• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With XB1X and PS4 Pro. Can we expect this generation to last longer?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
People keep saying this and i don't understand. What lesson did they learn? That they can make profit continuously without having to more often spend millions on r&d for new consoles? That devs want them to wait longer between generations because it takes longer now to get their engines and tool chains up to scratch and since it takes longer they want to be able to spend longer in that sweet spot?

Seriously what did they learn
IIRC yearly console sales started to drop after 5 or 6 years.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Wouldn't Sony want this generation to stay on as long as it can?

Sony is too good in a position to start PS5 anytime soon

They will milk this long as possible like every other dominant console. A dominant market leader has to be dragged into a new generation. Until there is another next generation machine there will be nothing from Sony.

I don't really feel the need for a new generation just yet. Days Gone, Spider-Man, God of War, Uncharted and Horizon all look absolutely amazing and I'm sure the 1X will blow me away too.

Just don't really see the point yet, maybe to remove the CPU bottleneck but even then I doubt it would be utilsied over fidelity anyway.

It'd be exciting, I'm just not sure how necessary it is yet.

Floody

At the start of the gen I thought PS5 will be either 2019/20, I still think PS5 is definitely out before 2021.

maus

I really don't understand the console space right now. How could sony/msoft possibly be expected to one-up the pro/onex in any appreciable way in only 2-3 years?

I guess the holdout is that the current gen is very cpu bottlenecked?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing it will last around 7-8 years like last gen. Fine by me, the more frequent consoles start updating the more apt I am to just drop them and go all in on PC where I can just upgrade components instead of replace whole consoles.

When they decided that 60 fps is important, then start a new generation. That's what I want. But I also want to win the powerball. Wonder which happens first.

mclem

I did note that Microsoft were - in some cases - framing 1X as a new generation in itself; making the point about how it would be compatible with all old titles, when - in my eyes - that's something I'd personally regarded as implicit anyway - it's implicit if you see it as a continuation of the current generation, but not automatically implicit if you regard it as a new gen in itself.

I suspect - in three-four years or so - we'll get a new Xbox, the games running on 1X but not 1 - but the way the stopgap generations have played out, that wouldn't be implied to be a new generation either.

(That's if the 1X works as a sales force, of course. If it flops... who knows?)

mclem

4k TV adoption is still hovering around 10-20% this year, so I very much doubt there will be a need for 'next gen' until at least 2020 or beyond.

That sounds high to me. Although I'm speaking from an EU outlook, maybe they're more pervasive in the US?

Apt101

That sounds high to me. Although I'm speaking from an EU outlook, maybe they're more pervasive in the US?

I haven't personally met a person in the US who doesn't have a 4K TV in years. Personal anecdote and all. So 20% sounds really low to me. Hell, I don't think the local BestBuy even has 1080p TV's that aren't tiny on display.

Playsage

PS5 will be teased by PSX 2019

Also, if Sucker Punch game doesn't make the cut for PSX this year, I believe it has been repurposed as a PS5 launch title

Markoman

No, PS5 2019 mark my words. For people with day one PS4s and no interest in Pro or X 2020/2021 is a 7/8 year cycle. Not going to happen again.

And what if MS goes for a 3 year cycle from now on? The may release Xbox 2 in 2020/2021.

Dosia

I haven't personally met a person in the US who doesn't have a 4K TV in years. Personal anecdote and all. So 20% sounds really low to me. Hell, I don't think the local BestBuy even has 1080p TV's that aren't tiny on display.

None of my family or close friends owns a 4k set yet. I may jump in with a C7, but I am waiting on CES to see what improvements are made for next years models. 4k is not mainstream yet, not even close.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
2019, 2020.

The only issue is the mid gen refreshes didnt come out at the same time.

If Sony releases release the PS5 in 2019 I dont think MS will release their next gen system in 2019.

We might have an ongoing 1 year staggered head start for Nintendo, MS and Sony.

There are no more generations.
Think of iPhones/Samsungs

Those still have generations.

They also have tiers: low end, mid range, high end.

Their generations are just a whole lot shorter than consoles.

Not sure about Sony, but console Generations are a thing of the past for Microsoft. Your X1X will likely last you at least another 8 years, as it will be forwards compatible with the next Xbox, and all your games will carry over.i also expect all accessories will almost assuredly carry over as well.

All systems are on X86 architecture now, and dev tools aren't likely going to drastically change, they will moreso evolve. Think of things as being more fluid now, kind of like how on PC all your games and accessories still work on your new PC.

I have a felling with the amount of time Microsoft has put into backwards compatibility with 360 and now Xbox games they won't be having a "next gen" as such, I'm not sure people would accept losing their digital library and having to start again..

Do you think Sony will do the same with the PS5 or start with a clean slate?

Carn82

There are no more generations.
Think of iPhones/Samsungs

There's no such things as "Gens" anymore.
Hardware will just get updated, older models will become obsolete.

ahem:

What becomes clear is that Sony itself - perhaps unlike its rival - does not believe that the concept of the console hardware generation is over. Cerny has a number of criteria he believes amounts to a reset in gaming power: primarily, a new CPU architecture and vastly increased memory allocation.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

The PlayStation 4 Pro uses the same architecture as its older sibling, and thus, by Cerny's definition, it's not the start of a new generation -- just an attempt to breathe new life into the current one. It's also, he was careful to state repeatedly, not the death knell for console generations as we know it. ”We don't believe that generations are going away. They are truly healthy for the industry, and for the gaming community," he said. ”It's just that the objectives for PS4 Pro are quite different."
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/283611/Inside_the_PlayStation_4_Pro_with_Mark_Cerny.php#tophead

I think Internet infrastructure will play a bigger part on deciding the timeframe for the next boxes.

With what we have now, I can't see people investing in consoles with games sized 200gb plus.

I mean shit, Gears 4, Halo 5 and BF1 are all pretty close to 100gigs each.

Surely new consoles would mean bigger games

dalyr95

I doubt it. You have to remember now, life cycles are dependent on CPU releases. Pro/XX were released cause AMD had better chips. There's nothing in the pipeline for the next few years which is going to be game changing.

2020 at the earliest.
This is my general feeling as well. Games take a lot longer to make now, and as a result it just doesn't feel like a generation that's approaching its end. I think this generation could potentially be the longest yet, especially if more significant hardware revisions are still to come.

Next year I think we will see price drops on the hardware, and the year after that miniaturization or redesign as well as exclusive games as those platforms shift to be the "main" console platform and the gen will kind of reset. I feel like we're at best 5-6 years away from PS5/Xbox Next.

Definitely can see the OG PS4/XBOne chips being redesigned into being built into TVs, small diskless STBs, and maybe even portables in a years' time.

Kill3r7

Nah, I think we get new consoles by 2020. By that point 4K adoption will be the norm and the CPUs will need updating.

Markoman

God I hope not. Can we just enjoy the slow ride for once?

Have you heard about PS4 Pro And Xbox One X?
If anything, things will be sped up from now on.

I really don't get the confused logic on Gaf sometimes.
"Pro and X are ok, because they don't diminish PS4 and X1" - Ok, so we can assume that those system are a niche market, which means on the other hand that tons of people in 2020 will own a 5-7 year old system
"Sony doesn't need a PS5 because their sales are not slowing down" - Still they have released a "half-assed" iteration in 2016.

I don't get the fear? Most people are buying new phones every 2-4 years.
There will be lots of cross-plattform games I assume in 2019, 2020: Next GTA will be released with PS 4, Pro and PS5 in mind. Last of US 2 will be a PS4 and PS5 game. Runnig at 4K, 60 fps on the new machine. Where's the problem?

Carn82

Well what defines a new generation?

I don't see Sony making a PS5 now and not allowing PS4 games to be played on it.

Chances are that PS5 will play PS4 games (if they stick with x86), but not the other way around. If Sony partners up with AMD again and if they make PS5 run on a Zen + Vega/Navi based APU than it will be significantly more powerful than the current gen.

Brofield

Christ, who knows. Either you argue Nintendo already started the new generation, or it's starting up in a year and a half with a PS5 or XB5.2.

This thread only made me realize how stupid the concept of generations are in today's modern gaming industry. Everything is upside down and we're all in uncharted territory, unsure of what to expect. These are multibillion dollar companies who are only now reacting to the disposable tech market and we're seeing the ball rolling and picking up speed. It's a slow and painful death to imagine a 7 year long generation again but as others have mentioned, we're in year 4 technically (or Nintendo is in year <1). Intervals are ancient now, we need something more gradient to describe generations, like colours. We can argue Nintendo is in a purple cycle with the Switch, young and fresh, PS4 and Xbox one are in the green having hit their stride in terms of games, and with the advancements of Pro and the 'bonks they're looking at yellow and yellow-orange, respectively, the hardware itself evolving and maturing but hitting a peak before they inevitably have to build a new console from scratch.

Nikodemos

The next PS and XB will have baked-in backwards compatibility since they're running on the same processor platform at higher speeds. Whether the halfway iterations (Pro, 1X) will be able to run their games at degraded performance/details is something we have to wait and see about.

Sure, I think that is the whole point. Maybe not much longer but similar to the previous one. Plus next gen won't be until 7nm tech is readily available and matured a little.

And this gen has plenty of life left in it. Red Dead is only coming next year and I suspect a GTAVI too before this gen is out...

With the 7nm manufacturing process going into risk production this year, we could be seeing volume production by the back end of 2018.

That means that by 2019, 7nm will be a mature process and ripe for new-gen consoles.

I don't see Sony waiting till 2020 if the manufacturing technology is there for a 2019 launch.

We could very well see PS5 launching in the fall of 2019.

Edit:
If PS4 continues selling on its current trajectory, they'll hit 100m PS4s by the end of 2019. That would be the perfect time to launch PS5.

I thought the whole point of mid-gen refreshes was to make the gen go longer.

Possibly, although I do think a part of the justification for them is to prevent the higher end gamers with the most disposable income moving off to PC to play multiplatform games there where they can access more modern hardware.

Top Bottom