• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Flying into DC on Sunday, and ChurchKey is tapping the only keg of this in existence outside of the brewery. Worth heading over for? Sounds lovely.

Yes. Even after a trip to Dark Lord Day it is one of my favorite beers of the year, and may still be #1. I only got one half pour of it though so I can't be sure. Also I'm no good at ranking things and normally don't.
The fresh on tap Raspberry Tart at New Glarus is a close one, and didn't get to try much at Dark Lord itself because of tending to sick friend.

Also also, I had no idea that was happening and I live much closer to DC then to Richmond.

What did you get to try? Hellshire VII is really good; did they have the 2016 Special Reserve by chance? One of the best beers I've had; the maple breakfast version of VII was amazing too.
They only had the regular Hellshire VII, and the rep said they're keeping the special reserves for events at their location down in Eugene. It's super tasty, though, and I grabbed a small growler of it to enjoy this weekend.

Also had their Sun Made Raspberry and their Citrafonix IPA. Both really nice on a hot day.

120 or bust.

Same here. Once you go 120, you can never go back.
Yes. Even after a trip to Dark Lord Day it is one of my favorite beers of the year, and may still be #1. I only got one half pour of it though so I can't be sure. Also I'm no good at ranking things and normally don't.
The fresh on tap Raspberry Tart at New Glarus is a close one, and didn't get to try much at Dark Lord itself because of tending to sick friend.

Also also, I had no idea that was happening and I live much closer to DC then to Richmond.

Glad to hear it! They're also tapping their Never Never Forever Forever Gose, which is supposedly quite great. Event starts at 11:30 a.m., and I don't fly in until 4:30 p.m., so I'm hoping they both still be available by about 6, but I'll have to play that by ear.

ShinAmano

Vanilla SF is pretty awesome. Was happy to have some more on tap Tuesday. NNFF is also pretty awesome. I prefer the Again but just a huge raspberry fan.

Vanilla SF is pretty awesome. Was happy to have some more on tap Tuesday. NNFF is also pretty awesome. I prefer the Again but just a huge raspberry fan.

I agree with you about the Again, but it's splitting hairs since both are amazing. I wasn't happy about that since I had a bunch of shit get in my way that prevented me from being there on Tuesday. :c

I'm hoping that there isn't going to be a huge line at Churchkey for this since I really really want to try Vanilla Sleeping Forever again. I have no way of knowing if there will be/how active this is going to be since I've showed up early for things that had no line and seen a line around the block for things that I didn't really care about there before.

Also yeah about raspberry. Why the Raspberry Tart from New Glarus is my favorite of their big bottles when it seems everyone else loves the Belgian Red more. It being the one at the "tour" when I went there was amazing. Strawberry Rhubarb was pretty great too and happy I got to try it this time it was out but still think the 3 big bottles are better/just as good. Another random raspberry standout from my DLD trip was a random can of "Raspberry Crush" from 10 Barrels brewing that I got at a random barcade. Don't get that stuff out here and I liked it a lot, but know it's probably because I was already drinking and it was Raspberry.

Ricker

KdyklMm.jpg

;)

A lot of ''micro brasserie'' are popping up in Quebec for now,which is great ;)

Welp. Finally getting my fill of Vanilla Sleeping Forever. 6 deep at churchkey and was the first peason waiting out front. My favorite thing about churchkey is that they serve it at the proper temperature. Even at the veil itself everything is served cold and you have to wait for their stouts to warm up. It amazes me how many people are ordering other stuff.

Welp. Finally getting my fill of Vanilla Sleeping Forever. 6 deep at churchkey and was the first peason waiting out front. My favorite thing about churchkey is that they serve it at the proper temperature. Even at the veil itself everything is served cold and you have to wait for their stouts to warm up. It amazes me how many people are ordering other stuff.
What're the chances there's still some VSF remaining in about four hours when I fly into Reagan? I'm assuming not very likely.

Veil is trying to kill me. Another Hornswoggler variant comes out this Tuesday. Time for another trip down to Richmond.

What're the chances there's still some VSF remaining in about four hours when I fly into Reagan? I'm assuming not very likely.

Sorry I didn't respond but I have no idea. Hope you had luck.

Learn to let go and accept the fact that you don't need everything. It's really nice.

Am just joking around
mostly
after a day spent drinking, then recovering from, another of their stouts. I skip most of their releases and things around me in general, just recently I have been unusually busy. Hornswoggler is one of the things that I am more then willing to make the trip for. Only downside this time is it looks like rain.

Sorry I didn't respond but I have no idea. Hope you had luck.
No worries! Made it there by 6, and they still had everything, so I was good!

Liked the VSF, but think it was a bit too heavy on the vanilla for me. That Never Never Forever Forever, OTOH, was incredible, and one of the best goses I've ever had.

No worries! Made it there by 6, and they still had everything, so I was good!

Liked the VSF, but think it was a bit too heavy on the vanilla for me. That Never Never Forever Forever, OTOH, was incredible, and one of the best goses I've ever had.

I'm happy you enjoyed it. Their goses are all amazing but it kinda odd saying that since everything I've had from them has been great.

HiResDes

Are either of these Bomb variants worth the ridiculous price Prairie asks for them, been drinking Negro Modelo and High Life to save money, but I'll splurge every once in a while still:

DAhnRK1W0AAWEv_.jpg:large

...They also got Yeti in cans, might have to cop

thabiz

Lol. There's a guy on untapped that will only check in beers only if they are above a certain dollar amount. Can't be seen drinking non hype beer. Loooooooooooooool.

Trevelyan

Banned
Lol. There's a guy on untapped that will only check in beers only if they are above a certain dollar amount. Can't be seen drinking non hype beer. Loooooooooooooool.

How petty. While I love the rare, limited released beer from a small brewery just like everyone else here, you will always find a Sam Adams of some sort as well in my fridge.

Mitch

Banned
I am going to be in Pittsburgh for a couple hours tomorrow. Any bottle shops worth hitting up? All the great breweries are closed until 3-5, so I'm out of luck there.

thabiz

How petty. While I love the rare, limited released beer from a small brewery just like everyone else here, you will always find a Sam Adams of some sort as well in my fridge.

It's pretty pathetic that you have to maintain some sort of image on a beer app of all things.

riotous

Banned
I only do unique check-ins; but it has nothing to do with image, it's a personal obsession over the numbers lining up. I currently have more badges than check-ins and I can't wait for the day they line up again lol.

I enjoy the social aspects but I partly use untappd just to track for my own use; going back and seeing what I thought of a beer or whether I've tried it since I sometimes forget (especially specific vintages.)

thabiz

Yeah unique is fine as maybe you only need to check it in once. Not checking stuff in because it's cheap or not craft or whatever is just sad. It's what's wrong with the craft scene. Far too many people concerned about drinking the right beer to look hip or in the know.

There are a couple guys I follow on Untappd who are like that. I always wonder if they ever drink "regular" beer.

Jarnet87

I grabbed a bottle of Pe-Kan from Pairie, yet to try.

IMO none of the non BA variants of Bomb are worth the extra couple of bucks, but the BA ones sure as hell are. I only grabbed one bottle of Vanilla Noir and dam was that smooth. Wish I had gotten more.

riotous

Banned
I'm the same way. It's not necessarily being snobby, I just only like super good stuff, and can't be bothered with drinking light, flavorless stuff. This week's trip to DC has already been terrific.

EDIT: Except for the two Sam Adams Boston Lagers I was comped by the hotel last night lol.

Yeah just a preference thing for me; mostly about ABV and the experience of sipping on a strong drink. Was previously mainly drinking whiskey before getting back into beer. Something about the quantity of beer gives me headaches vs. the ABV * quantity. I'll get a headache from 4 pilsners before I'd get a headache from half a bottle of Black Tuesday.

That's not really what I was getting at. There's a guy who lives pretty close to me who only drinks Tree House and Hill Farmstead. I can't remember the last time he checked in something that was made on the west coast.

He's a really nice guy, just a bit insane when it comes to trading.

riotous

Banned
Ah yeah that's a whole different thing; I did one beer trade a month ago and it was just to get some Midnight Still since I missed the release. I do get some out of market beers from some of the beer sites. Only do t if they have a bunch of stuff I want since the shipping is expensive.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm in Denver till tomorrow morning and then my wife and I are heading up to a cabin. We're buying beer in the morning and I'd love some recommendations for good local pale ales and IPAs.

Hornswoggler release started great but ended bad. Sure it was raining but was expected. Got in line before it went completely insane and even walked down to Black Heath Meadery. Super happy I did since their release is fucking amazing and I will be going there every time I'm in Richmond now. It's good to finally get into mead when I've been wanting to since I was in Tampa. Day turned when my phone's screen broke and I didn't have it set up to back up or something (a friend just forced my first smart phone on me this year after stealing my old one because they were sick of me using a flip).. Created a ton of stress since I had a bunch of important stuff going on and needed some new contacts/messages. Not to mention a phone and then Tool concert all day yesterday. Stressed caused me to only get 3 hours of sleep before said concert, but doesn't really matter because I powered through, it was awesome, and beer was pretty good as well. :3

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jesus this last years Black Tuesday will put hair on your chest

I've come to the conclusion that I'm allergic to something about the IPA style. I often end up with allergic symptoms after I drink one, especially the DIPAs... stuffy nose, sometimes sneezing, etc. The amount of hops maybe?

Top Bottom