• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silver Sable, Black Cat Movie Finds Director (Gina Prince-Bythewood)

Slayven

It's not like they can't do Spiderman characters outside of Spiderman, it's just they picking the ones that need spiderman.

Why no Prowler movie?

Annex?
Puma?
Virtue?
Ariana?
Cardiac?

It's not like they can't do Spiderman characters outside of Spiderman, it's just they picking the ones that need spiderman.

Why no Prowler movie?

Annex?
Puma?
Virtue?
Ariana?
Cardiac?

Just like Silver Sable and Black Cat, I've never heard of any of those characters.

The Kree

Banned
Sony doesn't seem to get that the whole point of "cinematic universes" (ugh) is that they're comprised of characters that can easily stand on their own as leads of their own franchises. That's where the thrill comes from seeing big characters you love all coming together and interacting with each other. But this thing they've got going on? Venom? Black Cat? Silver Sable? Literally none of these characters can stand on their own without being tethered to Spider-Man in some way or form.

They can stand on their own, but they have to be heavily rewritten, at which point the question becomes: So why bother? And the answer is: So they can put a Marvel logo in their marketing.

This reeks of executive cynicism.

Slayven

Just like Silver Sable and Black Cat, I've never heard of any of those characters.
Doesn't matter if they handle them with care.
We all need to collectively forget about Annex.

Too early in the morning to be Bronsonleeing

They can stand on their own, but they have to be heavily rewritten, at which point the question becomes: So why bother? And the answer is: So they can put a Marvel logo in their marketing.

This reeks of executive cynicism.

You are like a more well spoken me, like the Venom shit. Why make it venom and eddie brock?

Why no Prowler movie?

Annex?
Puma?
Virtue?
Ariana?
Cardiac?
Or Miguel. He's the perfect candidate since he's a Spider-Man and has a unique setting compared to other heroes.

But instead they choose Black Cat and Silver Sable.

so whats the problem here? i dont know everything about the comics, but it doesnt sound bad, right?
These are characters that have a connection to Spider-Man. If Spider-Man isn't gonna be in these movies or even mentioned then there's probably gonna be some changes to their character.

Leaving Spiderman out the equation shows they don't care. Like i said there are characters that could work solo, these 2 aren't some of them

But you have yet to hear the premise, or see how they plan on making it work? And they've made them a duo, so technically they're not working solo. LOL :p

I guess...it makes about as much sense as making a movie about two completely irrelevant characters.

Yeah. It's easy to see it as a thief and mercenary crossing paths on their way towards a shared objective. They butt heads at first, begrudgingly decide to work together, and end as friends. I'll keep an open mind for the project.

CO_Andy

EQZciYL.gif

Halle Berry for Black Cat plz

Busty

Banned
I've been saying this since the Marvel/Sony deal was announced but I feel like I need to say it again, Sony has every intention of yanking Holland's Spider-Man out of the MCU at the first opportunity and sticking him right in the middle of this new "Sony/Spidey" cineverse that they are putting together.

Sony want to sell their film & TV operations and this is part of an aggressive plan to give their film division a potential cineverse ASAP in as short a time as possible so that they can add value to a film studio that is falling behind the other majors at a stead clip.

Blader

I've been saying this since the Marvel/Sony deal was announced but I feel like I need to say it again, Sony has every intention of yanking Holland's Spider-Man out of the MCU at the first opportunity and sticking him right in the middle of this new "Sony/Spidey" cineverse that they are putting together.

Sony want to sell their film & TV operations and this is part of an aggressive plan to give their film division a potential cineverse ASAP in as short a time as possible so that they can add value to a film studio that is falling behind the other majors at a stead clip.

Which raises the question for me: how has Sony deluded themselves into thinking that buyers will be tripping over themselves to get a piece of Ruben Fleischer's Venom?

Why no Prowler movie?

Annex?
Puma?
Virtue?
Ariana?
Cardiac?

Or Miguel. He's the perfect candidate since he's a Spider-Man and has a unique setting compared to other heroes.

But instead they choose Black Cat and Silver Sable.

Because Sony wants a movie with female leads.

Calling it now: as soon as Sony sees the box office returns of Homecoming they're going to plan their own non-MCU movie with Holland.

Blader

Calling it now: as soon as Sony sees the box office returns of Homecoming they're going to plan their own non-MCU movie with Holland.

They can technically do that. As someone else pointed out on the last page, Holland is signed for three solo Spider-Man movies, but the Sony/Marvel arrangement only covers two of those. Maybe they'll use that third movie as an overlap between Holland's Spider-Man, Hardy's Venom, this Silver and Black thing, and whatever else they cook up.

IIRC, that was the original plan for the Webb/Garfield series, where they'd so Sinister Six, Venom, and Black Cat/Silver Sable movies that would then crossover with Spidey in either a third or fourth Amazing Spider-Man movie.

Slayven

They can technically do that. As someone else pointed out on the last page, Holland is signed for three solo Spider-Man movies, but the Sony/Marvel arrangement only covers two of those. Maybe they'll use that third movie as an overlap between Holland's Spider-Man, Hardy's Venom, this Silver and Black thing, and whatever else they cook up.

IIRC, that was the original plan for the Webb/Garfield series, where they'd so Sinister Six, Venom, and Black Cat/Silver Sable movies that would then crossover with Spidey in either a third or fourth Amazing Spider-Man movie.

are you on 50 posts a page?

Sony doesn't seem to get that the whole point of "cinematic universes" (ugh) is that they're comprised of characters that can easily stand on their own as leads of their own franchises. That's where the thrill comes from seeing big characters you love all coming together and interacting with each other. But this thing they've got going on? Venom? Black Cat? Silver Sable? Literally none of these characters can stand on their own without being tethered to Spider-Man in some way or form.
Venom could if you make his powers and design more like ultimate Venom, the real problem is using Brock as the host. Could have avoided it by using Flash but........

Bingo.

Only way this doesn't happen is if the movies tank, and I lost all hope of that when they casted Tom Hardy as Venom. I…why?

mreddie

If Disney wants to open that checkbook, that may change but Homecoming is a trojan horse that will work out in Sony's favor.

I'm pretty happy that Sony are making films about all the Spider-Man characters I don't give a shit about, less chance of 'em being in future MCU films.

mreddie

I'm pretty happy that Sony are making films about all the Spider-Man characters I don't give a shit about, less chance of 'em being in future MCU films.

To be fair, we likely weren't gonna see them in the MCU unless otherwise, I mean we are finally getting that Venom movie but dammit, it's in the shittiest way possible.

To be fair, we likely weren't gonna see them in the MCU unless otherwise, I mean we are finally getting that Venom movie but dammit, it's in the shittiest way possible.

Here's the thing; a Venom movie doesn't make sense unless you go the Flash Thompson route. I don't trust anyone that isn't Marvel Studios to nail Agent Venom.

I wish I could be confident that Marvel Studios would tackle more mature titles outside of Netflix, but I'm not. The "Disney" excuse is wack to me too, since that shouldn't mean they can't make a more mature movie when it makes sense (like with Deadpool). Everything coming out of the studio doesn't have to sell toys and tickets to kids. That said, I'd still rather no Venom movie than this desperate cash grab that Sony is piling together.

Top Bottom