• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.
GcM66w8.jpg

Playing Mercenary Kings now, which has been sitting on my backlog for years.

Fun 2D action shooter with a ton of customization options. I'm up to the 3rd rank missions now and haven't customized a single thing yet...partly because the game has been easy enough where I never had to.

I really dig the art style (same artist behind Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Paul Robertson) and the gameplay is solid enough in short bursts. The level designs and missions get super repetitive though.

I've hit a point where I'm kind of bored with it. I'll probably just play around with upgrading the weapons, even though the basic one is still good enough to get through missions. Enjoyed the few hours I've put into it, but I don't really see myself caring enough to see it completely through.

Anyone have thoughts on this game?

zkylon

zkylewd
GcM66w8.jpg

Fun 2D action shooter with a ton of customization options. I'm up to the 3rd rank missions now and haven't customized a single thing yet...partly because the game has been easy enough where I never had to.

I really dig the art style (same artist behind Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Paul Robertson) and the gameplay is solid enough in short bursts. The level designs and missions get super repetitive though.

I've hit a point where I'm kind of bored with it. I'll probably just play around with upgrading the weapons, even though the basic one is still good enough to get through missions. Enjoyed the few hours I've put into it, but I don't really see myself caring enough to see it completely through.

i liked it a lot but yeah, it's super repetitive. It's fun to unlock new guns tho. that's the thing that was missing from the reward loop in god eater, whenever you upgraded a weapon it never felt functionally different, just higher numbers

mercenary kings is also quite fun to play on coop. i played it with 3 other ppl and it was great

Lain

Yeah, I can imagine how many copies a $60 indie game would sell.

I guess depending on the hype generated and the level of lies put forth, an indie at 60$ can sell a lot. Just look at No Man's Sky.

To me though, indies aren't too cheap. Indies just rush too soon toward bundles. Unless an indie is something I must play right now, I relegate most of them to bundle purchases because it won't be too long before they'll be in some cheap bundle.

zkylon

zkylewd
i've been saying this for a while, i don't see a real reason doom or dark souls costs $60 and hollow knight doesn't. or undertale, or inside, or whatever

but i kind of feel like AAA games are generally too pricey and indie games are too cheap, so i think like a $40 average would be ideal in my mind

I like my cheap indie games. For me it's much easier to impulse buy a 7-9€ game.
i get what you mean, but this feels kind of problematic

like the idea that indies are competing for your impulse buy instead of a conscious buy is weird. like you put the choice of buying hollow knight next to discounted nier 2 or whatever for no reason other than money

i see myself doing this all the time and it feels real icky

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i've been saying this for a while, i don't see a real reason doom or dark souls costs $60 and hollow knight doesn't. or undertale, or inside, or whatever

but i kind of feel like AAA games are generally too pricey and indie games are too cheap, so i think like a $40 average would be ideal in my mind

i get what you mean, but this feels kind of problematic

like the idea that indies are competing for your impulse buy instead of a conscious buy is weird. like you put the choice of buying hollow knight next to discounted nier 2 or whatever for no reason other than money

i see myself doing this all the time and it feels real icky

when every indie game is a hollow knight, then go ahead and charge full prices for them.

Also, ironically, Hollow Knight was cheaper than the average indie game these days.

Madventure

Everyone talking about the price of games and I just wait like 3 years later for it to be like 5 dollars anyways. I don't even remember the last time I paid full price for anything

You can get the Witcher for like a Nickel, and the Witcher 2 for like two nickels assuming you want to pay for it. Otherwise they're literally just throwing it at you for free and that's just a game I can think of at the top of my head and I paid 70? dollars for the super deluxe collectors edition from GOG for the Witcher 2 when it was originally announced

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What are some exmaples of that?

examples of what?

Hollow Knight was $15. Most indie games are $20. I mean the higher profile indie releases obviously, not the fodder trash that is dumped on steam daily. Off the top of my head, games released around the same time

Owlboy $25
Shantae (both the recent ones) $20
Night in the Woods $20
Furi is $20 now but wasnt it $30 at the time?

recently

Rez $20
Pyre $20

I mean, I dont even know why you are asking for examples when "$20 is the new $15" is something we have said in this thread countless times.

Tizoc

examples of what?

Hollow Knight was $15. Most indie games are $20. I mean the higher profile indie releases obviously, not the fodder trash that is dumped on steam daily.
Sorry i meant
What are indie games that released during this year at least that u would say appear overpriced for their value or content

Rhaknar

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite looks terrible :(

it doesnt, but you are in your right to think (or at least say) so.

Sorry i meant
What are indie games that released during this year at least that u would say appear overpriced for their value or content

value is such a personal thing that I can't really anwser that for you. I've said many times that I consider lenght very important these days, at least if im outright buying a game (as opposed to getting it in a bundle)

Example: I recently played The Final Station. I loved it. But I finished it in 4 hours. If I hadnt gotten it from a bundle, I wouldnt have played it. Im not spending 15€ on a 4 hour game.

Also, the bundle factor has compeltely shattered what a game is worth or not as Lain said earlier, unless you really really want it day 1.

Hey guys, any program (preferably free) where I can test a GPU card and post its results to see if it's in working condition? Planning to sell my old GPU for a new one I just got.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Oh good, Raiden 5: Director's Cut will be out on the 5th of October.

Hey guys, any program (preferably free) where I can test a GPU card and post its results to see if it's in working condition? Planning to sell my old GPU for a new one I just got.

Depending on the age of it (don't use it if it's more than four years old), stress test with Furmark will tell you if it's able to handle everything.

3D Mark to benchmark and then compare those numbers to standard.

GPU-Z that will give you a lot of information on the card, verify PCI-E configurations, validate results, and you can compare when you see to other people's numbers on places like their own forums or Tom's Hardware or maybe in the "build me a PC" thread here on GAF.

GcM66w8.jpg

The only PS4 game I deleted within 10 minutes, along with Contrast. Pure PS+ trash piles

How do you fuck up Contra X Monster Hunter so bad? By having horrible mechanics. They couldn't even get platforming right, it feels so sloppy. Don't even get me started on the enemy respawns lol

zkylon

zkylewd
i do think indies are being smarter and starting to charge more reasonable prices for their games

i've bought some $10 games that felt like i was robbing the devs

i'm glad that 20-30 is becoming the norm, that feels a lot healthier

indies shouldn't compete with AAA on price, they should compete by delivering riskier, experimental, weirder, emotional-er, niche-er, games that you can't spend a AAA budget on and that's just as value as what AAA does

when every indie game is a hollow knight, then go ahead and charge full prices for them.

Also, ironically, Hollow Knight was cheaper than the average indie game these days.
i mean, same goes for AAA doesn't it?

i paid $60 for dishonored 2 and that garbage barely works

Rhaknar

i mean, same goes for AAA doesn't it?

i paid $60 for dishonored 2 and that garbage barely works

I did not say it didnt, and I rarely buy triple A games also. Certainly not 5 hour ones.

A videogame costs 10% of the average monthly income where I live. Think about that for a second.

zkylon

zkylewd
I did not say it didnt, and I rarely buy triple A games also. Certainly not 5 hour ones.

A videogame costs 10% of the average monthly income where I live. Think about that for a second.
idk why you assume that's not the case where i live lol

Rhaknar

idk why you assume that's not the case where i live lol

again, where am I assuming that? I know for a fact that it is like that where you live.

Why are you reading shit into what im typing? lol

cyba89

I only buy Indie games for 800 Microsoft points. But nowadays more and more devs dare to charge 1200 Microsoft points for their cheap 2D retro style platformers.

zkylon

zkylewd
is microsoft points still a thing?

again, where am I assuming that? I know for a fact that it is like that where you live.

Why are you reading shit into what im typing? lol

cos that's the way you write

when you say "think about that for a second" you're stating i haven't thought about that...

btw of course i think all companies should do regional pricing. ppl that can afford more should pay more and viceversa, obv

Well you are luck because in here average incoming 340$ and AAA game is 60$, do the math.

So easy to talking for some people, probably in their country minimum wage is 1500$.

I can't understand some developers/publishers don't agree with Steam regional price politicy, i mean you can earn some moneys from poor countries if you do regionel prices, at least better than nothing. :/

Rhaknar

is microsoft points still a thing?

cos that's the way you write

when you say "think about that for a second" you're stating i haven't thought about that...

btw of course i think all companies should do regional pricing. ppl that can afford more should pay more and viceversa, obv

the "think about that" was a general statement, not for you, my bad.

btw, Console games are still more expensive than PC games, even if the differences arent as high anymore. A new triple A third party game is 70€ (as opposed to 60 max on PC), Ive noticed first party games are usually 60€ now on consoles, at least that.

zkylon

zkylewd
the "think about that" was a general statement, not for you, my bad.

btw, Console games are still more expensive than PC games, even if the differences arent as high anymore. A new triple A third party game is 70€ (as opposed to 60 max on PC), Ive noticed first party games are usually 60€ now on consoles, at least that.
yeah the 10% thing was taking consoles (avg. new game is like $80 here?), which also go for like $550

digital democratizes a lot of those numbers, as well as regional pricing on sites like nuuvem, but it's still not enough

and when ps3/ps4 got too hard to pirate, people just stopped buying games (well, except fifa lol)

Just buy your games off the truck. The guy there is pretty nice.
that's probably all the third world, tho i generally bought my pirated games off actual stores that also sold consoles and shit

Hektor

Since we are talking about indies, i bothered to make a totally random list of awesome indies to look forward to, most of which won't cost you more than 4 Döner Kebabs

An Adventure Game about a Gothgirl that's cutting up dead people, if that isn't your fetish i feel sorry for you.

An oldschool FRPG (That's like a JRPG but with croissants and weird hats) with shiny graphics and wonderful character art

For when you are so lazy that you'd rather play a videogame about cooking instead of actually cooking.

A fantasy based on reality, in which the cops don't shoot first

The long awaited sequel to Papers, Please. Glory to Arstotzka

Feel free to count

Like Dark Souls, just not.

BORN TO RUIN / GAME IS A FUCK / KILL EM ALL 2017 / HE'S RUINMAN / 410,757,864,530 DEAD ROBOCOPS

More like Indievisible am i rite

No achievements

"Into the Breach from the makers of FTL" is a weird name, but it is what it is. Featuring Chris "please write me a baby" Avellone

If you can find her, please bring her back

The german word for pus, but unlike it it will never come out

2 cups, 1 PC, local coop only

"Am i the only one who misread it as "Furries""

An Edutainment game for Trump supporters in alt-hisotry germany.
Features a city called Lustgrotte. Please google while at work.

Honestly to lazy to make a Simba joke

Based on a twitter thread written in response to Jodie Whittakers casting

Pony Island 2*

*Pony and Island not included

Inspired by one of Jontron's surreal nightmares, train yourself in eugenics and white genocide

Like Max payne but without Max, so it's basically Min Payne.

In the role of the captain, relieve the last day of the Costa Concordia.

In a world where Katana supply has run low, one nice guy and his Dakimakura sidekick "mugi-chan" are on their quest to find the most gentlemanly of Katana's.

No golem, no horror, just fragging in the 90's. Have your Crystal Pepsi ready

In case you haven't had enough yet

In which you'll spend more time coloring your units than ever playing

That's what the girls call it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The prequel to "Spilled LEGO"

Both sides are at fault tbh

Hello Neighbor, i'm dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom