• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Kaelan

You just can't invite them. You create a Friend's Only room and you have to message them on your Switch and/or other medium telling them to join your room.

So you can make a friends only room but can't matchmake with friends against randoms?

happy to see it reviewing well though not surprised. i'm a bit shocked it doesn't get as dinged for it's basic single player campaign as much. i feel like other titles get criticized harder for less. but what cna iexpect it's got that nintendo kart racer magic that everyone holds near and dear

I mean you could put a mission mode in there like Mario Kart DS but the series is really all about multiplayer.

So you can make a friends only room but can't matchmake with friends against randoms?

If it's the same as MK8 (and if I'm remembering correctly) you can join any friend's lobby, whether private or public. I think the complaint right now is that you can't actually invite a friend to join you, you have to tell them by some other means (phone/skype) to join your lobby.

chris121580

I wish there was a Switch bundle with this but it's impossible to even find just the Switch. Hopefully they ship a lot more by next Friday

The amount of 100's seem ridiculous, surely there must be something to dock a point or two over, for example the FPS being capped back down at 30FPS for 3-4 player modes, or the wonky way online play works.

I don't personally think either of those examples effect the quality of the game. Clearly some publications don't agree that it's a 10/10 but why do you seemingly want the ones that do to dock points?

Revven

You can join a friend in a public room. You just can't invite them to join that public room; they have to check the friend's menu from within the game. When you see a checkered flag next to their name, that means they're racing in a public room and you can join it iirc.

Jumeira

Banned
So I've not played 8, but is this a good SP game? I do have a close friend who owns a switch whom I'll be able to play with, but that will be rare given our lifestyles. Also, anyone recommend a review to watch which discusses online?

Cheers guys.

qko

I do wonder if this remastered version opens the door to a fork in the series where we get "Nintendo All-Stars Racing" instead of Mario Kart.

So I've not played 8, but is this a good SP game? I do have a close friend who owns a switch whom I'll be able to play with, but that will be rare given our lifestyles. Also, anyone recommend a review to watch which discusses online?

Cheers guys.
I played Online with Andre from GameXplain and GAF's very own NateDrake, it was flawless. As a single player game it's good but the game is at its best when playing with others, whether that's locally or online.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I do wonder if this remastered version opens the door to a fork in the series where we get "Nintendo All-Stars Racing" instead of Mario Kart.

Nah the Mario Kart brand is too strong, it's literally one of the strongest they have.

Cheers guys.

It's like most other MK games, you aim to win all the cups and get good rankings for them so you'll replay them a fair bit.

Cheers guys.

Yep! It's great! Online even with randoms was a blast too, so don't worry about not having someone to play with locally, it's still a fantastic game.

Passose

Banned
To be honest I've never seen any console that have such a ridiculous first year line up like this, only two months since launch and it already got two first party games with 90+ meta scores

Thraktor

I've never understood the use of "ad-hoc" in regards to multiplayer, what's the definition of that supposed to be? Either way, it allows local multiplayer between multiple consoles.

The phrase "ad-hoc" specifically refers to wireless networking that doesn't rely on an existing router or access point. That is, you can sit in a field miles away from civilisation and play a multiplayer game across multiple Switch systems.

The other option is LAN play, which does require an existing network (wired or wireless) for everything to connect to (although not necessarily an internet connection).

Games could support one or the other (MK8 supports the former, not sure about the latter), or they could support both (as Splatoon 2 does). Alternatively they could just support online play and require that everyone is connected to the internet, without any direct local communication between devices.

ZeroX03

Banned

Cheers guys.

It's an awful SP game. The single player content is beat each cup and that's about it.

The multiplayer, both local and online is where it's at. No complaints there.

Vidiot

I seriously don't understand why they won't let us play battle mode as elimination style anymore. At least for local play. I hate timed battles. I never touch timed battles in the Smash Bros games. :/ So damn annoying.

Whompa02

WiiU version was good so I can't see why a slight upgrade would be any different. No reason for me to double dip though. I had my fun with it. Still waiting for a reason to upgrade to the Switch.

koss424

I hope playing on a single joycon isn't too bad. I'm ready to try some four player split screen.

if Fast racing RMX is any indication, single joy cons should be fine for a racing game. Of course, you could use tilt controls too. I would recommend getting some of those controller case accessories for the joy cons though for the ergonomics.

Peltz

Agreed. They finally have the core gameplay down for the most part, but it still seriously lacks in the sp content department. God I hope they finally make a serious attempt at a good single player mk experience with MK9.

I'd rather them just pump as much of the budget as possible into the tracks than worry about creating an overworld or adventure mode.

Kurdel

Banned
if Fast racing RMX is any indication, single joy cons should be fine for a racing game. Of course, you could use tilt controls too. I would recommend getting some of those controller case accessories for the joy cons though for the ergonomics.

frank-sideeye-009.nocrop.w529.h366.gif

Tagg9

Sounds like they did a great job with battle mode. I told myself I wouldn't get a switch until Mario Odyssey came out, but it's getting difficult to wait...

Metro.co.uk

This sort of thing really grinds my gears

In the games industry, a game does not need to be perfect to get a 10. There are many flaws in BotW if you start looking, but the package as a whole is so incredibly fun that these can be overlooked. I think it's the same case here.

I seriously don't understand why they won't let us play battle mode as elimination style anymore. At least for local play. I hate timed battles. I never touch timed battles in the Smash Bros games. :/ So damn annoying.

Yeah I wish we could get something going to make it known that some (a lot?) of us would like an option for elimination style battle. It's really a big reason I haven't been able to get into battle as much since I believe Double Dash?

Top Bottom