• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well, to be fair, there's not really much happening in any episode of Space Brothers. It's one of the slowest shows that's aired in years!
There is usually some new problem or conflict introduced that has to be dealt with in some way. I love the stride Space Bros. normally moves at, but this episode was just...nothing.

Branduil

Anyway the main point is if your like a fan of star trek, star wars, babylon 5 and the like and enjoy Anime. You are literally kicking yourself in the foot, if you don't at least check out Crest / banner of the stars and Legend of Galactic Heroes. I don't give a shit if you watched Tytania and it traumatized you 4 life. Stop kicking yourself in the foot, firehawk12!

Kicking yourself in the foot? Is this really the term you guys use when firearms are banned in your country?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
semantics.
Her mannerisms and appearance in the show was very clearly supposed to be catgirl-like.
Anyway I don't want to argue about that show because its not worth arguing about.
Well, Lan isn't a dog girl just because she goes "wan" is what I would say.

You're right, Crest of the Stars is just shameless trash anyway. The Highschool of the Dead of space opera. Just look at this artwork:

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k574/JexThread/crestofstars.jpg
Uguu?

If you ever make another pact Crest of the Stars will be the show you watch.
I think I'm still in a pact with Geneijin that has gone nowhere. lol

Imagine how good she'd be if only someone had given her the memo that you hit the ball with your racket and not your face.
Coachie had his methods!

I'll be honest, when I borrowed the DVD set of Crest of the Stars, It took me a while to sit down and watch it because of the cover art. Once I put the first disk in, I was hooked, and lead to the inspiration of my username 2-years later...
Well, maybe I'll get to it eventually. I might play the sucker's move and toss in a disc of SG-1 or something.

And While politics are a major part of the series, there's more to it than that!
I just want dudes on a starship doing what it is that dudes on a starship do. Heck, even though Picard was a glorified taxi-driver for Federation diplomats, even he didn't really give a shit about politics and just wanted to go out in space and chart some freaking nebula or fuck up some Borg cubes. lol

cajunator

Banned
Well, Lan isn't a dog girl just because she goes "wan" is what I would say.

Lan isn't the sole focus of Rinne No Lagrange, nor is she marketed as a dog character. In Mayoi Neko Overrun, Nozomi is very clearly supposed to be catlike and all the marketing, figures, and the anime itself portray her as such. She's more of a catgirl than Lan is a dog girl. But neither character is, for example, as clearly animal based as the characters in dog Days.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SAO 5

The show would be much more interesting if took off from this idea here:
f0hDRl.jpg

Some crazy guy likes SAO so much that he is willing to kill other players in order to keep the game going indefinitely. Or alternatively, someone finds a way to reach the outside and gets someone to start killing off other players in the game by unplugging them.

Instead, we get yet another overacted and hilarious death scene: spoilers.

At this point, I feel like this show is trying to be a parody and I'm being trolled now. If only the
fake lesbian stuff
would get animated... then I could get angry again.

Lan isn't the sole focus of Rinne No Lagrange, nor is she marketed as a dog character. In Mayoi Neko Overrun, Nozomi is very clearly supposed to be catlike and all the marketing, figures, and the anime itself portray her as such. She's more of a catgirl than Lan is a dog girl. But neither character is, for example, as clearly animal based as the characters in dog Days.
Oh, I agree that it's her gimmick. I just don't think being a human who acts like an animal is the same as being an animal that is turned into a girl. (I'm sure that sentence makes sense in some universe).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I may be going a bit overboard true. Maybe I'll say more later. Earlier I did reveal one country I'm not from though.
That's also true for much of AnimeGAF and GAF in general.

That 120 some pound North Korean fellow lifting 300 some pounds in weightlifting at the Olympics was pretty impressive at least.
I don't think that person has internet though.

Me? Up to something?...
I'm just happy to find people that share my interests. No one often knows what I'm even talking about most of the time. For gaming I'm a big fan of bullet hell style shooters and I was talking to someone I see pretty often and they didn't even know what they were never mind talking about specific titles :(

For anime I get the "Oh, you like anime..." routine quite often if it's brought up. If they do like anime they maybe only know fairly mainstream titles like Dragonball or Bleach
I can understand that. I try to talk about Tetris The Grand Master and I always have to give a long explanation just so people can parse what I want to say but they still don't really understand why it's a big deal. I suppose meeting somebody who is otherwise would make me go "OMG I'M UNDERSTOOD" too.

Some people switch avatars but maybe have one or defaults they go back to. Well, Minako will be that way for me. She'll definitely return.
I may end up regretting fixing that avatar. It's like weaponizing something to be used against me. lol

Exactly. Hitokage is such a talented person, I know I can always rely on someone like him...
..... I don't get the joke.

cajunator

Banned
dog days just seems more like lazy character design than anything

I think the designs in Dog Days are fine. Theyre little animal people. Its a cute style and the outfits and weapons used in the show fit the world well. It was never going to win awards for character design to begin with.

Instro

Accel World 17

So like
did he already corrupt/mind break Chiyu.
I'm sure there's a doujin to be made in there.

Uchip

Banned
I think the designs in Dog Days are fine. Theyre little animal people. Its a cute style and the outfits and weapons used in the show fit the world well. It was never going to win awards for character design to begin with.

why couldn't they make them more unique instead of only being visually distinguishable by what kind of ears or tail are tacked on?
its one of those anime gimmicks that when you first see it, its cute, but then it gets really nauseating

cajunator

Banned
why couldn't they make them more unique instead of only being visually distinguishable by what kind of ears or tail are tacked on?
its one of those anime gimmicks that when you first see it, its cute, but then it gets really nauseating

Because Cute. that's why.
There need be no other reason. It's not that kind of show that requires it.

Uchip

Banned
Because Cute. that's why.
There need be no other reason. It's not that kind of show that requires it.

because cute? but generic isnt cute
it feels like my reaction to characters now is "oh its that character again", or "oh its that gimmick again"

cajunator

Banned
because cute? but generic isnt cute
it feels like my reaction to characters now is "oh its that character again", or "oh its that gimmick again"

You're clearly thinking way too hard about this. Dog Days is just a cute show and it uses generic standards of cuteness. If you don't like it, that's fine.

Texhnolyze 8

Jesus christ, Caim.
What the fuck are you doing?

Onishi is a sharp dude. Unfortunately, I don't expect Freddie to let that shit fly for much longer.

edit: I've begun answering Hulu's "Is this ad relevant to you?" question based on such critical metrics as the people's voices, outfits, and word choice. My reign of personal commercial tyranny will be celebrated for ages to come.

Grzi

SAIMECHA UPDATE

Gurren Lagann vs VF-25 Messiah (70.16% vs 29.84%)
Turn A Gundam vs VF-1 Valkyrie (55.2% vs 44.8%)
Zaku II vs Gunbuster (45.97% vs 54.03%)
Evangelion UNIT 01 vs YF/VF-19 Excalibur (42.86% vs 57.14%)

The reigning champion is knocked out!

Preview for the next round (voting is not up yet):
Gurren Lagann vs Turn A Gundam
Gunbuster vs YF/VF-19 Excalibur

If Gunbuster doesn't win I'm gonna flip out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Thanks for the heads up homegirl/boy, but I'm really too tired too find that right now. Even I won't really respond to everything written on here about those dudes, if I'm too tired/busy/drunk to post or if I have nothing interesting to respond to someone's thoughts with. Which is 100% of the time really, since I'm just regurgitating things I've said before a million times.
It's like rewatching Utena, though. It's still good and even more illuminating after the first time.

Thoraxes

Texhnolyze 8

Jesus christ, Caim.
What the fuck are you doing?

Onishi is a sharp dude. Unfortunately, I don't expect Freddie to let that shit fly for much longer.

edit: I've begun answering Hulu's "Is this ad relevant to you?" question based on such critical metrics as the people's voices, outfits, and word choice. My reign of personal commercial tyranny will be celebrated for ages to come.

Oooooohhh boy. You're getting closer to the smug portion of the chart. Prepare to feel great.

mAcOdIn

It's silly in that it beat out one of the most iconic mecha in anime, yeah.
Well, you know, I find it hard to believe that any Macross Valkyrie isn't iconic. Is this particular model more iconic than the shitty eva unit or even the other valkyrie models, eh, that's something I won't bother trying to figure out but I guess it's fair to say that it came from the (generally accepted)lesser show between the two, even though I personally loathe Neon Genesis Evangalion, and one of the worst shows from the Macross universe. I guess the biggest question is how the fuck did the more iconic VF-1 lose?
Some of you people should watch Crest of the Stars if only so mac & I can enlist more members in our Spoor Fanclub.

There are other characters on the show too I guess, but they don't really matter & no one cares about them because they have these crazy long scifi names that probably none could pronounce.
Well in our defense once someone with taste has seen the show the fan club just builds itself, no real need for any enlistment tactics.

But Spoor also has a ridiculous name too though, Spoor Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju, that's a hell of a mouthfull. I'm going to just go with Wikipedia's version of her name because I can't remember when it was said and no way could I transcribe that nonsense.

It's like rewatching Utena, though. It's still good and even more illuminating after the first time.

I'm wondering how good Penguindrum would be re-watched. It depends heavily on cliffhanging to get you to watch the next episode, once you know what happens next it's not nearly as exciting I think. I guess we'll see at the end, only 9 episodes to go!

Defuser

Sword Art Online ep 5

4Tchp.png

Whelp, I never did read the side story for this one so I wouldn't know what's going on. Like the rest of the watchers I got fool into thinking that this person is the culprit but bam! a twist.

Texhnolyze 9

Oni-san ;_;

Fuck you, Yoshii. Yeah, that's right, I'm not even calling you Freddie anymore you piece of shit. I hope Caim rips you apart and in your last, excruciating moments of your worthless life, Ran kicks you in the junk. Fuck you.
Oooooohhh boy. You're getting closer to the smug portion of the chart. Prepare to feel great.
I really hope so. Because I am getting furious.

Soma

These past few pages have reminded me that I need to start Utena and Banner/Crest Of the Stars soon.

If I'm not mistaken, Crest was first and Banner is the sequel, correct?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm wondering how good Penguindrum would be re-watched. It depends heavily on cliffhanging to get you to watch the next episode, once you know what happens next it's not nearly as exciting I think. I guess we'll see at the end, only 9 episodes to go!
While that's true, you also see clues you ignored the first time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nah dude. First two episodes were legit. It wasn't until episode 3 that things started to go from good to bad...
I saw through everything. And even the fanservice failed to deliver. Guilty Crown was painfully contrived and poorly executed from the word "go". I mean yeah the show got worse as it tried to balance more plates, but it wasn't ever good.

Katapan

Neo Member
For those on the Magi hype train, the official website has just been updated with the full staff list.

Director: Masunari Kouji
Series Composition: Yoshino Hiroyuki
Character Design, Chief Animation Director: Akai Toshifumi
Concept Design: Takeuchi Shiho
Effects Animator: Hashimoto Takashi
Art Director: Kawamoto Ayu
Art Setting: Taniuchi Yuuho
Color Design: Suzuki Eri
Director of Photography: Sekiya Yoshihiro
Editing: Mishima Akinori
Sound Director: Kikuda Hiromi
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures

A CM after today's AGE also showed the character visuals for Sinbad's trio and Judal:

Since they're still not revealing who's composing the OST, I suspect they have a pretty big name on board.

wonzo

Banned
LOGH 17
This "Earth Cult" stuff continues to come off as being incredibly dumb so I'm hoping it doesn't last long enough to overstay it's welcome but it probably will thanks to
that little chat last episode between Rubinsky and the mysterious NOT DARTH SIDIOUS cult dude
. Oh well, fortunately the little face-to-face exchange between Yang and Kircheis and what followed was pretty neat. I look forward to finding out
just exactly what the conspirators are scheming and what Yang's gonna do about it.

logh17c.jpg

That's certainly one way of putting someone down in their place. lol

For those on the Magi hype train, the official website has just been updated with the full staff list.

Series Composition: Yoshino Hiroyuki
do not want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom