• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Reviews Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 10/10

Sort of expected. Thinking about it, the press never had a problem with any of the Zelda games. Up to this point none of the games have reviewed bad. The flak Zelda gets nowadays is only coming from fans.

To be fair, Gamespot has given the last few Zelda's lower than the press score average scores, as have other outlets. I think Skyward Sword had real problems but was mostly an amazing game, and I think that was fairly recognized at the time.

Interestingly, in playing Wind Waker HD myself, I find my view of the game has improved over time, rather than gotten worse (which is what had happened with most Zelda games of the modern era, at least for me).

Just pre-ordered the 3DS-XL from bestbuy :-/

This is honestly making me wonder if I should cancel my PS4 pre-order since I don't have anything on it that I want to play at the moment and I have it ordered just for kicks.

I am in same boat about PS4. I am buying Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario World 3D World, Daigassou! Band Brothers P, One Piece: Romance Dawn, and Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 over next few weeks.

I am seriously thinking about cancelling PS4 order.

KHlover

Banned
igM6G13u9PCFV.gif

What is it with you Americans and wanking with lotion? That's gross :/

OT:
Can't wait to get this into my life. Straight into my veins.

Every Zelda gets perfect scores, even if they are far from perfect. Just saying.

Still looking forward to this game, more than Mario, but I'd be shocked if it's as good as GI is claiming. We'll see.
Well surely this review is going to be the one that is an objective and wholly accurate to a number indicator of quality unlike all other reviews for every game before it.

GOTTA HAPPEN SOMETIME

Bulzeeb

I am in same boat about PS4. I am buying Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario World 3D, Daigassou! Band Brothers P, One Piece: Romance Dawn, and Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 over next few weeks.

just check how many games do you really want and check the release dates, I know I want a ps4 but I'll wait till summer 2014 before buying one because i am not interested in the launch games, now I will be buying this game as a christmas present from me for me XD the only reason I don't want to buy it day 1 is because I already have a huge 3ds backlog :S

Downhome

Way to go, my hype for the PS4 launch has been destroyed as all I care about now more than ever is getting this game in my hands!

LttP may very well be my favorite video game of all time.

Myriadis

You know what, I have to agree. I played Link's Awakening for the first time this year on 3DS and although it's a good game it's much simpler and has a lot dragging it down. People complain about Fi being annoying in Skyward Sword, but Skyward Sword has nothing on Link's Awakening. Super slow messages constantly popping up if you so much as graze an interactive object without the correct item equipped, bosses literally telling you how to beat them. I don't get why people hate on the DS games. Apart from the visuals they're really solid games with great dungeons, characters, and plots.

But all Zelda games are pretty much 9-10 games. There's not that much difference in how great they are.

This guy knows what's up.

Also, from the OP:
Heart piece puzzles are still clever despite having access to all the items whenever you want
The best thing about getting these heart pieces is that you have to figure out how to reach the HP with the items you have, not seeing that thing and getting back to this after several hours because you don't have the item you. Some of the puzzles are still tricky even if you have all items.

Slixshot

Banned
I am in same boat about PS4. I am buying Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario World 3D, Daigassou! Band Brothers P, One Piece: Romance Dawn, and Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 over next few weeks.

Cancelled my pre-order last week. There really isn't anything i want to play at launch. I'm not going to lie, I see all the videos from Giantbomb, IGN and so on about the PS4 launch event and I'm like "damn" but then I think, I really don't need them right now. There's so many other things to play and so little time to do so, that by the time I work through all of the games I'd like to play that I own, it'll be months from now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guys don't get all silly debating if A Link Between Worlds or The Last of Us is GOTY, because that title has long been reserved for The Wonderful 101.

Hearing this shakes up the formula is good. I have this strange excitement to play A Link Between Worlds not just because it's the next handheld Zelda, but for insight in what kind of mindset the team will have for Zelda Wii U.

gonna try not to put too much stock in this because it's just one review, and more than that a zelda review, but it's hard not to get excited

at the very least i'll take this as assurance that the game isn't a trainwreck nor does it have any unpleasant surprises, so that's good

giapel

Skyward Sword perfected the Zelda gameplay.
Link between worlds seems to have nailed the progression and pacing
Wind waker HD perfected the art style.

Put all three together and bam, Zelda WiiU, best game ever.

Every Zelda gets perfect scores, even if they are far from perfect. Just saying.

Still looking forward to this game, more than Mario, but I'd be shocked if it's as good as GI is claiming. We'll see.

The guy from GI who reviewed this said only alttp, ocarina of time, and this game, would he give a 10/10.

Nibel

Holy mother, this , Mario 3d World and Ps4 = the best Christmas ever!!

And the most expensive one :lol

But it's pretty great to have 2 seemingly god-tier Nintendo games until the European PS4 launch - and I'm pretty sure to play those two even afterwards

anyone who doubted this games platinum luster from the very first reveal trailer is a dolt

will most likely be my GOTY and I can not wait for 8PM EST on 11/21

Sadist

Guys don't get all silly debating if A Link Between Worlds or The Last of Us is GOTY, because that title has long been reserved for The Wonderful 101.

Hearing this shakes up the formula is good. I have this strange excitement to play A Link Between Worlds not just because it's the next handheld Zelda, but for insight in what kind of mindset the team will have for Zelda Wii U.
I think it's safe to say that the linear dungeon progression from older games is out of the window.

Albo

Completely free to do dungeons in whatever order, no number system or NPCs that tell you where to go next

I thought the first few dungeons you had to do in a predetermined order from what previews said ? Also, I'm certain I've seen a screenshot of the game's world map with the dungeon locations pointed out like in ALTTP...

Still just minor gripes though, almost everything else I've read and seen about the game has been to my liking. They seem to be evolving the formula in the right ways, which only gets me hyped up even more for future games. Looking forward to reading other reviews soon.

This game is looking good. Not enough for me to take game informer's opinion at face value (paper mario 6.75 lol) but everything I've seen and heard is really positive. Considering they've cut out everything but dungeons and combat seeing that they've nailed those is really really good.

Though skyward succeeded in many areas, namely combat, seeing a zelda that trims the fat and goes back to plain old dungeoneering is great to see. It'll be like TP but without all the boring shit that made TP terrible!

Oh EC. Games have to be played in order to win GOTY, even if they're easily better.

Lol fair enough W101 is a crazy ride!

I'm with ya on that Zelda U comment, that fact that ALBW switches things up makes me excited to see if the go a similar route on the next game.

guek

Banned

What Skyward Sword did the best for me is item usage. The way the items are integrated into every dungeon, constantly being used from the moment you find them until the very last dungeon, was utterly brilliant.

If they could combine Skyward's Sword's item usage and characters with Twilight Princess's dungeon design, Wind Waker's sense of adventure, Majora's Mask's side quests, Ocarina of Time's scope and grandeur, and A Link Between World's non-linear approach to make the next console Zelda, my mind would melt.

Somehow it'll be the worst Zelda ever.

Top Bottom