• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft gave journalists a free Nexus 7 at a Watchdogs Preview event.

I like how Joe Martin says "it's bribery!" and then, 10 minutes later, says "I can't say I'd refuse it, though."

Yeah, I thought that was pretty amazing.

Like one of the tweets in the OP, I'd be fine with it if they accepted it but ended up giving it to a charity auction or something.

I think that these reviewers are always talking about hanging out with these guys taints them more than gifts.

There is enough reviews and information out there that a few tainted reviewers don't matter.

Hanmik

Gross. But sounds like this was a European thing? Worth noting. European press and US press seem to have totally different standards, rules, and practices. All that free PS3 stuff a couple years ago was also in the UK.

is this you..?

54ySEf3.jpg

(just kidding..) ;o)

Phamit

Ah Ubisoft, a few years ago they send some party stuff alongside the review copy opf Just Dance to German game Jounalists and told them they could win a 700€ christmas party, if they have best Just Dance Video on their page which includes the party stuff

Vana

Neo Member
About this, "only" UK journalist got one, french journalist did not as stated by the redactor from Gamekult.

TyrantII

I'm certain every reviewer who received this promotional gift will put a very visible disclosure at the top of their review that they recieved a free nexus 7, front and center.

Right?

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
A few did. From what I'm seeing on Twitter french journos got nothing (well, they got a T-shirt).

I actually sent a mail to my contact at Ubisoft to hear their take. We'll see if they respond.

It's kind of funny that those things never happen to me (not that I'd accept them). The biggest freebie I received in 16 years of writing on games is a 1000 piece puzzle of Geralt of Rivia.

I did accept that one though...

Well at least some did I guess.
A puzzle is fine though lol

Gross. But sounds like this was a European thing? Worth noting. European press and US press seem to have totally different standards, rules, and practices. All that free PS3 stuff a couple years ago was also in the UK.

Is Dean Takahashi based in Europe? Because I remember him talking about how MS sent him a HALO 3 press kit worth $800.

Some publications give out the swag they get from publishers via contests and the like right?

When they do these contests, they have to indicate where they got the item from correct?

If so, would that instill in the mind of the reader that (hey this publisher is giving us a chance to get free goodies, maybe i should check their game out)?

I'm not well versed into how these contests occur, maybe someone can enlighten me?

Because if you accept the item, and keep it. Shame.

If you give the item out to your readers, are you still helping promote the publisher who tried to "bribe" you? (didn't really want to use that word)

iratA

Are you serious? You really think that the journalists are going to do their job honestly with Ubisoft giving them gifts? And even if they did how would you know it?
This is a "perk" they should have refused.

How do you know they're not?

i don't see the big deal. this goes on all of the time in all types of industries. the reality is that a journalist should be able to attend the event, accept the gift, and still write an honest, untainted review of the game. anybody who is going to think to themselves "well, this game isn't very good, but they DID give me a nexus 7, so i'll inflate the review score" is a clown and an asshat.

dab0ne

I'm sorry but every job has its perks, or should. Good on them. No problem here.

I agree but those perks should be given by the employer or, if by a publisher, after the review has gone up so it doesn't seem like bribery.

TyrantII

I adore my Nexus 7, but isn't that kind of a cheap bribe?

Millionaire senators have been brought down by bribes worth a few hundred dollars. The little stuff is usually where they screw up the most, because its no sweat to them and they don't see the issue.

Plus is not like gaming journists are making a fortune. Free systems and electronics can be very persuasive and even appreciated.

LiK

The easy way to avoid controversy is to just assign someone else who didn't cover the event to review the game. The "gift" will mean nothing.

Vitor711

Yup, which is why I find many Giant Bomb reviews a bit suspect.

lol whut? They've scored games made by 'friends' low before, it really doesn't affect them. And in areas where they are worried that it will (i.e. Bastion), they refuse to even print a review. Despite uniform critical praise, they didn't bother to get easy clicks and traffic by writing a review that could have been seen to have been influenced by their in-depth coverage/access to the dev team.

Both the games press and the mainstream game dev community are highly insular places where everyone knows everyone. If you think it's just the GB guys who are chummy with devs, you're in for one hell of a surprise.

JABEE

I'm sorry but every job has its perks, or should. Good on them. No problem here.

Perks that shouldn't include receiving handouts from the publisher you are covering. This should be an extremely strict rule for any press outlet. This shouldn't be a perk of the job. Accepting the gift prevents you from doing your job in an honest way.

SJRB

Gold Member
In the perfect world all these phones have custom firmware where the microphones listen and the camera is on 24/7 and all text messages and mails are intercepted by Ubisoft.

You know, a PR thing about hacking and how easy it is to invade people's privacy.

I wouldn't trust these phones one bit, haha.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
How do you know they're not?

Because they got a nexus 7, I mean me looking at it seems like they are not going to be completely honest.
Espically if they are thinking that given there games positive scores is going to net them more gifts like this for AC5 and so on.
I'm suprised you don't see an issue with this.

kyser73

It's not unethical.

It's unethical if they're handed out conditionally on a good review, or if the journo allows it to affect their judgement of the product concerned.

I used to get freebie shit all the time from media owners when I worked as a media planner/buyer - I had trips to grand prix, Ibiza, gadgets, lunches etc - and I'd still not place ads with them if it wasn't appropriate.

LoveCake

And it's us gamers that are paying for all this & then gaming jurno's lie to us with over the top reviews.

It's about time us gamers got some freebies !

:mad:

Tain

Can't get mad since the best criticism has always been post-release by experts, not by rushed and publisher-dependent "games journalism" guys.

Used to be worse. And by worse, I mean more lucrative for press. At a press event for MVP '06 in 2006, EA spent a fortune on everybody that was there, including 5 free games from the EA store, a really nice baseball glove, baseball caps, a nice EA camelback bag. Not to mention the expense of flying people out, staying in nice hotels, and going out eating/drinking.

Alas, those were the days.

Pennywise

It surely depends on the individual, besides let's not forget "everyone in this room get's a free new 360 slim" at E3.

That bullshit isn't bond to a specific country, and european press outlets are vastly different with each country.

I still renember the stuff where Atari tried to influence a german mag when they released their test for Alone in the Dark 5.
They tried to scare them with an injunction suit....

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
i don't see the big deal. this goes on all of the time in all types of industries. the reality is that a journalist should be able to attend the event, accept the gift, and still write an honest, untainted review of the game. anybody who is going to think to themselves "well, this game isn't very good, but they DID give me a nexus 7, so i'll inflate the review score" is a clown and an asshat.

They don't think that, obviously. The effect is more subtle.

And this a bribe, not a gift. It's disgusting.

Vitor711

So your saying it was a bribe! ITT we make big leaps.

Of course it's a bloody bribe. An expensive luxury item given away for free? What else is it?

And it doesn't matter if a journalist accepts it knowing full well that it won't impact his final score. The very fact that they did accept it is enough for most people to then question every article that comes out from their publication in relation to the game. It's the integrity of the outlet that gets questioned and something like this is damaging to the reputation of any site that lets its writers keep such gifts.

It's not unethical.

It's unethical if they're handed out conditionally on a good review, or if the journo allows it to affect their judgement of the product concerned.

I used to get freebie shit all the time from media owners when I worked as a media planner/buyer - I had trips to grand prix, Ibiza, gadgets, lunches etc - and I'd still not place ads with them if it wasn't appropriate.

Unfortunately that's not how the psychology of bribery works. Ubisoft is doing this because it is a technique that is proven to work.

Accept them if you want, just don't be surprised and get all insular and circle the wagons when people start calling out review systems... again.

mclem

I actually recently did our two-yearly business ethics refresher - always slightly amusing, because in my position as a coder, I don't actually have the *power* to do anything particularly shifty when it comes to negotiating favourable deals. From a sales standpoint, though, there is concession for 'reasonable business lunches' to smooth the process - but in terms of gifts, we're only permitted to give promotional items (logo mugs, that sort of thing) with value below $20.

I'm curious what the code of conduct policy actually is in such a situation for the average site. There's a critical line in ours:

"However, these courtesies must not be so frequent as to create a pattern or the appearance of a pattern of accepting gifts or entertainment from the same person or entity."

I would absolutely say that here, there is the appearance of a pattern, if nothing else.

Top Bottom