• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

Lol this standard deck took 16th last weekend at the SCG event

sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=116719

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was all excited about Sorcerous Spyglass but then I realized that Hostage Taker can take artifacts as hostage. What were they smoking.

It exists to hose a card nobody is allowed to play.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, here it is. My RG Dinosaur list coming together.

OqSr0gU.jpg

Filled in some of the needed uncommons like Otepec Huntmaster, Lightning Strike, and the fourth Savage Stomp. Put Abrade in my sideboard. I see some lists running Abrade over Lightning Strike but I also see the value in going face or hitting a Planeswalker with Lightning Strike, so I'm not sure which is going to be better for my local meta in the end.

And of course I increased my rare count a bit. Made some trades for the two Deathgorge Scavengers and the Carnage Tyrant. Purchased Samut outright. Deck is a lot better but still needs a little work before it's perfect, especially on the need for more Ripjaw Raptors. Hopefully the second Sunpetal Grove and Unclaimed Territory will give me more chances on the splash for white. I had a game or two where I was mana screwed on Gishath. I will probably cast him once and take him out for good after that.

Joe Molotov

wow Merfolk vs Goblins is BAD. I wasn't expecting much and I'm still disappointed.
I thought they would put maybe Ponder or something. Also, pro red, really?

And they only had to give the Goblin deck 3 Ghostfires and a Goblin Charbelcher to make it work!

red13th

And they only had to give the Goblin deck 3 Ghostfires and a Goblin Charbelcher to make it work!

There's also Brittle Effigy (lol) and Blighted Gorge. Yeah...

I guess I'll get a couple Rabblemasters since these will have "create" instead of "put onto the battlefield" and I always aim for the most up to date text.

Not a huge deal, but I've played a few games with the Ixalan Planeswalker decks in the last week and it seems like a pretty big flavor oversight that Pterodon Knight doesn't have flying as long as you control a dinosaur with flying. Suppose that would make it near worthless, but what is it doing to my Raptor Companion that allows it to fly?

I can't decide whether I like Ixalan or not. I like the dinosaur/ pirate theme quite a bit, and I really like tribal decks, but none of Ixalan's tribes work the way goblins (my favorite deck from back in the day) do. It seems there's very little synergy in the tribes, with Merfolk being an exception. Even then, the more useful Merfolk (Herald of Secret Streams, Tempest Caller) don't really care whether they're in a merfolk deck or not. I started looking through cards to convert the Jace planeswalker deck into something more consistent, and after looking through all of the Standard legal sets I think a Herald deck centered around +1/+1 counters would be better than a menfolk tribal deck. Maybe I'm missing something, but vampires suck, I don't see how you could base a winning deck around them.

Still having a ton of fun getting back into the game. I can't wait for Arena to come out, I don't think I work super crazy hours but I haven't been able to get to any of the local game stores for any events yet.

Ashodin

As with any Large set + small set, the picture isn't complete until Rivals releases. This is especially more damning when it's a Tribal theme.

I'll be glad when we're only on Large sets after this.

Card Boy

Banned
Warren Instigator is a $8-9 card. If it can drop in price i will be happy. Also Goblin Chieftain and Goblin Grenade is a Modern Goblin's staple. Other than that this is a shit release.

I was playing a 1v1 sealed in the beta mtgo beta and I got SFM and Batterskull I got SFM in my starting hand 3 times in a row. It was real dumb.

Also no idea why they allow us to just have all standard cards when they want us to test iconic masters.

I was playing a 1v1 sealed in the beta mtgo beta and I got SFM and Batterskull I got SFM in my starting hand 3 times in a row. It was real dumb.

Also no idea why they allow us to just have all standard cards when they want us to test iconic masters.

Played sealed twice, got Armageddon both times, played it every game, won every game. I was in heaven.

Justin

B&R Update
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...anned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-10-17?

All formats: No changes

In the course of discussing options for this announcement, we did discuss unbanning in Modern. However, given the current healthy state of the format and the upcoming Modern Pro Tour, we plan to wait for the results of Pro Tour Rivals of Ixalan to evaluate any potential changes for the format. We anticipate making an announcement in February after the results from that tournament come in.

Speaking of which, we do not anticipate making any changes to Modern with the January 15 announcement. We're sensitive to the timing of that announcement relative to the Pro Tour, and only would make a change if it were very clearly needed. Given the current state of the format, we believe that will be extremely unlikely.

As for other formats, Standard has a diverse, healthy metagame on Magic Online, and the general consensus is that you can play a variety of decks and find success. The Magic World Championship really only had three major archetypes, but the unique nature of that tournament makes those results less of an influencing factor. Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa explains this well if you want the perspective of a World Championship competitor.

Santiako

Interesting part in regards to Modern:

The competitive balances of all the major formats are in healthy places at this point, so we are making no changes.

In the course of discussing options for this announcement, we did discuss unbanning in Modern. However, given the current healthy state of the format and the upcoming Modern Pro Tour, we plan to wait for the results of Pro Tour Rivals of Ixalan to evaluate any potential changes for the format. We anticipate making an announcement in February after the results from that tournament come in.

Speaking of which, we do not anticipate making any changes to Modern with the January 15 announcement. We're sensitive to the timing of that announcement relative to the Pro Tour, and only would make a change if it were very clearly needed. Given the current state of the format, we believe that will be extremely unlikely.

That call out of PV in the B&R update.

I'm not surprised. Again, even in the era of scarab god I went 4-0 with mono red at FNM. Though I didn't face too many gods.

An-Det

"only would make a change if it were very clearly needed"

Given that their unofficial requirement for modern at the pro tour was a ban or unban solely to shake things up right before the event (as opposed to throughout the year to maintain a stable format), I'll believe it when I see it.

Crocodile

Man the Merfolk vs Goblins decklists are WEAK. Could at least have taken the opportunity to do more "first time in Modern frame" reprints if they weren't going to fill these with powerful cards. I also expected multicolor decks rather than monocolor decks. What a disappointment :(

"only would make a change if it were very clearly needed"

Given that their unofficial requirement for modern at the pro tour was a ban or unban solely to shake things up right before the event (as opposed to throughout the year to maintain a stable format), I'll believe it when I see it.

They were saving bans for the pro tour. Things were getting banned because they needed to be banned, WHEN they were getting banned is what the issue was. The only sin WotC committed was not banning Twin with Pod.

Justin

Im cracking up at Hoogland trying to figure out how the RW Approach deck took 10th at US nationals.

twitch.tv/jeffhoogland

edit: warning, loud child noises

Kinda random, but the non-full art Wastes are the more expensive Wastes.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/productca...ProductNameExact=false&ProductName=wastes (18

Interestingly, the normal 183 Wastes doesn't even show up on TCG Player and is bugged on Goldfish. It only appears in their Online view.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Oath+of+the+Gatewatch/Wastes-183#online

Broken Goldfish Link: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Oath+of+the+Gatewatch/Wastes#paper
Working MTGStocks Link: https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/30096

Anyway, just thought that it was kind of weird :) They must have only come in intro decks or something.

Ashodin

Kinda random, but the non-full art Wastes are the more expensive Wastes.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/productca...ProductNameExact=false&ProductName=wastes (18

Interestingly, the normal 183 Wastes doesn't even show up on TCG Player and is bugged on Goldfish. It only appears in their Online view.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Oath+of+the+Gatewatch/Wastes-183#online

Broken Goldfish Link: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Oath+of+the+Gatewatch/Wastes#paper
Working MTGStocks Link: https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/30096

Anyway, just thought that it was kind of weird :) They must have only come in intro decks or something.

Yes. They were printed less than the full arts. Plus their oh so slick colorless symbol is nice in the huge textbox.

Ashodin

Harsh Mentor fucks up Temur Energy something fierce. If you can protect it, it will likely make life very difficult for them.

Isn't it weird that in the 25 years of magic they've never made resolve triggers. Hearhstone in all its simplicity has cast, enter the battlefield, die and resolve triggers.

Back in the day, they used to have "If [spell] is successfully cast..." Which worked like you're saying.

They errata'd all of them to "When you play this spell..." and later to "When you cast this spell...", probably because the timing of when the trigger goes on the stack is a little ambiguous (or at least it used to be under the old rules).

And actually now that I think of it, "As this enters the battlefield, do X" is really close to what you're saying, at least for permanents.

Hearthstone is able to benefit from the groundwork that Magic laid over 25 years so it got to skip a lot of the trial and error work with the rules that Magic had to iterate through.

Top Bottom