• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never

PittaGAF

AT LAST.

WHAT A YEAR.

It's all sorted for me till 2018.
Warhammer Quest End of Times, Darkest Dungeon, Stasis.

awp69

I pretty much do all of my gaming now on my phone or consoles so that’s the primary reason I won’t be double dipping on any iPad only ports.

My iPad Mini 2 has gathered dust lately. Doesn’t perform as well as it used to. And honestly have been happy enough with my 6S+ for mobile gaming (and too much time on my XB1/PS4 when I’m not mobile).

I pretty much do all of my gaming now on my phone or consoles so that’s the primary reason I won’t be double dipping on any iPad only ports.

My iPad Mini 2 has gathered dust lately. Doesn’t perform as well as it used to. And honestly have been happy enough with my 6S+ for mobile gaming (and too much time on my XB1/PS4 when I’m not mobile).
I admittedly also don't game much on my iPad anymore.

But I'll make an exception for Darkest Dungeon.

Ketch

I think Ketch's head just exploded.

giphy.gif

Ahhhhhhh

bonesquad

I'm clearly in the minority, but so far this year iOS games were decent for my tastes. There are some I enjoyed like Red's Kingdom, Ticket to Earth, and Age of Rivals. But no real standouts. Admittedly I played the fantastic Oxenfree last year on PC.

But I've never played Darkest Dungeon. Maybe this is what I was waiting for... at least it gives me a reason to pull out my iPad again (I use my iphone plus mostly these days).

Pachimari

I haven't found a single iOS release interesting the last few months. Which is pretty unusual for me. Maybe I'm just going through a period of not being in the mood for anything.

awp69

Anyone else playing Pigeon Wings? Early in but it’s pretty fun! Level based flyer/shmup with tilt controls for altitude. Honestly wasn’t sure about tilt control but it works perfectly and it’s really well designed, adding new twists to the levels as you progress.

Apparently the dev will be adding touch controls at some point.

Matt Frost

Anyone else playing Pigeon Wings? Early in but it’s pretty fun! Level based flyer/shmup with tilt controls for altitude. Honestly wasn’t sure about tilt control but it works perfectly and it’s really well designed, adding new twists to the levels as you progress.

Apparently the dev will be adding touch controls at some point.

Looks good, but right now im deciding to buy or not to buy Arkanoid vs Space Invaders...

I play all genres really, don't feel like I have a favorite one or three.
When I was growing bored of mobile games back in February I went and tried a few genres I normally stayed away from.

That was when I got addicted to Egg inc. and Plants vs. Zombies Heroes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Another quick update on an oldie (but goodie) - Red's Kingdom!

I finished the second island (the Monk place). I have one more Golden Acorn to acquire. I've done myself well by not stressing about missing a chest or a few acorns. It's made the experience quite enjoyable! I definitely fell in love with this game. Probably going to have it wrapped up tomorrow sometime and will have clocked just over 4 hours. Absolutely worth the price of entry.

Matt Frost

Cat Quest looks really tempting... lets see what else comes out tonight and... if nothing else then Arkanoid vs Space Invaders and Cat Quest will be mine

BTA

I saw Cat Quest at TGS last year and it seemed neat; dunno how it actually is in practice, though.

awp69

Only played a bit but Cat Quest is just so darn cute. It’s admittedly a very casual action RPG but polished and well thought out and...

...did I mention how adorable it is?

What kind of games do you like to play?

Two of my favorite games of all time are Street Fighter 3 Third Strike and Tetris the Grandmaster so I am a big fan of arcade games/games with high skill ceilings. But honestly I'll play anything as long as it's fun. Just kinda overwhelmed with all the options I have and don't want to lose the money.

awp69

All of the Corpse Party titles are on sale.

Just decided to grab the first one (on sale for $3.99 from $17.99) as I’ve never played them before and thought I’d give one a shot for that price. Oh, and at least the first one is iOS 11 compatible so I imagine the others are as well.

Matt Frost

screen696x696.jpeg

Been playing Snake Towers by Set Snail and if you liked Snake you should check it out. Free with IAP to remove ads. You find different cosmetic parts scattered in the game to decorate your snake. Is like Snake but instead being confined in one room the game is designed like a laberynth going from one room to another, then to shake things up the are different rooms here and there have different rules like inverted controls. There are power ups along the rooms like magnet, shield,... and all while collecting the parts that will make you grow and let you acces the next room. Controlled by swiping up down left and right. Very easy. Is a very entertaining piece of arcade blyss specially recommended if you like Snake or games in short bursts. I love it.

Link: https://appsto.re/es/Irnykb.i

PittaGAF

Sorry to ask again but I can't for the life of me find the original post nor rember how I did it when I tried.

How do you change your actual account region (not making a new one) to download something soft launched somewhere else in the world?

Matt Frost

Sorry to ask again but I can't for the life of me find the original post nor rember how I did it when I tried.

How do you change your actual account region (not making a new one) to download something soft launched somewhere else in the world?

AppStore - Front Page on the bottom tap your User ID, then Settings, then Change Region and have a zip code ready to paste

PittaGAF

AppStore - Front Page on the bottom tap your User ID, then Settings, then Change Region and have a zip code ready to paste

Thanks.
My problem (that I don't recall having last time I tried) is that it forces me to put a credit card number (none is not an option).
I just want to download a free app of course.
In the actual store region it's set to none.

Any ideas? (Store is Philippines).

EDIT: still interested if possible, but for the time being I just set up a new account.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cat Quest is like a cute and "easier" Battleheart Legacy. Controls are very similar to that and Crashlands. So if that style and experience interests you, the game feels absolutely worth its cost of entry thus far.

PittaGAF

The amount of freemium shit Galak-Z has been infused is STAGGERING.
There is SO MUCH is super distracting.

That's really a shame because the actual gameplay portion looks great and controls awesome.
And it's really fun.

I'm utterly displeased.

awp69

That's really a shame because the actual gameplay portion looks great and controls awesome.
And it's really fun.

I'm utterly displeased.

Yeah, I heard the F2P garbage was really bad in it. So sad.

—

Speaking of freemium, Into the Dead 2 just soft launched in Australia. Downloading it to see how it is. Looks more like a full fledged action game than a runner this time.

And it's really fun.

I'm utterly displeased.
How bad are we talking?

Trials Frontier levels of bad, where you have limited fuel, need to constantly collect parts to upgrade and unlock things (determined by a random wheel spin), and upgrades are run on timers than can take days (unless you pay to speed it up).

Or more like Plants vs. Zombies 2, where the whole game is playable without spending money, it's just got a poor difficulty curve that gets so hard it makes you want to use the premium powers, but they can at least be earned in game. Just certain items/upgrades are required to use real money with, but they advertise it constantly?

I absolutely loved the gameplay in Trials Frontier (enough that I actually did spend some money in it), but eventually the grind got so bad that I couldn't take it anymore.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK - so Cat Quest is fantastic as fuck.

I've been playing it non-stop for the past couple of hours. If you don't like the controls of Crashlands and such, you won't like this game. But! If you don't mind that, it's SO worth your time. It's lighthearted, adorable, and an absolute blast to play. Hit level 37 and found the Golden Key. There isn't a ton of gear depth, but that's kind of what I like about it. You basically decide if you want to melee focus, magic focus, or hybridify.

Can't wait to try these level 80+ dungeons!

I've been playing it non-stop for the past couple of hours. If you don't like the controls of Crashlands and such, you won't like this game. But! If you don't mind that, it's SO worth your time. It's lighthearted, adorable, and an absolute blast to play. Hit level 37 and found the Golden Key. There isn't a ton of gear depth, but that's kind of what I like about it. You basically decide if you want to melee focus, magic focus, or hybridify.

How about spelll and enemy variety?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How about spelll and enemy variety?

I've found 5 spells so far. The temples you find show 7 spells, but the inventory screen shows more. I'm leaning towards 7, but there's a chance there's more. Enemy variety seems good so far. If I had to guess, I've seen 9 or 10 different enemies? I don't know if that's all there are (I haven't gone super far north yet), but I have seen at least one new enemy just a few moments ago.

Nothing MAJOR, but just in case people are curious, I'll spoiler tag a few enemy thoughts.

Enemy attacks get a lot more elaborate, too. The most recent boss I fought had 3 different attacks - a horizontal electric, vertical ice, and fast large ranged melee (all of which he can use at the same time on different cooldowns, so that's something). It was pretty intense juggling that with other enemies who had multiple attack patterns, too (some of which would slow you making things even more difficult). I've also seen one enemy with a longer lasting AoE that he pops on the ground and an enemy with pink diagonal lasers (only once so far...he one-shot me). A few enemies can heal, too. Attack speeds are all varied enough where you have to learn how and when to strike during group encounters.

E: Just found another new enemy type and a level 200 dungeon. I popped my head in to see what it was. I laughed, but then I died.

raiot

Ok, as a fellow PaD Player, i trust your opinion and i bought it, but i have to wait till i can try it. Thx for posting your experiences. :)

PittaGAF

How bad are we talking?

Trials Frontier levels of bad, where you have limited fuel, need to constantly collect parts to upgrade and unlock things (determined by a random wheel spin), and upgrades are run on timers than can take days (unless you pay to speed it up).

Or more like Plants vs. Zombies 2, where the whole game is playable without spending money, it's just got a poor difficulty curve that gets so hard it makes you want to use the premium powers, but they can at least be earned in game. Just certain items/upgrades are required to use real money with, but they advertise it constantly?

I absolutely loved the gameplay in Trials Frontier (enough that I actually did spend some money in it), but eventually the grind got so bad that I couldn't take it anymore.

I'm not familiar with the games you mentioned but there are all sorts of consumable and things to build (with timers), slots to be filled and such....it's super distracting and totally different from the original story mode/rogue lite original game.
At least there aren't timers to play....I was able to play for about 1-2 hours uninterrupted.
But still the game introduces new things to buy/collect/build/attach.....it's super distracting.
I just want to play the missions with my ship or mech....and the gameplay part is really fun with a very nice cartoon robot look.

I really wish they went for another monetization route....even just the 'story mode' screen screams CANDY CRUSH SAGA.

There are just bite sized levels one after another, not a glimpse of the story or the randomized levels of the original, the 5 stages thing, etc....

Which I guess it's ok for others but it's not my thing.
Super sad.

EDIT: spoke too soon....if you die actually there are timers to get health back. At least difficulty is ramping up.

Top Bottom