• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Huh. Either I have really bad luck, or I have absolutely no idea how to play this game. I have no money and everyone is stressed out. My healer has fucked off somewhere after I tried to lower her stress and the Stage Coach hasn't deemed me worthy to give me another one after 4 weeks. They really like sending me Abominations though and no one wants to team up with them.

Disgraced

no controller support?
Not yet; perhaps it will added in an update close to the console release.

The art is obviously beautiful but I wish the characters' palette swaps were just a smidge more dramatic. Most of the alternates are too subtle and the diversity is disproportionate—it would be nice if all the characters had notably different hair and skin colors. Additionally, I don't see why, for instance, all Men-At-Arms need a black eyepatch, all Jesters need a white mask, all Grave Robbers need a black hat (this one actually changes shades ever so slightly), and so on.

I dare say they are just far too in love with their default character artwork to motivate mixing it up, though of course it is probably more complicated than that.

Klyka

Banned
How can people say Graverobbers blow? They have some crazy good skills with insane crit chance.

I fucking love my graverobbers, they kick ass.

Falk

that puzzling face
Huh. Either I have really bad luck, or I have absolutely no idea how to play this game. I have no money and everyone is stressed out. My healer has fucked off somewhere after I tried to lower her stress and the Stage Coach hasn't deemed me worthy to give me another one after 4 weeks. They really like sending me Abominations though and no one wants to team up with them.

What's your wagon upgrades like?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What's your wagon upgrades like?

4 people coming through and I can have up to 12 people on my roster. I've literally only been able to make it 7 weeks in so far before I just start over. Everyone is either dead or so stressed out that they're useless.

Disgraced

4 people coming through and I can have up to 12 people on my roster. I've literally only been able to make it 7 weeks in so far before I just start over. Everyone is either dead or so stressed out that they're useless.
I suggest one of two strategies:
  • Use most of your early characters as cannon fodder and focus on upgrading your town.
  • Use your mains but play ultraconservative, abandoning each and every quest once you've earned some decent loot—your goal being the same as the latter strategy—at the cost of a lot more time and stress issues.
This game is a grind.

• Use most of your early characters as cannon fodder and focus on upgrading your town.
  • Use your mains but play ultraconservative, abandoning each and every quest once you've earned some decent loot—your goal being the same as the latter strategy—at the cost of a lot more time and stress issues.
This game is a grind.

Definitely do not do this.

Falk

that puzzling face

Yeah, at this point, I'd recommend you essentially save 8 characters you want to use later, then cycle the last 4 just literally taking whatever the wagon throws at you and sending them out on no-food, no-torch suicide missions to grab as much gold/loot as possible, retreating, and sending them on their merry stressed way to get 4 fresh faces, repeat till you can upgrade your wagon more, while also using the gold to stress-down your main core team(s).

Treat the new recruits as an infinitely renewable resource while you get the rest of your stuff together. Because they are.

Gothos

This game is a grind.

What a stupid strategy, lol. It's not loot game where you'll find some amazing item that will make your paty much more dangerous. And abandoning every quest? LOL. Just play safe, make short runs, use your adventurers wisely - basically, use your brain and the options the game gives you.

Man I'd never do stuff like that. If shit is going that bad I'd just start over. In fact thats what I did with my first run playing the EA. Just having basic knowledge of what to do and being careful can get you a long way in my experience. It won't save everyone of course, but I absolutely never felt a need to send people out to die, then kick the ones unlucky enough to survive.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This game is a grind.

Both strategies are terrible to be honest, and none of them sound like fun.

Buy enough provision, keep in mind which attacks work on which enemies, try to get enough heirlooms to level up your skills, then armor, then weapons.

Gothos

Man I'd never do stuff like that. If shit is going that bad I'd just start over. In fact thats what I did with my first run playing the EA. Just having basic knowledge of what to do and being careful can get you a long way in my experience. It won't save everyone of course, but I absolutely never felt a need to send people out to die, then kick the ones unlucky enough to survive.

Yea, the game gives you quite a lot of rope before you hang yourself :p That's why DD isn't classic roguelike IMHO where you usually start new game so many times. Here you can make come back from a really dire situation. The only way it may not be possible is if you COMPLETELY skip coach upgrades which the game tells you specifically not to do (one of tips during loading screen). It's one the things I love about it.

I'd like to see a feature added that if you do freaking dark runs and constantly get your people killed your pool of candidates from the caravan becomes much less choice and if you do well and keep your people healthy and alive you get better choices.

I mean if you're constantly killing your people, not pulling them out or sending them in unprepared word would spread.

Gothos

And who would spread it? Those dead/insane/drunk/spreading word of God lunatics? Yea, I'm sure everyone would believe them ;)

Madouu

I got 14 adventurers dead but a full roster of veterans, stable gold situation and upgrades at about 66%. I'm just now starting to think about different party compositions and builds, up until now, it has been mostly use whatever I was given to make it through the dungeons.

Nothus

What sort of characters do you have in your roster? You don't necessarily need healers to be able to heal. Quite a lot of the other classes have abilities that allow them to heal themselves or others (Leper, Quartermaster, Arbalest, Abomination etc.)

Remember that the abilities your characters start with are not the full set. You can unlock the rest for very little money and then choose the best ones for the quests you attempt.

Klyka

Banned
Man, they REALLY made a lot of skills on classes way way better than they were last time I played. Proper stress and health management is so much easier now.

Game plays great!

Remember that the abilities your characters start with are not the full set. You can unlock the rest for very little money and then choose the best ones for the quests you attempt.

You can change abilities inside the quests too. Just not in combat, obviously.

Iryx

Killed all the Lv 1 bosses, and I've got most of my 25-man roster up to lvl 3, I want to try and kill a Shambler before going up to lvl 3 quests, but I've only seen two altars and they were both in first few weeks. My only casualties so far is from trying to do dark runs for the first three weeks in the hope of getting more loot, but it didn't work that well with parties of 3-4 lvl 0 heroes.

DrArchon

Ugh, the 2nd tier apprentice bosses are so tough. I had pretty easy time with the Swine King just now (RIP Leper-bro, at least you got me that achievement for biting it from Wilbur), but I had a full wipe against the Sodden Crew. I'm not sure what the do against him. I tried targeting the guy that buffs/heals him, but he got a new one every turn and I couldn't do enough damage to offset his healing, which was like 18 points a turn I think. Maybe I need more AoE attacks. I dunno.

Still getting way too many Houndmasters from the stagecoach, and it's kinda pissing me off. I have 3 already and it seems like every time I come back to the hamlet there's another 3 that want to join up. Fuck off already! Send more Lepers! I don't have any of those any more!

Hey Hey, vets! I need some help understanding some things.

1) A few times when I've completed a quest now and am given the option to go to town automatically there is a chest in the room I've just completed. I've never gotten the chest though, because I take the option to go back home. Should I be opening chest? Then do I have to walk out of dungeon after?

2) Literally the last 9 things/piles/whatever I've found in dungeon have fucked me with disease/traps/etc. I just now noticed there is an option to use an item from inventory when I go through stuff! So I was at a pile of skulls and dragged my shovel over. Well, the game took my entire stack of shovels for some stupid reason then told me it had no effect. What the hell? Then my guy became an alcoholic for looking through skulls. Am I doing this pile searching wrong?

Gothos

Hey Hey, vets! I need some help understanding some things.

1) A few times when I've completed a quest now and am given the option to go to town automatically there is a chest in the room I've just completed. I've never gotten the chest though, because I take the option to go back home. Should I be opening chest? Then do I have to walk out of dungeon after?

2) Literally the last 9 things/piles/whatever I've found in dungeon have fucked me with disease/traps/etc. I just now noticed there is an option to use an item from inventory when I go through stuff! So I was at a pile of skulls and dragged my shovel over. Well, the game took my entire stack of shovels for some stupid reason then told me it had no effect. What the hell? Then my guy became an alcoholic for looking through skulls. Am I doing this pile searching wrong?

1. Nope, after you complete the quest you can leave the dungeon whenever you want, so always open the chest/curio when you complete the quest in the room with it.

2. Every one of those items requires specific item to use, for example closed chest can be opened with shovel. If it says "it has not effect" don't waste other items of the same type :)

1. Nope, after you complete the quest you can leave the dungeon whenever you want, so always open the chest/curio when you complete the quest in the room with it.

2. Every one of those items requires specific item to use, for example closed chest can be opened with shovel. If it says "it has not effect" don't waste other items of the same type :)
Thank you! I'm already feeling like things are going much better knowing that I need stop throwing open every single curio. Especially without using an item. Just been hurting myself over and over.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This game is a grind.
Yea, I'm going to keep grinding at it. I guess I thought that it would ease me in a little bit instead of not being able to use people after the second week.

It's fiiiiiiiiiiine
God this made me laugh!

Yeah, at this point, I'd recommend you essentially save 8 characters you want to use later, then cycle the last 4 just literally taking whatever the wagon throws at you and sending them out on no-food, no-torch suicide missions to grab as much gold/loot as possible, retreating, and sending them on their merry stressed way to get 4 fresh faces, repeat till you can upgrade your wagon more, while also using the gold to stress-down your main core team(s).

Treat the new recruits as an infinitely renewable resource while you get the rest of your stuff together. Because they are.
Thanks for the tip! I guess I'm not really used to treating everyone as disposable so early in the game. I need to adjust how I think about the characters and need to be willing to drop them if they are too problematic.

What sort of characters do you have in your roster? You don't necessarily need healers to be able to heal. Quite a lot of the other classes have abilities that allow them to heal themselves or others (Leper, Quartermaster, Arbalest, Abomination etc.)

Those are good tips. I suppose I was focusing on having a healer because of the handy group heal. I'll pay more attention to single unit heals that some of these classes have!

I'll get this figured out. I'm having a great time even though I haven't made it too far in yet!

Fantastapotamus

Those are good tips. I suppose I was focusing on having a healer because of the handy group heal. I'll pay more attention to single unit heals that some of these classes have!

I'll get this figured out. I'm having a great time even though I haven't made it too far in yet!

Group heal is actually not THAT usefull because you only heal very little. It's usually better to do a big heal on one character. Of course there are times when a group heal can be super important. Like when an that FUCKING ASSHOLE COLLECTOR brings everybody to Death's Door but then my Crusader was all like "I'm super insane, don't heal me LOL" and then just fucking dies and...sorry, what were we talking about?

Group heal is actually not THAT usefull because you only heal very little. It's usually better to do a big heal on one character. Of course there are times when a group heal can be super important. Like when an that FUCKING ASSHOLE COLLECTOR brings everybody to Death's Door but then my Crusader was all like "I'm super insane, don't heal me LOL" and then just fucking dies and...sorry, what were we talking about?

Actually, I've found the opposite; unless one particular character is MUCH more damaged than the others, it's best to do a group heal. Just consider the numbers: At starting levels (and this scales), regular heal does... what, an average of 3? It's 2-4? And the group heal gives 1-2 for everybody, so an average of 6 per cast, taken as a whole.

Occultist is a dynamite single target healer, that 1-8 heal*... but for consistent heals, the Vestal's group one can't be beat. It lets you offload party healing on one character, freeing the others up.

Also, Vestal has Judement, which heals a guaranteed 3, PLUS decent damage! That's some good shit.

*Pay no attention to the bleed, it's a really low chance.

Fantastapotamus

Actually, I've found the opposite; unless one particular character is MUCH more damaged than the others, it's best to do a group heal. Just consider the numbers: At starting levels (and this scales), regular heal does... what, an average of 3? It's 2-4? And the group heal gives 1-2 for everybody, so an average of 6 per cast, taken as a whole.

Occultist is a dynamite single target healer, that 1-8 heal*... but for consistent heals, the Vestal's group one can't be beat. It lets you offload party healing on one character, freeing the others up.

Also, Vestal has Judement, which heals a guaranteed 3, PLUS decent damage! That's some good shit.

*Pay no attention to the bleed, it's a really low chance.

Yeah, I guess I was talking more about the mid game when a single heal does at least 6-8 and healing 3 points is almost useless. (Level 3 of Groupheal is still just 2-3 heal IIRC)

Occultist is a great healer, though I'm not sure if Level 2 is really worth it? It ups the healing from 0-13 to 0-16 but the bleeding does now 6 damage now instead of 3. Not sure if that's worth it.

Yeah, I guess I was talking more about the mid game when a single heal does at least 6-8 and healing 3 points is almost useless. (Level 3 of Groupheal is still just 2-3 heal IIRC)

Occultist is a great healer, though I'm not sure if Level 2 is really worth it? It ups the healing from 0-13 to 0-16 but the bleeding does now 6 damage now instead of 3. Not sure if that's worth it.

Yikes, yeah. That's a pretty terrible tradeoff.

gryvan

Grave robbers can have the same camping ability. I remember using it once and having a leper lose 3 diseases right before a boss fight. Probably saved my ass.

But yeah, probably better to bring along a plague doctor for that, because grave robbers kinda blow most of the time.

Isn't grave robber's camping skill for diseases only self? At least last I checked...I might have to check it again

When your occultist gets a crit heal for 36 that tops off a dude that was nearly dead.
lawd.png

I very rarely, ever get the bleed side effect either. Occultist is feast or famine, you either get a heal for 1 or 2, or some insane heal.

I get that Champion missions are supposed to be hard, but this is pretty ridiculous. I have abandoned the last 4 champion level runs in the Cove. It's not even the enemy difficulty, but the sheer utter frequency of enemy encounters there is ridiculous. I have not made any progress all afternoon since I keep breaking even on these stupid Cove runs and nobody is getting an XP.

kionedrik

I've come to the conclusion that I hate collectors.

It may have something to do with the fight I had with one that lasted 26 rounds due to the fact that he kept spamming his minions and his vestal and MAA kept protecting him. Also wtf is the logic behind leaching 5hp from a guy and healing 3x that?

I get that Champion missions are supposed to be hard, but this is pretty ridiculous. I have abandoned the last 4 champion level runs in the Cove. It's not even the enemy difficulty, but the sheer utter frequency of enemy encounters there is ridiculous. I have not made any progress all afternoon since I keep breaking even on these stupid Cove runs and nobody is getting an XP.

I've only managed to down one champion boss so far and that's the siren. I still lost two characters and went in with a full squad of lvl 6 heroes.

Are your weapons and armor maxed out? Once you get a few lvl 6 guys it gets a bit easier.

mr2xxx

Banned
Is it worth it to keep those characters that people don't want to party with? I have some zombie looking dude that mutates I guess but all the sterotypical "good" characters refuse to party with him. I could use other characters but it makes it a hassle.

Nothus

Dumb question, position 1-4 goes right to left correct? So 1 is the far right and 4 is the back.

Correct. Position 1 is the person at the 'front' of the party as you walk and fight enemies. Position 4 is the person furthest away from the enemies.

Is it worth it to keep those characters that people don't want to party with? I have some zombie looking dude that mutates I guess but all the sterotypical "good" characters refuse to party with him. I could use other characters but it makes it a hassle.

As far as I can tell, the only characters who won't team up with the abomination are the deeply religious ones (Leper, Vestal, Crusader). So you can still form a well balanced party of healers (Occultist) and strength (Hellion, Man at Arms etc) who are more than happy to team up with him.

Pro tip: Take a jester with you as you level up your abomination so that his stress heal can counter the abomination's transforming stress damage.

I like to pair him with a man at arms for tanking and a occulist for healing, pretty much any damage dealer should be willing to work with him as well(unless they have a religious trait maybe?). His human form has a very nice stun and 2 target poison isn't to bad either. Of course transforming lets him pump out tons of damage, so as long as you can a manage the stress he can be very useful.

DrArchon

I'm starting to feel that having a Man-at-Arms go into riposte mode is a total waste of time. Every time I do it, he just ends up hitting one guy for 3 damage or so and I watch as all the enemies go back to ganging up on my squishy supports. Marked definitely doesn't aggro them as well as I thought it would (unless they're the ones marking people lol).

Abominations are really powerful, so that's one of their downsides on top of stressing out the rest of the party. If you team one of them up with non-religious guys he can be a real powerhouse because Abominations are fast, hit hard, and can be quite tanky thanks to their self-heal ability.

Best partners I've found are Occultists for crazy healing and Jesters for stress relief. Also, there's a very rare trinket that reduces the stress teammates suffer from watching him transform by 25% and reduces the stress he gets while transformed by 25%. Grab that if you can.

Disgraced

Yea, I'm going to keep grinding at it. I guess I thought that it would ease me in a little bit instead of not being able to use people after the second week.

:) For sure. This game takes some getting used to. I think it's worth it.
I'd like to see a feature added that if you do freaking dark runs and constantly get your people killed your pool of candidates from the caravan becomes much less choice and if you do well and keep your people healthy and alive you get better choices.

I mean if you're constantly killing your people, not pulling them out or sending them in unprepared word would spread.
That could be cool, but it might be hard to balance it. You might end up in an unfair, hardly recoverable scenario where you had a losing streak just due to back luck, only for most of your new recruits to be shit.

It could be neat if the Occultist had a limited resurrect ability for the characters you really loved and/or developed a long way. The cost could be them coming back with a handful of very detrimental quirks and something like a "Feral" affliction, where they're completely uncooperative—attacking everything and anything—including themselves and the party—until they're properly treated.

You know what is a surprisingly good team?

All Occultists.

What a stupid strategy, lol. It's not loot game where you'll find some amazing item that will make your paty much more dangerous. And abandoning every quest? LOL. Just play safe, make short runs, use your adventurers wisely - basically, use your brain and the options the game gives you.

It's a legit strategy.

I use it.

Keep some cannon fodder spaces open on your roster and switch up your playstyle as needed.

zer0das

Banned

Yes. Try an abomination with a jester (with stress heal) and an occultist, plus whatever else you want to fill with... abominations shred through enemies pretty quickly, rake hits 2 enemies and it has a self-stacking buff that makes the damage quite high even on non-crits. They can also heal themselves to a degree.

It is actually quite manageable to even run two abominations if you have an occultist and a jester. Just have to keep stress healing.

BeesEight

Thanks for the tip! I guess I'm not really used to treating everyone as disposable so early in the game. I need to adjust how I think about the characters and need to be willing to drop them if they are too problematic.

The one thing I've noticed is that stress treatment is really not worth it. At least in the early levels it's not when your heroes are not leveled or upgraded. My first attempt at the game I got about eight weeks before going broke trying to keep everyone treated after runs. I tried dark runs but found them more of a waste of time than taking rookies and forcing them to finish apprentice level quests then dismissing them if they return with a bar full of stress.

I've noticed that heroes seem to recover a marginal amount of stress in town if they aren't in treatment. So I try and carry four less than important heroes through dungeons for loot while letting my core group recuperate from their trips. And hey, if they live up to level three I might actually start caring about those expendables.

Klyka

Banned
The one thing I've noticed is that stress treatment is really not worth it. At least in the early levels it's not when your heroes are not leveled or upgraded. My first attempt at the game I got about eight weeks before going broke trying to keep everyone treated after runs. I tried dark runs but found them more of a waste of time than taking rookies and forcing them to finish apprentice level quests then dismissing them if they return with a bar full of stress.

I've noticed that heroes seem to recover a marginal amount of stress in town if they aren't in treatment. So I try and carry four less than important heroes through dungeons for loot while letting my core group recuperate from their trips. And hey, if they live up to level three I might actually start caring about those expendables.

You won't need a lot of money for stress healing if you do stress healing inside the actual missions.
Crusaders for example have a fantastic stress heal, as do jesters. A lot of classes even have a stress heal for themselves.
If you build around that,you can very easily keep your stress down, even against the skeletons or the cultists, who just LOVE stress damage
I often put guys with medium stress levels in my party just to focus on getting their stress down. Only when stress is high AND it is a character who is worth it, will I spend money on them. Otherwise I just throw em out.

BeesEight

You won't need a lot of money for stress healing if you do stress healing inside the actual missions.
Crusaders for example have a fantastic stress heal, as do jesters. A lot of classes even have a stress heal for themselves.
If you build around that,you can very easily keep your stress down, even against the skeletons or the cultists, who just LOVE stress damage
I often put guys with medium stress levels in my party just to focus on getting their stress down. Only when stress is high AND it is a character who is worth it, will I spend money on them. Otherwise I just throw em out.

Ha, Jesters and Crusaders are the two classes Darkest Dungeon had decided to make the rarest. I've just reached week 52 and had two Crusaders and three Jesters in total.

I have started using my Jester as stress therapy, though. He's almost level three unfortunately so my rookies are soon to be out of luck. I'll have to take a look at my sole crusader. I didn't even know he could stress heal.

Just downed the Champion Necromancer Lord... My graverobber was putting in work with her blight attacks. Got pretty rough when the asshole spawned one of those giant skeles with a mace.

Glad I was able to finish it with my team alive.. Still a tough fight with that asshole stress aoe attack that hits the whole group. Luckily my leper went stalwart.

33c.png

Top Bottom