• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

I've only completed DMC2 once with Dante and by the end of that playthrough I was already hating the game. Never actually bothered to play with Lucia.

Some people are just into these... ummm... kind of stuff... you know. *looks at GE and darkslayer*

Lol, I'm joking.

DMC2 is GOAT and you know it....
/s

I only played Dante just for completion back when HD collection was out.
Now I just want to get plat for completion sake, also I am multitasking while playing the game so its not completely brain dead.

Valtekken

Banned
I platted DMC2 when I first got the DMC HD Collection and it was actually tolerable, after raging and spilling blood on my controller because of DMC1's DMD mode.
Then after my third playthrough I quickly remembered why I hated it when I first played it on PS2. It was horrible back then and it is still horrible now, but at least it isn't as hard as all the other games. It's quite an easy plat, really.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
yeah the replays, although super short, are already killing me.

Just have to complete DMD and bloody palace... and I would never have to look at that game again.

Oh shit, Bloody Palace. I forgot all about that. I think you have to do 9999 floors in one sitting. I took me like 4 hours or something. That was the worst. I was falling asleep.

Some people are just into these... ummm... kind of stuff... you know. *looks at GE and darkslayer*

Lol, I'm joking.

Honestly it just bugged me from a neurotic standpoint because the DMC HD Collection on 360 didn't break down the achievements by game. So, if I wanted to complete the DMC HD Collection, I had to complete DMC2. It wasn't the best reason for sure, but I just had to do it.

I've beat DMC 2 twice. Once on the PS2 and once on the HD collection. Loathed it both times. Everything went wrong. From the level design being absurdly spacious with insane knockback on enemies to the guns being hilariously overpowered to the weak ass Stinger animation! THEY FUCKED UP STINGER! And apparently it was even worse before Itsuno came aboard!

Like, if it were just beating the difficulties, I might put up with it. But doing 9,999 levels of Bloody Palace in a single sitting is just like... hell no.

well in regards to bloody palace, technically it is only 90 stages if you take a certain route... but it is still 90 stages of DMC2... only trophy left...

I platted DMC2 when I first got the DMC HD Collection and it was actually tolerable, after raging and spilling blood on my controller because of DMC1's DMD mode.
Then after my third playthrough I quickly remembered why I hated it when I first played it on PS2. It was horrible back then and it is still horrible now, but at least it isn't as hard as all the other games. It's quite an easy plat, really.

yeah DMD is a flipping joke especially when DT is mega OP.

DMC2 is GOAT and you know it....
/s

I only played Dante just for completion back when HD collection was out.
Now I just want to get plat for completion sake, also I am multitasking while playing the game so its not completely brain dead.
IC2zlbpk4.gif

But yeah, I can see it being sort of a podcast game. It has to be a hell of podcast though.
Honestly it just bugged me from a neurotic standpoint because the DMC HD Collection on 360 didn't break down the achievements by game. So, if I wanted to complete the DMC HD Collection, I had to complete DMC2. It wasn't the best reason for sure, but I just had to do it.
Okay, I can understand that. You've been redeemed GE :)

believe me man, after playing 5hrs of BP I immediately went back to Nioh... My brain needs to be sterilized
Man, you sacrificing your soul to get DMC2's plat is like:

Andhera tera maine le liya
Mera ujla sitaara tere naam kiya

Hopefully you've seen the movie. Otherwise this reference won't make much sense lol

Man, you sacrificing your soul to get DMC2's plat is like:

Andhera tera maine le liya
Mera ujla sitaara tere naam kiya

Hopefully you've seen the movie. Otherwise this reference won't make much sense lol

lol I haven't seen the movie but I do understand hindi...

also secretly I wish getting the DMC2 plat is a sign for things to come...
aka DMC5 hopefully

lol I haven't seen the movie but I do understand hindi...

also secretly I wish getting the DMC2 plat is a sign for things to come...
aka DMC5 hopefully
That's the other thing that I was hoping for, hahaha. It's a good movie though, you might wanna watch it sometime :)

As for DMC5, honestly thus far 2017 has been so crazy that I'm not really as anxious about DMC5's announcement, as I was last year.
(I still want it to happen asap tho)
I had Yakuza 0 and RE7 to get my by January and February (finished both, but still not really done with either one). Right now I'm having a blast with Nier Automata. And I still have MEA and Persona 5 to look forward to in the very near future. Not to mention the titles that I've passed on for now and plan to get down the line, like Nioh, Tales of Berseria, GR2, etc.

We've got so many great (Japanese!) titles this year, that I think they could easily keep me busy and distracted from DMC5 till E3.

The music, first and foremost, but the boss too.

I haven't played it yet, waiting on the Steam release, so I can't comment on the story.
Yep. That's an amazing boss on all fronts.

Oh man, you are in for a treat. As great as other aspects of the game are, the story outshines them all. Yoko Taro is just on a completely different level. I'm still playing the game myself, but I've already been mind blown a few times.

Golnei

Only a couple of days left until the PC release, I can't wait. Though Zelda has been more engrossing than I expected, so I might see if I'll put off Nier even further; instead of rushing.

After the very positive reception, I'm finding it difficult to keep my expectations grounded - is it safe to go in with the idea that it'll have a competently told but fairly unambitious story, a soundtrack that is comparable to but not markedly superior to the first; and fun but ultimately shallow Platinum combat that fumbles the balance between action and RPG?

I think you should definitely go in with those expectations and
then be very surprised of how much the game actually deserves all the praises that it's getting.

I would ask you guys to just keep a few things in mind, when playing Nier Automata:

1. Gameplay is amazing. But it's not DMC/Bayo level of amazing. Don't go in expecting that. In terms of depth I'd say it's closer to MGR than those games. Also, tons of genre shifting.
  2. If story seems scarce or not really good.... just keep on playing.
  3. And lastly, if any of you guys haven't played a Yoko Taro game before, then know that NG+(s) are continuations and not repeats of what you've done before. So don't think you've finished the game by beating Route A. The story haven't even really started by then.

Keep those in mind, and you all should have a blast with it.

Sesha

I lost nearly all interest in Bacon of the Wiener when I read that the bosses were one of the weakest parts of the game. Although it's not like I would have bought it anytime soon anyway.

And my only expectation for Automata is that the combat is good. Anything besides that is just gravy.

Only a couple of days left until the PC release, I can't wait. Though Zelda has been more engrossing than I expected, so I might see if I'll put off Nier even further; instead of rushing.

After the very positive reception, I'm finding it difficult to keep my expectations grounded - is it safe to go in with the idea that it'll have a competently told but fairly unambitious story, a soundtrack that is comparable to but not markedly superior to the first; and fun but ultimately shallow Platinum combat that fumbles the balance between action and RPG?
Sounds about right. I do prefer Automata's OST compared to the first, though. Worth noting that NieR's OST was my second favourite (my all-time favourite is Anarchy Reigns).

The combat is there for us action maniacs, but does leave a little to be desired. Some perplexing and questionable choices, but still good.

It's quality software. Enjoy it. May be a good while before we see another great combat engine. PlatinumGames or otherwise.

I definitely agree with combat leaving more to be desired. As I said, it's not DMC/Bayo level of combat. It's still really good tho. Especially if you use your skills wisely. Won't say any more to avoid any possible story spoilers.

Edit: Here is a combo video from donguri, but beware of HEAVY SPOILERS. Bail out on 2 minutes mark if you don't want to be hit by some big spoilers.
God damn donguri combo videos, I feel like nothing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0203jbYU0TI

I definitely agree with combat leaving more to be desired. As I said, it's not DMC/Bayo level of combat. It's still really good tho. Especially if you use your skills wisely. Won't say any more to avoid any possible story spoilers.

Edit: Here is a combo video from donguri, but beware of HEAVY SPOILERS. Bail out on 2 minutes mark if you don't want to be hit by some big spoilers.

The animations look beautiful. I'll pick this up in a few months when it's on sale on Amazon.

Golnei

I'll keep all of that in mind for Nier, thanks. I probably won't crash and burn in a flaming ball of unrealistic expectations and vow blood vengeance on Yoko Taro.

And though it's a conversation topic that's been frequently returned to over the last few months, the future of dedicated action games continues to not be the most encouraging. I love that Nioh and Automata have apparently been able to gain relative popularity with mechanically sound ARPG combat as a focus, but the question of who will be bankrolling future pure action games is inviting as much worry as ever. I do think DMC5 will still happen, in whatever form, but feel like Platinum's days of AA dedicated action games could be behind them, along with a general shift in output to more closely align with the JRPG market; owing to the success of Nier and probability of their Cygames stuff doing at least decently. As for TN, I'm not sure if Ninja Gaiden 4 really needs to happen at this point - given their success with Nioh and DOA, I'd rather they stick to what they can deliver successfully (or creating new IP around those strengths) rather than trying and failing to replicate a model they're unsuited to. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

I know this is all beyond well-trodden ground, but I guess the seemingly perpetual jeopardy of this subgenre lends itself to circuitous discussion.

I lost nearly all interest in Bacon of the Wiener when I read that the bosses were one of the weakest parts of the game. Although it's not like I would have bought it anytime soon anyway.

And my only expectation for Automata is that the combat is good. Anything besides that is just gravy.

I haven't personally reached any major bosses yet, but that does seem to be a common criticism. Since I don't really come to Zelda expecting great combat, I'm not overly disappointed, but there is some clear wasted potential there. Especially due to the setup of the game - even aside from what they went with for the main "dungeon" bosses, they included a
Dark Link
armour set, but never let you fight him as a boss at any point in the game, despite
this Link's expanded moveset hypothetically being fairly reasonable fodder to recycle into a duel boss
. And this is more just my fanfiction rather than something they specifically set out to achieve, but from what was given ingame, (extremely vague, mild spoilers)
several existing characters could have easily served as very distinctive bosses with literally no change to their arc or presentation.

Which is made all the more disappointing by the fact that combat, while simple; is still responsive enough, and manages to be fun at times; despite obviously not being the main focus of the game - it could easily accommodate deeper boss design. Also, it's amusing to note that the Lynel enemies have pretty much been turned into Berial - they're unquestionably the most fun basic enemies/minibosses in the game.

I'll keep all of that in mind for Nier, thanks. I probably won't crash and burn in a flaming ball of unrealistic expectations and vow blood vengeance on Yoko Taro.

And though it's a conversation topic that's been frequently returned to over the last few months, the future of dedicated action games continues to not be the most encouraging. I love that Nioh and Automata have apparently been able to gain relative popularity with mechanically sound ARPG combat as a focus, but the question of who will be bankrolling future pure action games is inviting as much worry as ever. I do think DMC5 will still happen, in whatever form, but feel like Platinum's days of AA dedicated action games could be behind them, along with a general shift in output to more closely align with the JRPG market; owing to the success of Nier and probability of their Cygames stuff doing at least decently. As for TN, I'm not sure if Ninja Gaiden 4 really needs to happen at this point - given their success with Nioh and DOA, I'd rather they stick to what they can deliver successfully (or creating new IP around those strengths) rather than trying and failing to replicate a model they're unsuited to. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

I know this is all beyond well-trodden ground, but I guess the seemingly perpetual jeopardy of this subgenre lends itself to circuitous discussion.

Maybe it's because I've never played these ARPG games until late last year, but I just think it's very negative to think the stylish action genre will never have games again because of ARPGs when those games don't appeal to everyone who likes DMC/Bayonetta/NG. At the end of the day, the main difference I see between the two genres is that developers are sacrificing fast paced combo depth for exploration whether it's the environments or loadouts.

I will never like the Dark Souls kinda games as much as the holy trinity because the core gameplay between the two are completely different. It's cool to explore and what not, but if the developers have to sacrifice crazy stylish action for exploration then it's not worth it at the end of the day. It's why we've haven't seen some crazy hybrid of complete open world Dark Souls with DMC gameplay. You'll end up creating a game that's a jack of all trades, but a master of none. One game can only appeal to so many people. DMC5 will probably sell a lot even if it's a more traditional action game because no one can offer what DMC offers.

Honestly, I wouldn't blame PG if they decided to move away from pure action games and go towards ARPGs. They tried more than once and made a few great action games, but each time their games turned out to be commercial failures. So, it's only natural for them to try making games within more popular genres such as RPGs.

I will never like the Dark Souls kinda games as much as the holy trinity because the core gameplay between the two are completely different. It's cool to explore and what not, but if the developers have to sacrifice crazy stylish action for exploration then it's not worth it at the end of the day. It's why we've haven't seen some crazy hybrid of complete open world Dark Souls with DMC gameplay. You'll end up creating a game that's a jack of all trades, but a master of none. One game can only appeal to so many people. DMC5 will probably sell a lot even if it's a more traditional action game because no one can offer what DMC offers.
Well you see, that was before Nier: Automata...

Guys, remember when we asked for this in our DMC5 feedback sheet?

JVcDa8IjK.jpg

Yeah, it's in Nier. I don't think you can fight bosses in it, but everything else is there. How many enemies you want. Which variation of them. What level do you want them to be. What weapon should they carry. Where do you wanna put them.

It's very detailed, yet very fast and snappy. You don't even have to go in a menu to do all that. Just hold R2 and left side of touch pad and you see the texts above your character's head that lets you do all of that. Doesn't even have a loading.

Also, remember what we said about the story being seamless but having chapters to choose from? Nier has something really similar to that as well.

At this point, I'm convinced that some of the PG designers saw this thread and liked a bunch of stuff that we were talking about, so they put them in Neir lol
I'm obviously joking

Sesha

Maybe we should do a list of features that ideally should be in every game in the genre, like customizable controls, customizable arena battles, training mode, Bloody Palace, boss rush, superbosses, Tag Climax/NG2 Mission Mode-type modes, Turbo Modes, Must Style for games with mid-combat style rankings, etc, and just tweet them wherever. Platinum has an official forum, which is useful.

Maybe we should do a list of features that ideally should be in every game in the genre, like customizable controls, customizable arena battles, training mode, Bloody Palace, boss rush, superbosses, Tag Climax/NG2 Mission Mode-type modes, Turbo Modes, Must Style for games with mid-combat style rankings, etc, and just tweet them wherever. Platinum has an official forum, which is useful.
That's a good idea, but first we need to find some devs who are actually still making action games. I mean right now even PG isn't making pure action, and while Nier has a very good combat system, it's still definitely an RPG.

I just would like for a bump in this thread to mean DMC5 news for once....
If DMC5 gets announced, you'll hear the news about it everywhere. Trust me, I'll be the one to make a thread for its announcement in the gaming side, just to realize that we probably already had 4-5 similar threads.

This place is basically the character action games community thread for now, until someone finally decodes to make a real one.

Just finished Nier 2 (got all the story endings) and holy freaking shit.

This game is something truly special.
I know, right? Now go back and play route A from beginning. Every dialogue and action has a meaning behind it. Also, check out the spoiler thread. Some of the stuff that people have mentioned in there... just wow. I was really mind blown by this game. (even more so than original Nier)

The story in this game is so good that everything else just feel like the icing on the cake. And that's a hell of an icing.

BadWolf

I know, right? Now go back and play route A from beginning. Every dialogue and action has a meaning behind it. Also, check out the spoiler thread. Some of the stuff that people have mentioned in there... just wow. I was really mind blown by this game. (even more so than original Nier)

The story in this game is so good that everything else just feel like the icing on the cake. And that's a hell of an icing.

The story really is amazing (both itself and the way it's told) but the game is just brilliant throughout, nothing feels like an 'icing'.

The characters, the music (oh man, that music), the gameplay (just the right balance between depth and accessibility), the progression, the genre shifting, the 4th wall breaking etc., the list just on and on. It's all quality.

Maybe I'll check some discussions of the story later, for now I want to savor and think about it on my own :)

On a side note, PG started off with Bayonetta, which was influenced by DMC3 and DMC4 to a very high degree, but with MGR/Nier 2 it feels like they have come up with a style of action games that feels very much their own, even in the style of animation.

The story really is amazing (both itself and the way it's told) but the game is just brilliant throughout, nothing feels like an 'icing'.

The characters, the music (oh man, that music), the gameplay (just the right balance between depth and accessibility), the progression, the genre shifting, the 4th wall breaking etc., the list just on and on. It's all quality.

Maybe I'll check some discussions of the story later, for now I want to savor and think about it on my own :)

On a side note, PG started off with Bayonetta, which was influenced by DMC3 and DMC4 to a very high degree, but with MGR/Nier 2 it feels like they have come up with a style of action games that feels very much their own, even in the style of animation.

Yeah, I was saying that as a OG Nier fan that really loved it on story alone. So, every other amazing element in Automata was just something that added more to it for me.

Something that really impressed me in this game that I really didn't expect to like that much was the genre shifting. I knew that action parts of gameplay would be great due to it being developed by Platinum, but man those shoot'em up parts were insanely good! Genre shifting in the first game was a nice way to change up the pace, but the actual execution wasn't that good. In Automata, these parts were legit fun.

And, yeah thinking about the story on your own is a very good idea :) Honestly the more you think about it and the more you connect the dots, more impactful and emotional the story gets. I legit shed a few tears the next day after finishing the game, cause that was when everything started to dawn on me.

Yep, I agree on the last point. I can still see a bit of Bayo/DMC in Nier, but it really feels like it is its own thing.

Nier automata is one of the best games I've played in recent memory. It did everything I wanted it to do and I'm very glad I chose it over Ni-Oh.
I feel a little bad that I skipped Nioh, since it's TN's best game in years. But I also have zero regrets that I went with Nier Automata. As you said, this is truly one of the best games that I've seen in a while.

Dahbomb

Unfortunately DMC5 is probably not going to be influenced too much by either Nioh or Nier because development probably started much before these games were in the limelight.

OniBaka

The first one? No but I watched videos and read through stuff online. Couldn't find a copy of the game before automata came out.

Anyway I agree with what was said previously in the OT that Dante needs to come back first to do him justice before doing a Sparta game, but I love emotional games with plots twists.

The first one? No but I watched videos and read through stuff online. Couldn't find a copy of the game before automata came out.

Anyway I agree with what was said previously in the OT that Dante needs to come back first to do him justice before doing a Sparta game, but I love emotional games with plots twists.
Nah, I meant Automata. First one also has a great story though. (not as good as Automata imo, but still great)

The thing that makes me worry about Dante coming back, is the possibility of them just rolling with him. If Dante is coming back then he needs to give a damn about what is happening in the game. I don't want another super OP DMC4 Dante, who knew everyone was below his level. It was fun to see him kick everyone's ass, but storywise it wasn't a good move.

OniBaka

Maybe they can pull a steins gate story with dmc with time travel. With the constant need to go back to save his mother only to fail. Through out the whole thing his personality would change from usual uncle Dante to desperate.

Then plot twist
it was actually Dante that kills her.

Then everyone cries.

Golnei

for those of you that are interested,
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos is currently on sale on steam (for $24.79)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/446390/

I Might actually get it this time around!

I considered it, but there's no way I'd be able to play it anytime soon - I haven't even been able to start on Nier yet. Hopefully there's a better sale later in the year.

Maybe they can pull a steins gate story with dmc with time travel. With the constant need to go back to save his mother only to fail. Through out the whole thing his personality would change from usual uncle Dante to desperate.

Then plot twist
it was actually Dante that kills her.

Then everyone cries.

Dante
becoming his own father
would be the only way to one-up the skeeviness of Dante/Trish.

Unfortunately DMC5 is probably not going to be influenced too much by either Nioh or Nier because development probably started much before these games were in the limelight.
I wouldn't want it to take influence from Nioh anyway.

Well, not core gameplay, anyway.

I wouldn't mind more detailed weapon and item descriptions along with notes and journals just to flesh out the story. That's the extent of RE/Ni-Oh/Nier influence I want. Even then, DMC1 had these things in the file menu.

BadWolf

Gameplay/combat wise I don't think they need to be influenced, with DMC4SE they clearly showed that they are still at the top of their game with how they handled Vergil and Lady.

It's everything else that's the problem. An epic/memorable campaign, setting, story and music would be pretty damn welcome compared to what was in DMC4.

That's sad stuff, to waste a rare gaming experience away like that.

The thing that makes me worry about Dante coming back, is the possibility of them just rolling with him. If Dante is coming back then he needs to give a damn about what is happening in the game. I don't want another super OP DMC4 Dante, who knew everyone was below his level. It was fun to see him kick everyone's ass, but storywise it wasn't a good move.

It wouldn't be too hard to give Dante a legit threat with Vergil being back and everything but I very much agree, a serious/emotionally charged story would be a lot more preferred to the all out joke that was DMC4 (don't get me started on DmC). That was fine once but definitely not something that should become normal. At the very least they should pursue the balance of DMC3's story.

If they bring Vergil back into the story then imo it should be as a legit/serious rival to Dante. They also have the father/son/uncle arc to pursue if they throw Nero into the mix. Lady also has potential if her personality is closer to her DMC3 self.

Top Bottom