• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

For Season 4 I'm gonna try force myself to play more ranked matches. The problem is I like to try weird shit so I need to get that out of my system before ranked. Not really sure what my target is though with all these new ranks. I hit blues finally a while back so that was my Season 3 target done. I guess Gold will be a reasonable target, but if they'd have stayed the same I'd have been aiming for the purples, so maybe Diamond? Plus I was Silver in Season 1 so Gold seems a little low even if I did skip S2.

I get the feeling purples are going to be even harder with this additional tier of ranks to get through.

Soulflarz

Banned
Low purples probably won't be much harder
Theres very little improvement between superstar and low GC so just learn another core concept and you're golden :D

Theres very little improvement between superstar and low GC so just learn another core concept and you're golden :D
Weird thing for me is I've been stuck in Superstar/Champ for ages and ages. I feel like my mechanics are improving, especially stuff like jumping off the wall for shots and touches, but for whatever reason I just can't hold Champ for very long.

Soulflarz

Banned
Weird thing for me is I've been stuck in Superstar/Champ for ages and ages. I feel like my mechanics are improving, especially stuff like jumping off the wall for shots and touches, but for whatever reason I just can't hold Champ for very long.

It's hesitation 99% of the time
Literally go out of your comfort zone and attack the ball when it's higher up or attack faster
You're going to fuck up a ton. A ton. I fell to all star. But once it clicks in a few days, S3 GC is the easiest thing ever if you have superstar mechanical skill.

It's hesitation 99% of the time
Literally go out of your comfort zone and attack the ball when it's higher up or attack faster
You're going to fuck up a ton. A ton. I fell to all star. But once it clicks in a few days, S3 GC is the easiest thing ever if you have superstar mechanical skill.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep at it. In general I'm a pretty aerial focused player, I'd say that side of my game is a lot more comfortable for me than ground stuff. I can get a nice dribble move every now and then but the air/wall are what I love.

Of course, consistency is always a problem as well. Some nights I'm just feeling it, other nights it's just not quite there.

EDIT: Look at this trash:

RL3.png

I am upset.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah I have that issue from sleep loss. It's no secret I sleep 5am and the days I do I can't play rl for 2 days
I can hard dunk slow players still but it never goes in so lul.

^obviously it could be something else for you (positioning is key in playing fast after all!) but who knows without seeing ^_^

Hmmm, I do need to learn wave dashing whatever the hell that is. I think consistency will keep me busy for a while just getting anywhere near that rank though XD. That and just straight up control. I've always been reasonably happy with my air control but recently watching Deevo's dribbles and FairyPeak!'s shots I've started to wish for more again. Particularly Deevo's air control even if it has limited use.

Having said that, just doing the basics better has made massive strides anyway. Some days it seems everything is a boomer and they're the days I tend to rank up best. I've even debated just playing ones for a few weeks to solidify that ground game a bit. Definitely gonna mix it up this season though.

Yeah I have that issue from sleep loss. It's no secret I sleep 5am and the days I do I can't play rl for 2 days
I can hard dunk slow players still but it never goes in so lul.

^obviously it could be something else for you (positioning is key in playing fast after all!) but who knows without seeing ^_^

Hmm, as an Insomniac I wonder if that's giving me an extra hurdle.

Soulflarz

Banned
Hmmm, I do need to learn wave dashing whatever the hell that is. I think consistency will keep me busy for a while just getting anywhere near that rank though XD. That and just straight up control. I've always been reasonably happy with my air control but recently watching Deevo's dribbles and FairyPeak!'s shots I've started to wish for more again. Particularly Deevo's air control even if it has limited use.

Having said that, just doing the basics better has made massive strides anyway. Some days it seems everything is a boomer and they're the days I tend to rank up best. I've even debated just playing ones for a few weeks to solidify that ground game a bit. Definitely gonna mix it up this season though.

Hmm, as an Insomniac I wonder if that's giving me an extra hurdle.

Control is basically essential to playing 'fast'
It's like trying to dribble fast in 1s- if it falls off the front of your car, you're kinda fucked unless you get a god tier fake or speedup in.

Wavedashing is situational and largely unneeded, there's better things to work on generally.

I know you guys are talking about the superstar to Grand champ gap, but what would you say are the big hurdles skill-wise between low rising star and superstar? I've been improving but really slowly. I still can't air dribble and I miss the ball way too much, mostly rely on being ok at grabbing saves. I guess just hitting the ball with more consistency should be my focus too.

I am super happy with rising star for season 3 though. I called my girlfriend about it when it happened and she was just like, "uh huh."

I'm nearing the 400 hour mark. I feel like I can get better if I just play more but it is disheartening sometimes to see a pro or expert doing stuff that I still can't figure out.

Pepiope

I know you guys are talking about the superstar to Grand champ gap, but what would you say are the big hurdles skill-wise between low rising star and superstar? I've been improving but really slowly. I still can't air dribble and I miss the ball way too much, mostly rely on being ok at grabbing saves. I guess just hitting the ball with more consistency should be my focus too.

I am super happy with rising star for season 3 though. I called my girlfriend about it when it happened and she was just like, "uh huh."

I'm nearing the 400 hour mark. I feel like I can get better if I just play more but it is disheartening sometimes to see a pro or expert doing stuff that I still can't figure out.
Air dribbling isn't important. To improve you need to focus on positioning and rotation. Look for your teammates and make sure your touches aren't putting them in bad positions. With just that you could reach GC.

Soulflarz

Banned

Rotation+positioning + some mechanics. Not air dribbles or really aerial things, just understanding when it's safe to catch the ball or when you can powershot

Quick shots are 10x as efficient and frequent as air dribbles- they're also way easier to learn :D

You'll miss less as you learn how to read the ball better :3

edit: I should also add that grounded powershots put you out of the play half as long as an aerial- it's not that rare to powershot and then rebound the goalies save because he had to save it in an awkward manner (if at all) and you can lazily hit it in as a result.

So when you ask difference between low and high blues? Well, it's a bit harder to say than high blue to proper gc, because proper gc has a plethora of skills, while blues can get there for simple things. It's very hard for us to tell you inherently what's keeping you where you are- it's usually a mix of things to be honest. As you improve everything falls into place relatively :D

^^^ and definitely get better at hitting the ball. Everybody whiffs a few times a game, especially on difficult shots, but if you are consistently whiffing basic bread & butter stuff you need to hit training and focus on making good contact with the ball vs trying to make the perfect shot. When whiffs become a thing of the past work on fine tuning your aim. Good luck!

Control is basically essential to playing 'fast'
It's like trying to dribble fast in 1s- if it falls off the front of your car, you're kinda fucked unless you get a god tier fake or speedup in.

Wavedashing is situational and largely unneeded, there's better things to work on generally.

That's a good point. I suppose every moment I'm improving my control I'm upping my game a little bit, but there's definitely some stuff I have a real lack of control over. Most obvious for me, ground flicks. Though I did pick up on something last night. What Johnnyboi refers to as getting ahead of yourself, or basically going that bit too fast is my main problem when it comes to control. By extension, the times where I slip up in the air are also usually due to launching before I'm comfortable with the angle.

I'm beginning to wonder if my biggest obstruction to control is panicking, but there's a fine line between panicking and hesitation and the latter ends up with me being punished even harder.

Those "pros" are almost definitely smurfs. You're making good progress for 400 hours, keep it up!

Heads up for traders. The hexed drop off is real. It's going as low as 21 keys right now and it's not slowing down by the looks of it. At this rate it might be below 20 keys before the patch is out.

Such a reactions market lol. Glad all my keys are hoarded and on my white zombas.

I really is isn't it? XD

It's also kind of a pain since I'd love Hexed but I can't touch it with this going on right now. I wish I'd cashed in my Heatwave ages ago too now since that rarely gets any use and is below 20. I just had a thought though. What if Hexed is getting dropped off price wise and there turns out to be no new BM decal because the new BM's aren't decals?

I dunno why, but I get the feeling there's something other than decals in there this time.

I really is isn't it? XD

It's also kind of a pain since I'd love Hexed but I can't touch it with this going on right now. I wish I'd cashed in my Heatwave ages ago too now since that rarely gets any use and is below 20. I just had a thought though. What if Hexed is getting dropped off price wise and there turns out to be no new BM decal because the new BM's aren't decals?

I dunno why, but I get the feeling there's something other than decals in there this time.
If there isn't a new decal buy it asap price will go back up fast.

If there isn't a new decal buy it asap price will go back up fast.

Damn, that's a good point. Luckily I should be getting in the door literally as the patch deploys so I think I'm just gonna do a round for the first crate (always seem to get one after the first match after a patch for some reason) then sell it and keep a close eye on the market. If I do snap up a cheap hex and it goes up again, in all honesty I'd just sell it and buy it after the next BM decals hit.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I decided to boost my nephews account from the depths of Prospect 1 Division 1 to Challenger so he'd get the gold tires yesterday.

It was hell, I think I had to win four or five games before he even moved up one division he was so low.

Blog

ARENAS
“Core 707” is now available when playing Dropshot

“Mannfield (Night)” is now available in all playlists

“Neo Tokyo” has been removed from Casual and Competitive playlists

The map will remain playable in offline and private matches

In a future update, Neo Tokyo will return to online play with a standard layout

CRATES

Turbo Crate has been added

Painted versions of the “Endo” Battle-Car are available from this crate.

Painted versions of the “Tachyon” Rocket Trail are available from this crate.

EASTER 2017

Seasonal Easter Items can be acquired March 22 through April 17

Easter Egg Antenna

Bunny Ears Hat

Easter Basket Hat

ACHIEVEMENTS
Registered Voter

Head to 'Arena Preferences' and use all of your votes

Metaverse

Equip the Halo Topper and win a match on Starbase ARC

Brave the Elements

Complete a match on wasted land, under the sea, and in outer space

Damage Control

Win a Dropshot match via shutout

Full Course

Score a total of 18 Goals in Dropshot

Buckminster

x10 Damage a total of 320 panels in Dropshot

CHANGES AND UPDATES

GENERAL
Dropshot

The new Dropshot game mode is now available in the unranked playlists

The goal of the mode is to break the floor with the ball on the opponent's side, and knock the ball through the hole

AquaDome has undergone further performance optimization and its overall color saturation has been reduced

“Spell (Sando Remix)” by Hollywood Principle has been added to the soundtrack

In-game code redemption has been added

In the future, Players can go to the “Extras” menu, select “Redeem Code,” and enter codes to unlock in-game items

Arena Preferences

Preference weighting has been updated to be simpler. A map’s odds are now changed based on the net percentage of the lobby who like or dislike a map

If all players in a lobby Dislike a map, it will now never appear

If half of the players in a lobby Like a map, it will appear 50% more often

If one player Likes a map and another player Dislikes it, it will appear as often as normal

Time Played is now tracked as a statistic

Time played before this update will not be included in tracking

USER INTERFACE
Trading Updates

The Trade interface has been updated. All trade offerings will appear on screen without players needing to scroll the list.

The trade timer now runs for five seconds, up from three seconds.

Key Selection

A new “Key Selection” setting has been added to the Options Menu (Use Oldest, Use Newest, or Ask Me)

If the user chooses “Ask Me” a new UI modal will appear when opening a crate that allows players to pick which key to use.

Free Play Training

You can now select which map to train on after choosing “Free Play” from the Training Menu.

You can now exit directly to “Free Play” from the end of match menu.

Custom Training

Custom Training sequences can now be discovered and played cross-platform.

The Custom Training feature can now be accessed while offline

A new “Featured” tab has been added that spotlights selected Training Sequences chosen by the Psyonix team

Forfeiting a 1v1 match now requires confirmation.

Loading Screens now reflect the arena being loaded into as well as the game mode

Game Tips are now included on the new Loading Screen

Painted Items now show a colored border in the UI

PS4 and Xbox One players can now bind “Air Roll Left” and “Air Roll Right” from the Controls menu

PS4 and Xbox One players can now disable Light Shafts in the Video options menu

The default binding for Create Party and Invite Players has been changed to “X” on Xbox controllers, and “Square” on PS4.

COMPETITIVE
Season 3 has ended. Titles and items will be awarded for your highest rank achieved during the season

Season 3 Prospect Wheel

Season 3 Challenger Wheel

Season 3 Star Wheel

Season 3 Champion Wheel

Season 3 Grand Champion Title

Season 4 brings a new set of Skill Rankings to provide more clear divisions between skill levels

You are now classified into Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Champion, and Grand Champion ranks

The new Grand Champion rank will be harder to attain than in Season 3

There are now only four divisions per skill tier (e.g. Gold II, Division IV) due to each tier covering a smaller range of skills

Skill Reset

After placement matches, you will be assigned a skill rating influenced by your Season 3 ranking

This ranking will be lower than where you finished Season 3 and you will have to climb back to the highest rank you can reach

We are not doing a full reset like Season 3 due to the lengthy period of matchmaking disturbance it created. This “soft reset” means players start separated by skill to keep things balanced but can still climb back to top ranks

Matchmaking Abuse

In the interest of enforcing fair competition, a small number of accounts have been identified as abusing the matchmaking system, and will receive a hard skill reset. These accounts will not receive Competitive Season 3 item rewards

Placement Match Updates

The placement match system has been revised to allow players to climb faster if they win the majority of their placement games

When rejoining a Ranked Match, the default option is now “OK” instead of “Cancel”

ESPORTS
An “Esports” button has been added to the top of the main menu

The Esports button will take you directly to live, official Rocket League tournaments on Twitch, including live RLCS streams

This button will only be visible during associated live events

Spectators can now see a player’s Boost Meter and Rumble Power-up when in Player View

BUG FIXES

GENERAL
The Boost Meter now rounds down when you have a fractional amount of boost.

Party Members can now rejoin Private Matches after exiting to the Main Menu.

Fixed a rare issue where items would disappear after a completed trade

The achievement “Rocket Genocider” has been fixed

Xbox One: Removing a split screen user from a party no longer ends the party

An issue with the Dominus GT tail lights not working properly has been fixed

Turning on/off Color Blind Mode no longer causes the field to change colors in Free Play

Players can no longer pass through the Arena wall on Double Goal (Rocket Labs)

Trading with one player in your party no longer prevents you from trading with other party members afterwards

Painted Items are now displayed correctly in the Trade-In menu

Lobos Wheels now have glowing eyes on both sides of your Battle-Car

The gun turrets behind the arena in Starbase ARC no longer shoot indefinitely

Fixed an issue causing Motion Blur to be incorrectly disabled on PS4 and Xbox One

Optimized the performance of the majority of the Rocket Trails in the game

dawid

In a future update, Neo Tokyo will return to online play with a standard layout

It seems Psyonix are finally starting to figure out this competitive game-thing. They should have looked more at how games like SC2/CSGO/DOTA2 are handling their map-selection from the beginning instead of learning to walk all by themselves. But i'm really happy they're moving in the right direction.

Now, how long til we can 100% veto maps, or the other freakmaps are removed from competitive?

TheKeyPit

Banned
Superstar Standard Ranked match. I drive the ball up the wall, teammate drives past me along the wall and steals my ball. I drop down the wall, while doing so the opponents make a good clear which goes right into our goal. I can't get there in time because of the previous bs by my teammate. That same idiot spams "OMG!", "Take the shot!".
This was a match after a 4 win streak and we lost that one. I always get an idiotic teammate after a good win streak. Always!

It's been said on reddit but it's a good idea to go in game and screenshot your camera settings before the update. Sometimes updates reset them.

This actually gives me a good reason to try some new settings. I did Season 1 on standard, season 3 on Lachinio's so this time I want to try something a bit further away, maybe Deevo's. Something about Lachinio's setting haven't been sitting well with me recently. It's so close the other team disappear behind the ball that bit too soon.

Superstar Standard Ranked match. I drive the ball up the wall, teammate drives past me along the wall and steals my ball. I drop down the wall, while doing so the opponents make a good clear which goes right into our goal. I can't get there in time because of the previous bs by my teammate. That same idiot spams "OMG!", "Take the shot!".
This was a match after a 4 win streak and we lost that one. I always get an idiotic teammate after a good win streak. Always!

I try not to complain about teammates anymore, but I will say I screamed internally earlier when a teammate robbed side boost as I was heading for a wall play clearly, then when I roll it up and head for corner boost he does the same instead of taking the wall play. I've just come to accept that used to be me so I just ignore it when it happens to me now, but it does occasionally gain a mental 'wtf'.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I try not to complain about teammates anymore, but I will say I screamed internally earlier when a teammate robbed side boost as I was heading for a wall play clearly, then when I roll it up and head for corner boost he does the same instead of taking the wall play. I've just come to accept that used to be me so I just ignore it when it happens to me now, but it does occasionally gain a mental 'wtf'.
I expect that kind of behavior in late Challenger, but Superstar? WTF!

TheKeyPit

Banned
Well, I'm done with Season 3.

Season 2 ranking:
thekeypitnaqmb.png

Season 3 ranking:
thekeypit2cmutd.png

I'm not happy about my Season 3 result. It should've been the Superstar rank in Doubles and Standard.

Purples in Season 4 is my goal.

Edit:
That's my poor achievement after one year of Rocket League on Xbox One.

Air dribbling isn't important. To improve you need to focus on positioning and rotation. Look for your teammates and make sure your touches aren't putting them in bad positions. With just that you could reach GC.

Rotation+positioning + some mechanics. Not air dribbles or really aerial things, just understanding when it's safe to catch the ball or when you can powershot

Quick shots are 10x as efficient and frequent as air dribbles- they're also way easier to learn :D

You'll miss less as you learn how to read the ball better :3

edit: I should also add that grounded powershots put you out of the play half as long as an aerial- it's not that rare to powershot and then rebound the goalies save because he had to save it in an awkward manner (if at all) and you can lazily hit it in as a result.

So when you ask difference between low and high blues? Well, it's a bit harder to say than high blue to proper gc, because proper gc has a plethora of skills, while blues can get there for simple things. It's very hard for us to tell you inherently what's keeping you where you are- it's usually a mix of things to be honest. As you improve everything falls into place relatively :D

Those "pros" are almost definitely smurfs. You're making good progress for 400 hours, keep it up!

Thanks for the replies. I think my consistency is definitely the first thing to address. Some nights I feel like I'm playing better than I should be, and other nights I'll just whiff at the worst times. And I do mostly see improvement after grinding training so I think I'll hit some more of that tonight.

How has nobody on Reddit posted a pic of the crate contents yet?!

Finally posted, eh underwhelming wheels imo. I'll post if I ever figure out how to copy paste on this POS Reddit app.

EDIT: Screw it, I tried. What's the new BM then?

That feeling when you leave your PC on only to find steam is aware of the download and has decided to drop it there and not do anything with it. Is there a way to fix that? Because Steam has basically the most useless downloader I've ever encountered. It literally just queue's everything for half a day for no reason at all.

Lender

First game in 1v1 ranked after patch. Comes out against a grand champion. Freaking amazing. Got my ass kicked all the way till sunday.

I wish you could just set a map for free play as opposed to picking one every single time.

FWIW it does at least remember which one you had last, even if you reboot the game, so you can just mash through it.

Edit: aaaand dead servers.

Torra
20XX

Huh...guess I'm buying Hexed unless 20XX animates really well, Tora is very barely animated to the point I don't think you'd notice in game.

Grinchy

Banned
Ok, Dropshot is fucking awesome. This is way better than I thought it would be. Servers appear to be dead, though.

My ball indicator wasn't working in the mode. Anyone else having that issue? You could see it on the ramps leading up to the walls if the ball was up above, but it wasn't showing up on the ground.

Top Bottom