• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, really that quick?

I left myself in essentially a media blackout regarding FFXIII so I know very little, hell all I knew was the central character was called Lighting and nothing else until recently! Color me intrigued.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Wow, really that quick?

I left myself in essentially a media blackout regarding FFXIII so I know very little, hell all I knew was the central character was called Lighting and nothing else until recently! Color me intrigued.
It's been 4 years...... -_-

Does the PS3 version switch resolutions between gameplay and cutscenes? The reason I ask is because my TV takes a moment to adjust resolutions and I could imagine it always doing that between cutscenes getting rather annoying...

SlaughterX said:
Does the PS3 version switch resolutions between gameplay and cutscenes? The reason I ask is because my TV takes a moment to adjust resolutions and I could imagine it always doing that between cutscenes getting rather annoying...

CG's are 1080p, ingame cutscenes and the pre-recorded ones are 720p.

BocoDragon said:
It's been 4 years...... -_-

If you're thinking I'm being facetious I not. I didn't pay much attention to FFXIII save for the occasion pics and trailers here and there. After the first 2 years, my growing lack of curiosity, especially with JRPG, essentially gave myself a self-induced media blackout for most of the game since I kept myself interested in other games.

Seriously, I didn't know any of the other character names until like this week.

I saw an EU copy of this in a CEX store in the Uk today, it was in the window, opened box so I thought "oh its just a display one" then I looked in and there sat the manual and beneath the display was a rather nice looking cardboard case cover for it aswell.

SlaughterX said:

It isn't switching at all for me. Everything is staying in 1080p. The in-game stuff may be originally rendered at 720p but it certainly displays at 1080p. Good news!

BocoDragon

HomerSimpson-Man said:
If you're thinking I'm being facetious I not. I didn't pay much attention to FFXIII save for the occasion pics and trailers here and there. After the first 2 years, my growing lack of curiosity, especially with JRPG, essentially gave myself a self-induced media blackout for most of the game since I kept myself interested in other games.

Seriously, I didn't know any of the other character names until like this week.
I'm just sayin, let's say you met a 15 year old girl on the day XIII was revealed... well now you'd be looking at a legally bangable 19 year old college student.

BocoDragon said:
I'm just sayin, let's say you met a 15 year old girl on the day XIII was revealed... well now you'd be looking at a legally bangable 19 year old college student.

While that was an excellent metaphor, I think my original intention was lost, I was initially commenting on the speed of the battle system. :lol

Duki

Banned
Dice said:
I was majorly annoyed with FFXII and this seems to be taking my issues with it a step further.

Really? You could make FFXII the slowest game in the world if you just manually input commands for everyone.

I don't see why you'd want to, since gambits were the greatest thing ever introduced into a FF battle system, but it really wasn't a particularly fast-paced game.

BocoDragon

HomerSimpson-Man said:
While that was an excellent metaphor, I think my original intention was lost, I was initially commenting on the speed of the battle system. :lol
Oh shit :lol You can see how I was led astray by the second thing you said in that post.

As a person who doesn't play very many RPGs, this game looks awesome. I'm just afraid to buy it because I don't know if I'll be able to finish it. Only RPGs I've ever beaten are Earthbound, Mother 3, and a Pokemon game or two. I think it'll help that this game is more linear. If the game leaves me with too much control or too many choices, I usually just quit because I don't know what to do.

Really hope I can finish this though. It'd be my first proper Final Fantasy game.

Onemise said:
is the Gamatrailer's review spoiler free?

I think Vanille said there's a big boss spoiler?

Their reviews usually do have quite a few spoilers, so I'm not watching it just to stay on the safe side.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've got a random question.

I remember people saying that it was possible to move around (albeit slowly) in the JP version by way of the analog stick and the menu selection was only possible via the D Pad.

Now I hear that in the US/EU version menu selection can be done via both, does that mean it's not possible to move around during battles AT ALL anymore ? I mean slow as it might be, wouldn't that allow you to avoid enemy swipes and such occasionally ?

Duki

Banned
CruxisMana said:
I think Vanille said there's a big boss spoiler?

Their reviews usually do have quite a few spoilers, so I'm not watching it just to stay on the safe side.

There's no way to know that it's a spoiler while watching it though, from what I saw.

If nobody mentioned anything, no one would even remember what bosses were shown in the trailer when they play the game.

duckroll

chandoog said:
I remember people saying that it was possible to move around (albeit slowly) in the JP version by way of the analog stick and the menu selection was only possible via the D Pad.

That is completely untrue.

Peff

chandoog said:
I've got a random question.

Now I hear that in the US/EU version menu selection can be done via both, does that mean it's not possible to move around during battles AT ALL anymore ? I mean slow as it might be, wouldn't that allow you to avoid enemy swipes and such occasionally ?

You have to change between D-Pad and stick to use them in battle, they're not both active at once, but I think whatever you're not using only moves the camera around.

chandoog said:
I mean slow as it might be, wouldn't that allow you to avoid enemy swipes and such occasionally ?

That was the original design for the battle system, however it proved to be too difficult to implement.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
duckroll said:
That is completely untrue.

Was that in the ACC demo then ? because I'm sure I was told by multiple people that you can move (slowly) during fights.

duckroll

chandoog said:
Was that in the ACC demo then ? because I'm sure I was told by multiple people that you can move (slowly) during fights.

No it wasn't. The only way you "move" in the game is by timing your attacks and relying on the animation to influence the position of the character. Just like in FFX-2.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My Gamestop just called me and said they won't be having a midnight event for FF13. Weird, I thought it would.

Pooya

Relix said:
My Gamestop just called me and said they won't be having a midnight event for FF13. Weird, I thought it would.
They usually have midnight events when they get many preorders I think, right? maybe your specific GS store didn't have that many orders.

dramatis

Relix said:

The pre-orders must be looking like the stock market right now, going up and down :lol

No, you cannot directly control movement in fights at all. You can think of something like, "I want to hit those 2 enemies with my ranged attack", but you think they will move. Your stack of commands may contain

[Ranged attack (whatever they call it)][Attack][Attack]
------------------------------------------------

but your bar can only charge so fast before you lose the advantage of hitting multiple enemies with your ranged attack. Knowing that your character will "run forward" to a position where he/she will do the attack is a form of controlling movement. So you chose to execute your only charged command instead of waiting for your whole chain to fill up and "move" your character.

....It sounds like a bunch of jibberish. But yeah, control comes in your knowledge of the character animations and where their attacks will hit, things like that.

Jeels

dramatis said:
The pre-orders must be looking like the stock market right now, going up and down :lol

assuming people outside of the internet crowd are drama mamas like gaf

"What, Leona Lewis?! Canceling my order!"
"Oh wow, PS3 has inside cover art, preordering again!"
"Oh man, these reviews are the last straw, I'm totally canceling my order!"

Popped my pre-ordering cherry for this game. Although it was more just trading some old games that still had a little value. Can't wait till Tuesday.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
CG's are 1080p, ingame cutscenes and the pre-recorded ones are 720p.
jesus, this is gonna totally suck since the ps3 doesnt upscale 720 resolutions. Im gonna be stuck with my tv showing a fricken display mode changing every 5 minutes.

Zoe

~Kinggi~ said:
jesus, this is gonna totally suck since the ps3 doesnt upscale 720 resolutions. Im gonna be stuck with my tv showing a fricken display mode changing every 5 minutes.

For one, it does upscale as long as the developer enables the option. Two, it's not going to be switching resolutions on the fly.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Zoe said:
For one, it does upscale as long as the developer enables the option. Two, it's not going to be switching resolutions on the fly.
Oh, well thats good then. As long as my tv stays set at 1080p and doesnt have to switch whenever a cutscene loads. That wouldnt make much sense either.

Vanille

BocoDragon said:
If anyone has the US copy.. Show me the inside cover art. Still haven't seen any photo proof yet.

98hjlg.png

lol juniors arguing.

The thing I have with the faceplate is that its 'vertical' and I have my Xbox horizontal; it would just look weird.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Gestahl said:
Dude, I joined in 2008, like half a year before you. I just don't spam 300 messages in a couple months. Gotta take my time, nice and easy like.

I thought you get member status just after a few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom