• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

I guess Punched by her noodly appendage would still work too.
Works for me :3

spicy minmin

C-ZeBTyU0AAq9zk.jpg:orig
I already thought min min was super cool, but those colours work even better than the default :3

ggx2ac

I think ARMS could do well in sales, it depends on the execution.

An accessible fighting game is really helpful for pulling in a wide demographic.

It doesn't look like there are any combos or special moves that you have to memorise for each character so in that sense it is similar to Smash Bros that you can just pick up any fighter and go.

The game mechanics and characters do have depth though so I guarantee you'll see ARMS communities making tier lists where it specifies a character with recommend gloves for that character.

The difficult part is trying to get people to play the game so that they'll be sold on it.

They've already had people play the game back in January after the Switch press conference, They've also had an ARMS tournament/exhibition and iirc there will be another one soon.

The game comes out right after E3 but NoA have only announced a Splatoon 2 Exhibition for pre-E3.

I'm guessing that, ARMS will probably be playable at kiosks across the US during E3 like they did with past games for Wii U but you'll have to fight someone else to play.

Hopefully they give a good demo so that people can get good impressions and that when they see that the demo tells them the game gets released June 16th, they'll know they won't have to wait long to buy it.

Now, I know what you're probably going to say, "Why don't they just release a demo on the eShop?"

Demos don't guarantee sales, and with putting the ARMS demo I mentioned onto kiosks in stores, it helps with actually finding new consumers than just getting the ones they already have.

Could they do a testfire/beta? Maybe. It's more preferable than releasing a demo that might not have any online play available. It's​ usually better to be able to play against other people than CPU players.

Calling it now: WW, ARMS will at least match Splatoon 2 numbers. This game is gonna be big.

Edit: for the "2"

Well that's tough to tell because Splatoon 2 will probably do better than Splatoon which did about 5 million. Idk I can't see ARMS doing 5+ million. I don't think it will do as well in Japan like Splatoon did. ARMS success will come down to the western market. I can see it doing 4 million.

Well that's tough to tell because Splatoon 2 will probably do better than Splatoon which did about 5 million. Idk I can't see ARMS doing 5+ million. I don't think it will do as well in Japan like Splatoon did. ARMS success will come down to the western market. I can see it doing 4 million.

Plus considering the original Splatoon met that number on a console with a foot out the door, S2 having a much longer life on the Switch will give it stronger legs.

Aldric

Calling it now: WW, ARMS will at least match Splatoon 2 numbers. This game is gonna be big.

Not a chance in hell.

2 million copies sold worldwide would already be a very good result for a new ip in the fighting game genre.

I like that you're going BIG with your prediction!

I'm not that confident, but I do beileve this game will be pretty successful. I think choosing to release the game right after E3 is very smart. Treehouse is gonna' market this game to tons of new and future Switch owners and nobody hypes a new video game better than those guys.

I'll make a silly prediction: if this ends up being an evergreen title, GAF will stop calling this game ARMS pretty early on and refer to it as LEGS, particularly in sales threads.

Pandy

It'd be a disappointment if it didn't.
SFV is sitting over 1.5 million IIRC (I assume that was both PC & PS4).
A new IP on a platform with a small install base has to have a great result to beat that. It's still really hard to say how broad an audience the game is going to appeal to.
2 million copies sold lifetime would be an amazing result for ARMS. The genre is just too niche otherwise.

I agree.

Cerium

Nintendo has spoken of Switch titles needing about 2 million sales to break even. They're pushing ARMS hard in marketing and it appears to have the gameplay appeal to back it up plus the accessibility of motion controls.

2 million would definitely be impressive in the context of a new IP in a niche genre, but I expect an impressive performance.

spekkeh

Banned

You know I was one of the few who predicted Splatoon's success and I think you might be right. That is, I think Arms will have more mainstream appeal and will be a big success in the West. That said, I think there are a few too many people who heard about Splatoon on the Wii U and want to check it out, combined with long term fans that are redipping, to make it a clear winner. Long term though, I think Arms has the potential to become bigger.

(I don't see Arms as a fighting game though, more a party brawler like Smash or Wii Sports)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Splatoon 2 might sell 3m alone in Japan, meanwhile shipping more than 2m copies worldwide would already a mayor successful for ARMS.

Speely

Banned
That's a heavy lift. Splatoon is in a more popular genre.

Very true. It's also in a more populated genre. Additionally, it was largely written off by lots of people before it released, yet it defied most expectations. To think that's an anomaly when talking about Nintendo is unwise.

ARMS is being made by one of the best dev studios that Nintendo has and offers something no one else does, or even comes close to. It's gonna exceed expectations, just like the Switch itself. Just like Splatoon did.

I'll eat my crow if it doesn't, however.

Salvadora

Splatoon sold 4.8m on a very unpopular system.

You are effectively saying that ARMS will outperform that. And that's not even taking into account the potential sales growth that a sequel will bring.

Madness.

2 million copies sold lifetime would be an amazing result for ARMS. The genre is just too niche otherwise.

Depends if you count smash bros as a fighting game. Platformers is a dying genre as well and look how nintendos games sell. Different rules apply to nintendo in general.

Speely

Banned
Splatoon sold 4.8m on a very unpopular system.

You are effectively saying that ARMS will outperform that. And that's not even taking into account the potential sales growth that a sequel will bring.

Madness.

Madness was also thinking that Splatoon would perform anywhere near what it did. ARMS is Nintendo doing just that with a new IP. I think this game has a lot of potential.

I think I'm in for this game and another pair of Joycons. I really like the yellow ones.

Does this game do single console versus with two pairs? That makes it a no-brainer if yes.

Top Bottom