• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Azuran

Banned
Yeah, there's going to be new a pay tier introduced for a "Core player". Presumably Omar Gonzalez will be moved to that tier and Gio will be brought in as a DP.

I know why did they it, but introducing new rules midway through the season just makes MLS look bush league. Especially when they're used to benefit the Galaxy yet again.

Blue Lou

Some breaking news:

CONCACAF and Traffic Sports USA End Corporate Partnership Agency Relationship

Existing contracts to be assigned to CONCACAF effective today

Miami (Tuesday, July 7, 2015) - The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) and Traffic Sports USA announced today that their Corporate Partnership Agency relationship will end as of today. The mutual decision was reached following discussions between both organizations and will have no effect on CONCACAF’s ability to fulfill its existing obligations to sponsors or to stage future tournaments.

In a statement, CONCACAF said: “CONCACAF and Traffic Sports USA have decided to part ways and dissolve their commercial rights agreement. Nonetheless, CONCACAF remains committed to organizing and executing best-in-class competitions for our member associations, fans, players, coaches, and sponsors, including the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup.”

CONCACAF will service existing sponsorships through its in-house sales and marketing team. The process for selecting commercial rights partners and vendors in the future is currently being evaluated by CONCACAF’s Special Committee as it reviews the Confederation’s business operations.

The agreement with Traffic Sports USA that has been terminated included rights to the next four editions of the biennial Gold Cup (2015, 2017, 2019, 2021), as well as seven additional seasons of the annual Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League, from the 2015/16 edition through the 2021/22 tournament. It also incorporated rights to all other events organized by the Confederation, such as youth tournaments, Olympic qualifiers, and Futsal.

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 12m12 minutes ago
A (happy) tearful Lauren Holiday just confirmed she's retiring from USWNT at 27. Says has given last 10 years to national team. Family now.

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 6m6 minutes ago
Lauren Holiday said she'd continue playing club ball with KC this season.

there it is

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know why did they it, but introducing new rules midway through the season just makes MLS look bush league. Especially when they're used to benefit the Galaxy yet again.

They should have implemented the rule prior to the season. Galaxy still would have gotten Dos Santos, but at least other teams could have used it.

Some breaking news:

Took long enough.

xbhaskarx

They should have implemented the rule prior to the season. Galaxy still would have gotten Dos Santos, but at least other teams could have used it.

Why can't other teams use it this summer like the Galaxy are doing?
And it's not like the other teams are just finding out about it now, if it's just being created that means they've known it was coming for a while. These sorts of rules aren't created by the league office and handed down with no warning, the teams are the ones behind it, determining exactly how it will work, voting on it, etc.

Cystm

https://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/EDS-news/2015/July/Angelino-eager-to-learn-from-NYCFC-legends/1435935516

Nice little interview with Angelino -- can't wait to see him play. He's going to be at a press conference today with Iraola and Lampard at 3:30 EST.

"Imagine being an 18-year old footballer and packing your bags to go to New York for the first time where you’ll call Frank Lampard, Andrea Pirlo and David Villa teammates."

That says it all right there.

there it is

She was an amazing USWNT MF/FW. I gotta imagine it's tough to maintain that level of commitment to the USWNT and her family. Going to miss her presence on the team for sure.

That said,

She will return to Kansas City in time for the home game against Carli Lloyd, Meghan Klingenberg, Morgan Brian and the Houston Dash on Wednesday, July 15.

xbhaskarx

http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/20...urgen-klinsmann-has-advanced-usmnts-attack-go

USMNT-goals-under-Klinsmann.jpg

Here we see the lackluster start, the rampant 2013 Gold Cup run, and historic 12 game win streak, followed by the struggles of late 2014 and early 2015, then put out of mind by a recent rich vein of form.
The US will enter the 2015 Gold Cup having been held scoreless only once in their last 21 games and averaging nearly two goals a game during that span.

Quakes....

xbhaskarx

I never trust these segments. It's so easy to do selective editing.

Yeah they're pretty pointless. And bringing in a Gerrard (or Lampard) is clearly a move to lure some existing soccer fans into watching MLS, not to get random people on Hollywood Blvd to watch MLS.

daoster

#USMNT XI vs. Honduras: Guzan, Chandler, Alvarado, Brooks, Johnson, Beckerman, Yedlin, Zardes, Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore

Watching the replay...

...is it just me or Yeldlin rarely completes more than 30% of his passes? He's pure speed but his timing is just gawd awful. I'd say Zardes does a far better job of connecting with other players and he has pace as well.

Ugly win today.

It was just ugly all around. It didn't help that Honduras was throwing their weight around with no recourse whatsoever. One of their players got a yellow late but there were plenty more instances they could've been booked.

Meier

I will say this, I've been impressed by Zardes in the past few games. I recently had described him as "not good enough" when he had flubbed some chances prior to the game he got his first goal but he's stepped it up and looks pretty dangerous out there on the wing. I still don't think he'll ever be a striker, but his pace and ability to get to the end line is impressive.

Esch

Banned
I will say this, I've been impressed by Zardes in the past few games. I recently had described him as "not good enough" when he had flubbed some chances prior to the game he got his first goal but he's stepped it up and looks pretty dangerous out there on the wing. I still don't think he'll ever be a striker, but his pace and ability to get to the end line is impressive.

I agree. People seem to always want him subbed out, but I really dig his short passing, his push to the final third, and his positioning. I think he has the right 'brain' and sense of space to be a pretty good player.

Too bad that end product hasn't really manifested yet (for USMNT)

xbhaskarx

NTC Invitational roster

US Under-18 national team head coach Javier Perez has called up 20 players to compete in a three-team tournament with Uruguay and the Czech Republic, to be held at StubHub Center in Carson, California, from July 11-15.

The roster includes four MLS professionals and nine players from MLS academies.

US NATIONAL TEAM U-18 ROSTER:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Jonathan Klinsmann (Irvine Strikers; Newport Beach, Calif.), J.T. Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes; Alamo, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (6): Marcello Borges (New York Red Bulls Academy; Kearny, N.J.), Kyle Duncan (New York Red Bulls Academy; Brooklyn, N.Y.), Malcolm Jones (LA Galaxy Academy; Chino Hills, Calif.), Andrew Lombard (New York Red Bulls Academy; Montclair, N.J.), Pablo Pelaez (San Diego Surf; San Diego, Calif.), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire academy; Bolingbrook, Ill.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Cam Lindley (Chicago Fire Academy; Carmel, Ind.), James Murphy (PDA; Scotch Plains, N.J.), Emmanuel Sabbi (Chicago Magic; Libertyville, Ill.), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake; Park City, Utah), Ben Swanson (Columbus Crew SC; Grove City, Ohio), Jackson Yueill (Minnesota Thunder; Bloomington, Minn.)

FORWARDS (6): Mukwelle Akale (Villarreal CF; Minneapolis, Minn), Coy Craft (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas), Sebastian Elney (Philadelphia Union Academy; Boca Raton, Fla.), Christian Lucatero (Houston Dynamo Academy; Pasadena, Texas), Victor Mansaray (Seattle Sounders; Des Moines, Wash.), Haji Wright (New York Cosmos; Los Angeles, Calif.)

gutshot

xbhaskarx

City to pay $1.5M for World Cup parade as sponsor funds dry up
Big business has ponied up a mere $450,000 — well short of the $2 million price tag — to pay for Friday’s ticker-tape parade in Manhattan, officials revealed Wednesday.

Major League Soccer, Nike, Mondelēz foods and Electronic Arts are among the early sponsors for the downtown party, but those companies have been shockingly alone in backing a team that drew the most TV viewers for any soccer game in US history on Sunday.

NYRB will have a float too. MLS is one of the few businesses stepping up to sponsor the USWNT parade, but obviously soccer fans on the internet shouldn't let that stop them from complaining about everything....

xbhaskarx

Backing it is one thing. That'd be nice. However, there's no need for either to have a float. It feels like it's taking away from who the parade is for.

Sponsorship usually means you get something in return. Why do jersey sponsors insist on having their company logos on the jersey?
Plenty of other parade sponsors have had floats, why shouldn't MLS have floats for their NY area teams in a NY parade? NWSL and their NY area team Sky Blue FC will also have floats.

We shouldnt question the lack of sponsorships but the outrageous cost.

Confetti and setting up metal barriers does not cost $2m

Really? $2 million in the middle of Manhattan is practically nothing.

Top Bottom