• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

Exile20

5 star: (239)
4 star: (21)
3 star: (9)
2 star: (11)
1 star: (204) - Most of the complaints were of broken PS4

0.4%? Really?

Edit: Looks like all of them so far

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do you have to receive the item to review it? It could be because of Amazon fucking up shipments. I know a lot of 'launch day consoles' got suddenly moved back

Racer1977

There are 500k-1m consoles out there, and less than 500 reviews (good and bad), on Amazon.

This site is a far better barometer of the state of play as people post about good and bad experiences. Review sites generally attract the disgruntled minority, particularly in the early days.

The top part of the amazon box had bubble wrap on it and the bottom part didn't. When I got the amazon box I was able to shake the console inside the amazon box. It does seem odd that amazon is getting a lot of one star reviews for it

Tak3n

Banned
Do you have to receive the item to review it? It could be because of Amazon fucking up shipments. I know a lot of 'launch day consoles' got suddenly moved back

you have the option to 'prove' you purchased it, but I am not sure if anyone can review

wotta

The problem with Amazon is that you can review an item even if you have not purchased it. We all know this will happen to Xbox One too, it's a but sad really.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
If you need to troubleshoot something out of the box it deserves the single star.

I disagree completely. One star is for false advertised stuff that does not do as it should. Troubleshoot, then give two or three stars if it works eventually. One star if it's truly a dud.

If you spend five minutes getting a R290X to work and give it a one-star because you had to troubleshoot for those five minutes, that is not fair to the producer.

- J - D -

A lot of them are verified purchases as well. That said, without knowing how many units Amazon has sold, theres no easy way to deduce the ratio of good to bricked units.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
it turns out UPS fuckin tossed my shit over the fence...fuckin assholes

Vaiim

The problem with Amazon is that you can review an item even if you have not purchased it. We all know this will happen to Xbox One too, it's a but sad really.

Still about 66% of the 1star reviews are by legitimate Amazon buyers however, plus some will be buyers from other places who just want somewhere to vent. So the number of fake reviews is still fairly low, 25% at best.

Lucent

Those with working consoles are playing and not giving reviews.

Pretty much. I hardly ever review stuff I get off Amazon. Just don't feel like it. lol

Mine is from Amazon and it's been working fine so far save for the one lock-up it suffered from updating Warframe. Seems to be blowing air our all sides that have vents. Pretty cool air. Top doesn't get too hot. Probably about as warm as my PS3 slim gets. HDMI port was fine. No desyncing issues with controller.

I really hope it has no problems in the future though. At least not for a year or two. Live long enough for a revision.

Exile20

Maybe you don't know, but Amazon.com didn't ship just 500 PS4's... ;)
And of course almost everyone who has a problem will post this in the internet and give their bad reviews, while others don't.

That is still alot of DOAs reported. This isn't just amazon. Don't you think DOAs came from other stores also? It starts to add up.

Sye d'Burns

While I doubt many console failures can be attributed to it, Amazon really did a lousy job packing the console. Nothing I enjoy more than opening the box to see those big air bag bubbles on one side of the box while the other is offered not even a minimum of protection.

Then again, the UPS driver left the box by the garage, in plain view of the street, to get soggy in the drizzle.

For the record, my PS4 does work, not that any of my headsets work with it, if you discount the BF4 error.

Still, it hasn't really been my day.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I was forced to cancel my preorder because I suddenly needed the money, but now I think I dodged a bullet. I'll probably order one by Christmas if I got the chance.

erawsd

That's the dumbest shit I've read all day.

If you spend five minutes getting a R290X to work and give it a one-star because you had to troubleshoot for those five minutes, you are a fucking idiot.

You clearly haven't read what you've wrote then.

Seriously, why are you even so hostile about it?

NoTacos

5 star: (239)
4 star: (21)
3 star: (9)
2 star: (11)
1 star: (204) - Most of the complaints were of broken PS4

0.4%? Really?

Edit: Looks like all of them so far

Are you assuming that all retailers are receiving an equal amount of the bad batch? Because I would think that bad batches are sent out in just that, batches.

danwarb

I don't write user reviews of systems that arrive broken. I send them back for repair/replacement. If the replacement is DOA, then I might complain.

This looks like a lot unless it's console wars nonsense. The few I read seemed genuine.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
That is just insulting and unnecessary. If you read the comments, a lot of them are DOAs.

If you read the comments and take them as gospel, sure. You shouldn't do that.

Many of the issues are solved by powercycling televisions while the PS4 is connected, changing HDMI cables, or restarting the console itself.

This is simple. This does not merit 1 star.

viveks86

And of course almost everyone who has a problem will post this in the internet and give their bad reviews, while others don't.

This. When stuff breaks, people will vent out. Not necessarily the case when it works fine. The comments section on day one isn't enough to draw conclusions.

When you issue a statment for percentage of broken system you do with the numbers of consoles known as broken in THAT moment in ratio to the one you know you built.

And you don't keep updating the figure.

This percentage was given immediatly (and not after few weeks like would be more logical for a reliable percentage).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Not sure if it is being reported but if you look at the mass of 1 star reviews (allowing for a percentage of fake reviews, just like fake 5 star ones) there seems to of been a big issue with Amazons stock?

203 1 star reviews vs 238 5 star reviews

Its circumstantial evidence supported by a selection bias.

Amazon sent out a LOT of the PS4s that people got and complaint threads are filled with people making complaints, not happy customers. I don't think there's a provable correlation between Amazon's PS4 stock and hardware failures.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Simple but who the hell wants to send a PS4 back after waiting so long for one?

Right, but if the issue is a black screen (no signal) that can easily be a failure to handshake properly via HDCP.

My point is that there seem to be a large number of people who are eager and at the ready to accept their console as faulty without trying to fix the issue.

Stimpack

If you read the comments and take them as gospel, sure. You shouldn't do that.

Many of the issues are solved by powercycling televisions while the PS4 is connected, changing HDMI cables, or restarting the console itself.

This is simple. This does not merit 1 star.

While I can't say I entirely disagree with that you've been saying, I will say that it's in your best interest to tone it down. You don't want to get banned for something as stupid as petty remarks.

I agree that troubleshooting does not warrant 1 star, and that it's a stupid thing to say. Leaving it at that is best, though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I've said this a few times:

I was a packer at Amazon before. The employees don't give a hell and don't put enough dunnage in the boxes for adequate protection. There were no repercussions either. All the supervisors care about is packing x number of boxes per minute/hour.

I'm pretty sure that was why they had a falling out with Nintendo and the 3DS.

Everything I get from this is like this. It's got to the point where game cases are damaged if I don't order them alone to get the smallest packaging.

It's probably time for me to retire when my prime runs out in Feb.

They are good about replacing items or giving it free if it was cheap tho.

The broken PS4 my friend ended up with was from a local GameStop. I don't think it's a problem exclusive to Amazon shipped PS4s.

Top Bottom