• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

Speely

Banned
ITT, Nintendo has never defied genre conventions. *Goes back to playing BotW*

Y'all lack vision. They are on fire right now.

Where is 7.5 million coming from?

ITT, Nintendo has never defied genre conventions. *Goes back to playing BotW*

Y'all lack vision. They are on fire right now.

There's a difference between saying "ARMS is going to prove people wrong and be very successful" and "ARMS will outsell Splatoon 2". Splatoon has proven itself and we have a baseline number for it. It sold almost 5 million on the crappy Wii U install base.

Everyone expects Splatoon 2 to sell even better than Splatoon. Nobody is saying ARMS won't be successful, but to say it will do better than Splatoon 2, which has proven itself very very successfull, is too much I think.

Speely

Banned
Where is 7.5 million coming from?

There's a difference between saying "ARMS is going to prove people wrong and be very successful" and "ARMS will outsell Splatoon 2". Splatoon has proven itself and we have a baseline number for it. It sold almost 5 million on the crappy Wii U install base.

Everyone expects Splatoon 2 to sell even better than Splatoon. Nobody is saying ARMS won't be successful, but to say it will do better than Splatoon 2, which has proven itself very very successfull, is too much I think.

Points taken, but to be fair, I was only saying that ARMS would do "at least" Splatoon 2 numbers. Granted, that is a fucking heavy load given that Splatoon 2 is going to be HUGE, but I think it will match Splatoon. I feel that it has broader potential appeal outside of Japan and it has no competition. That's my hot take, and I might be very wrong.

Edited for clarity

Points taken, but to be fair, I was only saying that ARMS would do "at least" Splatoon 2 numbers. Granted, that is a fucking heavy load given that Splatoon 2 is going to be HUGE, but I think it will. I feel that it has broader potential appeal outside of Japan and it has no competition. That's my hot take, and I might be very wrong.

I'd say Splatoon 2's floor is 5 million. If ARMS pulls off a similar number, good lord.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nintendo has spoken of Switch titles needing about 2 million sales to break even. They're pushing ARMS hard in marketing and it appears to have the gameplay appeal to back it up plus the accessibility of motion controls.

2 million would definitely be impressive in the context of a new IP in a niche genre, but I expect an impressive performance.
I thought they said Zelda needed 2 million to break even. Not every game is Zelda and I doubt ARMS has that kind of investment behind it.

Points taken, but to be fair, I was only saying that ARMS would do "at least" Splatoon 2 numbers. Granted, that is a fucking heavy load given that Splatoon 2 is going to be HUGE, but I think it will match Splatoon. I feel that it has broader potential appeal outside of Japan and it has no competition. That's my hot take, and I might be very wrong.

Edited for clarity

Yeah that would be so freaking insane if it did 5 million lol. I'm always pessimistic and I feel like me thinking it can do 3-4 million is very successful.

Not to go off topic, but it makes me sad how Metroid could never consistently sell over 2 million. Such a great series which you know they spent good money on and people didn't buy them. I feel like if a Metroid Prime 4 releases in today's market it will do very well.

Cerium

I thought they said Zelda needed 2 million to break even. Not every game is Zelda and I doubt ARMS has that kind of investment behind it.

Just the opposite, they were speaking generally, not about Zelda. It's a common misconception.

My guess is that Zelda actually needs more than 2 million.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Just the opposite, they were speaking generally, not about Zelda. It's a common misconception.

That's kind of crazy - ARMS may possibly not do much better than breaking even? Doesn't seem right.

luchadork

source please. theres no way arms needs to sell 2 million JUST to break even. youre talking at least 50 million (more likely 100 million) in dev costs at that stage. no fucking way nintendo would risk 50 million on a game like arms. no fucking way it costs 50 million to make arms.

Pics from the exhibition at Makuhari Messe this weekend, with prizes for competing in the tournament (shirt, bandana, sticker). Need that shirt!

C-i7GerUMAAJXkY.jpg

C-kVPx-VwAAEyXq.jpg

C-kTCiCVYAEI_0V.jpg

C-imFczV0AEh2t6.jpg

00000619_02.png

00000619_03.png

00000619_04.png

00000619_05.png

ggx2ac

2 million copies sold lifetime would be an amazing result for ARMS. The genre is just too niche otherwise.

With reference to my post regarding my thoughts on how good ARMS can do depending on the execution from Nintendo marketing wise, until the end of FY3/2018 this would be my thoughts on how it performs.

If Nintendo execute well on the game, I expect 2.5 million sales by end of FY3/2018.

1 million sales would be bad and anything over 2.5 million would be great considering the attach rate.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

This is also a massive assumption they didn't say all games cost that much to break even, it was just a ball park given for some of the higher budget games. Not even from 3rd parties do games like arms cost 2 million to break even and Nintendo doesn't even pay platform royalities.

Doorman

In the realm of "Nintendo's first-year big three mulitplayer games" being ARMS, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 2, ARMS is definitely going to sell the least out of the three. Kart goes without saying and Splatoon is apparently cemented as a new and real franchise and already has a lot of its early growing pains out of the way, people are familiar with it and what it is now. ARMS is still trying to get its name out there and I believe there's still a lot of confusion or...unimpressedness(???) left over from its lukewarm reception during the initial Switch reveal. Claiming that ARMS will match or exceed Splatoon 2 is probably selling S2 short more than it is overvaluing ARMS.

Ultimately I think word of mouth and tournament footage will continue to trickle out and more minds will change, especially if their messaging is handled well at E3. I hope it does well, since it and Splatoon combined starts to set up a nice trend of Nintendo being more willing to let younger developers forge their own IPs instead of being constantly stuck into following the settings of their predecessors.

jonno394

Decided to look at amazon sales ratings for ARMS

amazon.co.uk - #280
amazon.com - #299

I wonder when (if) this thing will start getting good pre-order numbers. MK8D was high in the charts from the get go.

Probably because of the Amazon uk offer, but arms is now up to 11th on uk and 58th on .com for recent order numbers. Still, very good to see!

Salvadora

I think the lack of software on Switch will be a major contributing factor for ARMS sales.

It's June and you have an active user base hungry for games numbering in the millions.

What else do they buy?

I love the look of this game, but I'll eat my hat if it even comes close to Splatoon 2 numbers. A more realistic prediction would be matching Splatoon 1. Which would be damn good on its own.

ARMS is still trying to get its name out there and I believe there's still a lot of confusion or...unimpressedness(???) left over from its lukewarm reception during the initial Switch reveal. Claiming that ARMS will match or exceed Splatoon 2 is probably selling S2 short more than it is overvaluing ARMS.

Ultimately I think word of mouth and tournament footage will continue to trickle out and more minds will change, especially if their messaging is handled well at E3. I hope it does well, since it and Splatoon combined starts to set up a nice trend of Nintendo being more willing to let younger developers forge their own IPs instead of being constantly stuck into following the settings of their predecessors.

You seem to be judging the general mainstream reception based on the reception on GAF which I would strongly caution against. I don't think the general sentiment is negative or needs to be changed. Most people don't know about it, let alone think lowly of it, outside of here.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It'll need a stress test in the relataively dead middle of May to get really going but if Nintendo is preparing to do that it should be fun. Looks fun, self explanitory and nothing too confusing to a casual observer

I'd say 2 million for ARMS would be a pretty solid number.

I would like to think it can pull off at least double 1 2 Switch, yeah.

I think ARMS ends up selling more than Splatoon 2 in the end, brother.

Splatoon sold 4.8 million on 13.56 million Wii Us (about 35% attach). ARMS doing better than Splatoon 2 on a device that is expected to have a similar LTD sales figure as Wii U in a year is unlikely, unless Splatoon 2 tanks.

In the realm of "Nintendo's first-year big three mulitplayer games" being ARMS, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 2, ARMS is definitely going to sell the least out of the three. Kart goes without saying and Splatoon is apparently cemented as a new and real franchise and already has a lot of its early growing pains out of the way, people are familiar with it and what it is now. ARMS is still trying to get its name out there and I believe there's still a lot of confusion or...unimpressedness(???) left over from its lukewarm reception during the initial Switch reveal. Claiming that ARMS will match or exceed Splatoon 2 is probably selling S2 short more than it is overvaluing ARMS.

while i agree that it will sell the least out of a group that also includes MK and splatoon i dont think it got lukewarm receptions. previews were glowing from the get go and everyone that played it loved it.

atr0cious

I think the lack of software on Switch will be a major contributing factor for ARMS sales.

It's June and you have an active user base hungry for games numbering in the millions.

What else do they buy?
If it's not good, something else, just ask Wonderful 101. That it is already looking really great means there's little to worry about it doing well. If they put out a demo like W101, willing to bet it does better then Splatoon 1, dunno how Spla2n will do.

If it's not good, something else, just ask Wonderful 101. That it is already looking really great means there's little to worry about it doing well. If they put out a demo like W101, willing to bet it does better then Splatoon 1, dunno how Spla2n will do.

Wonderful 101 is a 3rd party single player game. It's not really comparable to ARMS aside from coming out during a period without many other games around

atr0cious

Wonderful 101 is a 3rd party single player game. It's not really comparable to ARMS aside from coming out during a period without many other games around
No, it's a first party game, but the point is that just because something is on the system, doesn't mean it's gonna sell well. The switch just came out, people can just not buy the system, especially if the amount or quality of games isn't to their liking. Not like snipperclips is doing Zelda numbers.

atr0cious

But let's be honest, a good chunk of the player base will likely go with traditional button controls.
That player base is the floor for this game, as the casual and new audience is way more accepting of non standard controls, and will most likely find the play style more engaging than they would SFV. Splatoon proves this.

Doorman

while i agree that it will sell the least out of a group that also includes MK and splatoon i dont think it got lukewarm receptions. previews were glowing from the get go and everyone that played it loved it.

I agree that everyone that played it loved it...but that's still a fairly small segment of the overall buying population. I've said it for months now that the original reveal brought mixed returns (yes here on GAF but also gauging reactions from a lot of the media at-large that didn't immediately get to follow it up with hands-on time) thanks to its placement next to 1 2 Switch and the tremendous focus on detailing the motion controls rather than getting into any of the game's options and depth.

This may all end up moot by the time the game releases, regardless. It's at least similar to Splatoon in that it continues waving away the concerns over lack of options and content (which I did hope/assume it would do). I just happen to think Splatoon 2 will still be bigger overall.

random25

But let's be honest, a good chunk of the player base will likely go with traditional button controls, especially for serious competition.

Depends on who is the "good chunk of the player base". Those who will play it just for fun will never shy away from the motion controls, and that I think will be the majority. Those who will play it seriously will always go with the optimal controls, so there's a chance for motion control setup as the de facto standard.

Treehouse makes everything look appealing.

This game is releasing at the end of E3.

Treehouse Live + ARMS = $$$

Do the math. It's gonna' be a hit. The core will lap it up on June 16th, word of mouth will spread and BOOM! LEGS

Neoxon

That player base is the floor for this game, as the casual and new audience is way more accepting of non standard controls, and will most likely find the play style more engaging than they would SFV. Splatoon proves this.
But to be fair, Splatoon's motion controls were more subtle than how ARMS is using motion controls.

I can see casuals using motion controls, but I wouldn't be surprised if those who take the game more seriously (be it online or at tournaments) move to the Pro Controller (or an arcade stick if the right stick isn't required) for the sake of consistency.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I agree that everyone that played it loved it...but that's still a fairly small segment of the overall buying population. I've said it for months now that the original reveal brought mixed returns (yes here on GAF but also gauging reactions from a lot of the media at-large that didn't immediately get to follow it up with hands-on time) thanks to its placement next to 1 2 Switch and the tremendous focus on detailing the motion controls rather than getting into any of the game's options and depth.

This may all end up moot by the time the game releases, regardless. It's at least similar to Splatoon in that it continues waving away the concerns over lack of options and content (which I did hope/assume it would do). I just happen to think Splatoon 2 will still be bigger overall.

I wouldn't take the reaction from that event as implication or referrence for anything at all. A not insignificant number of GAF members left that presentation and thought the switch was dead on arrival either wii u level or lower. GAF has never ment anything in terms of wider buying trends. Just because GAF doesn't like it doesn't mean it did or didn't have a good reaction overall. Have a look Tom Clancy's The Wildlands. Did you see a single hyped or positive thread about it? It's the best selling game of the year so far.

Treehouse makes everything look appealing.

This game is releasing at the end of E3.

Treehouse Live + ARMS = $$$

Do the math. It's gonna' be a hit. The core will lap it up on June 16th, word of mouth will spread and BOOM! LEGS
Come on man. Too early to talk about a sequel.

bad joke. I'm sorry

Salvadora

No, it's a first party game, but the point is that just because something is on the system, doesn't mean it's gonna sell well. The switch just came out, people can just not buy the system, especially if the amount or quality of games isn't to their liking. Not like snipperclips is doing Zelda numbers.
I said it could be a major contributing factor, but not the only one.

It's certainly worth pointing out that it won't have much, if any, competition.

The Wonderful 101 came out 10 months after the (very unpopular) system launched. It wasn't a major title developed internally by Nintendo with the marketing push that comes associated. It wasn't multiplayer.. etc. This, plus the launch timing, could give ARMS a sales boost it might not normally have if it was the hyper competitive holiday season.

atr0cious

I said it could be a major contributing factor, but not the only one.

It's certainly worth pointing out that it won't have much, if any, competition.

The Wonderful 101 came out 10 months after the (very unpopular) system launched. It wasn't a major title developed internally by Nintendo with the marketing push that comes associated. It wasn't multiplayer.. etc. This, plus the launch timing, could give ARMS a sales boost it might not normally have if it was the hyper competitive holiday season.
Besides the multiplayer aspect, W101 has had as much marketing done so far. A bigger dedicated direct and a demo a couple weeks before release. Game and Wario didn't tear up the charts either. I'm not saying it can't be a boon to be a big fish in a little pond, but I can't stand the fallacy of no games = auto seller, its just not true. And ARMS has a very different audience and value proposition, so even in November, its going to stand out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Besides the multiplayer aspect, W101 has had as much marketing done so far. A bigger dedicated direct and a demo a couple weeks before release. Game and Wario didn't tear up the charts either. I'm not saying it could be a boon to be a big fish in a little pond, but I can't stand the fallacy of no games = auto seller, its just not true. And ARMS has a very different audience and value proposition, so even in November, its going to stand out.

I think the difference is it certainly appears that the Switch userbase is really engaged and energized and looking for software to buy. Wii U was just...cold and limp, especially those first 9 months.

atr0cious

I think the difference is it certainly appears that the Switch userbase is really engaged and energized and looking for software to buy. Wii U was just...cold and limp, especially those first 9 months.

Most definitely. Most of the Wii base saw it as a controller for the Wii and would buy the games thinking the controller was just superfluous. I love what the Wii U brought, but its undeniable Nintendo really had no clue with how to market it; and with the HD push, they couldn't push out games fast enough for the market to figure it out like they did with the Wii. I think the biggest thing that the Wii U did was make the old guard realize they may not be as streets ahead as they thought, so they let the younger folks try out some stuff since there wasn't an expectation of immediate success or sales like the Wii did potentially. Now we have splatoon, which is giving us ARMS, and probably more. Even Miyomato said the Wii U was necessary for the Switch, really excited to see more of that on the system, way more than BotW or Mario.

Salvadora

Besides the multiplayer aspect, W101 has had as much marketing done so far. A bigger dedicated direct and a demo a couple weeks before release. Game and Wario didn't tear up the charts either. I'm not saying it can't be a boon to be a big fish in a little pond, but I can't stand the fallacy of no games = auto seller, its just not true. And ARMS has a very different audience and value proposition, so even in November, its going to stand out.
I don't think anyone has here has posted "no games = auto seller."

What I am suggesting is that ARMS, with it's particular circumstances, could see a boost in sales associated with being a big fish in a little pond - like you suggested.

In November, it may not stand out against the oft rumoured Smash. Or the bigger library of Nintendo ever green titles that will be one the market for holiday buyers. Whereas, ARMS will have it's time in the sun in June.

Top Bottom