 2018.

sinxtanx

If it has been going on for years and it's that easy and cheap to port why would they only do that now instead of years ago?

corporate bullshit

listen->consider->get approval->assemble team->develop->release is a harder process than GAF thinks it is

Raide

Not expecting any crazy new announcements/IP. Expecting ports of the best Wii-u titled that deserve another shot.

Raven77

Yes it is. WiiU visuals on the handheld would be fine especially considering Smash is 1080p so it could be downsampled in handheld mode which is already better than the WiiU.

In docked mode there are tons of improvements they can crank out with the better CPU and GPU which in raw power alone is 2.25x stronger.

The Switch isnt a powerhouse but its a fairly big step over WiiU frankly.

Well right now we have only one example of a Wii U port - MK 8. The visual upgrade is not noticeable to the vast majority of people that would look at it. The frame rate is a frame better and generally it looks the same. This is pretty universally accepted. Additionally, Splatoon 2 doesn't look much better than Splatoon 1. I haven't looked at every video but the 3 comparison videos I saw showed that it generally looked about the same as well. Certainly not a large generational leap.

However, IF they did start to make the difference more noticable, then sure, release some Wii U ports, but personally (and I don't feel like i'm very much alone in this) I don't have a lot of interest in Wii U ports that look generally about the same as the previous gens version.

I'd rather this not devolve into a discussion about which system is more powerful. My point is more around them needing new games or ports / remakes / follow ups to older games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When it comes to Nintendo and ports they usually port titles that they feel will sell well again. Mario Kart 8 sold well on the Wii U and will sell well again on the Switch, so it's a no brainer.

Wonderful 101 on the other hand did bugger all and will likely go down with the sinking Wii U ship.

Basically, don't get your hopes up for Wii U ports of the less popular titles.

I mean, it could happen, but I wouldn't bet my hopes on it.

noshten

Just give me a Shrine Maker for BotW where I can build and share trials - I'd pay good money for such a companion game.

ckaneo

Well right now we have only one example of a Wii U port - MK 8. The visual upgrade is not noticeable to the vast majority of people that would look at it. The frame rate is a frame better and generally it looks the same. This is pretty universally accepted. Additionally, Splatoon 2 doesn't look much better than Splatoon 1. I haven't looked at every video but the 3 comparison videos I saw showed that it generally looked about the same as well. Certainly not a large generational leap.

However, IF they did start to make the difference more noticable, then sure, release some Wii U ports, but personally (and I don't feel like i'm very much alone in this) I don't have a lot of interest in Wii U ports that look generally about the same as the previous gens version.

I'd rather this not devolve into a discussion about which system is more powerful. My point is more around them needing new games or ports / remakes / follow ups to older games.
The Switch isn't that much stronger graphically....

I'm not sure what your expecting, but don't lol

Minsc

Gold Member

The Wii U is by far the least popular Nintendo system, and not just by a little bit either (except perhaps if you count the Virtual Boy), so it's pretty inaccurate to say "you're not alone in this" in regards to the view of having played Wii U titles, because by in large, you are. No way around it. :)

LordKasual

Banned
I can't recall a Nintendo console that didn't make this promise

but if they announce a REAL Metroid game at E3, I will literaly buy a Switch the next day

Raven77

The Wii U is by far the least popular Nintendo system, and not just by a little bit either (except perhaps if you count the Virtual Boy), so it's pretty inaccurate to say "you're not alone in this" in regards to the view of having played Wii U titles, because by in large, you are. No way around it. :)

So you're saying the vast majority of Switch owners are very interested in Wii U ports that don't look much better or offer much more than the Wii U version? That seems like a big assumption.

phanphare

Banned
She's been talking a lot about that Mario x Rabbids crossover game recently, so I'm assuming that is the August game she's hinting at.

ah yeah I forgot about that one

So you're saying the vast majority of Switch owners are very interested in Wii U ports that don't look much better or offer much more than the Wii U version? That seems like a big assumption.

I think he's saying that the Wii U was a historical flop so these ports not looking much better on Switch is irrelevant to the market at large

so here's an interesting tweet from Emily Rogers

"Summer is shaping up to be surprisingly strong for Switch.
At least one big game per month (June, July, August) And none of them are ports."

do we know anything about that August game?

edit: is Fire Emblem Warriors considered big?
Isn't FE Musou a fall game?
People massively underestimate how many people did not actually play Wii U games and the potential of great ports to attract lapsed fans. For many people MK8DX might as well be a new game.

I really want them to make a conference again...

They would be the stars of the show...

E3 2013, and the subsequent Nintendo appearances at the same event are a forward-thinking mark of bravery, as are their Directs. Personally, I don't think they should return to a stage, and I'll never, EVER understand the desire for it. "But, but, BUT... LOZ: Twilight Princess Reveal!!" - Nope. That was in 2004, THIRTEEN YEARS AGO. You know what else!? It's been bettered since. A decade later, you had the simplicity of Aonuma sitting down, as if he was a teacher about to tell the curious pupils a story. We had background, and a click to show us the world of LOZ: Breath Of The Wild. We were blown away again last year. They don't need two hours. You're told all that you needed to know in about 45 minutes. No rotten excesses. No sales talk. No canned/forced boy-band concert-esque squealing. No terrible jokes, casual use of racial slurs, or other awkward moments. After that, you're treated with World Championships, Exclusive Reveals, Nintendo Treehouse and Developer Directs. In E3 2013, Reggie talked about "bringing E3 to the people", and they've accomplished that. Also, where the PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio reveals had a lot of pointless talk, the Switch put its message across clearly in a 3-minute clip. 30 million+ views, and one of the most successful console launches ever reinforce my belief that this is the right approach.

Look at the Switch Presentation once more, to further illustrate my point that stage conferences would be a regression. The content was great, and it was very enjoyable. I loved the quirkiness of Koizumi showing the Joy-Con and gameplay possibilities, and appearing as Mario. I loved how Splatoon 2 was revealed. However, BOTH would've translated on screen much better, if the presentation had been a Digital Event or Direct. Also, look at Shibata declaring "Objection!!" for an Ace Attorney title in a past Direct - It's better in Direct form, but wouldn't have gone over on a stage. Then we had the No More Heroes team, and the poor translator was unfairly roasted on the Internet, because he was thrown off-guard - In Direct form, that problem would've been eradicated. Directs and Digital Events are better in every way. They enable a closer connection between creator and audience, and each title can have the reveal it deserves, on the creator's terms, not a closed circle of "journalists" and some agreed-upon narrative.

I can't recall a Nintendo console that didn't make this promise

but if they announce a REAL Metroid game at E3, I will literaly buy a Switch the next day

You may have trouble doing that if the supply hasn't caught up to the demand by then :)

I think he's saying the vast majority of people who play games did not buy a Wii U (or even know it existed) and therefore didn't get to play most of those titles. Ports of those on the Switch might essentially be new titles to a large amount of people who skipped the Wii U, and judging by the sales forecast that will be a majority of Switch owners within a few years.

Majukun

nintendo almost always manages to disappoint from this point of view,so better take this promise as just something to keep investors calm.

So the rumor that Nintendo is making video games was true.

Insane right? It's almost as if the Switch has never had an E3. Pretty unprecedented actually, we usually know about so many future titles at this point in a systems lifespan but the Switch has never been at a major event outside of the January debut.

Minsc

Gold Member

I guess we'll just have to wait and compares the sales of said ports, by normal porting standards, any late Switch ports should sell vastly fewer copies than the original release. So far, it's looking like with BotW that isn't proving to be the case, correct (though I guess you can make an exception there because reasons, launch port, etc)? I guess we'll see if MK8D performs a lot worse than MK8 or not, and I'm not sure what the next port is, but I imagine we'll get a few others as well.

Skittzo0413 said:
I think he's saying the vast majority of people who play games did not buy a Wii U (or even know it existed) and therefore didn't get to play most of those titles. Ports of those on the Switch might essentially be new titles to a large amount of people who skipped the Wii U, and judging by the sales forecast that will be a majority of Switch owners within a few years.

I actually think within the first year, the majority of the Switch's userbase will be people who did not own a Wii U. There's no way to know for sure, unless you assume the worst case scenario and put every Switch sale as a Wii U owner, but obviously that isn't the case 100%. Within a few years, I'd say the vast majority of Switch owners didn't own a Wii U.

I actually think within the first year, the majority of the Switch's userbase will be people who did not own a Wii U. There's no way to know for sure, unless you assume the worst case scenario and put every Switch sale as a Wii U owner, but obviously that isn't the case 100%. Within a few years, I'd say the vast majority of Switch owners didn't own a Wii U.

Actually I agree with you that it'll likely be the case this year (and maybe eve now), but like you said there's no way to know for sure. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence on GAF and Reddit and such from people who say they haven't bought a Nintendo system since the N64 or Gamecube and already have a Switch. Of course anecdotal evidence doesn't say much.

Also love the title change, I thought rumors based on tweets weren't allowed ;p

Hero

Insane right? It's almost as if the Switch has never had an E3. Pretty unprecedented actually, we usually know about so many future titles at this point in a systems lifespan but the Switch has never been at a major event outside of the January debut.

A lot of people were just irrational in their behavior, thinking that we knew 100% of the Switch lineup for the rest of the year and beyond and that nothing else was going to get announced.

HardRojo

Lol at title change. But yeah it was pretty obvious, the only slightly worrying thing is they don't specify a timeframe, but there's E3 for big announcements.

Mario Kart could have other improvements if they wanted to. They just dont want to. Look at Lego City as another example. Large increase in resolution, change to physically based renderer, looks much better than the WiiU version.

They may as well port a bunch of WiiU games. They system had all these games that sold like shit because it couldnt even sell gamecube numbers. Ports dont have to be internally driven. Lots of port housea out there. I disagree people dont want ports. The last 2 gens remasters have sold very well

Switch Pokemon.
Switch Smash.
Switch FF7 remake.
Some other IP brought back from the dead (sup Metroid).

they'll win E3.

Mario & Sonic at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games will surely happen. Many partners haven't disclosed their plans, too.

Regarding the bolded part, Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Blastball were released this past September. If their sales are anything to go by, there are a lot of fans who didn't play them. Those who did play it said it was fine for the most part. So, Metroid fans have two games out there. It's one thing if you've played them and didn't like them, or if you don't own a 3DS, but there are Metroid titles to play, and fans have been far from neglected here. Any Metroid fan claimimg they're hard done by, or that the series is "dead" is being a spoilt brat, tbqh.

You know, one of the easiest Wii U games to bring over has to be Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Why? Because that game had literally no meaningful usage of the gamepad whatsoever. Something like Mario 3D World is a little more difficult to bring over because there's a handful of stages designed around using the gamepad's screen that would have to be reworked if it got brought over to Switch.

Tropical Freeze, on the other hand...well, if you're playing it on the TV screen, the gamepad shows literally just black nothingness, and vica versa. One of the best games on that system and it doesn't make any special use of its main selling point. That's how you know what went wrong with the entire concept of the Wii U.

Top Bottom