• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft gave journalists a free Nexus 7 at a Watchdogs Preview event.

i don't see the big deal. this goes on all of the time in all types of industries. the reality is that a journalist should be able to attend the event, accept the gift, and still write an honest, untainted review of the game. anybody who is going to think to themselves "well, this game isn't very good, but they DID give me a nexus 7, so i'll inflate the review score" is a clown and an asshat.
You are deluding yourself if you think it's possible to write an unbiased review after accepting a gift with this much intrinsic value.

You also know that other industries have specific policies in place to deal with gifts of excessive value from customers, right?

iratA

The easy way to avoid controversy is to just assign someone else who didn't cover the event to review the game. The "gift" will mean nothing.

Exactly. Its a gift. People are openly talking about it and I'm sure nothing was handed to anyone covertly. Maybe it was just for attending the event.

Kuldar

I can understand why someone thought it was a cool idea to give smartphones for Watch_Dogs as Aiden smartphone is the main weapon. But giving a real smartphone?
It's stupid and expensive.

wicko

This just tells me Ubisoft isn't confident in their game. Considering I wasn't confident in it either based on what I'd seen of the gameplay, I'm definitely going to avoid buying this game. I would not be surprised to see this as a PS+ title 6 months from now.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
It's not unethical.

It's unethical if they're handed out conditionally on a good review, or if the journo allows it to affect their judgement of the product concerned.

I used to get freebie shit all the time from media owners when I worked as a media planner/buyer - I had trips to grand prix, Ibiza, gadgets, lunches etc - and I'd still not place ads with them if it wasn't appropriate.

No, if you receive more expensive gifts it doesn't matter if they are given put on a good review or not.
Lets say one company took you out to the grand prix and gave you some cool gadgets and a holiday am I really supposed to believe you are not going to be biased? Because I'm not even if you are.

eso76

i must have written this elsewhere, but i used to write for a magazine years ago (not even a very famous one) and we had to play Tomb Raider 3 for review with 2 guys (thugs) standing behind us all the time.
Once we were finished playing they said "we're really curious to read your article about the game now.....btw, do you think we could advertise the game on your magazine ? you don't seem to have many advertisers... ;) "

in this case it's not really bribing...it's just "being nice" to the press...

I really don't see what the big deal is because I don't understand why intelligent adults would care about review scores in the first place.

lol whut? They've scored games made by 'friends' low before, it really doesn't affect them. And in areas where they are worried that it will (i.e. Bastion), they refuse to even print a review. Despite uniform critical praise, they didn't bother to get easy clicks and traffic by writing a review that could have been seen to have been influenced by their in-depth coverage/access to the dev team.

Both the games press and the mainstream game dev community are highly insular places where everyone knows everyone. If you think it's just the GB guys who are chummy with devs, you're in for one hell of a surprise.

Wasn't there a lot of complaints about the fact that they're friends with Harmonix and avoided reviewing Dance Central 3, which they had a negative opinion of? They reviewed the first two games and liked both of them.

I hope journalists refused it or sent it to charity (like the one person in OP) and made records of this on twitter or some place where this all can be note down for posterity.

IcyEyes

Guys, saying : 10/10s is incoming, makes this place looks like a primary school.

This is not the first time that the journalist receive free stuff (I have some friends with crazy stuff at home ...), so, please, wait a second before to post message like that.

ps I totally dislike this kind of practice if you ask me.

Piers

Handing out mobile phones is bribery 101. Guess this may also confirm what an unpolished shit-fest Watchdogs will be.
Also: Steve Hogart's face in his profile photo looks like he's desperate for a girl. Poor man :(

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ubi being cheap again - should have been an iPad Air or Nexus 10.

netBuff

Don't review events typically come with the benefit of gift bags containing expensive items? And don't gaming press regularly get shipped expensive special editions that can be sold for a pretty penny? This type of occurrence, unfortunately, seems like a current mainstay of gaming press.

Vitor711

Exactly. Its a gift. People are openly talking about it and I'm sure nothing was handed to anyone covertly. Maybe it was just for attending the event.

Stop focusing on just the review and don't be so naive.

The gift taints the entire publication if they let their individual employees accept it. Most sites are smart enough to not only disclose such gifts but to also give them away to their readership instead of allowing employees to take them home.

It hurts your reputation not to as no-one is going to believe any praise you lavish on a title when marketing was throwing items worth $100+ your way. Even future previews, news articles and every single piece you publish on any game by this publisher is going to be questioned.

JABEE

Some publications give out the swag they get from publishers via contests and the like right?

When they do these contests, they have to indicate where they got the item from correct?

If so, would that instill in the mind of the reader that (hey this publisher is giving us a chance to get free goodies, maybe i should check their game out)?

I'm not well versed into how these contests occur, maybe someone can enlighten me?

Because if you accept the item, and keep it. Shame.

If you give the item out to your readers, are you still helping promote the publisher who tried to "bribe" you? (didn't really want to use that word)
Using the item to generate a piece of content like a giveaway is also questionable. Would the piece of content have been created if you weren't given the item for free? Do you benefit in an any way from the gift from the extra page views, information, and impressions you solicit when holding a contest?

zeox

Gross. But sounds like this was a European thing? Worth noting. European press and US press seem to have totally different standards, rules, and practices. All that free PS3 stuff a couple years ago was also in the UK.

Just so you know, Europe is not a country

Kariodude

Banned
Seems completely fine to me. Developers give journalists swag all the time. Swag relating to their game. A Nexus 7 is a very Watch Dogs type of device. They weren't given the tablets with any kind of stipulation. If it effects any journalist's review of the game, that's entirely on the journalist, not Ubisoft.

Pain

Banned
I don't see a problem with it, as long as the reviews are truthful, if they're already high, why not take that embargo-lift?

TyrantII

I'm sorry but every job has its perks, or should. Good on them. No problem here.

My very real work place (in a different industry) has a conduct rule against accepting anything more than $50 and all gifts have to be reported. Termination can and will result for failure to comply.

Not sure where you work, but taking obvious bribes are not perks and create huge conflict of interests. Both within the company and with your clients/customers.

A perk is employee parking, wellness benefits, or company discounts. Not accepting 3rd party gifts to drive some outside interest to your employer.

Cipherr

You are deluding yourself if you think it's possible to write an unbiased review after accepting a gift with this much intrinsic value.

Whoa there cowboy, lets not get ridiculous. I think accepting these sort of GIFs makes it more difficult to remain neutral, I even think it increases the odds of unethical behavior by a truckton, but absolutely does not make it IMPOSSIBLE for someone to write a balanced review.

That depends entirely on the integrity of the writer. To say its impossible after receiving a gift is ridiculous. This type of goodie bag bullshit needs to stop for sure though, even if only because it increases the odds of bullshit reviews.

akashhhhh

Like others have said, every job has a perk or two. The only people offended by this are the same high schoolers who think there's something fundamentally wrong with "games journalists," you'd have to be pretty young to think a cheap tablet is going to sway any adult with a paying job.

IISANDERII

TbpArgj.jpg
Wow they leverage embargo dates too? Awful. Wish he'd reveal who does this.

DeaviL

Banned
You could take the phone and still be honest, but the only scores we can basically trust now are the low ones...

Did anyone not accept the phone though?

EDIT: so it's a tablet, time to start calling everything "electronic device"

kyser73

You also know that other industries have specific policies in place to deal with gifts of excessive value from customers, right?

There are a whole set of laws about bribery in the UK - didn't stop BAE breaking them with the Saudis, and that was over something a fuckton more serious than game reviews.

iratA

Pfft sorry but ^ this is almost laughable. I have friends and family that receive much, much higher value "gifts" in their industries/fields and still need to remain fair and impartial. Most of the time so long as you declare the gifts you are fine.

Now I'm not sure if this was the same connection that troushers was talking about but i found this to be equally interesting in regards to what he posted:

And i found the image:

BkEMvZRCMAAWq79.jpg

Don't forget Polygon's Arthur Gies offering to disclose Sony NDA/Contract stuff to the lead of Xbox One planning. Tweet was deleted afterward.

gies.png

Gross. But sounds like this was a European thing? Worth noting. European press and US press seem to have totally different standards, rules, and practices. All that free PS3 stuff a couple years ago was also in the UK.

I don't think you can generalise based on what continent a media outlet is based on.

netBuff

don't get it: are the one critizing it the same that accepted the gift, or not?

That doesn't matter, companies are apparently trying to cultivate an environment where gaming journalists that are kind to their games can expect to get invited to future company events where gifts are offered.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Like others have said, every job has a perk or two. The only people offended by this are the same high schoolers who think there's something fundamentally wrong with "games journalists," you'd have to be pretty young to think a cheap tablet is going to sway any adult with a paying job.

This sounds familiar...

Also yes every job has "perks" but every job isn't based on reviewing another company's product.

solarus

Just makes me more worried about how confident they are in the game, especially since it was not playable at PAX, just demonstrations.

Vitor711

Wasn't there a lot of complaints about the fact that they're friends with Harmonix and avoided reviewing Dance Central 3, which they had a negative opinion of? They reviewed the first two games and liked both of them.

They focus less and less on reviews these days anyway, barring major titles. The guys love the Souls series but there aren't any reviews there. Vinny has stopped doing reviews so it's essentially just Brad, Jeff and Alex. That's a small team and I think it's more a case of choosing where to focus.

Their podcast is the most successful aspect of the site and potentially the most influential. Those negative views tend to be voiced more vocally on the podcast than anywhere else so it's not like anything's getting sugar-coated.

Jeff couldn't get the review done in time and felt horrible about it and he felt he let down the user base for not getting the review done in time. Ryan was friends with a telltale employee but still said to him that Jurrassic park was a real piece of shit game.

I posted this in another thread but this 4 part video will explain what i have said in more detail

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5e3uMwFGaLVKzCZZrdO2Y070j58DCucv

This is why Neogaf becomes more important by the day. I stopped reading reviews years ago, and take the time to read impressions from here.

I haven't been steered wrong yet.

I'm guessing you're still in school as every career outside of games journalism and politics has a very specific ethics statement that would prevent you from partaking in these sorts of bribes. Good luck!

Top Bottom