• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

SaintR

Just saw on the latest vid Colin posted on twitter that he's moving out of SF to move to LA. Man this whole thing escalated quickly.

Wasn't Colin supposed to do one last Game Over Gregg show to hash this all out? Is that no longer happening?

I really hate how this shit just escalated and unfolded. Even though I don't know these dudes it feels like two of my friends are no longer talking or cool, it feels shitty to be honest. Politics has made everything so utterly divisive lately and it's permeating into everything, it really sucks.

Just saw on the latest vid Colin posted on twitter that he's moving out of SF to move to LA. Man this whole thing escalated quickly.

Wasn't Colin supposed to do one last Game Over Gregg show to hash this all out? Is that no longer happening?

I really hate how this shit just escalated and unfolded. Even though I don't know these dudes it feels like two of my friends are no longer talking or cool, it feels shitty to be honest. Politics has made everything so utterly divisive lately and it's permeating into everything, it really sucks.

From day one, his FAQ said he was leaving SF. Just not where. He has never shown a great liking to SF, so it's no surprise he's leaving. For starters, SF is insanely expensive. Not to say that LA isn't. But SF is known for being egregiously so.

mhayes86

Wasn't Colin supposed to do one last Game Over Gregg show to hash this all out? Is that no longer happening

It sounds like it's still happening. Greg mentioned on the Morning Show earlier today that they're filming Colin's GoG episode next week. It should be available to Patreon supporters next Friday, and uploaded to YouTube the following week.

From day one, his FAQ said he was leaving SF. Just not where. He has never shown a great liking to SF, so it's no surprise he's leaving. For starters, SF is insanely expensive. Not to say that LA isn't. But SF is known for being egregiously so.

LA isn't that expensive to live in. All considered, it may have high end communities, but generally speaking its not that bad. Colin making 400,000 a year, he'll live.

idonteven

colin wants to live close to his new bff

i think that not long ago he said he hated LA

high chance he is moving there for his bff rubin

Maybe the toxic babies calling Greg, Tim, Nick traitors and continue to downvote can now leave this community and never come back.

Not likely, based on the sad and pathetic trolls still in the comment section and rushing to their videos to dislike them as soon as they are uploaded.

He probably wont. I recall not too long ago on the morning show he admonished Nick for getting such fancy cameras and not having something cheaper like on the Rubin Report.

The production of this show is gonna be interesting because I always got the impression that he never got involved, nor wants to get involved with technical aspects of anything and just wants to be a part of the creative but now he must wear both hats.

His production is going to be god awful. Apparently Tim did the majority of editing on Colin Was Right too.

The name is so silly.

Though, unrelated to this whole KF mess, he has always been more informative in history and politics than video games. With the latter, it was actually insane about how ignorant he was with the medium. His phrase 'Gameplay is king.' is not something I have heard him say in quite sometime nor is it something he practices.

Even though politically I am somewhat similar to him, I won't be following what he does. He has an unpleasant personality.

karasu

It was just a few podcasts ago where he said he was never moving again because he hates it so much lol He planned to stay with Greg forever

The name is so silly.

Though, unrelated to this whole KF mess, he has always been more informative in history and politics than video games. With the latter, it was actually insane about how ignorant he was with the medium. His phrase 'Gameplay is king.' is not something I have heard him say in quite sometime nor is it something he practices.

Even though politically I am somewhat similar to him, I won't be following what he does. He has an unpleasant personality.

Wrong

Colin is very knowledgeable on PlayStation and has ears in the industry. I really doubt he has the same insiders in politics

graybot

Has anyone listened to the latest Gamescast? It had Colin, Gregg and Tim on and discussion centred mainly around Zelda and the Indies coming to the console

I have never heard anyone so disinterested being on a show in my life. I was listening rather than watching, so perhaps his body language did not reflect this?

I believe this was recorded before Colin sent his tweet. So I think his departure really was inevitable either way. But it happened a lot sooner due to the thing last week.

Has anyone listened to the latest Gamescast? It had Colin, Gregg and Tim on and discussion centred mainly around Zelda and the Indies coming to the console

I have never heard anyone so disinterested being on a show in my life. I was listening rather than watching, so perhaps his body language did not reflect this?

I believe this was recorded before Colin sent his tweet. So I think his departure really was inevitable either way. But it happened a lot sooner due to the thing last week.

On video is worse

He looks at the infinite and plays with the dog, really disinterested and only made comments when prompted.

Anyone else think it was weird during his thank you video that Colin didn't mention Greg, Tim, Kevin, or Nick at all? Like....at all? At the very least when thanking all of his friends for support, individually and by name, he didn't even mention Greg?

I've been increasingly feeling like this split was not civil, and there seems to still be an overlying tension in the KF content I watch now.

Choomp

Banned
Anyone else think it was weird during his thank you video that Colin didn't mention Greg, Tim, Kevin, or Nick at all? Like....at all? At the very least when thanking all of his friends for support, individually and by name, he didn't even mention Greg?

I've been increasingly feeling like this split was not civil, and there seems to still be an overlying tension in the KF content I watch now.

There's definitely tension between them. I bet once Colin moves we'll start to see more and more of that be evident.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
So Jim Sterling wrote a great article about the recent controversies surrounding JonTron and PewDiePie, and while it doesn't mention Colin by name, a lot of the article is still very applicable.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/youtubers-say-the-darndest-things/

Especially this line:

"The Internet has warped the idea of “free speech” to mean “speech without consequence” and that’s simply not what it is."

I think both sides are wrong and the truth is somewhere in the middle.
I'm so sorry I couldn't withstand the temptation.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Definitely feels like it wasn't amicable despite what they've tried to say publicly.

Feels like they won't turn the corner until they get a new co-worker to bring some new life into the show.

Banned
Greg streaming games before the morning show is great, hope he does it more after this week

You know, that's actually how they originally opened Colin and Greg Live. Pretty much only during the first week of that show's existence, it would always open with Colin and Greg playing a game. I recall Super Smash Bros for Wii U being one such game. I wonder if Colin was against that idea and now Greg is revisiting it in a manner.

decisions

Yeah Colin leaving is a sign that things did not go down how they said they did. Colin would always say, "I could never imagine not living with Greg", "you can drag my dead body out of this apartment" because of some sort of financial benefit that came with it.

If you ask Colin has had CLS brewing in his mind for a long time and it was originally planned to be a KF show. After the Twitter drama they must've decided that a Colin-only political show could not be a part of KF and so Colin chose to choose his brainchild over he company, since they could no longer be one.

That's my speculation anyway.

mhayes86

That's how he is in pretty much every KF podcast he's on that isn't PSILY. He doesn't typically interrupt and usually waits until it's his turn to speak, unless it's politics. Beyond and PSILY are where he shined since he and Greg were knowledgeable, and had great chemistry together. He's typically just a better conversationalist with fewer people and 1-on-1 interviews.

In any case, I felt that the Gamescast has gotten worse since PSILY started. The Beyond podcast back on IGN was Greg and Colin's baby, so recreating it as PSILY was their passion project, kind of leaving the Gamescast in the dust. Tim really tries, but both Colin and Greg never seemed to have much to say on various topics that weren't about PlayStation or games they enjoyed while growing up.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Props to this week's Gamescast. Liked Nick's point of view on Zelda as an outsider.

Plus Greg seemed to bring it maybe cause he felt he had too since Colin is gone.

One of the better Gamescasts in a while.

Props to this week's Gamescast. Liked Nick's point of view on Zelda as an outsider.

Plus Greg seemed to bring it maybe cause he felt he had too since Colin is gone.

Nick was great. Easily great chemistry. But I don't know how a non hardcore gamer will fare in the long run.

sora87

Greg did say that when Colin's not there he takes on a different persona, a more veteran and serious type.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Love the new gamescast it's been way more enjoyable to me now. Who would have thought that not having a debbie downer on the panel improves the overall vibe and before trolls come at with "no criticism allowed" just go back to wasting your time on downvoting stuff it's pretty clear that that lot don't know the the difference between criticism and being a toxic sack, but just in case some people in that camp still retain some of their thinking faculties it's tone.

ST2K

Watching yesterday's morning show and hearing GS is taking 3DS for $175. Should I trade mine in for a Switch and Zelda?

Are you interested in Fire Emblem Echoes? If so, no.
Do you have a Wii U that you can play Zelda on? If so, no.
If neither of those apply? Yes.

a916

I really hope KindaFunny raises their bar of quality.

I've unsubscribed... their gaming channel is meaningless. No offense, but Nick (and he'll admit this too, knows nothing about games) and Tim outside of Nintendo doesn't either. I felt Colin balanced out Greg but watching that ME review made me realise, these guys really aren't even putting the effort in anymore and it shows. Like why bother have 3 guys on the panel if 2 of them haven't played ME on the ME Review?

It's also a sign that this just isn't for me anymore. When Colin and Greg morning show started it was kinda nice... then he slowly got off the rails... and now it's just completely off the rails where they really don't care. And I know that's an inside joke too, but at no point before did I feel like I was wasting my time watching this but now it has. The more I watch it, the more I get the feeling that these guys really don't respect my time... is that weird?

Also, this has nothing to do with Colin leaving either, I stopped watched Colin and Greg morning show for a while and Colin leaving kills the gaming show.

Maximo

C7pRbvtVYAEPnfy.jpg

Holy fuck Kevin.

Sounds like Colin will be there to record his final podcast(s) on Tuesday (they talked about it on The Morning Show). I think he might be also there for the Morning Show, because they were talking about doing the rooftop grill on with him, despite the fact it will be Tuesday and not Thursday (Greg's not going to be there next Thursday, apparently).

karasu

Speculating: I bet Colin was bluffing and said he was going to resign if they didn't support him publicly or something, but was shocked when no one tried to stop him so he had no choice but to follow through with it. So he's hitched his wagon to Dave Rubin's star. Those two have been waxing poetic all over each other lately. Gifts, dinners. It's kind of gross to see that much love publicly lol

Speculating: I bet Colin was bluffing and said he was going to resign if they didn't support him publicly or something, but was shocked when no one tried to stop him so he had no choice but to follow through with it. So he's hitched his wagon to Dave Rubin's star. Those two have been waxing poetic all over each other lately. Gifts, dinners. It's kind of gross to see that much love publicly lol

Colin bought Dave Rubin, a guy he's known for 5 minutes, a PS4. Who the hell spends that much money on someone they just met?

sora87

I really hope KindaFunny raises their bar of quality.

I've unsubscribed... their gaming channel is meaningless. No offense, but Nick (and he'll admit this too, knows nothing about games) and Tim outside of Nintendo doesn't either. I felt Colin balanced out Greg but watching that ME review made me realise, these guys really aren't even putting the effort in anymore and it shows. Like why bother have 3 guys on the panel if 2 of them haven't played ME on the ME Review?

It's also a sign that this just isn't for me anymore. When Colin and Greg morning show started it was kinda nice... then he slowly got off the rails... and now it's just completely off the rails where they really don't care. And I know that's an inside joke too, but at no point before did I feel like I was wasting my time watching this but now it has. The more I watch it, the more I get the feeling that these guys really don't respect my time... is that weird?

Also, this has nothing to do with Colin leaving either, I stopped watched Colin and Greg morning show for a while and Colin leaving kills the gaming show.

I'll agree they need to sort out their games channel, it's all abit stale now and their game coverage isn't very good, you can tell they barely play anything longer than 2 hours except for Zelda recently.

Although I'll totally disagree with the morning show, I love the direction it's gone in now, it's so much more fun and I love seeing them just hanging out after they do the news and stuff.

Colin bought Dave Rubin, a guy he's known for 5 minutes, a PS4. Who the hell spends that much money on someone they just met?

I just downloaded the bonus episode of The Rubin Report Colin was just on where he discusses the tweet incident - at the start that Rubin guy talks like they're two lovers on a spectacular first date. He said they went to dinner together and stayed up til 4am drinking and talking.

I'll agree they need to sort out their games channel, it's all abit stale now and their game coverage isn't very good, you can tell they barely play anything longer than 2 hours except for Zelda recently.

It's quite odd that for a gaming-centric channel, the amount of videos of them actually playing games are few and far between. I really think they should breakout the "review/impressions" discussions they have on the Gamescast into them playing the game while discussing it.

I know they rolled back Lets Plays considerably since they weren't happy with how they were turning out (and I think the community agreed), but now it feels like we get maybe one a month and most of the time it's either sponsored or someone bringing their game to the studio. That's why I was so happy to hear that Greg was streaming before each KFMS, he was even committed to the point of switching out the game because it wasn't fun, but it seems like that was just for this week only, and they didn't even bother to put those on YouTube.

It would be great for them to have one livestream per week of them playing games, I think I would want to see that more than bringing back Lets Plays. It would give them more freedom to play whatever games they want to, not just what is big right now, also it can be a rotating seat just like KFMS so it will be different people each week.

Ferny

Colin is talking on Joe Rogan's show and it looks like his friendship with the guys at KF is pretty much done. Seems hurt they didn't at least stand up for him a little more.

Colin is talking on Joe Rogan's show and it looks like his friendship with the guys at KF is pretty much done. Seems hurt they didn't at least stand up for him a little more.

Ha I just finished that Rubin Report episode and was coming here to say I don't think how anyone could come away from that believing there's beef between Colin and the guys but I guess I'm wrong. He was making it sound like on that episode that what he wants to do and be is separate from Kinda Funny and he wanted to do his own thing anyway and it was a voluntary, amicable split.

Looking back now I guess the one thing against my argument was when he started crying and told that Rubin fella that he's his newest friend and defended him more than his oldest friends did.

That explains why you never see Colin bothering to calm his fans from going after KF. If he feels that bad about the KF guys not publically standing up for him in defense of him not being an actual sexist, why would he do so for them?

Top Bottom