• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiMe price change on Switch: digital now 29.99, OST code included in retail SKU

emb

Good looking out! Sounds like the Switch copy is coming later anyway, so I can't get on board with that one. But listening and being reasonable is always great to see. And the game's getting close enough that I'm starting to get a tiny bit hyped for it. I'm at least curious, gonna try to pick it up.

Shiggy

Well, between this and Puyo Puyo Tetris, it seems there's a loophole in Nintendo retail / pricing rules: just add a special bonus to the retail version and you can release a game on the digital storefront at a lower MSRP.

It's doubtful that there is such a policy in place. It's perhaps a recommendation. On 3DS, more than a few titles were more expensive at retail.

gtj1092

That's a great decision. If it runs well on Switch, I'll get it for that (physical).

This is quite noteworthy though, as some doubted that going physical on Switch isn't more expensive than on other platforms:

Third post but no one is reading it. Too busy gloating I guess.

Kyne

glad I picked up the physical copy on Amazon for $30 when it was up.

dat cover art.

wblz4cg9t8ky.jpg

First off.

Gotta love the attitude. I get addressing the elephant in the room, just reads like they're doing us a favor.

I'm glad digital is the same price, I'll probably play that for that price.

Kureransu

Well this is nice. I was lucky enough to have my Mario Kart 8 deluxe delayed five days, so i called and complained. They siad they would issue me a credit on my next purchase. Went ahead and order rime and it came out to 12.72 shipped. Definitely in anyway lol.

Great. I think people could understand the price difference for the physical version, but the price of the digital version was the problem. I don't know who was at fault, but I'm glad this issue is resolved. Good on them.

basefree

You from the future or has there been reports of issues already?

I'm being speculative (I know, terrible habit) based on the build of the PS4 version I played last month. It had frame rate issues. The game itself is fantastic though, so I hope they iron out the performance kinks in time.

tolkir

Thank you GreyBox to rectify and thank you Switch owners to ask a fairer price respect to others platforms. I will preorder Collection's Edition when I can.

Shiggy

There are $30 retail games.

There are even EUR20 retail games. But just because it's like that, would you expect other publishers to release at that price? Would you expect Nintendo to release Mario Odyssey for EUR20?

Not a very compelling argument.

Wamb0wneD

And just like that they have another purchase, even though it seems they try to cash in on the European version for some reason lol. Almost the same price as before. But hey, at least the US and other palces got a fair price now.

Edit nvm, missread the Soundtrack thing!

It's doubtful that there is such a policy in place. It's perhaps a recommendation. On 3DS, more than a few titles were more expensive at retail.

It's possible that it's a new policy. If that's the case, I'm glad they thought of a way that would create price parity and allow them to sell a physical copy as well. (Plus, to be honest, I like the whole bonus with a physical cartridge thing...)

See, this is the smart way to handle it. Just give Switch buyers something extra digitally or physically if they have to pay more for the physical version.

Adding the OST to the retail package is a good enough reason for me to buy the retail version at a higher price.

This is a well done situation solver.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
This. Although, didn't they attempt to give some BS excuse when they were called out on pricing?

There was no 'BS' excuse. What we announced was, and still is the legitimate reality of things. We have been working hard on getting a solution that fit within the confines of that reality and that we felt was fair.

MTC100

Banned
That's a great decision. If it runs well on Switch, I'll get it for that (physical).

This is quite noteworthy though, as some doubted that going physical on Switch is more expensive than on other platforms:

Who doubted that? Carts are of course way more expensive(but as a plus for the consumer way more durable and will likely last forever) than BDs, it also depends on how much data they can store, bigger carts are more expensive than smaller ones.

It's good to see that developers find ways to compensate for the higher prices, like with this download code or with puyo puyo tetris giving away free keychains for example.

glad I picked up the physical copy on Amazon for $30 when it was up.

dat cover art.

Looks amazing.

jonno394

Switch owners looking to buy this also get the benefit of hearing how good/bad the game is for months and can cancel if necessary!

I locked in an Amazon preorder a while back. Hoping the game is good.

OryoN

If you're being blatantly tooled, make noise! Gamers have a voice and a social platform. It's up to these companies - not the consumer's perceived unlimited income - to do their best to ensure their software have a better chance to succeed.

Switch owners looking to buy this also get the benefit of hearing how good/bad the game is for months and can cancel if necessary!

I locked in an Amazon preorder a while back. Hoping the game is good.
My plan. Even get the good physical price.
Not really in the mood to accept terrible performance on the Switch especially if it's late.
Hope it's good so I can keep my pre order

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
First off.

Gotta love the attitude. I get addressing the elephant in the room, just reads like they're doing us a favor.

I'm glad digital is the same price, I'll probably play that for that price.

Hmm, interesting feedback! I am sorry if that is how it read. We looked at all possible solutions and this one seemed the most sound (get it?).

Shiggy

Focus should now be on Minecraft Story Mode, which is listed for 44.99 EUR on Switch, whereas it's sold for 34.99 EUR on all other platforms.

13ruce

Banned
Why 34,99€ that's not 29,99€:p
I don't get the 5 euro price increase since Euro and Dollar are always simular so is this just dumb EU tax?

correojon

I had decided to ignore this game due to the initial pricing controversy, now I'll check it out and buy it if I like what I see. Kudos to the devs for the 180, but next time try not to lie to us so blatantly.

emb

There are $30 retail games.
Right, the statement out of context sounds off for that reason:
On the physical side, we can’t lower the price without selling at a loss
This was earlier in the article though:
The reason for the higher price was due to the additional development, manufacturing, and publishing costs involved with that port.
And I think that first point has to play into it here. Seems like an overall consideration of investment including doing the port, vs how much return they can expect based on price and expected number of copies to be sold. If it were just the cost of materials, I really doubt 40 would be the break even point. (But hey, I don't know much.)

This is firmly in the 'Definitely waiting for reviews and impressions' category for me, but that box cover art sure is pretty...

Harlequin

Idk, selling at a loss @ $30 sounds like they'd lose money by selling the game. Don't think that's the case

Right. Because games just magically grow on trees somewhere and you don't need any money to develop them or market them or print them or distribute them.

Turrican3

Well, I think the most interesting fact that comes out of this is an (indirect) confirmation that there is actually no policy being enforced by Nintendo regarding the price of digital VS physical releases, like Eurogamer was claiming.

Top Bottom