• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

Huh...I just saw the video for the first time. It looks pretty cool, but the guy describing it is trying really hard to make it sound like some kind of original and novel concept.

I get what you're saying, but what do you expect him to say, "We just copied the good shit from Super Smash Bros and put Sony shit in there."?

ReaperXL7

Is there anything Sony does NOT copy from Nintendo anymore?

Well if anything Nintendo is getting in on the copy-cat action. I mean having an "HD" console, and a serviceable online fuctionality is clearly Nintendo ripping off Sony and Microsoft.

Misterhbk

They copy everything bro. They're exactly the same. Can't you tell? Where do you think the idea for Uncharted came from? Obviously a Nintendo rip.

Can't wait til they reveal the PS4-U

Game needs more villain characters.

Maybe Revolver Ocelot will be the token MGS character instead of Snake.

That or some version of a Cyborg Ninja.

Misterhbk

Ah, that is true. Friggin Nintendo man!

too many copy cats in this industry. I HATE how competitors try to build off of successful things. I want EVERY genre to have ONE game to monopolize the industry.

The only FPS should be Call of Duty
The only Platformer should be mario
The only JRPG should be Final Fantasy
The only WRPG should be The Elder Scrolls

FUCK choices, everybody else is just copy cats!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nintendo will copy Heavy Rain then.

Mario = Ethan, Peach = Madison, Luigi = Jayden, Bowser = Scott Shelby

Mikey Jr.

Bad news guys :( Maj replied to me on his site:

While I totally respect the guy and it does relieve me that he's saying it hasn't stopped feeling rewarding, I guess I'll just have to stop being closed minded and wait till I can play it for myself. I'm still definitely on board, I just wish there were other ways of KOing outside of supers.

I suggest you give them the benefit of the doubt.

Could be Sony's Marth and Roy equivalent!
572645_11082_front.jpg
Why is he rocking a Mercedes-Benz earring?

Boogiepop

Huge thread so not much else to say. Having R1 apparently JUST be for picking up items seems like a bit of an odd choice though. Not necessarily bad or negative, or something that could be used better, but still seems a little unusual.

Oh, and it'll be interesting to see if they try to pull in Sakurai's obsession to tweaking and packing games full of random content. That tendency to put in huge amount of trophies (Smash, not Sony) and the like really seems to fit well with this sort of game, so it'll be interesting to see how much of that sort of stuff makes it in.

Paul Gale

Fingers crossed. From all the videos I've seen and previews I've read, I got the impression that that's what they're going for.

I don't mind there being clone characters, but when Paul Gale states that there will be around 24 characters, then you hope that's 24 characters that all play in their own way without sharing animations and moves.

If this helps, I'll tell you something now. Superbot has done a great job in making the characters very non clone-like. http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...ots-logo-and-3rd-party-character-info-within/

Every fighting game has some characters that share some similar moves, frames, etc., but the lineup here is pretty unique...

Ravage

I hope they come up with a good list of trophies. Would be awesome if each of them is named as a tribute to an iconic Playstation game or moment i.e. 'Giant Enemy Crab' Bronze trophy for inflicting massive damage

Nah, if they were creative they could then turn that into something like an environmental hazard. So if someone, like Sweet tooth, has any fire based attacks you could co-ordinate popping Fat Princess near another player, covering them in the splash-back, then setting them alight.
Think about it Superbot.

z0m3le

Banned
Game looks fun, but the death mechanic sounds awful.

They should definitely get crash in there, spyro too, ape escape of course... I could see some good coming from this, not so sure how competitive this will end up being, killing with supers only has to really hurt the competitive scene, especially people who competitively enjoy Smash (melee mostly, but even brawl)

best thing that could come from this is showcasing lost franchises and bringing them back (like Ness brought back earthbound/mother 3)

Drencrom

Bad news guys :( Maj replied to me on his site:

"It’s funny, i had the same knee-jerk reaction when i heard that for the first time, like “There’s no way it can work with only supers scoring KOs!”

Coming from a Street Fighter background where it’s all about the lifebar, it’s hard to imagine anything different being successful. Even Smash sticks to that formula of tracking damage.

But it took less than 10 minutes of actually playing Battle Royale to completely change my mind. It’s really fun to play, it’s extremely intuitive, it’s very tactical, and it’s totally engaging.

We’re obviously not making Street Fighter, but trust me, it doesn’t feel limiting. I’ve been playing the game for eight months now and it hasn’t stopped feeling rewarding.

That said, it’s still way too early to talk about what isn’t in the game. There’s still a fair amount of time between now and the day it ships. Omar and Paul aren’t afraid of taking design risks, so i’m sure we’ll continue throwing around ideas to improve PSASBR every day until it’s in your hands.

Everything can always be better and we still have a lot of work to do, but i gotta say, the game is pretty damn solid right now. (And i’m not bragging because i can’t take credit for it.)"

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=7000#comments

While I totally respect the guy and it does relieve me that he's saying it hasn't stopped feeling rewarding, I guess I'll just have to stop being closed minded and wait till I can play it for myself. I'm still definitely on board, I just wish there were other ways of KOing outside of supers.

Somewhat convincing, sounds like it may turn out alright. Thanks for the update Scho.

yurinka

Even better, there was a random PS background (lets say a Loco Roco scene) and then Ethan comes out from the hills screaming JASON!

This has to happen now.
Just awesome xDD

As I remember HD, on-line, trophies, retail games sold at retail, dual analogs in portables, AR, motion gaming using camera, casual games like Singstar or Buzz, 'play, create, share', putting current gen home console like games in portables without dumbing down them seriously, mobile phone games in portables, 4P co-op/competitive platformer (with on-line too), or 2011 sales are some things that Sony achieved before Nintendo recently.

I hope they come up with a good list of trophies. Would be awesome if each of them is named as a tribute to an iconic Playstation game or moment i.e. 'Giant Enemy Crab' Bronze trophy for inflicting massive damage
Riiiiiiiidge Raaceeer trophy for completing the game with a car as character.

Wiseblade

Wow, some serious system wars shenanigans going down here. ¬.¬

I do think some of you are looking at this entire the wrong way though. Instead of saying "Hey guys, could this character from an obscure PS1 game be this game's version of [insert SSB character here]?", you should be looking at the best and brightest of the SCE library and figuring out which characters have gimmicks that would translate well into a fighting moveset.

Game looks fun, but the death mechanic sounds awful.

They should definitely get crash in there, spyro too, ape escape of course... I could see some good coming from this, not so sure how competitive this will end up being, killing with supers only has to really hurt the competitive scene, especially people who competitively enjoy Smash (melee mostly, but even brawl)

best thing that could come from this is showcasing lost franchises and bringing them back (like Ness brought back earthbound/mother 3)

I really hope they get the original Crash in there, I loved the Crash games. My main worry is this whole super-only KO thing.

To me it's like they're limiting all other forms of KOing simply to emphasize their super meter system, to differentiate it from SSB, which IMO, they don't need to do. The super meter system looks great and seems fun, they can just focus on the supers being fun+balanced and have those on top of other methods of KOing, like normal attacks or items. To limit it to just supers simply doesn't make sense to me, it's a needless limit on the gameplay.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im Royally Late to the Party but have they shown a full match from start to finish?

diffusionx

Gold Member
At least not in their very first all star game. I thought I knew some playstation characters, but I still had to google Blasto. He seems to be popular for being voiced by Phil Hartman and he's sadly long gone, so I don't really see the point other than being obscure.

Blasto was one of Sony's first big flops - the game was hyped big time (it even got a Next Gen cover IIRC), they got Phil Hartman, and the game just turned out bad. I think it's the exact opposite of an all-star, really. I see no reason why Sony would use this opportunity to bring up a mega-failure.

As for Folklore... nobody cares about that game.

spats

Blasto was one of Sony's first big flops - the game was hyped big time (it even got a Next Gen cover IIRC), they got Phil Hartman, and the game just turned out bad. I think it's the exact opposite of an all-star, really. I see no reason why Sony would use this opportunity to bring up a mega-failure.

in before totobeni

Battle Royale could help in making people rediscover some of those long dormant games/franchises.

*pines for new PaRappa and Jumping Flash! games*

Ploid 3.0

Wow, some serious system wars shenanigans going down here. ¬.¬

I do think some of you are looking at this entire the wrong way though. Instead of saying "Hey guys, could this character from an obscure PS1 game be this game's version of [insert SSB character here]?", you should be looking at the best and brightest of the SCE library and figuring out which characters have gimmicks that would translate well into a fighting moveset.

I haven't really noticed people wanting playstation characters in because it would be like a character from smash specifically. Which posts are you talking about? Could it be coincidence that they may share some looks with them? If it's from earlier in the thread I may have missed that, but I think a lof of the sony games don't really look like nintendo games.

Some mentioned Blasto was sony's answer to Mario 64, 3d platformer. He looks and plays nothing like him though (blaster weapon).

Grokbu

So being in the GW2 beta took away alot of my time, making me lag behind in news for this game. Does anyone know if there's been any mention of the game being developed with a control scheme that keeps arcade sticks in mind?

DMeisterJ

Banned
How funny would it be if Square threw them Aerith instead? They most likely will never use her again, and there's no risk in screwing up her character.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/200px-Aerith_Gainsborough_art.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I don't like getting into the whole which characters I'd like/not like in the game, but I'd buy it twice if she was in there.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If ONE MORE PERSON puts down Folklore, I think I'm going to kill somebody up in here! Lol.

Anyway, what I'm curious about, is why some of you think that death by supers only is such a negative? I keep hearing people lament the death by super thing, but I just don't particularly see why this is such a big deal.

It sounds really interesting, and is one of the ways in which I think PBR is setting itself apart from SSB and others in this genre.

I'm reserving judgment until I can get my hands on it myself. Now, how much do you want to bet that Sony is going to include God of War: Ascension multiplayer beta access with PBR? That's ONE way to drive sales. lol.

Ploid 3.0

So being in the GW2 beta took away alot of my time, making me lag behind in news for this game. Does anyone know if there's been any mention of the game being developed with a control scheme that keeps arcade sticks in mind?

Yes, it looks like it is arcade stick frindly. You can use analog or d-pad to play. Also I'd bet those fighting community people working with the dev team made sure of it.

Edit: Folklore was good stuff, the girl would fit in nicely. She has a ton of abilities ha.

Grokbu

Yes, it looks like it is arcade stick frindly. You can use analog or d-pad to play. Also I'd bet those fighting community people working with the dev team made sure of it.

Edit: Folklore was good stuff, the girl would fit in nicely. She has a ton of abilities ha.

Oh wow. Thanks, that sounds very promising. And I was thinking about the bolded too. They'll probably give it an extra thought, if anything.

KevinCow

Banned
I can't remember which video it was, but Omar specifically mentioned that they were designing it to be compatible with sticks.

Anyway, what I'm curious about, is why some of you think that death by supers only is such a negative? I keep hearing people lament the death by super thing, but I just don't particularly see why this is such a big deal.

Characters with the best/most effective Super will be at a distinct advantage.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
The ultimate question:

What about Solid Snake?

He's not part of an exclusive Sony IP, but MGS was such an integral part of the PS consoles, that I find it hard to believe he shouldn't be a part of this.

Fuck Solid

Old Snake with Octocam or death

MGS4 was the last MGS PS exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom