• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo UK interviews Mario + Rabbids' creative director, reflects on the reveal.

fernoca

GOTY

Poor the other Mario.
Poor female Zelda.
Poor everyone.
Hahaha! XD

But yeah. Game seemed nice in the leaks. I like the Rabbids, X-Com like...why not?

The reveal then was everything I imagined. It just looked perfect.

Glad he's having the time of his life. Just hope it sells well enough.

mas8705

I was thinking of posting that oh so popular gif of the man who breaks into tears again, but this picture feels so much better to post.

DCrUucVXkAEbNbJ.jpg

Amazing what can happen in one week's time. Going from a creative director to an instant liked guy who has been able to convinced people to play this XCOM-like game with Mario and Rabbids in it. Also I had no idea that this was done in a matter of three weeks too make Mario and Luigi from scratch and to pitch this game to Nintendo and they loved almost immediately. Can't wait to give it a show when it comes out in two months.

I was thinking of posting that oh so popular gif of the man who breaks into tears again, but this picture feels so much better to post.

DCrUucVXkAEbNbJ.jpg

Amazing what can happen in one week's time. Going from a creative director to an instant liked guy who has been able to convinced people to play this XCOM-like game with Mario and Rabbids in it. Also I had no idea that this was done in a matter of three weeks too make Mario and Luigi from scratch and to pitch this game to Nintendo and they loved almost immediately. Can't wait to give it a show when it comes out in two months.

Haha awesome pic.

Grazie! Is there an overworld jump also?

I don't think so. You don't ever directly control Mario & pals IIRC, you control this weird little UFO thing and they follow you around. I don't think I've seen any gameplay where it jumps and they follow but I've also not gone out of my way to watch too much, so... maybe? But probably not.

Ninja Dom

This is why the leaks annoyed me.

The information made people wrongly assume bad things about the game and I hope those behind the leaks think twice before doing the same thing again.

It must have been hurtful after all the hard work the team had put in to see comments online off the back of the leaks and not be able to prove them wrong right there and then.

I'm glad the reveal instantly turned around perception of the game in most people's eyes.

I was a harsh critic of the idea of the game before E3.

I just didn't want the Rabbids fucking up my Mario Universe. I don't like the style or design of the Rabbids.

After the reveal at E3 I will admit that the game looks great. I still don't like the Rabbids and I wonder if you can successfully make a team that doesn't have them.

I'll purchase the game Day 1. Congratulations to the team.

maxcriden

I don't think so. You don't ever directly control Mario & pals IIRC, you control this weird little UFO thing and they follow you around. I don't think I've seen any gameplay where it jumps and they follow but I've also not gone out of my way to watch too much, so... maybe? But probably not.

Oh, neat. Thanks for the info! And I gather there are overworld puzzles or interaction of some sort?

mas8705

This is why the leaks annoyed me.

The information made people wrongly assume bad things about the game and I hope those behind the leaks think twice before doing the same thing again.

It must have been hurtful after all the hard work the team had put in to see comments online off the back of the leaks and not be able to prove them wrong right there and then.

I'm glad the reveal instantly turned around perception of the game in most people's eyes.

I hear you on that. For myself, I admit I was half/half on it when it was first leaked. It wasn't that I was totally against the idea, but let's be honest: Mario and Rabbids with guns? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen...

That said, I admit that I wanted to at least see the gameplay before I was too critical on it, and what they did is nothing short of commendable to keep the feel of Mario while also allowing for some rather brilliant tactics. Just saw a video with Achievement Hunters on the ubisoft page and they did a thing to where they first used a warp pipe to get behind an enemy, tackled them to do some damage, hopped into another pipe, used one of the rabbids to reposition themselves closer to the enemy while hiding behind cover, and then finishing them off with a well placed shot. If the game is going to have some crazy tactics like that where you can do these crazy combos, I can see this game definitely succeeding well. As I said before in the above post, can't wait for the game to come out in two months.

Budi

It's crazy how cynical people approached this, and how clear it is that it's passion project now.

I always believed! Though I was saying in one of those leak threads that unfortunately it probably wont be like XCOM, but oh boy is it ever.

MoonFrog

I might buy this game. That's a lot of movement for me from where I was prior to E3. Game looks pretty interesting.

Neiteio

One of my favorite qualities of this game are the environments. Such handsomely detailed dioramas. Looking forward to studying them up close.

Axass

This is what happens when you let a fan work on a famous IP instead of having games made by executives or through focus groups.

You can feel the love and respect for Mario oozing from the game.

"But the Rabbids reference their anatomy and do slapstick bits which offends my Highly Refined Game Comedy Sensibilities®."

More congrats to this dude. Game looks brilliant, and being a fellow Mario fan makes me even more happy for him. Very happy when passionate people get to make the game they want.

Oh, neat. Thanks for the info! And I gather there are overworld puzzles or interaction of some sort?

I assume so! Or at least I hope so, I feel like just going from battle to battle with nothing but running through useless terrain in between would get old super quick. I don't remember seeing anything since they were focusing so much on how the battles work but again, I'm also not going out of my way to watch everything about the game cause I want it to all be new when I buy it :D

maxcriden

I assume so! Or at least I hope so, I feel like just going from battle to battle with nothing but running through useless terrain in between would get old super quick. I don't remember seeing anything since they were focusing so much on how the battles work but again, I'm also not going out of my way to watch everything about the game cause I want it to all be new when I buy it :D

Same here! Well, that would make sense as you said so fingers definitely crossed!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Also, because a few rumours started on the internet, prior to our announcement, a few people made their own assumptions about the game, but now they can play it and they have changed their minds! They’re having fun and that is the biggest reward ever.

Seriously cannot imagine the emotional rollercoaster this guy has been on. From people looking at those leaked images with disgust, to being received as probably one of the most fascinating games at E3 this year, with your company's boss and childhood inspiration cheering you on this stage in-front of hundreds and hundreds of people, with countless thousands more at home?

Like... shit.

Really great interview and happy for him and his team at Ubisoft Paris and Milan that worked on this game. I'm definitely interested in this and probably getting this Day One. I love tactical games and seeing how much love and care is being brought to this game is making me even more interested (even if I don't care for the Rabbids).

taoofjord

I want this game so bad. I adore tactical combat and the game is ridiculously gorgeous and looks super fun. I hope all goes well with the game and this is not the end of Nintendo's collaboration with Ubisoft.

taoofjord

Pretty sure Miyamoto explicitly asked them to not make a "jumping game".

Falchion

That's awesome. It's crazy that they were able to come up with replica versions of the Mario assets in such a short amount of time for the meeting.

hatchx

Banned
One of my favorite qualities of this game are the environments. Such handsomely detailed dioramas. Looking forward to studying them up close.

Looking forward to your screen grab thread too!

Game went from 'no way' to day 1. The gameplay and presentation look absolutely fantastic.

Top Bottom