• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

If he's been around forever then a costume from the 1800s doesn't make much more sense than a costume from the 1980s.

Or a clown from the mid-20th century? I think the earliest "personal account" in the book was that one guy who was in the Silver Dollar bar when Claude Heroux went on his axe massacre, and he mentions seeing Pennywise earlier when he was in a neighboring bar, where he was doing tricks for the people there, who all seemed amazed. His description was that of, well, a clown that he (the witness) thought might've came from a traveling circus that stopped in Bangor. That was in 1905. Maybe his "look" as a clown changed slightly with the times, but by the late 50s, he was said to look familiar enough that, at first glance, would be indistinguishable from what kids of the 50s would consider a "normal circus clown". Of course, that's the book.

Astral Dog

That might work in the 50s setting of the source material but a clown ain't going to lure in children nowadays. And definitely not in post-John Wayne Gacy 80s. That's going to be fresh in all these kids' minds

Curry's looks like a serial killer on the surface. He definitely doesn't seem friendly or inviting IMO
None of the kids except Georgie (wich was like 5?) in the book i remember were lured by it 🤔

In the trailers all kids look scared/disgusted the moment they see it so i say its not about luring children and fool them its just his favorite disguise, obviously it has many others to chose from to scare kids 👻

Spoo

Having just got back from watching Detroit, I am now going to forever wonder what IT would have been like if Will Poulter had stayed as the lead for Pennywise. He does a really terrific job in that movie of being an insanely evil little fuck.

Still amped as fuck for Bill's take, though.

The clown appears in the non threatening manner you describe like, once in the entire book. On the other hand, there are over a dozen other horrifying clown appearances, clown mixed with horror characters, lepers, monsters, etc. Your idea that pennywise is non threatening to lure kids is not supported by the text. First appearance with all of the losers club is a horrifying aspect that goes to their deepest fears, as with many other kids who are murdered by It, such as Eddie Corcoran.
On your side you've got maybe Georgie, and that's it.

This is true.

Pennywise, even in the rare times he appears as a clown, is often sneering with sharpened teeth surrounding a bloody mouth, hollowed out eyes, clawed hands, or juxtaposed on physical objects, like photos, balloons, and the moon. The only person who's lured in by him, in the entire novel, is Georgie. And it's heavily implied that him being "first" is the reason.

He appears as "just a clown" to adults...most of the time. Complaining about him being scary is kinda bizarre. The book is terrifying, even when he's being a dick or super hammy, he's never as goofy as Curry's version.

I initially liked this new version of Pennywise...but something felt off to me. Then when someone earlier compared him to the Grinch I think that nailed it. He looks like the Dr Seuss version. I'm still looking forward to this as a terrifying Dr. Seuss horror movie, but I don't know how I feel about him.

Do we have runtime lengths rumors? I'm remember Fukunaga's script being a good length and I'm hoping this is two hours + so we can get plenty of Pennywise terrorizing the kids but also the moments of him popping up during horrible moments in Derry's history.

Kevin

Call me crazy but I'd sit through a four and a half hour version of this that includes both stories, perhaps even cut to be like the book.

This is what I want. The dream is a full uncut 4 and a half hour long or however long it will be UHD set of this. :)

Leeness

I'm hyped for this. I think it looks great, I just finished the book again, love the look of Pennywise.

And it comes out on my birthday :D I'm gonna spend my birthday evening on my own, watching It. :D

Really hope they use IT's full power. Pennywise is obviously the main face and good for marketing. But IT can be so much more. So much stuff from the book that I really want to see here.

Patrick Hosetter getting leeched dry

Is one that comes to mind.

Also please show the past Derry stuff
Iron Works
Black Spot
Axe murder

This is what I want. The dream is a full uncut 4 and a half hour long or however long it will be UHD set of this. :)

Five hour long super cut with Turtle, random shots of certain people mentioned dying in horrible ways in the book, further showing IT's terrible grasp on Derry.

Believe.

Really hope they use IT's full power. Pennywise is obviously the main face and good for marketing. But IT can be so much more. So much stuff from the book that I really want to see here.

Patrick Hosetter getting leeched dry

Is one that comes to mind.

Also please show the past Derry stuff
Iron Works
Black Spot
Axe murder

The last spoiler is something I would love to see, I always imagined it like a David Lynch scene, everyone is acting normal like nothing is happening while something awful is happening. It really illustrates to the reader, just how much power IT has over the town.

Ashhong

I know absolutely nothing about it and haven't seen any of the old stuff. Looking forward to this though! Trying to watch out for spoilers but it's hard since it's such an old story that everyone just talks about. Oh well

oatmeal

Banned
Shit I just realized something.

When this came out in 91 I was 6. It scarred me for 9 years of my life (until I saw it a second time in the 8th grade and realized how lame it was). I have since read the book and seen the TV movie many times.

My son is going to be 6 when this comes out.

Do I ruin his childhood too?

iPaul93

He looks terrifying
20627050_10154638299086604_1815498065780140867_o.jpg

He looks really terrifying
20627050_10154638299086604_1815498065780140867_o.jpg

As an "overdesign" McFarlane toys action figure.

Looks like he would look if if Platinum Dunes produced it with yet-another MTV-music-video-director-Michael-Bay-knows.

Not what I would have preferred. But not wrong in itself to go the stylised route.

There's some scary shots in the trailer.

every time I see pictures I think he looks awful and a big step down from the tim curry take. like it looks like those crap direct to dvd horror designs you see littered all over netflix for instance.

but he's been pretty dope in the small clips we've seen.

rrc1594

Shit I just realized something.

When this came out in 91 I was 6. It scarred me for 9 years of my life (until I saw it a second time in the 8th grade and realized how lame it was). I have since read the book and seen the TV movie many times.

My son is going to be 6 when this comes out.

Do I ruin his childhood too?

Yes

every time I see pictures I think he looks awful and a big step down from the tim curry take. like it looks like those crap direct to dvd horror designs you see littered all over netflix for instance.

I wonder how much of this is nostalgia. Like I've never seen the original It, only clips online, and besides the voice, Curry's looks so cheap, an angry deranged serial killer not a demonic eldritch horror.

Curry is the crappy direct to DVD design IMO. This is the true-to-the-book adaptation. Even from the early appearances, It is this twisted predatory...thing behind that clown facade. Even with Georgie, the yellow eyes and stench of rot came through the cracks of that clown form. And then the second description was a clown but not really, with hungry silver eyes and a wide mouth filled with shark teeth

I am so excited for this. The trailer literally made my girlfriend cry. I use her as my barometer to judge whether a horror movie will be good or bad.

I wonder how much of this is nostalgia. Like I've never seen the original It, only clips online, and besides the voice, Curry's looks so cheap, an angry deranged serial killer not a demonic eldritch horror.

Curry is the crappy direct to DVD design IMO. This is the true-to-the-book adaptation. Even from the early appearances, It is this twisted predatory...thing behind that clown facade. Even with Georgie, the yellow eyes and stench of rot came through the cracks of that clown form. And then the second description was a clown but not really, with hungry silver eyes and a wide mouth filled with shark teeth

I never read the story so perhaps this is a more accurate depiction judging by what you're saying here. but I just think it looks cheesy and overdesigned (those buckteeth too haha).

was a big fan of the simple perverted looking clown that Tim Curry movie had. but to each their own, I can see why people would think that looks cheap.

this movie as a whole seems much better than that one anyways judging by the trailers so far.

Yeah, hopes up after some of the clips. Hype down when they release these pics.

This whole thing is pretty much exactly how I look at it.

I still don't get why the miniseries is held in any esteem at all really

Aside from Curry, almost no part of it is good. And Curry isn't good because of his costume.

Kind of the same feeling I have as well. I've only seen bits and pieces of Curry's performance in the 90's miniseries and while it was good, his design wasn't something that really stood out to me.

Ripenen

The clown always changes. There's no default clown appearances in It.

"It" takes on different forms, but the description of the clown is consistent throughout. Things that are mentioned every time the clown appears are the orange poms, red balloons, blood-red mouth, razor teeth. I don't recall the clown actually changing in appearance throughout the book.

GhaleonEB

Aside from Curry, almost no part of it is good. And Curry isn't good because of his costume.

I'm thinking most of us haven't seen it in ages, and all we remember are the good parts (those being, Curry's interpretation of Pennywise) and those give us good feelings we project onto the production as a whole.

I still haven't seen the miniseries since I was a kid, but I recoil in the wrong kind of horror every time I see a non-Pennywise clip.

Timing, I think. I'd imagine most of the fondest/most vivid memories are from people who watched it at a young age who are now in their mid-30s. Even a middling (or bad) adaptation with a few powerful scenes and a charismatic lead can make a huge impression if it gets you at the right age. I'm still unreasonably fond of Orca, having seen it when I was around 7 years old - the locations, the Morricone soundtrack and the shocking baby whale scene made a massive impact, and while the film itself is a bit rubbish it still works for me where it wouldn't if I'd seen it when I was a little older.

I just want some moments where Pennywise looks just like a clown without trying to be overly creepy or giving the Kubrick stare to some kid. If there was one takeaway from the Tommy Lee Wallace version that I want the new film to have it's Curry's ability to go from normal to frightening in the drop of a hat.

Scares come better that way IMO, set them up before you knock them down.

But if all you're working from are rosy memories gone unexamined for over 20+ years, it probably behooves (that's right—behooves!) you to go back and re-examine it fairly from a new, older, more interested (and hopefully more interesting) perspective.

Plus the more this conversation about the Clown's design in this movie and that one goes on, the more the conversation has been kinda misrepresenting just what it is Pennywise does in that town. It's been called out the last couple pages, at least, but for awhile there, people were basically suggesting the costume was bad because it was outwardly freaky and off-putting, as if Pennywise's M.O. was to ingratiate himself to the children, to fool them into being taken by him, when that's not really what he does, or how he works.

The clown costume isn't really subterfuge in that way. It's a perversion. That's the point of it. Not to hide what he really is so he can sneak up on kids better.

He's this ugly otherworldly spectre that kinda looks like a fucked up clown that nobody else can see, or if they do see, they just accept as benign. He's not really fooling anyone in Derry. They're fooling themselves because it's easier to just let kids keep dying than to confront it.

That's the horror.

The TV movie is a bad movie. It's not even good by '90s TV movie standards (which were often very low), and beyond all that, it's a bad adaptation of the book.

It's a bad measuring stick.

Foggy

I don't see how Pennywise is overdesigned at all. Maybe it's the smile makeup but that doesn't strike me as too much.

Also the first half of It still holds up pretty well, but mostly on the shoulders of the acting. All the kids and Henry Bowers and Tim Curry are quite good.

But if all you're working from are rosy memories gone unexamined for over 20+ years, it probably behooves (that's right—behooves!) you to go back and re-examine it fairly from a new, older, more interested (and hopefully more interesting) perspective.

Plus the more this conversation about the Clown's design in this movie and that one goes on, the more the conversation has been kinda misrepresenting just what it is Pennywise does in that town. It's been called out the last couple pages, at least, but for awhile there, people were basically suggesting the costume was bad because it was outwardly freaky and off-putting, as if Pennywise's M.O. was to ingratiate himself to the children, to fool them into being taken by him, when that's not really what he does, or how he works.

The clown costume isn't really subterfuge in that way. It's a perversion. That's the point of it. Not to hide what he really is so he can sneak up on kids better.

He's this ugly otherworldly spectre that kinda looks like a fucked up clown that nobody else can see, or if they do see, they just accept as benign. He's not really fooling anyone in Derry. They're fooling themselves because it's easier to just let kids keep dying than to confront it.

That's the horror.

The TV movie is a bad movie. It's not even good by '90s TV movie standards (which were often very low), and beyond all that, it's a bad adaptation of the book.

Well put. Even early in the book, it lays the foundation for that disturbing small town horror of people letting the town have its gruesome dark underbelly rather actually trying to fight back.

groansey

Well put. Even early in the book, it lays the foundation for that disturbing small town horror of people letting the town have its gruesome dark underbelly rather actually trying to fight back.

Not defending the clearly dated mini-series, but the TV adaptation definitely conveyed the idea that the adults were in some way complicit with IT in turning a blind eye and leaving the kids vulnerable. It was one of the most horrifying parts of watching the tv series as a kid.

That's the horror.

I've have no familiarity with how Pennywise works in the book since I've never read it (I'm considering remedying that), if that's the way Pennywise is supposed to be then cool. Hopefully the director has the chops to execute it.

The Tommy Lee Wallace film is shit with only one redeeming factor, which is Tim Curry's performance. As of right now when I think of Pennywise that's my go-to, I'd like for the new film to change that.

I do have a question though. Since you state that it's not Pennywise's MO to fool the children into being taken with him, how does the Georgie scene play out in the novel, if there is one?

I do have a question though. Since you state that it's not Pennywise's MO to fool the children into being taken with him, how does the Georgie scene play out in the novel, if there is one?
George is like 5 or 6; the book expresses how an older kid or person wouldn't have been fooled and would have realized the weirdness of a clown waiting in a sewer grate

And then once It grabs him, you get a nice passage about the poor kid's mind shattering as he witnesses what It really is

Super excited! I'm a huge king fan and have a Sizeable collection of first editions, including It. Boyfriend is also a king fan so we are taking our first trip up to Bangor Maine for the opening weekend(we live in Boston) and will see the film and places.

Just finished The Long Walk this past weekend and I have to say, it's become my favorite King book. Highly recommend it! Where It took months to read, TLW took about a day and a half, despite being 380 pages.

Basically the same. George chases the boat into a sewer grate, Pennywise pops up and talks to him, George reaches in for the boat, Pennywise gets him.

George is basically the only person in the entire book who is "fooled" into trusting Pennywise. He's kind of a dumb little kid, and even then, he's not particularly trusting of the clown, he just really wants that boat, so he's willing to believe this weird clown under the sewer to get it back.

Pennywise wants to scare almost everyone he comes in contact with.

Tim Curry's performance is great DESPITE what they put him in, not BECAUSE of it.

zeemumu

Basically the same. George chases the boat into a sewer grate, Pennywise pops up and talks to him, George reaches in for the boat, Pennywise gets him.

George is basically the only person in the entire book who is "fooled" into trusting Pennywise. He's kind of a dumb little kid, and even then, he's not particularly trusting of the clown, he just really wants that boat, so he's willing to believe this weird clown under the sewer to get it back.

Pennywise wants to scare almost everyone he comes in contact with.

Tim Curry's performance is great DESPITE what they put him in, not BECAUSE of it.

He's the only named one, but it's assumed that Pennywise has been tricking other small children with the clown disguise as well. In the miniseries he kills a small girl by luring her into a false sense of security with the clown persona. The rest of the losers are too old to fall for a clown and he also chooses to go after them directly, terrorizing them because fear works as a sort of cosmic horror seasoning.

Ive read about 200 pages of the book in the past 3 days and I must say the clown is amazingly accurate down to the cracked rotten forehead

And on the miniseries: saw it as a kid on vhs, loved it. Watched it again after the first trailer for this dropped, loved it. Mainly the kid parts though

Its not nostalgia for me.

Top Bottom