• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Main Theme.

cordy

Banned
Nintendo as a whole has been on point with this ARMS thing in general. Shit, I was completely wrong about it. I should have known better.

Can't say I'm a fan. The upbeat vibe was good and makes sense but the voices and the whistles sounded really corny to me.

Guess I'm out of touch.

Dingens

Since they complete revamped the song before I wonder if they are actually going to add lyrics for the girl part in the final version. Even though I surprisingly liked the nananas, I can't shake the feeling that they may actually be place holders

Capella

Since they complete revamped the song before I wonder if they are actually going to add lyrics for the girl part in the final version. Even though I surprisingly liked the nananas, I can't shake the feeling that they may actually be place holders

Maybe but if you listen to other songs in the direct trailer that have vocals they are also sung with "ooohs" and "nananas". Unless they are all place holders, it seems like the lack of lyrics is intentional.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe but if you listen to other songs in the direct trailer that have vocals they are also sung with "ooohs" and "nananas". Unless they are all place holders, it seems like the lack of lyrics is intentional.

Yes, I think it's probably intentional, too. I'd guess it's to make localization simpler and so that every region has the same experience with the soundtrack.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even remember the last time a game had an actual fun, recognizable theme anymore.

Hyped!

The oooh-ooohs and nana-naa's are clearly intentional and the 'flair' of this games' soundtrack, similar to the gibberish of the Splatoon series. They make it easy to localize (or rather not fucking up localization) and fitting for young and old both.

Gives me chills, I love the shit out of it! It has a level of grandeur and epicness to it that makes it instantly recognizable.

OHHH OHH OHH OHHHHHHHHHHH etc. etc. et-fuckin-c.!

Hermii

It's really great. The Mario Kart music team (assuming these are the same composers as MK8) needs to put out some damn soundtracks, they've been absolutely incredible as of late.

If Nintendo ever does drop out of the console business they should just become a record label.

As long as they release their music on PS and Xbox.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's okay. It's catchy, but I also don't think it's particularly great either.

I do think it'd be better with vocals as it's kind of set-up to feel like it should have vocals rather than just whistles, "Oooo-aaahh-aahhh's", and the like. As a result, it feels like something is missing. The sort of Samba tone works well for the game, but I also will say the song reminds me of a few things and as a result I don't really completely associate with ARMS. And due to their being a lack of something to latch onto outside of catchiness (nothing consistent with the game's themes, verses, a melody, or any unique textures), I think it kind of fails as a main theme, but is alright catchy as a regular song. It can get in your head okay, but I also don't find strong individuality to make it associate for me.

spekkeh

Banned
The guys voice ruins it. His "ooh-ing" is so obnoxious.. would be so good without it.
Yes I agree. I'm okay with the woman having no lyrics because it sounds like she's just jamming with the band, it has a very ad lib improvisational feel. The guy Ooohing is like a drunk groupie who won't go away and is ruining the improv.

It's okay. It's catchy, but I also don't think it's particularly great either.

I do think it'd be better with vocals as it's kind of set-up to feel like it should have vocals rather than just whistles, "Oooo-aaahh-aahhh's", and the like. As a result, it feels like something is missing. The sort of Samba tone works well for the game, but I also will say the song reminds me of a few things and as a result I don't really completely associate with ARMS. And due to their being a lack of something to latch onto outside of catchiness (nothing consistent with the game's themes, verses, a melody, or any unique textures), I think it kind of fails as a main theme, but is alright catchy as a regular song. It can get in your head okay, but I also don't find strong individuality to make it associate for me.

What? I think this is more the case of you entirely missing all of those elements. For instance your comment on the ooo-aaahs and whisltes feeling off completely misses the point that those are suppose to be evoke the feeling of crowd cheers, which makes sense considering ALL the audience members in each fight are fans (who wear shirts/masks of their favorite fighters) and these fights are meant to be large scale spectacles. It's suppose to be akin to a sporting even in the game world. If you listen to any sporting event theme song they all have a similar sound, minus the cheering. They're bombastic, base and guitar heavy, fast paced and high energy

Not bad I guess, but I left it on and youtube autoplayed the soundtrack of Wild Arms (because...Arms) immediately after and...man, that is a really good soundtrack

Theosmeo

It's kinda boring, a shame it's reincorporated everywhere. The modulation near the beginning is far too basic to base the entire song on.

finngamer

Love the theme. I actually got goosebumps during the Direct when it was playing on top of the gameplay, when the singer goes to the second part of her song.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What? I think this is more the case of you entirely missing all of those elements. For instance your comment on the ooo-aaahs and whisltes feeling off completely misses the point that those are suppose to be evoke the feeling of crowd cheers, which makes sense considering ALL the audience members in each fight are fans (who wear shirts/masks of their favorite fighters) and these fights are meant to be large scale spectacles. It's suppose to be akin to a sporting even in the game world. If you listen to any sporting event theme song they all have a similar sound, minus the cheering. They're bombastic, base and guitar heavy, fast paced and high energy

I know that's what it's meant for, but you missed my points. All the elements are hearable in any number of other songs. I'm sure you've heard songs with ooo-aaahhhs and whistles in them. As a regular piece of music it works well enough but it still feels it's missing something to me, a lead of sorts. However as a main theme, I just don't think it has anything which makes me think "This is a theme I'll remember as the ARMs theme years from now!" From Nintendo themselves, listen to any of their various other main themes, from Mario, to Zelda, to Pikmin, to Splatoon, and tell me you think this ARMS theme is in the same league as them.

It's not a bad piece of music, but I think it falls flat as a main theme, and a big part of that I think is because its distinguishing features are too typical and lack personality and the song is missing a lead it sounds like to me. It is catchy, and the song itself is fine as just a song, but I think it lacks any oomph or unique identity as a main theme. It sounds similar to several dozen other pieces of music you can hear elsewhere already.

LotusHD

Banned
I know that's what it's meant for, but you missed my points. All the elements are hearable in any number of other songs. I'm sure you've heard songs with ooo-aaahhhs and whistles in them. As a regular piece of music it works well enough but it still feels it's missing something to me, a lead of sorts. However as a main theme, I just don't think it has anything which makes me think "This is a theme I'll remember as the ARMs theme years from now!" From Nintendo themselves, listen to any of their various other main themes, from Mario, to Zelda, to Pikmin, to Splatoon, and tell me you think this ARMS theme is in the same league as them.

It's not a bad piece of music, but I think it falls flat as a main theme, and a big part of that I think is because its distinguishing features are too typical and lack personality and the song is missing a lead it sounds like to me. It is catchy, and the song itself is fine as just a song, but I think it lacks any oomph or unique identity as a main theme. It sounds similar to several dozen other pieces of music you can hear elsewhere already.

Definitely agree to disagree on the bolded...

skypunch

Banned
The "oooooooh" melody is a bit too basic, imo. I don't like the second part of those vocals. It's shortened and it feels like it doesn't do enough after the last "oooh" and then just repeats it again. It's lacking an extra something.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The "oooooooh" melody is a bit too basic, imo. I don't like the second part of those vocals. It's shortened and it feels like it doesn't do enough after the last "oooh" and then just repeats it again. It's lacking an extra something.
The version of the Direct actually has a really solid ending after the Nahs.

Giga Man

I can't stop singing it. It's not even all that, it's just really really catchy, criminally so!

I hope the version in the Direct that had the "Yeah!" at the end will be in the game, like in the credits or something.

Finally found where the whistle sounds came from, Donut Plains!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB3QinXuaXI&list=PL5990B46A0E6B1092&index=7

Love the song, it has lots of character and just feels well produced overall. Was listening to it for fifteen minutes watching the demos on the testpunch and it has been stuck in my head since.

Nintendo uses that whistling sound a lot, especially in Mario soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYeLhWa2Ddk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxKDKlUWifk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzEr_LXqfc

It's fun to hunt for. :)

TwiztidElf

I don't have Arms, but that is very cool music.
It is unique and identifiable.
Whenever I've heard it playing in a game shop, or an ad comes on (like during Evo yesterday), but I'm not watching the screen, I immediately know it's Arms still.

Top Bottom