• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass on Switch is 40% off until July 4th (First Switch eShop Sale)

SpokkX

it was a locked 30fps at launch and I doubt anything has changed in that regard

if you want 60fps the PS4 Pro and PC are the ones that run at that framerate

Yeah 30 is ok as long as there are no drops

There were drops at launch, how is it now?

madmook

Bought, the first digital purchase for my Switch. I'll just wait for whatever next patch that the dev said is coming soon to be released before I jump in.

TZchassis

I don't recommend getting this game.
Not optimized for the hardware (resolution, hd rumble, etc)
Gets boring and repetitive very quickly

BizzyBum

I mean, it can't compare to the PS4 and PC versions due to framerate but the Switch version is not terrible in comparison.

Totally disagree on it getting boring and repetitive. There's only 15 levels so it's not necessarily a long game that drags out, and each level / world seems to add new challenges and obstacles for you to conquer which keeps it fresh and challenging throughout the game.

How much more optimized do you want it? Go look up the resolution of the PS4 version. This is about as good as you could ask for unless you want an unstable framerate.

BiggNife

It's a pretty solid game that feels really unique, and worth $12. The sub-HD resolution in portable mode is unfortunate, but it's still totally playable and the framerate is fine.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
If we're going to hop on this same resolution argument every time a Switch multiplat has to take a resolution hit, we're in for some bumpy rides lol.

On to the real issues:

I found this game difficult to play while under the influence. Enjoyed it otherwise.

If we're going to hop on this same resolution argument every time a Switch multiplat has to take a resolution hit, we're in for some bumpy rides lol.

On to the real issues:

I found this game difficult to play while under the influence. Enjoyed it otherwise.

What kind of influence? Like influencers from Twitch

Effect

Finally bought this. Meant to earlier but Zelda kept me busy. The sale price was to good. Got it from the website so I wonder if the Switch download it in sleep mode.

Finally bought this. Meant to earlier but Zelda kept me busy. The sale price was to good. Got it from the website so I wonder if the Switch download it in sleep mode.

It won't. You have to wake it first. Once it's started, you can put it to sleep and it will continue.

Glix

I just want to say to anyone on the fence that this game has some of the most amazing music I have ever heard in a video game. It's REALLY good. Peak Wise.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah noticeable but not a deal breaker at all. Fell in love with the game from the jump. But man that HD rumble lol.

there is no hd rumble

the rumble is just annoying as fuck. it launched that way, was fixed, and then with the most recent patch the issue came back. they're going to fix it.

Actually, it does.

While in sleep mode the Switch pings once in a while, and will start the download.

Can't say I've noticed this. I know the Wii U does it. It even tells you to wake the system first before the download will start after you purchase the game.

Holy shit, this vibration is post patch, LOL, I died laughing, it's like bugs are stuck with a high pitch in my controllers. I'll be turning that off shortly. That's ridiculous. I can't imagine before the patch, I've seen videos but they sound like what it sounds like now, haha

NateDrake

Holy shit, this vibration is post patch, LOL, I died laughing, it's like bugs are stuck with a high pitch in my controllers. I'll be turning that off shortly. That's ridiculous. I can't imagine before the patch, I've seen videos but they sound like what it sounds like now, haha

They fixed it and then broke it again with the last patch.

They fixed it and then broke it again with the last patch.

RIDICULOUSSSSSSSS-

JSsWeAf.gif

Wat....... Wonder when thy'll patch the patch, well dammit now I'm thinking I should've waited again. Gotta love gaming in the modern era.

orioto

Good Art™

On to the real issues:

It's precisely cause it shouldn't happen that it has to be said and criticize. Or indeed, the Switch will be a 480p cemetery!

How much more optimized do you want it? Go look up the resolution of the PS4 version. This is about as good as you could ask for unless you want an unstable framerate.

Back in the day you changed the graphics for a port, to make sure it was running optimally on the hardware. I can't believe this kind of excuse "this is the best you should be expecting". This is the result of quick port where graphic options were changed so it can barely run on the hardware. Actually, running at 60% of the resolution of the switch is not really running on it.

phanphare

Banned
It's precisely cause it shouldn't happen that it has to be said and criticize. Or indeed, the Switch will be a 480p cemetery!

Back in the day you changed the graphics for a port, to make sure it was running optimally on the hardware. I can't believe this kind of excuse "this is the best you should be expecting". This is the result of quick port where graphic options were changed so it can barely run on the hardware. Actually, running at 60% of the resolution of the switch is not really running on it.

assuming you have the same criticisms of the PS4 version as well?

orioto

Good Art™
assuming you have the same criticisms of the PS4 version as well?

Of course, except there is a concept that is really hard to communicate to people but a portable console has a screen in it. it's part of what you buy, and part of its specs. It's less shocking to have variable resolutions (but still bad) on a home console. cause the 720p res of the Switch is part of its hardware.

Of course, except there is a concept that is really hard to communicate to people but a portable console has a screen in it. it's part of what you buy, and part of its specs. It's less shocking to have variable resolutions (but still bad) on a home console. cause the 720p res of the Switch is part of its hardware.
What if I told you the main factor here is not the geometry or whatever effects that you can scale back as you suggest, and actually the physics involved?

phanphare

Banned

that's weird tbh

Zedark

Your argument seems to be based on the assumption that a game is well-optimised for a platform if it hits a certain acceptable resolution. To me, that seems too limiting. Take Snake Pass for example: it has a very taxing AA solution, which is the most important reason why it runs below target resolution on both PS4 and Switch (and XB1 as well). They could have likely done away with this AA solution and hit 1080p on PS4 and at least close to 720p on Switch handheld, but they chose to go with the AA solution instead. This choice was not made to make the Switch run sub 480p, unless you want to accuse them of maliciousness, but rather to accommodate the best visuals possible for the game on the platforms; sometimes that might require prioritising strong AA over native resolution, and that's what they did. If you watch the Digital Foundry analysis, you can hear that John is actually pretty impressed with how Switch stacks up compared to PS4, so it's definitely not a quick port job.

Take another case: Uncharted 4 multiplayer runs at 900p. They did this in order to maintain a rock solid 60fps through out, not because it was a quick port job or anything, but because they prioritised an aspect, namely frame rate, over native resolution. There are much more complex machinations running behind the scenes than your post suggests.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This game's infuriating. But it captures that 1990s platformer feeling better than Yooka-Laylee.

orioto

Good Art™
ok have fun guys.. Why am i the only one always fighting with 5 posters at the same time. The guys who posted about resolution problem before me didn't have to justify themselves to no end in a 3 page war. And of course now they are gone.. Always the fucking same on gaf

J@hranimo

Banned
ok have fun guys.. Why am i the only one always fighting with 5 posters at the same time. The guys who posted about resolution problem before me didn't have to justify themselves to no end in a 3 page war. And now of course they are gone.. Always the fucking same on gaf

?

phanphare

Banned
ok have fun guys.. Why am i the only one always fighting with 5 posters at the same time. The guys who posted about resolution problem before me didn't have to justify themselves to no end in a 3 page war. And of course now they are gone.. Always the fucking same on gaf

uhhhh....sorry?

I posted a digital foundry video for you to check out to see what's going on under the hood

depward

Nice to see eShop versions of Switch games receiving some discounts!

Gotta say, tempted at this price point. Would love to continue to hear some folks' impressions as they go for this sale price and what their experience is.

orioto

Good Art™
uhhhh....sorry?

I posted a digital foundry video for you to check out to see what's going on under the hood

and i will try to make my point that the fact that there is a lot going on with the cpu doesn't stop the game from running poorly cause of graphics, and would run better with simplified graphics.

And then you'll never stop to try to invalidate what i say and 3 friends will help you, and all the guys who actually agree with me in the thread bailed out long ago so that's a full page of me against everyone.

I know the fucking pattern.

phanphare

Banned
and i will try to make my point that the fact that there is a lot going on with the cpu doesn't stop the game from running poorly cause of graphics, and would run better with simplified graphics.

And then you'll never stop to try to invalidate what i say and 3 friends will help you, and all the guys who actually agree with me in the thread bailed out long ago so that's a full page of me against everyone.

I know the fucking pattern.

alright then

you're getting pretty hostile so I'll just apologize if I did anything to offend you, there was no malicious intent on my end

hope your day's going well

Still one of the best Eshop games.
It's not for everyone but if you want a unique game defined by its unique "realistic" physics based control scheme, not many games this polished and fun.

Top Bottom