• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Something I was thinking of the past few days. If hypothetically, the OS does take like 512 MB, would it be reasonable to think that the total amount should be several times that number? I mean, I don't think there's any rule that says that RAM allocation has to be like that. For all we know, the memory for the OS could be 512 MB, and the remainder could be 256 MB. But that's highly, highly unlikely, right?

Something I was thinking of the past few days. If hypothetically, the OS does take like 512 MB, would it be reasonable to think that the total amount should be several times that number? I mean, I don't think there's any rule that says that RAM allocation has to be like that. For all we know, the memory for the OS could be 512 MB, and the remainder could be 256 MB. But that's highly, highly unlikely, right?

For a videogame system? A Nintendo videogame system? Yes, highly unlikely. If it's that much (and we don't really know that it is), it means that Nintendo got a large amount of RAM for relatively cheap.

Completely unlikely into impossible, actually.
Based on what we know, the amount that is for games vs the amount for system functions will be something like 2-4:1 ratio.

I have this (perhaps irrational) concern that anything less than 2GB will seriously hamstring the console in the foreseeable future in light of the rumors that Orbis/Durango will have anywhere between 4-8GB.

No one will have more than 4GB and as it stands only Durango is the likely candidate.

OK, now I'm convinced you and IdeaMan have exchanged login details to fuck with us. Either that or he's assimilated you.

Have you forgotten that all of you are parts of my mind? Ideaman was a later creation.

BurntPork

Banned
Should I keep Iwata in my avatar until the meeting, switch to Reggie for no reason, or just change back to normal?

Oh, and a quarter of 3DS's RAM is OS reserved, so the same might be true of Wii U.

guek

Banned
There really is no reason the OS should require that much ram. Nothing that comes to mind anyway.

Ergo, the only logical explanation is that nintendo is going to incorporate ram intensive OS level features that we haven't seen before.

There really is no reason the OS should require that much ram. Nothing that comes to mind anyway.

Ergo, the only logical explanation is that nintendo is going to incorporate ram intensive OS level features that we haven't seen before.

The only thing I can think of is like...
Being able to watch your friend play a game, while you're playing a game and you're both voice chatting.
Which would be awesome, but still.

guek

Banned
The only thing I can think of is like...
Being able to watch your friend play a game, while you're playing a game and you're both voice chatting.
Which would be awesome, but still.

What about doing that while watching the same netflix movie together? You can do something similar on 360 iirc, but not with video chat.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Combining my previous post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35909560&postcount=19446

With the current head/eye tracking and IdeaMan's post below makes me hopeful. The glasses won't be needed if eye tracking is good enough. Besides the Wii U should be able to track the Wii U controller well enough.

Also, if the rear camera is good enough it could make the screen appear transparent.

bgassassin and I were discussing a similar possibilty earlier in this thread. Since the Wii U is already capable of streaming video, a stereoscopic visor is possible. I doubt they're going to do it, but the possibilities are incredible. Head tracking alone would be relatively easy to implement f you just added IR lights onto a communication headset (like the one that comes with Xbox 360) and an updated sensor bar.

As for a 3D visor, with front facing cameras and head tracking, you could create a real VR experience. You could place AR cards around the room for example. This is also the ideal set up for the Wii remote and nun-chuck imo. They would perfectly compliment each other.

Apparantly Nintendo were doing some R&D in this area as well. Thanks to bgassassin for finding this:

http://kyoto-report.blogspot.com/2011/04/ninja-courier_19.html

kyoto-report said:
It looks like Nintendo Technology Development, the Seattle based hardware group under Howard Cheng, has been quite busy researching and developing several of the technologies being used in Project Cafe. One of the more interesting features is their work on tracking systems and head-mounted stereoscopic displays along with CPU and GPU research and evaluation.

What about doing that while watching the same netflix movie together? You can do something similar on 360 iirc, but not with video chat.
Wait. How would that work?
If you're playing a game, and watching your friend play a game, where would the movie go?
I want to trust IdeaMan, but I don't know if I should.

Are we just eating his posts out of desperation, or maybe there's something else I missed?

Well, that depends.
Is anything he's saying anything that we couldn't have reasonably guessed so far?

bgassassin and I were discussing a similar possibilty earlier in this thread. Since the Wii U is already capable of streaming video, a stereoscopic visor is possible. I doubt they're going to do it, but the possibilities are incredible. Head tracking alone would be relatively easy to implement f you just added IR lights onto a communication headset (like the one that comes with Xbox 360) and an updated sensor bar.

As for a 3D visor, with front facing cameras and head tracking, you could create a real VR experience. You could place AR cards around the room for example. This is also the ideal set up for the Wii remote and nun-chuck imo. They would perfectly compliment each other.

Apparantly Nintendo were doing some R&D in this area as well. Thanks to bgassassin for finding this:

http://kyoto-report.blogspot.com/2011/04/ninja-courier_19.html

That would be the ultimate mid-generation megaton.

Should I keep Iwata in my avatar until the meeting, switch to Reggie for no reason, or just change back to normal?

Oh, and a quarter of 3DS's RAM is OS reserved, so the same might be true of Wii U.

Change it completely or just go back to normal, using Iwata/Reggie in avatars is tacky as fuck and unoriginal as hell.

Are we just eating his posts out of desperation, or maybe there's something else I missed?

I don't trust him (or almost anyone else here for the most part). I don't think we know any more or less in this thread because of his presence. I think he may well be telling us what he can, but I honestly don't feel any more educated.. and it's burning me out seeing his posts quoted a million times. Following this thread is like a big headache sometimes.

Well, RAM is cheapest if bought in powers of 2 and multiples of the same size. So 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB...

He just gave us one piece of slightly bad news and one piece of news that we sort of already had more or less heard from multiple sources (including him). It's not so desperate a thing to trust him here. The more interesting parts of his posts of late have been the insights which he pursues.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Random hype question: Who are we going to see on the stage first during the Press Conference?

A: Reggie
B: Miyamoto (And Bill)
C: Iwata
D: Reggie and Miyamoto (And Bill)
E: Reggie and Iwata
F: Miyamoto and Iwata (And Bill)
G: All 3. (And Bill)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Random hype question: Who are we going to see on the stage first during the Press Conference?

Isn't it always Reggie? And pretty much never Miyamoto or Iwata?

M74

I'm inclined to believe that a head-mounted anything is likely to fail, and even more so as an add-on. It's just annoying, and most people don't want to have something on their head/face to play a game. Headgear-free eye tracking is really the only way they can make that function a selling point.

Miyamoto without Bill
No mean you'd both watch the same netflix movie but be able to video chat via the tablet

Oh, well sure. That should be reasonably possible. Though... weird to do so.

Isn't it always Reggie? And pretty much never Miyamoto or Iwata?

No, they switch it up pretty well, actually.

The fact that he was vetted by Mods as someone who would definitely be in a position to know real info.

I think only lherre vouched for him in the past.

Definitely Miyamoto. It's tradition.

I say Iwata, don't know why.

Soo... 512MB for the OS and 1.5GB for the games. Then they can as the minimize OS usage open up more RAM for improved visuals and gameplay just like in the 3DS.

Kjellson

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm inclined to believe that a head-mounted anything is likely to fail, and even more so as an add-on. It's just annoying, and most people don't want to have something on their head/face to play a game. Headgear-free eye tracking is really the only way they can make that function a selling point.

If you're just talking about adding IR sensors and maybe some motion sensors to a headset, it's not a big deal. Many people are already using them for playing online. I've never used head tracking but that video by Johnny Lee Chung appeared to be a cheap way to implement 3D. Perhaps they could make it so it isn't a requirement and could be toggled off an on in a game?

As far as a 3D visor goes. I doubt it will happen, but it could. The only reason I bring it up is because Wii U already streams video. Nintendo are already using a lot of these features, they're just using the Upad to do it.

I see, thanks. Detective work is certainly helpful, but I do have problems when I read "my sources told me" coming from a guy with an unproven track record, lol.

Please don't get offended, IdeaMan. :)

H: Mario cosplay.

Kard8p3

H: Surprise return of Cammie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom