• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Guess I'll formally introduce myself.

1. Pick a Coast to rep - West
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? - WC Gansta / G Funk
3. Favorite Artists - Kendrick / Kanye / Outkast / Death Grips / MF Doom
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop - My Bloody Valentine / Cocteau Twins / New Order / DIIV / Frank Ocean
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? - Last year was Tribe, don't have one yet this year, still need to listen to Raekwon's new album.
6. What are you listening to right now? – Forever Changes by Love, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain by Pavement.
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? - Haven't listened to a lot of Jay Z. Guilty pleasure is probably Odd Future.
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums) Mm... Food > Madvillainy > Operation Doomsday > Born Like This

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? -
This is super white of me to say but I wish a *little* more emphasis was placed on lyrics.

2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? -
Raekwon / GZA

3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? -
Nas and Pac.

4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? -
Kendrick I guess.

5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated?
Overrated? Kanye. Underrated? Big Boi.

6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? -
Depends on the girl.

7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? -
Both.

8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? -
Nah

9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? -
Best pop artist is Kanye, for better or worse.

10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... –
Failed an archeology midterm.
Welcome my dude we have very similar tastes outside hip hop especially.

i can get not liking nas' music but how can you call him a trash RAPPER? word play, story telling, schemes, if you don't like them sure, but that doesn't make them bad at what they do.

you can hate an architect's designs but that doesn't make them a bad architect.

LionPride

Banned
i can get not liking nas' music but how can you call him a trash RAPPER? word play, story telling, schemes, if you don't like them sure, but that doesn't make them bad at what they do.

you can hate an architect's designs but that doesn't make them a bad architect.
I don't like him and I don't think he's good. At all. I have tried. Many times. It's past I don't like him.

how is that "super white"?
Well, it's become almost stereotypical for primarily white folks to dismiss rap today as nothing more than gibberish being said over blown out bass. You know the type of person, who'll dismiss rap as nothing more than drugs and violence and hoes and immediately say how amazing Immortal Technique or Eminem is because they can rap, to which you counter they rap about nonsense, to which they counter "yeah well at least I can understand unlike that Young Uzi Savage 31 trash you like."

Nas is amazing. he hasn't made a good album in like fucking 20 years now or some shit. but man he can still go off on the occasional guest verse.

if only he didn't have such a trash ear for production. somebody send him a folder full of alchemist beats or some shit.

LionPride

Banned
Well, it's become almost stereotypical for primarily white folks to dismiss rap today as nothing more than gibberish being said over blown out bass. You know the type of person, who'll dismiss rap as nothing more than drugs and violence and hoes and immediately say how amazing Immortal Technique or Eminem is because they can rap, to which you counter they rap about nonsense, to which they counter "yeah well at least I can understand unlike that Young Uzi Savage 31 trash you like."
Which itself is dumb, because plenty of us do that same shit, but I think because of Em it's beem attributed to the white folks

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
didn't Kanye say he promised Obama he would produce an entire album for Nas or something like that

where's that at

Nas is amazing. he hasn't made a good album in like fucking 20 years now or some shit. but man he can still go off on the occasional guest verse.

if only he didn't have such a trash ear for production. somebody send him a folder full of alchemist beats or some shit.

wtf. His last album was good and IWW>Illmatic. Stillmatic is a classic and gods son is pretty great. I never got the beat thing since he has plenty of great beats.

Part of it is pettiness, that the much better group, 8Ball & MJG, didn't make it big outside of the region. The other part is not liking any of their music. They won a fucking Grammy for some shit.

8Ball and MJG are great, I can agree with that.

Regarding that Grammy win, I always thought that was kind of unfortunate, because the song that won a Grammy was....honestly pretty trash. But Triple Six's early material is where it's at and why they're my favorite rap group (though I like Most Known Unknown and Da Unbreakables well enough). In all, the group was very different from what they were doing when they were mainstream.

This 808s & Heartbreak concert recording got me wishing for a re-recorded version of the album done all orchestrally or at least remixed under the guidance of Caroline Shaw.

Good for them, I find Nas to be a trash rapper who has fucked up many a good beat, Common just isn't good, Tupac is aight but people only know five Tupac songs and I will not proclaim someone GOAT because of potential, Biggie is the same, Eminem...yall know, and Three Six.

Also not a Big Daddy Kane fan but eh

Lil nigga shut your young ass up

Go drink some milk

Jay's verse on Shiny Suit Theory is one of the best verses of all time, holy fuck it's insanely good, if I was capable of making a top ten verses list for him that would definitely be on there.
I don't like him and I don't think he's good. At all. I have tried. Many times. It's past I don't like him.
Man I'm not even a Nas fan, but this seems absurd to me, but I have that exact issue with other artists so I can't exactly complain about someone not seeing his skill when I do the same.

This is my second time engaging in this thread as I'm not huge into hip hop, but fuck. MF DOOM's the mouse and the mask is great. Really wish Dangerdoom was still around. Love DOOM from what I've heard of his (which isn't much) what do you guys consider to be his best material?

This is my second time engaging in this thread as I'm not huge into hip hop, but fuck. MF DOOM's the mouse and the mask is great. Really wish Dangerdoom was still around. Love DOOM from what I've heard of his (which isn't much) what do you guys consider to be his best material?

My man, welcome.

Anyway, it's gotta be Madvillany, one of the best rap albums ever. You won't be disappointed.

Glass Rebel

I was disappointed when I first listened to it, nothing lived up to Accordion personally and I don't like having my peak just be the first track on an album.

APmUhHc.jpg

caliph95

Hey gaf have you heard of this new underrated under the radar Run The Jewels 3, it is pretty good i never seen people talk about it.

In serious need to catch up any good Hip hop albums this year so far really need to cacth up maybe watch some deadendhiphop

j-wood

I can't stop listening to summertime '06 after first hearing staples on that new Gorillaz track. Whew.

Lift me up, Norf Norf, Jump off the roof, and Surf on constantly.

"highway to hell and i'm speedin, one way to tell if i'm breathin, on 3 let's jump off the roof"

I can't stop listening to summertime '06 after first hearing staples on that new Gorillaz track. Whew.

Lift me up, Norf Norf, Jump off the roof, and Surf on constantly.

"highway to hell and i'm speedin, one way to tell if i'm breathin, on 3 let's jump off the roof"

Sinorita's also a favourite of mine off that. Album's full of gems

small44

Hey gaf have you heard of this new underrated under the radar Run The Jewels 3, it is pretty good i never seen people talk about it.

In serious need to catch up any good Hip hop albums this year so far really need to cacth up maybe watch some deadendhiphop

You won't find interest to underrated rappers in this topic.

Bacon

Yes,relatively.

I'd say they are one of the most popular and accessible groups in hip hop right now. I hear their music constantly in commercials and on tv shows, they basically clean up all the end of the year awards whenever they release an album. Run the jewels is pretttty far from an underground music act at this point, maybe they were after their first album but not anymore.

Saying RTJ isn't popular is horseshit. They have card packs in a major video game, regular performances on huge late night stages, regularly sell out large venues and get second-third line status on festival bills.

They're huge, not Kanye or Drake huge but still huge.

HiResDes

LMFAO

RTJ sold out Terminal 5, one of the biggest stages in NYC three nights in a row. My GF who knows jack shit about rap likes them. They mainstream brehs.

HiResDes

Been going through the staff picks on Bandcamp lately and have found some pretty great stuff:

This has that understated production and slow meticulous flow reminiscent of KA, but it's more struggle rap than gangsta in subject matter

Someone posted this earlier too, but the list just reminded me to check it out:

This is smooth as eggs, the emcee has a really strong delivery reminiscent of Jean Grae but if she rapped over the type of stuff that Noname gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom