• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

ghibli99

Lovely package... cover/inside art is nice, manual is of superb quality, game looks and plays great. Like Binding of Isaac and Shovel Knight, it's nice to have a standard physical edition that has some nice goodies inside, giving you something to look forward to vs. the flimsy zero-weight fare of most modern releases.

Edit: Story of Seasons 3DS was also a nice surprise in that regard.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Bought this today thanks to a BB welcome to GCU $5 off $30 game coupon, so right price at the right time. It was $19.99 after the 5 dollars off and GCU!

And thanks to the recommendation of this thread. I've played about 30 minutes and already love it. My daughter (2 yrs) fell asleep on me watching me play, I think the awesome music relaxed her to sleep.

Opa-Pa

Yeah the costumes are timed, there's some for christmas as wells. Some of the Halloween ones are Nintendo themed but they've actually been a thing for years in the Steam version.

I used to so a yearly run around Halloween as a tradition because of this haha, I love this game.

shiyrley

Banned
My package got stuck in customs even tho I paid the expedited shipping. Gotta love the Canary Islands and its fucking import fees (we even pay fees to order things from the rest of Spain)

Amazon refunded the import fees and said they will refund whatever extra fees I have to pay. But this is stupid. I should just have my game by now.

fernoca

Well, my copy arrived and got Curly as the keychain.

If anyone wants to trade her for Quote, let me know. She looks cool anyway. I just want Quote. XD

sheaaaa

This is pretty much the definitive version, yeah, it has everything present in past versions (including the 3DS' formerly exclusive wide-screen support) minus the original graphics. It also adds a couple of new challenges including a new area, water physics, a lighting effect to characters and your weapons' shots, and talking animations for portraits. I hear a co-op mode is coming as free DLC too?

Awesome, thank you!

jbueno

This is pretty much the definitive version, yeah, it has everything present in past versions (including the 3DS' formerly exclusive wide-screen support) minus the original graphics. It also adds a couple of new challenges including a new area, water physics, a lighting effect to characters and your weapons' shots, and talking animations for portraits. I hear a co-op mode is coming as free DLC too?

Does this have the 3DS OST too? I know the Steam version does, that´s my favorite version of the game´s music. Have CS3D on cart as well, but not really into that version´s graphics.

sheaaaa

Oh one more question - I'm trying to go into this knowing as little as possible about weapons, locations, characters, plot, etc. Will reading the manual spoil anything major for me? Read earlier in the thread it has some info about the true ending.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Oh one more question - I'm trying to go into this knowing as little as possible about weapons, locations, characters, plot, etc. Will reading the manual spoil anything major for me? Read earlier in the thread it has some info about the true ending.

It'll spoil the first... hour of the game? It tells you what weapons you're going to get. I would just look at it after you finish the game if you really don't want to get spoiled by anything.

Opa-Pa

Does this have the 3DS OST too? I know the Steam version does, that´s my favorite version of the game´s music. Have CS3D on cart as well, but not really into that version´s graphics.

Yep! The "remastered" soundtrack is that one. One of the best IMO.

Busaiku

Is there any way to recover or get a Life Pot before
Ballos
?
I'm at 6 HP (2nd time here, and neither time was over 20 HP).
This is so annoying.

Opa-Pa

Ballos
?
This is so annoying.

Nope, there's only one in the game and I believe you can't retrieve it anymore once you've saved after the
Zombie Core

It's not impossible to beat him without one, but it's extremely tricky. I've beaten this game a thousand times but I still need one. You should aim to get to him with much more HP than that though, ideally you want to be able to at least get past a couple of his forms before resorting to the life pot.

You can recover some HP in the room with the statues after fighting that giant block though.

Edit: Wow, never attempted it without the spur. That does sound impossible lol.

Busaiku

Gah, I already restarted because I found out about
best ending
afterwards, and now I've gotta do it all over again...

Mister Wolf

Ballos
?
This is so annoying.

This really has me considering getting the normal ending and moving on. I'm all for a healthy challenge but I don't want to be broken.

Opa-Pa

Best ending is not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, it's just that yeah, if you used your life pot before reaching the final area... You're in for a bad time.

If you saved it for that section though, it only takes some practice.

Also aiming for the best ending lets you get the normal one if you want too. You could always follow the steps for the best one, get the normal ending, reload your save, and this time attempt the last stage too.

Does Easy Mode lock anything out, cause I am not looking forward to this again.

Nope, you can play everything in the main story on Easy. Only challenges have a set difficulty.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I played through the game a second time, but must've messed something up along the way, because while things were starting to change this time around, I got the same ending as before.

It's telling, though, that I'm still having a great time just playing through the game again and again.

Opa-Pa

I played through the game a second time, but must've messed something up along the way, because while things were starting to change this time around, I got the same ending as before.

It's telling, though, that I'm still having a great time just playing through the game again and again.

Did you
enter the abandoned house when escaping with Sue? If it was blocked with debri then you probably did something wrong, but you have to enter it instead of escaping to alter the ending.

Danny Dudekisser

Did you
enter the abandoned house when escaping with Sue? If it was blocked with debri then you probably did something wrong, but you have to enter it instead of escaping to alter the ending.

Yeah, I tried to, but it was locked :(

Opa-Pa

Yeah, I tried to, but it was locked :(

Ow that sucks. Did you get the iron bond from Curly at the Plantation? Missing that is the most common mistake, I think I had to aim for the best ending my third time because of it too haha. It's so fun though that I didn't mind.

There's no pic of the Samus costume?

https://nextn-cdn-nextn.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/1706-23-Cave-Story-02-600x338.jpg

She remains with her head exposed after that fight.

Seik

Banned
Yeah, sounds like I fucked up.

I used my life pot during the
Zombie Core fight.

Now I'm in
Hell and barely manage to reach the fucking boss at the end with all these fucking cherubs in the way
...is it the end after that or is there more forms?! o_O

Danny Dudekisser

Ow that sucks.

I think the mistake I made was
that after I used the tow cable to haul Curly back, I put let her rest in that one room, but didn't read the book or whatever it was.
At least, going by what the manual says.

But it's fine. I'll just start a new game tonight and see if I can't figure it the fuck out.

Yeah, sounds like I fucked up.

I used my life pot during the
Zombie Core fight.

Now I'm in
Hell and barely manage to reach the fucking boss at the end with all these fucking cherubs in the way
...is it the end after that or is there more forms?! o_O

If you mean the
giant robot thing that charges its laser
then
you're not even close as you've got 4 more boss fights after that with NO CHECKPOINTS

If you mean
Ballos in his giant ball form with the spiked floor, spinning platforms and cherubs surrounding it, then you're at the very last boss

Seik

Banned
If you mean the
giant robot thing that charges its laser
then
you're not even close as you've got 4 more boss fights after that with NO CHECKPOINTS

LMAO

Better start over then, and me who thought I did everything perfectly.

No big deal though, game is highly enjoyable.

I've heard this game mentioned A LOT of the past few years, but have somehow managed to not play any version of it, or really learn anything about what kind of game it actually is.

Just got a Switch though and am thinking about picking this up.

What is this game all about exactly? Just looking for a general description of mechanics, etc.

rpmurphy

I've heard this game mentioned A LOT of the past few years, but have somehow managed to not play any version of it, or really learn anything about what kind of game it actually is.

What is this game all about exactly? Just looking for a general description of mechanics, etc.
It's a 2D platforming adventure game that plays a lot like Metroid but more story-driven. Your character shoots with a variety of guns, you explore the environment for power-ups and secrets, and there's challenging boss fights.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Ha, you're the same as me. I just got a Switch and looking for something else play, and I got this on the recommendation of this thread.

I only gave it a test run of about 30 minutes, it was fun so far! Looking forward to getting more into next week

Crayolan

If you don't get the spur and nemesis don't even try to take on the true end

The Nemesis is a flat out downgrade to the Blade. If you're right on top of an enemy, level 2 blade will come out as fast as you can mash which gives it insane damage output and makes it a great boss killer. If you know what you're doing (or don't know what you're doing but have a life pot) you can use the blade to end each of the final boss phases in seconds.

Spur is better for the true end but machine gun is manageable. By the time you're good enough to beat it you probably won't be taking much damage along the way anyway.

arimanius

It to late to get the keychain and pouch from GameStop? I usually always buy my games at Best Buy but I'll make an exception if it's not to late for the keychain.

Danny Dudekisser

Sooo... the final segment
has to all be done in one go? No save points or anything?
That's pretty rough. I was (I think) close to the end... but I think a bit of practice should sort this out.

me0wish

Sooo... the final segment
has to all be done in one go? No save points or anything?
That's pretty rough. I was (I think) close to the end... but I think a bit of practice should sort this out.

You can farm hearts at the mini boss, and you can destroy the statues after the mini boss for a chance to get hearts. Having a life pot up to this section and make things significantly easier.

The Nemesis is a flat out downgrade to the Blade. If you're right on top of an enemy, level 2 blade will come out as fast as you can mash which gives it insane damage output and makes it a great boss killer. If you know what you're doing (or don't know what you're doing but have a life pot) you can use the blade to end each of the final boss phases in seconds.

Spur is better for the true end but machine gun is manageable. By the time you're good enough to beat it you probably won't be taking much damage along the way anyway.

While this is technically true at the highest speed running level, for a first time player nemesis is a much easier weapon to have for that point in the game since odds are they're gonna take hits and struggle to keep the blade at level 2.

deadfolk

Add me to the list of people who have somehow never played this game, despite seeing praised heaped upon it for years.

Is it roguelike/proc gen or a more traditional platformer?

Top Bottom