• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

wetwired

I've been working on my batcave display for a while now with very little to show for it (considering the time I've spent on it)

I rebuilt the roof for the 5th and last time tonight after having to take it off to put the railings on the rotating platforms. I've set up some lighting inside to help set the mood.

Excuse the potato pics, I'll get better ones when it's more complete

HGqoKGP.jpg

With the roof on the next step is making the opening into that platform turntable more cave like and interesting, waterfalls will spill over each side over some rocks as well

The whole thing is 75cm square and made to be viewed from a 45 degree angle so I decided to fill in some of the little areas that would otherwise be flat walls or rocks with little vingettes of villians. For this bottom level I decided on ras al ghul and talia in the lazarus pit, on the other side a sewer or generic brick structure overgrown with vines by poison ivy.

RsOBNxM.jpg

nEQTh3b.jpg

Still lots more to do on both areas, some ground detailing on the right of the lazarus pit area and lots more plants on poison ivy's side

I've been working on my batcave display for a while now with very little to show for it (considering the time I've spent on it)

I rebuilt the roof for the 5th and last time tonight after having to take it off to put the railings on the rotating platforms. I've set up some lighting inside to help set the mood.

Excuse the potato pics, I'll get better ones when it's more complete

With the roof on the next step is making the opening into that platform turntable more cave like and interesting, waterfalls will spill over each side over some rocks as well

The whole thing is 75cm square and made to be viewed from a 45 degree angle so I decided to fill in some of the little areas that would otherwise be flat walls or rocks with little vingettes of villians. For this bottom level I decided on ras al ghul and talia in the lazarus pit, on the other side a sewer or generic brick structure overgrown with vines by poison ivy.

Still lots more to do on both areas, some ground detailing on the right of the lazarus pit area and lots more plants on poison ivy's side

Nice! What are you plans for the batcomputer?

wetwired

Nice! What are you plans for the batcomputer?

I can't draw for shit so you'll have to use your imagination, here's the rough layout (minus the vignettes)

myVWEnZ.jpg

The central column in the middle of the platform with the batmobiles will continue up through the middle (though it won't rotate like the bottom) and the batcomputer will be on a round platform on top of it, roughly halfway up the whole cave. It'll be somewhat like TLBM one, shaped like a bat logo.

There's a circular channel of water around it which will spill down over the sides of the batmobile platform entrance with the water sourced from waterfalls trickling out of the walls.

The red area is a bat logo shaped opening in the wall with a moving conveyer with batsuits inside it like in TLBM and if there's room some armoury stuff

The top left platform I'm not sure yet, behind it all I'll probably have some batpoles but on the platform itself I'd like to put just a single batmobile (probably the keaton/burton one) but then I need to make or buy another to fill in the gap below.

At the very top is the keaton/burton batwing mounted vertically with probably a catwalk or a platform or something to get it to it and probably backlit (or maybe in front of the waterfall) to help the bat symbol shape pop

I haven't watched The Brick Show in a while, and just saw their "biggest sets ever". Ummm... what a weird video. It's not accurate, to begin with. It doesn't mention that there are two Death Stars with different parts counts. It includes pictures of a MOC Millennium Falcon. It keeps droning on about insignificant details of some sets and barely mentions others. And then ends with some prize collection Chima box that isn't even a set - it explicitly says it contains 25 sets on the picture shown!

Maybe a better question is: why the hell am I wasting time on TBS?

I haven't watched The Brick Show in a while, and just saw their "biggest sets ever". Ummm... what a weird video. It's not accurate, to begin with. It doesn't mention that there are two Death Stars with different parts counts. It includes pictures of a MOC Millennium Falcon. It keeps droning on about insignificant details of some sets and barely mentions others. And then ends with some prize collection Chima box that isn't even a set - it explicitly says it contains 25 sets on the picture shown!

Maybe a better question is: why the hell am I wasting time on TBS?

Great question. They're actually coming to Buffalo for a convention and I have no plans on attending. I can't stand their videos. I'll definitely be at Brickfete again this year as I've had a great time the last 2 years and It's half the price of the Brickshow con.

Stopped by my local Barnes and noble and the have three space shuttles for the 50% off. I am trying hard not to buy them all even though I already bought one when it came out.

Well, anecdotally I've seen a few kids interested in it, but it was also the last thing to go during the big sale. Even at 70% off they had a huge batch of sets just sitting there. That and constraction Rey.

Probably gonna get the Ultra Agents send off of going TRU only and in limited release. They won't just can it and not sell anything after going through the design and marketing work for it. They have probably already started manufacturing some of it.

And I need my SCUD.

Ryuuroden

Need the traditional medieval theme to come back. Make it a bit more appealing to adults and add medieval fantasy elements to it. Make the builds a bit more detailed. What I would really like is to see an expert line of medieval buildings with the detail derfal cadarn builds have. Honestly the last time castle as well as pirates came back they were too simplified in builds.

DonShula

Need the traditional medieval theme to come back. Make it a bit more appealing to adults and add medieval fantasy elements to it. Make the builds a bit more detailed. What I would really like is to see an expert line of medieval buildings with the detail derfal cadarn builds have. Honestly the last time castle as well as pirates came back they were too simplified in builds.

THIS.

Although that would probably come a bit too close to Elves depending on how they go about it.

ghostmind

I can see the summer wave being the final one, but I can't see the sets that have already been shown not be released at all, though they may only see the light of day in specific regions (either EU or USA).

ghostmind

The Last Jedi set prices (in Euros) for Force Friday has been discovered:

Sets
75176 – €39.99
75177 – €59.99
75179 – €79.99
75187 – €99.99
75188 – €109.99
75189 – €139.99
75190 – €149.99

Buildable Figures
75526 – €19.99
75528 – €24.99
75529 – €24.99
75530 – €34.99

A bit more expensive than for TFA - these were the set prices for Force Friday in 2015:

75099 - €26.99
75100 - €49.99
75101 - €69.99
75102 - €89.99
75103 - €99.99
75104 - €119.99
75105 - €149.99

Nexo Knights being cancelled? Can't say I liked the look of many sets, I just wanted the minifigs.

Shame, I really liked year 1. The kings mech, jestro's evil mobile, and clays rumble blade were great and had a really neat 'retro future' anime type feel with lots of neat plays on medieval themes. Wasn't a fan of year 2, felt like they dropped the ball there. The color schemes were inconsistent and the designs were less focused, also the rock enemies were a little too generic and bland for my liking.

DonShula

The Last Jedi set prices (in Euros) for Force Friday has been discovered:

Sets
75176 – €39.99
75177 – €59.99
75179 – €79.99
75187 – €99.99
75188 – €109.99
75189 – €139.99
75190 – €149.99

Buildable Figures
75526 – €19.99
75528 – €24.99
75529 – €24.99
75530 – €34.99

A bit more expensive than for TFA - these were the set prices for Force Friday in 2015:

75099 - €26.99
75100 - €49.99
75101 - €69.99
75102 - €89.99
75103 - €99.99
75104 - €119.99
75105 - €149.99

So set aside $725 USD then and tell my wife the furnace broke. Got it.

kaiju

My two daughter's got some Elves sets for Easter, and I couldn't help but notice that the castle piece from the Queen Dragon set adds some nice depth to the Shadow Castle.

KT5C9hi.jpg

JBodbtb.jpg

That would be sweet.

They also need to shelve the same-old same-old CITY stuff for something similar but better, like...

FUTURE CITY

All the normal CITY stuff but futurefied. Could get some great sci-fi stuff that wouldn't just be space police/military etc.

That would be sweet.

They also need to shelve the same-old same-old CITY stuff for something similar but better, like...

FUTURE CITY

All the normal CITY stuff but futurefied. Could get some great sci-fi stuff that wouldn't just be space police/military etc.
I didn't know I wanted this. Now I feel like I did so forever

That would be sweet.

FUTURE CITY

Problem is that there is perpetual demand for fire truck and police stuff so they always have to have new ones of those every year, that shit is as standard for boys as barbies for girls

gsrjedi

They could do a future city in the place of arctic base or lava base.

I only have the Parisian Restaurant modular, but I'd be interested in a modular style (or more adult oriented) police and fire and hospital sets

Friends is great but I am not a fan of its colors. I would prefer a more realistic cityline.
While I think much of the Friends line goes way overboard on the colors, much of the series is top notch for little details and providing things City doesn't. It is fun doing color subs on some of the sets and seeing how they turn out.

And it is cool to get some more extreme colors for MOCs.

While I think much of the Friends line goes way overboard on the colors, much of the series is top notch for little details and providing things City doesn't. It is fun doing color subs on some of the sets and seeing how they turn out.

How about the Lego DC Super Hero Girls set? That Superhero High School and Eclipso's Palace looks futuristic / sci-fi.

nny

So I'm going to Legoland in a few days. Is there anything exclusive there I should be looking out for?

They should have the Legoland train (40166) in the store. If you're going to Billund's Legoland, don't forget that the stores around town have the LEGO House set.

leng jai

They should have the Legoland train (40166) in the store. If you're going to Billund's Legoland, don't forget that the stores around town have the LEGO House set.

I'll be going to the in Kyoto if that makes any difference. Train set doesn't look great, would love to grab the House though.

papluh

Never read about Kyoto, thought the Japan one should be opening in Nagoya (actually thought it was Osaka and google corrected me)...
If it is the new one, there might be some specials.
Also German Legoland had the mini VW Beetle for normal purchase for a while ...

I somehow wound up with four Lego batman movie sets on the way. Oops.

I guess the joker lowrider will soon spend a year or five cruising up and down my modular street

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
heh, Nabii (should be Mark Stafford) blasting Brickset's article title and rumor spreading on Nexo :D
https://brickset.com/article/27598/is-nexo-knights-coming-to-an-early-end#comment197890
Good news then.

I dont have much affinity to Nexo Knights but I would be worried if it was cancelled. Getting a new Big Bang theme in its place would take what 2/3 years planning and the cancellation would leave a gap without anything to replace it as such, plus monetary loss obv.

Ive not picked up any of the Year 2 sets but the ones I did get from Year 1 are great. I know its designed for a younger market but it seems to be a much better strategy than Chima ever was. Reading Brickset I dont know why there's so much hate for it (by AFOLs?)- just move on if its not for you but recognise its ticking a lot of the correct boxes for the younger audience.

Good news then.

I dont have much affinity to Nexo Knights but I would be worried if it was cancelled. Getting a new Big Bang theme in its place would take what 2/3 years planning and the cancellation would leave a gap without anything to replace it as such, plus monetary loss obv.

Ive not picked up any of the Year 2 sets but the ones I did get from Year 1 are great. I know its designed for a younger market but it seems to be a much better strategy than Chima ever was. Reading Brickset I dont know why there's so much hate for it (by AFOLs?)- just move on if its not for you but recognise its ticking a lot of the correct boxes for the younger audience.

I like the characters and the general design. The thing I don't like is that, like with Chima, all the action features turn the sets into Technic builds with wings and cockpits strapped on. Once you break them down, aside from a few awesome parts like the pyramids and shields, you're stuck with a bunch of random parts that can't be used for much.

I dont know why there's so much hate for it (by AFOLs?)- just move on if its not for you but recognise its ticking a lot of the correct boxes for the younger audience.

It is a well thought theme, a nice mix-up of medieval and future, but I guess that is the reason most AFOLs dislike it: With this theme running, Lego won't issue any classic looking medieval or castle sets. But they forgot that there was a Castle line some years ago and it seems that it wasn't that popular.

Shoot there were definitely a couple nexo knights sets I wanted from wave 1. Guess they're gone by now.
It is a well thought theme, a nice mix-up of medieval and future, but I guess that is the reason most AFOLs dislike it: With this theme running, Lego won't issue any classic looking medieval or castle sets. But they forgot that there was a Castle line some years ago and it seems that it wasn't that popular.
Well yeah it was the most boring straightforward rendition of the theme possible. The stuff from years ago that people online get nostalgic about was a fair bit different.

3N16MA

Banned

Friends sets go crazy on the little details.

Nodnol

Hello fellow enablers....

A lot of sets seem to be going on offer at the moment, I guess because the new lines are round the corner.

So, what should I pick up?

Krennic's shuttle? Kylo's shuttle? Poe's X-Wing?

None of the first lot of sets coming this year so anything for me....except maybe the Quadjumper.

Osahi

Hello fellow enablers....

A lot of sets seem to be going on offer at the moment, I guess because the new lines are round the corner.

So, what should I pick up?

Krennic's shuttle? Kylo's shuttle? Poe's X-Wing?

None of the first lot of sets coming this year so anything for me....except maybe the Quadjumper.

ALL OF THEM!

Just kidding. Depends what you fancy offcourse. The X-Wing is iconic, and a great set, but you have to like the color scheme.

Krennic shuttle is a terrific set, and very, very cool looking in flight mode. But not as displayable with the wings folded, so you'll need to build some stand to have it in it's best position. Also, this is clearly a one off vehicle, that won't appear in new movies and probably not in a new set anytime soon (if ever). Make of that what you will...

Kylo's shuttle is amazing as a model, and can easily be posed in flight mode (only the underside of the wings need to be folded without a custom stand, and those are tiny). But... it's not actually accurate. The wings don't fold out, the color scheme is off... If you find stuff like that important, this is not a set for you. It's also possible this ship will appear in the whole trilogy, so a new better set in the (nearish) future is a possibility. (On the other hand, with Lego downsizing new versions of done before vehicles, you never know if the future one will be as cool as this one)

just get all of them. Okay?

Thank you to the kind folks who posted about the B&N clearance sale. Today I was driving by there and luckily remembered, swooped in and walked out with a Morro Dragon and First Order Transporter at half price. They still had 2-3 of each plus the Spaceport, Fire Station and the Minecraft sets.

Thank you to the kind folks who posted about the B&N clearance sale. Today I was driving by there and luckily remembered, swooped in and walked out with a Morro Dragon and First Order Transporter at half price. They still had 2-3 of each plus the Spaceport, Fire Station and the Minecraft sets.

Lucky. Mine had one Minecraft set and two ROTJ Luke contsraction figs. ;_;

Top Bottom