• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

onQ123

My thinking is that it's still pretty much the APU + discrete GPU but since the GPU inside of the APU was going to be used for Computing they just removed the unnecessary parts leaving the parts that's good at computing (running OpenCL codes) maybe added even more parts to help with the computing & made it all into a SoC.

4GB GDDR5 + GPU = Sony's first party developer's dream. I can't wait to see what their vast pools of talent can contribute to the gaming world.

It seems like Sony set out to create a well-balanced gaming machine with some surprising parts to distance themselves in some key areas. I have no idea what Microsoft is doing. I am not 100% convinced that they are focused solely on gaming and if their past three E3's are an indication as to where they're heading you can count me totally out.

4GB GDDR5 + GPU = Sony's first party developer's dream. I can't wait to see what their vast pools of talent can contribute to the gaming world.

It seems like Sony set out to create a well-balanced gaming machine with some surprising parts to distance themselves in some key areas. I have no idea what Microsoft is doing. I am not 100% convinced that they are focused solely on gaming and if their past three E3's are an indication as to where they're heading you can count me totally out.

Yeah they really need to show me some exclusives for me to consider paying an additional 400$ for next gen.

Of course MS isn't completely focused on gaming. None of the big 3 are. Do you think Sony is building a gaming machine and nothing else? They have to be competitive with a vast array of other services to stay relevant.

RedSwirl

games built from the ground up on these platforms a few years down the line will murder it, hell crysis 4 will on these consoles.

Didn't Crytek just say that Crysis 3 would be a benchmark for two years? That really just corresponds to the first year after Durango's supposed launch.

Of course MS isn't completely focused on gaming. None of the big 3 are. Do you think Sony is building a gaming machine and nothing else? They have to be competitive with a vast array of other services to stay relevant.

I didn't say that. Out of the three, they are clearly focused on gaming the least. They're objective is to start out strong, build a huge user base, and trail off into things that will extend the generation such as Kinect and apps. That does not interest me whatsoever. With Sony, it was the exact opposite. Sony started out slowly and terribly and look at their line up for this year alone.

Roo

Somehow, I'm glad Orbis and Durango are pretty close tech wise
It makes my decision over what console should I get even easier.
I love Nintendo, can't live without their franchises but I refuse to be left behind again

Wii U and PS4 it is :p

RedSwirl

Well you might be able to say that Nintendo is. At least they're probably about 90% focused on gaming with a few apps here and there.

I didn't say that. Out of the three, they are clearly focused on gaming the least. They're objective is to start out strong, build a huge user base, and trail off into things that will extend the generation such as Kinect and apps. That does not interest me whatsoever. With Sony, it was the exact opposite. Sony started out slowly and terribly and look at their line up for this year alone.

I think that's what the market dictates at this point.

The reason dedicated handhelds are in trouble is because there are all-purpose devices now that do gaming well enough for the vast majority of people. If devices like that start to show up in the living room (like a device that brings iOS to the TV for instance), that could be a real threat to dedicated consoles. In that kind of environment consoles can't be completely dedicated to gaming or else they'll become a relative niche.

What the market dictates has no weight in my decision to buy a console. I think the objective for a console is to build on itself and to consistently get better as the years go on. I did not see that with certain consoles this past generation.

Well, you don't know all the next gen details so you're jumping to conclusions. Also, Sony released apps and Move as well, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I mean, Sony's big release this year was wonderbook.

By the way, I'm not hating on Sony. My point is - I think many posters on GAF see big differences between Sony and MS that don't actually exist.

Somehow, I'm glad Orbis and Durango are pretty close tech wise
It makes my decision over what console should I get even easier.
I love Nintendo, can't live without their franchises but I refuse to be left behind again

Wii U and PS4 it is :p

Things keep looking worst for Wii U with every news release for these consoles.

PS4 would be my choice as well but I'll make the final decision closer to launch depending on Japan exclusives

aegies

I don't think Microsoft is operating under the idea that it will be a catch-all box right away. That's a second half-of-lifespan move (note kinect released on the fifth birthday of the 360). The now-infamous strategy doc was pretty clear about their market strategy, which is to dominate gamers first, then broaden once the price of the system/profit margin went up. Because it doesn't do Microsoft a lot of good to sell those early systems to people who aren't buying games to offset the loss they'll take on the hardware.

I don't think Microsoft is operating under the idea that it will be a catch-all box right away. That's a second half-of-lifespan move (note kinect released on the fifth birthday of the 360). The now-infamous strategy doc was pretty clear about their market strategy, which is to dominate gamers first, then broaden once the price of the system/profit margin went up. Because it doesn't do Microsoft a lot of good to sell those early systems to people who aren't buying games to offset the loss they'll take on the hardware.

Well said.

Reiko

Banned

Yeah.

Phase 1: Core
Phase 2: Core + Casual hook

Proelite

I CAN'T FUCKING TAKE THIS HYPE PEOPLE I'M LOSING IT
image.php

Reiko

Banned
Here's a reality check for the core "faithful". Do not think for one second that Sony won't try with every second of it's beating heart to dominate the living room as THE ENTERTAINMENT hub of the next generation. The PS4 will not be a pure gaming console either. Stop living in 2000. The market has changed.

Beyond hardware, my expectations have been in check for both companies, especially after what we've experienced this gen. It's just the nature of business and staying relevant to maximize profits.

And profits is the buzzword for both consoles going forward. Less Red. More Green.

What the market dictates has no weight in my decision to buy a console. I think the objective for a console is to build on itself and to consistently get better as the years go on. I did not see that with certain consoles this past generation.
I do also have fears they will start out strong but get too formulaic with the exclusives in the later half.

aegies

New IP got the shit kicked out of it after 2008, and even then, some of it really struggled. When a hardware generation starts, you've got 3-4 years, maybe, of people looking for new things. Then they want iteration. That might not be what you want, but it's what the market does. That's honestly the second most exciting part of a new generation: new IP. The first obviously being "HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT THIS IS AMAZING."

Orayn

Do we know if the ps4's gpu will have its own VRAM, instead of sharing the 4gb?.

All of our current info points to that 4GB of GDDR5 being a unified pool. 512MB reserved for the OS, with the rest being used as both system RAM and VRAM for games however the developer sees fit.

Yes. Definitely.

The entire Crysis trilogy if possible.

Uhh.. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The next-gen consoles are more than likely going to be VERY similar to PCs. As such, they will probably follow the same path as the PC versions development. However, we don't know how PCs will fair with Crysis 3 with all bells-n-whistles. If a mid-range PC can't run Crysis 3 at full tilt without sacrificing something, then the next-gen consoles will definitely have to sacrifice as well.

-M

Anth0ny

I wish it was comparable to a GTX 680. Apparently that's what was running Agni's Philosophy at 1080p/60fps.

I have a 7870 for my PC, so the 7970M doesn't seem all that impressive to me.

Ah well. Games are still gonna start looking a whole lot better as soon as the new consoles drop. It would be pretty cool if Agni's Philosophy is running at 1080/30 or 720/60 on these new consoles, while running at 1080/60 (or higher) on PCs at the very same time it is released.

Reiko

Banned
Uhh.. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The next-gen consoles are more than likely going to be VERY similar to PCs. As such, they will probably follow the same path as the PC versions development. However, we don't know how PCs will fair with Crysis 3 with all bells-n-whistles. If a mid-range PC can't run Crysis 3 at full tilt without sacrificing something, then the next-gen consoles will definitely have to sacrifice as well.

-M

They won't be comparable to simply mid range PCs. They will have custom parts for other specific tasks. Stop thinking linear.

Also these consoles are being optimized to handle CryEngine 3 as originally intended.

meta4

Atleast as far as this gen goes this is true but like someone said unfortunately the market seems to moving in a different direction. Can you imagine most of that 8 GB used only for games and keeping the OS just simple enough to boot the game and absolutely nothing else?
Seeing these specs I dont see anything remotely ambitious from Sony with regards to being the all in one app box as MS is going for based on the RAM reserved for the OS and I fear for Sony because of this.

Funny I was just thinking how good the Dead Space 3 demo looked on the 360.
That the 360 can still impress after all these years. And we all know how great Halo 4 looks...

Imagine what we will see over the next few....

I hope the Nextbox will be as powerful as the PS4.

meta4

New IP got the shit kicked out of it after 2008, and even then, some of it really struggled. When a hardware generation starts, you've got 3-4 years, maybe, of people looking for new things. Then they want iteration. That might not be what you want, but it's what the market does. That's honestly the second most exciting part of a new generation: new IP. The first obviously being "HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT THIS IS AMAZING."

There are still stuff like Puppeteer , The Last of Us, Beyond etc releasing late in the cycle for PS3. Will be interesting to see if the market reacts the way you say it reacts because I have been hearing that the market wants only iteration for the last three to four years. Stuff like Dishonored did fine. I am not sure what prevents certain publishers from investing in new properties late in the gen.. If it has decent marketing and it is good it will sell more often than not even if it is a new IP.

beast786

I wish it was comparable to a GTX 680. Apparently that's what was running Agni's Philosophy at 1080p/60fps.

I have a 7870 for my PC, so the 7970M doesn't seem all that impressive to me.

Ah well. Games are still gonna start looking a whole lot better as soon as the new consoles drop. It would be pretty cool if Agni's Philosophy is running at 1080/30 or 720/60 on these new consoles, while running at 1080/60 (or higher) on PCs at the very same time it is released.

I know you probably already know but you can't compare your PC GPU to closed system console 1:1.

If it was the case would a 256/512 MB RAM on PC run GTA IV?

aganu

These specs at the hands of Guerrilla Games...

t3tKXkA.jpg

E3 should be phenomenal.

I'm also excited to learn about the "secret computing sauce" each console will have.

Reiko

Banned
There are still stuff like Puppeteer , The Last of Us, Beyond etc releasing late in the cycle for PS3. Will be interesting to see if the market reacts the way you say it reacts because I have been hearing the market wants only iteration for the last three to four years. Stuff like Dishonored did fine. I am not sure what prevents certain publishers from investing in new properties late in the gen.. If it has decent marketing and it is good it will sell more often than not even if it is a new IP.

While sales for those titles will be good if not anything else. Just imagine if they were released in 2008.

Look at the impact Metal Gear Solid 4 made on the PS3 as being a killer app.

Anth0ny

I know you probably already know but you can't compare your PC GPU to closed system console 1:1.

If it was the case would a 256/512 MB RAM on PC run GTA IV?

Yeah, I know.

We won't be seeing PS4 producing an image of Agni's Philosophy like in the trailer, right? Watch Dogs? 1313?

That's all I'm saying. It would have been nice if it matched those, at least.

-M
It's not the same as comparing them directly to PCs.

Gorillaz

I do also have fears they will start out strong but get too formulaic with the exclusives in the later half.

This gen IMO will basically be a repeat of the last.This time sony might start out better but it will still end up with both wavering off in new IP's/games and banking off of the first real "hits" of both systems. Were not just going to get 100 million new IP's just because it's a new gen. There will obviously be a nice amount but not as much imo.

With the cost of development rising I am very positive next gen will play it EVEN MORE safe then they did this one.

WE will end up in this exact same position, with sequels after sequels at the end of next gen.

meta4

While sales for those titles will be good if not anything else. Just imagine if they were released in 2008.

Look at the impact Metal Gear Solid 4 made on the PS3 as being a killer app.

MGS4 would have sold PS3's whether it was released in 2008 or 2012. It would have done the same numbers if not better. I am not saying it is not better to release new IP's at the beginning of the gen. I just feel that there is no reason not to release new IP's for the last 3 years from certain publishers. I will go out on a limb and predict this - TLOU will sell better than Dead Space 3 on the PS3.

Reiko

Banned
Yeah, I know.

We won't be seeing PS4 producing an image of Agni's Philosophy like in the trailer, right? Watch Dogs? 1313?

Those are all baseline.

Just like this was last gen:

In-game and mistaken for CG

930863_20060203_screen001.jpg

930863_20060202_screen007.jpg

It's something that must be put into perspective coming from the DC/PS2/GC/XBOX gen.

930878_20060221_screen010.jpg

Yeah, I know.

Of course it will match those.

Agni's Philosophy on PS4 might have some things look worse, while improving on some other things in the demo.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yeah, I know.

I would not put anything past the first/second party of Sony. Those guys are masters at getting everything possible out of a console. Give these guys these kind of specs and we can only imagine what they can do in the future. We were never going to get high end PC specs for 399.99 it was never in the cards. Both machines seem very good for 399.99 boxes. We still don't know anything about the secret sauce in either one.

aegies

Yeah, I know.

You will. Really. Square didn't commission Luminous so they could fuck around on PC.

stryke

Yeah, I know.

A company like Square Enix does not go out of their way to create and show a fancy next gen trailer with all the bells and whistles let alone a new engine if they didn't believe they could achieve that in the next generation of consoles.

A company like Square Enix does not go out of their way to create and show a fancy next gen trailer with all the bells and whistles let alone a new engine if they didn't believe they could achieve that in the next generation of consoles.

Yeah. Just look at the FFVII tech demo. They've released games looking far better than that during the PS3's life cycle. I am certain that the PS4 will run games looking on par or better than what was shown in Agni. Just give it two or three years.

stryke

Yeah. Just look at the FFVII tech demo. They've released games looking far better than that during the PS3's life cycle. I am certain that the PS4 will run games looking on par or better than what was shown in Agni. Just give it two or three years.

I think the tech demo did have a higher frame rate and polygonal count though, and better damn fucking hair.

Here's a reality check for the core "faithful". Do not think for one second that Sony won't try with every second of it's beating heart to dominate the living room as THE ENTERTAINMENT hub of the next generation. The PS4 will not be a pure gaming console either. Stop living in 2000. The market has changed.

Beyond hardware, my expectations have been in check for both companies, especially after what we've experienced this gen. It's just the nature of business and staying relevant to maximize profits.

And profits is the buzzword for both consoles going forward. Less Red. More Green.

There's quite a bit of difference between having netflix, a web browser, and cross-game chat on your console and the likely goals that Microsoft is going to push.

Hence why PS4 is allegedly only allocating 512 MB of RAM and Durango is going for 3 GB.

Top Bottom